Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Labor of Love: A Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eric_Shea
Great story Bill. smilie_pokal.gif
BillJ
Work is progressing consistently. New rear decklid with period correct latches and have the gt drilled style hinges from Oscar to install on both ends. Had a new fuel cell and mount put in along with new shroud and cooler from Patrick motorsports installed. Lines for oil and fuel need to be reinstalled..
doing new oil lines. Engine case is getting boat tailed while we wait on internals. Thinking custom Mahle for ps and.cs, carillo rods, pauter rockers and pushrods, etc. I want this engine to be perfect.
NARP74
@BillJ who is John in Denver, the engine builder, not the musician?
BillJ
Not Denver CO biggrin.gif . Have a different person building this motor. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more
Maltese Falcon
Car is looking good Bill ! Your engine builder also builds awesome shipping crates. One of his very "Special" deliveries was a race trans brought to a small California airport in his Cessna, close to the track. It was for a client that broke his 915 box on Saturday...but finished the race weekend with a fresh gearbox !
marty914.jpg
windforfun
I think I'm in love.

grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif
BillJ
Picked up a porsche classic dished steering wheel with emblem. I like the momo that is in there now but this one is very slick.
BillJ
Collecting more goodies to be installed for the new buildout.
BillJ
So a component that was really not that great was my quick release. It is the style that has two pulls on either side that allowed you to remove the wheel. At times it would bind and not easily release. Never had to escape the car but if that part doesn't release quickly when i really need it to then that is a safety issue. So i asked here and did some research and found i liked the design and operation of the rennline version. Only two downsides. 1. I cant use the porsche crest horn button unless i use what, to me, is an ugly retaining ring. So i may try and find a sticker to put there or leave as is. Not a biggie really.

Click to view attachment

Second issue is the now much longer assembly putting the steering wheel maybe an inch or more closer than i want. Does anyone know if a short hub adapter exists for the 914-6/911 steering shaft? Current one (it is the black accordian hub in the second picture) is 3" deep. Do they make.one that is shorter than that? 1" would be ideal. Current one is the collapsible version which i dont need with six point harness and race seats.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Your car is looking great, I’m almost jealous (don’t say that out loud near my car). I’ve been dreaming of an rs+ spec 2.7 for years, already have the 7r core.

I look forward to your impressions of your new engine on track, are you going under 2.5L?
tygaboy
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 31 2023, 05:52 PM) *

Would you be willing to share where you got those exhaust tips? Or did you make them?Thanks.
BillJ
Yes building a legal 2.4 on the off chance they check. It is pricier to do that way because it requires custom Ps and Cs. Having LN do those. Also having Extreme do the heads. Hope it will work out well.

The car did previously have a 2.7rs-ish motor. The issue with that is of course it is in the same class as the 3ltr RSRs which it just cannot compete with (at least with me driving) and its too big to run in the up to 2.5 class. According to a couple of the groups i run with one cannot build larger than 2399cc. There are quite a few cars in the under 2.5 ltr class as well and looking forward to compete and have fun.
BillJ
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 9 2023, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 31 2023, 05:52 PM) *

Would you be willing to share where you got those exhaust tips? Or did you make them?Thanks.

Sierra Madre sells the bursch line. They include silenced and non silenced in a couple different finishes. I had some made that are just the pipes with cookie cutters but wanted something for tracks with noise limits.

https://sierramadrecollection.com/products/...hone-set-p55902
BillJ
Latest update is that i got new steering wheel and as it is dished it was too close to me when harnessed in. So got a shorter hub adapter from rennline and installed today. Much much better and it looks pretty clean now as well.

Dion
This is coming along so nicely. That will be a nice power plant for sure. Looking forward to more.
BillJ
QUOTE(Dion @ Feb 18 2023, 05:53 PM) *

This is coming along so nicely. That will be a nice power plant for sure. Looking forward to more.

Thanks Dion for the encouragement! Every time i address somethng there is something else that pops up so it never really ends. Everyone here knows that drill!
BillJ
I shared case pictures before but now have the heads from Extreme Heads in FL to share. These are custom billet heads specifically designed for this engine. Excited to see how they work and certainly hope they live up to the hype. This is the shop that builds the heads for the Singer cars...
DRPHIL914
drooley.gif
Maltese Falcon
Hi Bill, the cyl heads resemble Cusimano "D" port billet heads of the 935 days, some lucky 930 Street guys ran these too biggrin.gif Love this 9146 racer/ restoration!! Good call on the fire suppression Foam...I'm stealing your idea & putting this into the 8-gtt build.
Marty
number40_914.jpg
gms
Bill those heads are works of art!!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BillJ @ Dec 7 2022, 11:05 PM) *

At a test and tune day at CMP in August had a rod come through the case. Bad luck for sure and now starting from scratch. Here is the starting point, a 7R case with all the tricks redone by ollies:

Curious on shuffle pins vs stock. What drive the decision for you?
BillJ
So the case i sourced out of AASE had already had all the work completed (aside from boattailing which the builder has done) and did NOT include shuffle pinning. There are differing opinions out there but many say on the magnesium cases that you should not pin due to higher risk of cracks developing. Aluminum cases from what i heard should be.
BillJ
New upgrade will be this comms system for racing. May certainly come in handy especially for longer runs and for knowing when that green flag is flying! Helmet is already wired and has correct plug, mic, and speakers so all i have to do is install in the car.

BillJ
Build has started in earnest. Here are some pics to enjoy beerchug.gif
BillJ
One more
ClayPerrine
Did you do the oil pressure relief mod on the case?

BillJ
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 5 2023, 10:55 AM) *

Did you do the oil pressure relief mod on the case?

Yep all good there evilgrin.gif

The case was fully worked by ollies. Only thing not done was shuffle pin and that was intentionally due to being mag. If was aluminum then it would have been done as well.
BillJ
Heads as done by Extreme
BillJ
Head and the custom jes with LN Nickies
BillJ
Well the bearings came in and the bottom end is now sealed up! Getting excited.
BillJ
Adding some in flight pictures for everyone's amusement. Let me know for questions!
BillJ
A few more.
BillJ
So a bit of a bummer just now. As buider was torquing the head studs, two of them pulled out. Now have to take the engine back down and do timeserts for those two. Not a huge deal from what he tells me but definitely costing time. headbang.gif It was looking nice too....

BillJ
So big milestone today ss the long block is assembled and tight! Next are cams and timing.

Very excited to get to.this point for sure. Should be starting the process late next week of getting the rest assembled and getting it in the car.
Dr Evil
Happy and honored to be part of this build. I am about to wrap up the 6 case build. This build was started with a barren 6 case (used, not NOS), and after a long discussion Bill decided what gears he wanted to go into it; A, GA, O, V, Z. We used data on my site to see what was bolted to similar engine configurations, and what goal was at what RPM. Today is final assembly and then ship it out.

Step 1, the case and cleaning with the laser.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Next, now that the mag alloy is bare, time to put protectant on it to prevent future oxidation. I like Gibbs. Easy to use, lasts a long time.

Freshly lasered
Click to view attachment

Gibbs
Click to view attachment

After Gibbs
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Next, onto the usual work of setting everything up correctly. Since this was a barren case, I had no start point as I couldnt use the pinion, or diff that came with it so I had to get close and then adjust from there. It didnt take but two adjustments for the pinion and one for the diff to get preload, back last, pinion depth all set perfect.

the N number on the head of this pinion was 10, and I just happened to hit that mark dead on. Tolerance is +/-0.03mm.
Click to view attachment

Using prussian blue I check the contact pattern of the ring and pinion. I do this with all builds because rarely, but not never, you can set everything perfectly to spec and it will not have the right contact pattern. The newest of these is 47yo or so, there will always be some wear. It calms me to take this extra step.
Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
On to the gear selection and assembly. Chosen from my stock were A, GA, O, V, Z. New teeth, sliders, bands affixed, everything assembled and forks adjusted. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
very nice! Curious what the stock 914/6 gears were vs what was selected, what was the goal, is it racing?
BillJ
Hey Phil. Yes race only. Stock gearsets and ratios for a standard 6 box are A 3.091, GA 1.778, O 1.217, V 0.9259, and ZA 0.7586.

So essentially i am only changing the last gear from ZA to Z 0.7931. Doesnt seem like a lot but that ZA gear is way too long and the rpm drop too great to be effective coming out of a faster corner like last corner at Road Atlanta for example. The gear selection keeps me in the anticiapted power band for every gear.

My former box has M, S, X as final gears and i would run out of rpm on the straight at most tracks i run. Was very frustrating to watch other cars creep away as i had to hold at 125mph basically. No fun.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 17 2023, 01:17 PM) *

Hey Phil. Yes race only. Stock gearsets and ratios for a standard 6 box are A 3.091, GA 1.778, O 1.217, V 0.9259, and ZA 0.7586.

So essentially i am only changing the last gear from ZA to Z 0.7931. Doesnt seem like a lot but that ZA gear is way too long and the rpm drop too great to be effective coming out of a faster corner like last corner at Road Atlanta for example. The gear selection keeps me in the anticiapted power band for every gear.

My former box has M, S, X as final gears and i would run out of rpm on the straight at most tracks i run. Was very frustrating to watch other cars creep away as i had to hold at 125mph basically. No fun.

I had rebuilt mine back about 8 years ago and changed the 4 & 5, to i believe a HA and x- what ever the 3rd was in stock box flipped for 5, making 5 like a 5.5, i got great mileage on highway and it wanted to cruize at about 80-85 but lower than that not enough rpm for proper cooling and too big of a gap between 3&4 for using 4 in the hills and mountains, but i used it in and around bluffton HHI on the highway. so when i pulled the trans a few months ago to do new seals etc i put those back to stock .
Is that Z going to give you the ability to get up above that 125? what do you think your top end MPH will be?

Phil
BillJ
With my redline and tire size we are looking at around 142.5mph.
Dr Evil
Last before its packed and shipped.

Selected a tail cone from a donor, dirty but not corroded. Had concretions and all manner of crap contaminating it. The laser, preceded buy a little elbow grease, made short work of it.

Scrape of the chuncks.
Click to view attachment

First pass patch with the laser to assess wattage and duration was appropriate.
Click to view attachment

After I let'er rip.
Click to view attachment

After Gibbs treatment and installed.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 17 2023, 12:17 PM) *

I race on low speed tracks and high speed tracks to I have 2 gear boxes
I find that a 4 speed meets my needs for the short box
Short Box gears A-H-Q-X
Long Box gears A-H-P-V-ZA
BillJ
Thanks for.those setups Glenn! Our gear stack is really close. I do have a 904 mainshaft waiting for a future build as well to get creative. Is a 4 speed 901 gearbox easy to come by?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 19 2023, 11:49 AM) *

Thanks for.those setups Glenn! Our gear stack is really close. I do have a 904 mainshaft waiting for a future build as well to get ceative. Is a 4 speed 901 gearbox easy to come by?

You can convert any 4 to a 5 and any 5 to a 4. No problem.
BillJ
Things are starting to come together. Engine will be at the shop on Tuesday. Transmission arrived yesterday. And today they started the install for the oill lines. I have taken the decision to replace essentailly all the lines and a new cooler up front. The oil tank was professionally cleaned as well. Also adding a thermostat and second oil filter. Not leaving anything to chance.

A couple shots of the install so far
BillJ
Throwback time while i am cleaning the garage. My dad 23 years ago. Same car
914werke
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 20 2023, 01:45 PM) *
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 19 2023, 11:49 AM) *
Thanks for.those setups Glenn! Is a 4 speed 901 gearbox easy to come by?

You can convert any 4 to a 5 and any 5 to a 4. No problem.

That may be a interesting tech video? idea.gif
BillJ
It is a good.day.... engine is assembled by Charlie and ready to install flywheel and clutch. Trans will follow and be ready to install! We do have a slight delay as the oil lines are not fully installed yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.