Full Version: Rear 5-Lug with 944 Parts, PART II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bondo
QUOTE (914Timo @ Oct 12 2005, 05:40 AM)
THat renault trani is HUGE!!!

It is not that huge.

UN1 left and 915 right.

I dunno about using French car parts.. last time I did that it was a huge mistake. (Pugeot clutch master cylinder in my Mustang.. the Mustang rejected the transplant) biggrin.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (914Timo @ Oct 12 2005, 04:40 AM)
THat renault trani is HUGE!!!

It is not that huge.

UN1 left and 915 right.

TimO,

I may be asking you about how you will adapt CV's if I get one. Prices are reasonable but shipping to US is high. What clutch and flywheel will you use?
914Timo
I may be asking you about how you will adapt CV's if I get one. Prices are reasonable but shipping to US is high. What clutch and flywheel will you use?

They sell adapters in UK for normal CVs. They are not cheap and I will check if I can machine them cheaper here.

Clutch and flywheel ?? I don´t know. First I have to find a way to bolt it behind my engine. The bellhousing is problem number one first. I have SC clutch and flywheel and I have my conversion flywheel and old 911 clutch. I hope I can use one of them. rolleyes.gif

Sorry to hear that the shipping is so expencive...... sad.gif
Verruckt
Hey guys, what is it that Pelican is using here...

user posted image

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._SUSaxl_pg1.htm

Are they having the axles reproduced, hence the high cost? I can't tell what parts they are using based on the pic, but it doesn't look like the stock /4 axle to me. I could easily do this conversion cheaper than what the cost of those axles are.
redshift
confused24.gif Bus?

My Renegade had bus axles.

M
ClayPerrine
Those are either bus axles or 911 axles with adapters.

neo914-6
QUOTE (914Timo @ Oct 14 2005, 12:35 AM)

They sell adapters in UK for normal CVs. They are not cheap and I will check if I can machine them cheaper here.

Clutch and flywheel ?? I don´t know. First I have to find a way to bolt it behind my engine. The bellhousing is problem number one first. I have SC clutch and flywheel and I have my conversion flywheel and old 911 clutch. I hope I can use one of them. rolleyes.gif

Sorry to hear that the shipping is so expencive...... sad.gif

Well I let the Renault slip away at $745 I just couldn't justify paying another $600 to have it shipped here. The good thing is it had the cable shifter included. I will regret it if it had the Derek Bell conversion but the owner was unsure...
Randal
Had to resurrect SirAndy's classic thread on 944 turbo CV joints.

Just a heads up.

I'm not sure that it was mentioned anywhere, but here is one thing to check before you get back out there with your car.

Be sure to measure the distance between the new 944 (much wider) CV joint and the back of the out put shaft. The output shaft is the one that bolts to the transmission.

You want the 8mm (1.25) bolts to go all the way through the output flange and come out on the other side. Probably 8-10mm.

I wasn't thinking when I put mine back in and used the 45mm bolts that were previously holding on the 914 CV. Well they are short and you will end up stripping the flange when you torque them in, i.e., they are not engaging all the thread.

So make sure you have about 8-10mm showing out the back of the flange when the bolts are installed through the 944 CV's.

Also make sure you are using the 12 (whatever) grade bolts.

These flanges aren't cheap, so best to do it right the first time. dry.gif

PeeGreen 914
Another trick is to buy nylocks and put them on the backs. I was told racers do this all the time. I did it to one side that was having issues with backing out and it worked perfectly beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
These flanges aren't cheap, so best to do it right the first time.

And they're really hard to find. A few years only before the spline count changed.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 21 2011, 02:43 PM) *

Had to resurrect SirAndy's classic thread on 944 turbo CV joints.

Just a heads up.

I'm not sure that it was mentioned anywhere, but here is one thing to check before you get back out there with your car.

Be sure to measure the distance between the new 944 (much wider) CV joint and the back of the out put shaft. The output shaft is the one that bolts to the transmission.

You want the 8mm (1.25) bolts to go all the way through the output flange and come out on the other side. Probably 8-10mm.

I wasn't thinking when I put mine back in and used the 45mm bolts that were previously holding on the 914 CV. Well they are short and you will end up stripping the flange when you torque them in, i.e., they are not engaging all the thread.

So make sure you have about 8-10mm showing out the back of the flange when the bolts are installed through the 944 CV's.

Also make sure you are using the 12 (whatever) grade bolts.

These flanges aren't cheap, so best to do it right the first time. dry.gif

agree.gif

I used a set of 944 bolts. They seem to be the correct length ...
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.