Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 rustoration / subaru 6cyl project in Kansas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Alain V.
It really feels great to finally start “installing “ pieces on the car instead of cutting stuff off of it.
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Congrats on scoring that spot welder. SOOOOOO much better than the HF model and your results look great! No plug welding/grinding, eh? Almost feels like cheating, doesn't it? biggrin.gif
Really nice work! smilie_pokal.gif
Alain V.
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 8 2022, 09:01 AM) *

Congrats on scoring that spot welder. SOOOOOO much better than the HF model and your results look great! No plug welding/grinding, eh? Almost feels like cheating, doesn't it? biggrin.gif
Really nice work! smilie_pokal.gif

It sure does. Using the spot welder sure seems to save a bit of time.
Alain V.
Well,I didn’t get a chance to work “on” the 914 directly in the past few weeks………but I did manage to pick up a running 2003 outback “donor car” with a 3.0 in it for under $1 k.

The car has almost new tires, alternator, and battery.
I’m almost going to feel bad when i harvest its engine.

Planning to use it as a daily driver until I am ready for an engine for the 914.

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
A few days after getting the donor car, I came across a 5 speed transmission.

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
The transmission came from an 05 non turbo car. The previous owner had replaced it because he had trouble with it getting stuck in 5 th.
Upon inspection, I’m pretty sure it just needs a 5th gear bearing.

I will be installing a limited slip from subaru gears during the refurbish of the trans.Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Yikes! I can't believe it's been over six months since I've made much progress.
I did finally get to spend a little "quality time" with it over the last two weeks and am making small steps forward.

I drug the whole thing outside to do some blasting on the inside of the longs in order to get all of the leftover surface rust out.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
after a few minutes of blasting.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
treated the area with ospho, then shot it and the inside surface of the new panels with epoxy primer.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
clamped/screwed the new panels into place , then used the spot & mig welder to install.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
After I ground down some of the welds on the repair area, I epoxy primed and prepped the chassis stiffener panel.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
after clamping it down with tek screws and every pair of vice grips in my shop, I got about 90% of the welding done. I know some of you have seen these repairs many times, but it seems like every 914 I've ever come across needs this done.
Some may notice that I welded the jack post holes shut. This is because I have decided that I won't ever use the factory jack & want to have smooth outer rocker covers when finished.

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
with the pass side stiffener nearly done, I welded in the last patch for the driver side.
Hopefully, I can keep this momentum going and fit/install the stiffener on the driver side next weekend.

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Well, I didn’t get as far as I planned this weekend,,,but I am making small steps forward.
I managed to get the driver side stiffener clamped down & mocked up, then punched/ drilled all the holes in it. Going to try and prep/ prime the inner surface, then weld it on next weekend.
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Nice work!
930cabman
Great progress and just love the spot welder, talk about original ......
Alain V.
Well, it’s been a while since I’ve posted any progress pics.
I haven’t been able to put any consistent time into the car lately,,,but I did manage to get the mad dog inner long stiffening kit installed.Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Also finally started working on the hole in the left front of the floor.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Click to view attachment

Just need to do some grinding to smooth it out, then will make the box part for the inside. A shrinker/stretcher might have made this easier,,,,,,, but I’m enjoying the challenge of trying to make shapes with what I have on hand.
East coaster
Nice work! I tackled this area on my current project, it’s not an easy spot to address.
Alain V.
got a great looking, lightweight engine lid from Sergio recently.....forgot to update my build page. Click to view attachment
Alain V.
finally got around to installing my suspension console. Just need to clean up the welds and install a new bracket for the brakeline.Click to view attachment
Alain V.
I sandblasted the inside of the brace for the trans mount , hit it with some ospho then gave it a coat of paint to try and resist future rusting. I wanted to make sure and hit this area now, before I put the rear trunk floor panel in.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
I've also started on the rear stiffening panels. ....mostly because it gives me piece of mind that the arch area above the axles has a bit of thickness added.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Temporarily put the pass seat bracket in place so I could locate & weld the little support hinge in the right spot .Click to view attachment

Just “baby steps”,,,,, but at least it’s moving forward
Alain V.
Made a quick repair on the rusted front support. I didn’t bother making it look identical to original since this area is going to end up closed in with radiator ducting.

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Now to try and deal with the rust in the front cowl to fender & frunk seal area.
I’ve actually been dreading this area the most as I really really don’t want to remove the front fenders. I’m going to just try to strategically clean,treat and repair with as little disturbance as possible here.

Of course the other side needs attention too. It’s definitely not as bad as some of the car’s I’ve seen though.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Small steps of progress here & there.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Finally fitting and welding the trunk floor piece in.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
I had my donor tail panel and rear quarter pieces stripped by one of those “laser” devices. He got them stripped to bare metal, but warped my quarters so badly that I need to get some off another car. Oh well, lesson learned. Obviously that process produces quite a bit of heat.

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
I had to patch the center of the tail panel in the bumper area because it was rusty and pitted pretty badly where it welds to the trunk pan.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
I didn’t go crazy with the finish of it since the repair patch will be hidden by the bumper.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Starting to do final test fit to plan out where I can use my spot welder, and where I might need to drill holes for plug welds.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Click to view attachment

Tried out the “Coopers paint stripper”, stripped both doors and even was able to soften up/remove bondo. The stripper works good and is pretty quick to lift off multiple layers of paint.
Alain V.
Click to view attachment
Very happy with the results.
Alain V.
Click to view attachment
Went to test fit my carbon trunk panel, and it looks like I’m going to have to learn how to repair carbon fiber. There is a 3/8 gap on the driver side. Way too big. When I flip the trunk over, it looks like the skin was bonded on too far towards the pass side.

I wasn’t expecting a perfect fit,,,,but,,,,dang…….I didn’t think I was going to have to figure out how to add material to the skin.
Alain V.
Pass side fits a little tight……which is no big deal as it is far easier to remove material than add it on.Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Looking from the bottom, it looks like the skin must have shifter towards the pass side when bonded to the framework.
Click to view attachment
slowrodent
Yep. It should not be on you to repair poor craftsmanship. Bummer
914GTSTI
QUOTE(Alain V. @ Aug 29 2022, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Aug 29 2022, 11:23 AM) *

Soda blasting ?

Nah, I had some stubborn rust that I had a hard time trying to sand or wire brush, right where the rear firewall and long meet.....
So I modified my harbor freight pressure blaster with a larger hose and more professional type nozzle and am using the “black diamond” stuff from tractor supply. It works pretty good but I should have worn some type of full body suite, because it basically will coat you with black charcoal. I was smart enough to wear a respirator and full hood,,,,but I had short sleeves on and my arms looked like I had been rubbing charcoal all over them.

What grit ?
Alain V.
I don’t remember what grit of the black diamond stuff was. I got it from my local tractor supply store. The bag is long gone so I don’t have it for a reference.
Alain V.
I decided to finish up all of the metal work first, before messing with the carbon trunk lid.
I temporarily reinstalled both doors so I could set the front gaps and start fitting the sail & quarter panel sections.

Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Also started test fitting the door sill.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Ran into a bit of a hiccup at the bottom of the door jam here. Looks like I’m going to have to put a slit in it and narrow it a little. Been staring at it trying to find the best way to approach this.
Click to view attachment
Alain V.
Here you can see how the bottom is hanging out too far. I’m going to try and take a look at another car and see where I need to adjust mine.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.