Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to run a power wire...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
Upgraded my speakers to Infinity Kappa 62IX mounted in 914 Rubber's pods. Massive upgrade in sound...but would still like a little more low-end "punch". I'm going to install a Recoil SL1708 subwoofer inside the console cavity (no holes in console, it just sits inside there!) and need to run a power wire.

What is the "easiest" way to get this through the car? Sorry if this is a silly question but I haven't messed with any electrical stuff yet and can't see how the current wires from the battery enter the vehicle. Seems like they come in behind the seats so maybe there's some kind of "sealed" pass-thru through the firewall? My lift is not in yet so I have somewhat limited access to the bottom of the car and would rather not take the seats out if I don't have to!

Thanks! - Rick
euro911
There's a rubber snorkel that the OEM wiring runs through the tunnel and is routed up through the panel in front if the motor into the engine compartment.

It isn't an easy task to introduce additional wires through the snorkel, especially large-gauge high-current carrying conductors ... See this thread ... and this one

You may need to drill an additional hole and install a rubber grommet in the firewall to get from the battery location into the tunnel and up to the console area, or wherever you plan to mount the power amp/sub woofer.

That's what I did when running a 2-conductor 10AWG siamese power cable for a two-way radio that I installed in my '75.

confused24.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Rick986 @ Oct 27 2021, 02:08 PM) *

Upgraded my speakers to Infinity Kappa 62IX mounted in 914 Rubber's pods. Massive upgrade in sound...but would still like a little more low-end "punch". I'm going to install a Recoil SL1708 subwoofer inside the console cavity (no holes in console, it just sits inside there!) and need to run a power wire.

What is the "easiest" way to get this through the car? Sorry if this is a silly question but I haven't messed with any electrical stuff yet and can't see how the current wires from the battery enter the vehicle. Seems like they come in behind the seats so maybe there's some kind of "sealed" pass-thru through the firewall? My lift is not in yet so I have somewhat limited access to the bottom of the car and would rather not take the seats out if I don't have to!

Thanks! - Rick

Hi Rick,

The bad news is that the power supply wires go into the interior of the car through the main wiring harness through the snorkle tube and then run along the tunnel up under the dash. If you are looking to run a power wire to the sub woofer, I would look at running off of the fuse panel so that it is a protected circuit.

Kevin
bbrock
With the engine out I was able to pull an 8 gauge wire through the harness snorkel surprisingly easy by fishing a wire through first and then pulling the cable. I put off the job for months thinking it was going to be a giant PITA, but it took less than 20 minutes to get the job done. Having the engine out lets you pull the harness down so the snorkel is somewhat straight to make fishing and pulling doable.
Rick986
Hey Kevin - Thanks for the response...but how do you "run it off the fuse box"? Just tap it into one of the empty circuits? (I think I have a couple).

If you'd rather PM me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Oct 27 2021, 03:29 PM) *

Thanks! - Rick

Hi Rick,

The bad news is that the power supply wires go into the interior of the car through the main wiring harness through the snorkle tube and then run along the tunnel up under the dash. If you are looking to run a power wire to the sub woofer, I would look at running off of the fuse panel so that it is a protected circuit.

Kevin

slivel
Be sure to include an appropriately sized fuse at the battery end. Without it, if the insulation ever rubbed through or got cut you may have some unscheduled welding going on in your car.
Shown is the fuse for the power wire to the power amps in my van.
Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(slivel @ Oct 28 2021, 10:29 AM) *

Be sure to include an appropriately sized fuse at the battery end. Without it, if the insulation ever rubbed through or got cut you may have some unscheduled welding going on in your car.
Shown is the fuse for the power wire to the power amps in my van.

agree.gif You need to look at the power and wire gauge requirements of your powered sub or amplifier to run the sub and make sure you aren't trying to pull more current from the fuse box than it can handle. Making bass takes power so usually you run a heavy gauge wire from the battery with a heavy duty inline fuse. It all depends on your equipment needs though. My amp is not huge and requires a 40 amp fuse and 8 gauge cable. You aren't going to be able to connect that to the vehicle fuse box.
windforfun
Add a Pi filter just before the sub to eliminate alternator noise.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Rick986 @ Oct 28 2021, 08:52 AM) *

Hey Kevin - Thanks for the response...but how do you "run it off the fuse box"? Just tap it into one of the empty circuits? (I think I have a couple).

If you'd rather PM me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Oct 27 2021, 03:29 PM) *

Thanks! - Rick

Hi Rick,

Kevin

Hello again Rick,

I got to thinking about it last night and it would really depend on how much power it pulling. It might be better to run it stright off the battery as it probably will require more amps than you will have at the fuse panel. While it is a PITA to run the wire through the snorkel, it is doable just be vrey patient and plan on spending a day to do it. You'll need a wire to push through from the interior of the cat and then use wire lube to get everything back through. Just make sure you put an in line fuse near the battery so if something were to short it won't fry your wiring harness. I'm just not sure the old fuse panel has any available amperage to drive a modern Sub like the one you are installing
Shivers
Keep everything out of the cabin that you can. Leave the stock wiring system alone. It is not designed to add a high amp draw. Extra lights, amps whatever. Straight from the battery to a fuse block, to a relay. Low voltage switch leg goes inside for lights. Keep the electrical fires outside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.