Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any nw people up for a grand tour
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
messix
while at the air cooled show today i proposed a drive thru the country backroads of snohomish and skaget co. to a couple of members that where there and it seemed like they thought it was something that people had expressed intrest in the past.

i can offer to lead a three to five hour tour of some really great backroads [ no highway or interstate].

i'm available on saturdays in august
Michael J
That would be a great drive. driving.gif I ride my Harley up through the skagit valley, Tulalip res, Poulsbo and it would be a good day for the 914. Hope you get more interest.
Dead Air
QUOTE (messix @ Jul 30 2005, 07:32 PM)
snohomish and skaget co.

i'm available on saturdays in august

[QUOTE]

Where the fuck is that.

I've got tues off in Dec, 2007 confused24.gif
messix
nw = NORTH WEST UNITED STATES.

DA
Dead Air
That's way over there, who cares. How about a 914 in demo derby. See "Sacrolege"
reverie
Troy, nice to meet you today. Your '75 looks great!

I'll be there, whatever Saturday you decide. This is an excellent idea that has been talked about for two years, and you are the first person offering to put it together. Thank you, and bravo!

aktion035.gif driving.gif ~ Rog
ArtechnikA
i'm in north west Philadelphia...
that's near the east bay.
(Chesapeake Bay...)
John Kelly
Hi Troy,

Thread hijack: I have the driver's seat I told you about. It is in a little better shape than yours. You can have it free. Give me a call: 206-367-3305 or email: ghiafab@msn.com

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Michael J
I'm thinkin that the only way your going to get much response is to pick a date and see how it flys.
porsha916
Hi, I am interested, pick a date, I will try to make it, and invite my friends with 914's.
messix
how about august 13th, then again on the 27th.

might take different routes to different locations. the 13th thru La Conner. the 27th to levenworth ala highway 2?

La Conner will be back roads and two lane country highway.
reverie
In the immortal words of Daffy Duck, "I like."

Troy, you are one ambitious dude.. clap.gif
Michael J
So the 13th works for me but not the 27th.
Eddie914
Looking for a "little" drive on the backroads?

The "R Gruppe" is taking a "little" 1000 mile drive starting the 13th via Leavenworth Washington, Grangeville Idaho, Hells Canyon and returning the river roads of NE Oregon.

There are a number of vacant grades that will be visited (such as Whitebird Hill - 17 switchbacks, 62 turns and 3000ft of elevation in 9 miles).

Here is a pics of the Mt. St. Helen's run.

Eddie
messix
i'm thinking meeting up in millcreek at the sharis resturant at 9 am leave at 10am. back in the same area around 3 to 4pm. we'll stop for a couple of pit stops on the way [food, pictures , poty, and what not].
DNHunt
I may be up for the 13th. Isn't the 27th Whistler Weekend. I'm not going to have the rebuild done and enough miles on it so, anybody that wants to go incognito can hide in my smoke screen.

What not at the stops means oil.

Dave
rhodyguy
post a few ideas of the roads you have in mind. i know the area pretty well. whistler weekend is 27,28,29.

k
914werke
Ive suggested it before, Hwy 530 up to Lake Cavanaugh and the Arlington Darington rd is a great twisty drive wink.gif
pjhaun
Oak Harbor, Wa. is having its annual Car Show on Aug 13.
rhodyguy
530 is a nice one rich. unless they straightened it out there used to be a nice series of banked curves about 5 miles out of arlington. for a nice adventure taking the mt loop hwy and coming back down thru silverton and verlot is an old fav from my skipping school days. wink.gif . the res road from marysville to warm beach and stanwood is pretty crowded these days.

k
smooth_eddy
How about Saturday 8/20? That way it would not interfer with the Whistler weekend? idea.gif A nice twisty turny road is Hwy 9 from Arlington heading North. Hwy 530 does have one nice banked curvy area but the rest is pretty straight and boring. My .02. Eddy
rhodyguy
meet at getchel hill road and hwy 9 at 8? futher north of arlington and it makes for a longer freeway drive home for those living down south. i would vote for arlington to darrington, mt loop back to granite falls, hill climb up mt pilchuck, left at g.f and monroe via lake roesiger, duvall, carnation, north bend (stop at dave's for a bathroom break), seattle guys can hit I-90 home and south sounders take hwy 18. we'll be pretty tired. i know another route to granite if others fear the mt loop.

k

smooth_eddy
i would vote for arlington to darrington, mt loop back to granite falls

The Mt loop Hwy is closed. Road washed out and has not been repaired. Plus, it is gravel in places right? Eddy
messix
from millcreek out seattle hill rd , lowell laraimer rd , broadway, elliot rd, to high bridge rd into monroe, chail lake rd to lake rossiger rd to granite falls. jordan rd ro arlington, hwy 9 north to lake whatcom to fairhaven. then south chuckanut dr to La Conner. then old pac. hwy to kayakpt though top marysville then sunnyside bv though snohomish and could end there.

hows that for a route off the top of my head?
messix
oh, and the 20th is no good, i'm oncall that week.
rhodyguy
fun stuff, nice run. jordan rd, shame you can't jump off the old swinging bridge without getting a ticket. sorry you have to work. shall we save it for sept?

k
messix
remember the 13th is la conner.

and for those not going to whistler we can do a day trip to leavenworth [lots of great roads around there] .
reverie
These drives fill a void in the local schedule. There are no Bremerton autocrosses this month, but there are two in September - on the 3rd and the 24th.

Most of these old roads are new to me. laugh.gif
rhodyguy
product of a misspent youth in snohomish county rog. ax in pland sept too. this month is pretty well sown up.

k
reverie
Thanks for the tip on the roses, Kev.. they're looking beautiful! smile.gif

And now back to our program..
rhodyguy
make sure you give them a good drink weekly with this hot weather. use a watering can. keep the leaves dry. if you didn't get any systemic you should apply some now. this product is pretty inexspensive. can't make rose hip tea tho. now back to your regular programming.

k
pjhaun
Radio station KBSG (97.3) is having a Car Show. First they are staging everybody in Tacoma and than they are having everybody drive from Tacoma on I5 to Northgate south parking lot for the Car Show. The Car show is free.
messix
just a thought, we could detour in to oak harbor to the car show and cut the rest of the scenic drive short. [thanx pj]
porsha916
So what is going on for the 13th, I need the address where we are going to meet because I am not familiar with some of the place's that were talked about!!! huh.gif

biggrin.gif Take Care Bill biggrin.gif
messix
from I 5 north or south, take the 164 st sw [i dont know the exit number] this is north of lynnwood and south of everett. head east to mill creek[ about three miles. you will go down a long hill to bothell everett hwy and a shopping center where there is a mc donalds and a shari's resturuant, this is on the north west coner of the intersection thats where we'll meet up.

i'll have my cell phone with me if any one gets lost or needs some more directions.

Troy 425-418-8816
messix
can i get an idea of how many people are plannig on going on this first tour de la Messix

P.S i think this can be open to non- 914 cars also since i have met so many members that theyre teeners are on stands, so welcome all. just come for the fun.
sportlicherFahrer
is that the same parking lot that has Round Table Pizza in it? I'm down for showin up. But after that I will just be following. I have no clue where I would be goin on the roads up there. I have been familiarizing myself to the south side of Ranier lately though cool.gif
messix
thats the one
Michael J
OK, if the planets all stay alligned I will be there - with the 914. driving.gif Looking forward to it.
sportlicherFahrer
thats just funny. My old VW club (Eastside Aircooled- the guys that just put on that show at the HS) went there for our meetings for a while. The one place that I know how to get to in Mill Creek! Coincidence? confused24.gif
DNHunt
Make me a solid probably. Since I'm not dropping Old Smoky until after Whistler I might as well drive it.

The reason for the probably is it's my 12 years old birthday party and she's having a sleep over. So, it depends on how the wife is feeling. I'll try to find a time when she's at her weakest. I'll probably have to watch a rerun of Oprah with her. High price to pay I know but worth it I hope.

Dave
rhodyguy
jeanne says i should go. no rain, ok. in the shari's lot, 8-depart by 8:30? can you print up a few routes copies when you nail where we're going? the south sounders unfamiliar with the nothern territories will be so confused.

k
messix
that a way Dave, take one for the team!

getting to mill creek is easy. the route we will take spans two counties, and most some of the roads are not on the state maps. I'll go over the tour "rules" at shari's. I have a CB radio if anyone else has one we can use these for lead to tail communication.
rhodyguy
south sound guys heading north for this. dave hunt and i will be at the port of tacoma offramp at 7. take the exit and turn right (not as tho you are actually going to the p.o.t). you will see us directly in front of you in a parking lot. fog lights on. leave promptly at 7:15. I-5 to hwy 18, to 167 north bound, to 405 north bound. head count please.

k
sportlicherFahrer
sounds good Kevin! Gonna try to get that day off, but for now I'm on the schedule to work. dry.gif I will also bring my two way radios with me if I go. I have one for myself and 2 extras if need be.
messix
bring those radios, great idea.

took a little drive last night on part of the route driving.gif
what a great drive.
rhodyguy
i have a couple of 2-ways also. not that you can hear the chirp at 5 grand with the top off. smile.gif

k
messix
icon_bump.gif
sportlicherFahrer
It looks like there is a slight chance that I will make it. Doing everything that I can though! What is the praying emoticon?
Yoei66
Hey, this sound like fun. I have a couple things I might be able to blow off this weekend to drive up & check this out. I have the directions to the shari's resturuant meeting place. What time in the morning is everyone meeting?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.