Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Labor of Love: A Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dion
Exciting times popcorn[1].gif anticipation building!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(914werke @ May 27 2023, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 20 2023, 01:45 PM) *
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 19 2023, 11:49 AM) *
Thanks for.those setups Glenn! Is a 4 speed 901 gearbox easy to come by?

You can convert any 4 to a 5 and any 5 to a 4. No problem.

That may be a interesting tech video? idea.gif

Already covered in my rebuild DVD. It’s more involved than simply swapping 1st bits.
BillJ
Trans from Dr Evil and headers from MSDS were mated with the Charlie of Renngeist engine!

BillJ
I did get a high performance flywheel and clutch from Patrick Motorsports. Did not go the aluminum or ultra mimimal flywheel mainly because i have no experiences with them.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 1 2023, 10:55 AM) *

I did get a high performance flywheel and clutch from Patrick Motorsports. Did not go the aluminum or ultra mimimal flywheel mainly because i have no experiences with them.

sweeT!!!! looking great! cant wait to see/hear this, let me know when you get to Roebling Road with it.

beer.gif piratenanner.gif cheer.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
BillJ
Great progress last week. Oil lines, thermostat, new cooler, and filters all plumbed now. Fuel system is set as well with dual pickup and new tank. Engine and trans are in and i transported the car to get final assembly and breakin done. Getting pretty darn close now for sure.
brant
Looks great!
930cabman
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 13 2023, 10:14 AM) *

Looks great!

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
BillJ
Thanks. The encouragement really helps. My desire to make sure everything is done right (which takes time) competing with the desire to get out there and race (temptation to cut corners) is in a constant tug of war!

If anyone sees something they are not quite sure about let me know! Or any questions on what i used am happy to share. Pretty much everything inspiring either came from experience or just as likely from here so very grateful for this place.
BillJ
Havent updated in a while. Car is with engine builder awaiting final assembly and dyno
Also going to add in throttle and steering positioning sensors to complete driver aids/analysis. Packed it up and drove it to destination last weekend.
BillJ
Inside updated transport
Bullethead
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
brant
Which data system are you using?
I badly need to replace my traq mate and have been procrastinating
BillJ
Two step process for me. Wiring was all hinky and fried so went with the AIM PDM08 system. Essentially manages everything with solid state fusing. Very customizable and fairly easy to setup. It includes the power distribution module, gps beacon, and the aim dash as well. Hooked up a smartycam which automatically starts when driving. You do need to wire the harness or it can be done for you. I worked with Matt Romanowski and he made it relatively painless.

https://trailbrake.com/pdm8/
BillJ
@brant did that help?
brant
yes sir.
thank you
Matt is really a great resource.
I spoke with him once about it... and looks like a great solution
need to do this... just prioritizing money..
but looks like the right system.
brant
BillJ
Yeah it is not cheap. Think it was around $3k when all was said and done. However with all 100% new wiring and lots of flexibility was worth it. Get the 32 not the 8 like i did. Prices seem to have went down a little so should net out
BillJ
Have not updated this in quite some time. Had gotten the car back and did some dyno time to get initial breakin started. Not overly interested in looking at hp/tq numbers but just make sure it was set to initial tune. Car sounded good and was excited to get it to the track for continued breakin laps and had 1.5 days to do that set on Summit Point with PCA.

Some pics from Sept last year.
BillJ
Got to the track and ran for a few laps before encountering some stuttering. Shut the car down and rolled in. Glad i did that it would turn out.

A lesson learned is that after any intiial break in you must retorque everything. Turns out that during breakin there were a couple studs that pulled out and one of the head stud nuts loosened up. After Peter Dawes was kind of enough to loan some of his guys for some diagnostics they found these issues. Net result was no apparent damage thanks to shutting down quickly and there was confirmed zero damage upon imspection after disassembly once i took the car back to my builder. He is finishing the case work and putting it all back together i hope by end of this month. We made a change in the head studs to a more appropriate type and oversize inserts to ensure we dont have another issue. We want it right.

Long journey. Patience rules.

In the meantime i bought a 2020 911 to manage my speed urges. evilgrin.gif

BillJ
Got to the track and ran for a few laps before encountering some stuttering. Shut the car down and rolled in. Glad i did that it would turn out.

A lesson learned is that after any intiial break in you must retorque everything. Turns out that during breakin there were a couple studs that pulled out and one of the head stud nuts loosened up. After Peter Dawes was kind of enough to loan some of his guys for some diagnostics they found these issues. Net result was no apparent damage thanks to shutting down quickly and there was confirmed zero damage upon imspection after disassembly once i took the car back to my builder. He is finishing the case work and putting it all back together i hope by end of this month. We made a change in the head studs to a more appropriate type and oversize inserts to ensure we dont have another issue. We want it right.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 6 2024, 03:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Nice "compensation" drooley.gif
i cant afford that type of compensation but i may have a 944 in the "werks" or works as the case maybe - anyway looking forward to seeing this /6 in person!!
BillJ
Engine ready to go back in!
BillJ
It is a good day today! Engine finally reunited and will be hooked up fully and running next week.
brant
Nice work
Exciting
BillJ
Engine alive and dyno next friday.

My Webpage
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.