Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 10 2023, 01:56 PM) *

The issue with sticky tires is that I could only run them about 7 months of the year. As long as there is no salt on the road, I'm driving my 914. This year the season started in March and "ended" in December. This year alone my car has seen rain, snow, hail (and that was all in just ONE drive).

As much as I'd love sticky summer tires in the late spring, summer and early fall, I don't want to ruin tires driving when road temps drop below 40.

Zach

We run sticky summer tires on the 4.0L and the /4. No issues here with running them year round. poke.gif

The /6 is just a tourer, so it got 195/65-15 BFG tires, not sticky tires.

930cabman
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Jan 10 2023, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 10 2023, 06:02 AM) *

I can’t believe no one is running sticky tires
These cars are about handling. Summer grip. RA1’s are street legal

agree.gif It's the last thing between you and the road. Put on a good pair of shoes and have fun! +1 for CN36s.

Correction: "Only thing"
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 11 2023, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 10 2023, 01:56 PM) *

The issue with sticky tires is that I could only run them about 7 months of the year. As long as there is no salt on the road, I'm driving my 914. This year the season started in March and "ended" in December. This year alone my car has seen rain, snow, hail (and that was all in just ONE drive).

As much as I'd love sticky summer tires in the late spring, summer and early fall, I don't want to ruin tires driving when road temps drop below 40.

Zach

We run sticky summer tires on the 4.0L and the /4. No issues here with running them year round. poke.gif

The /6 is just a tourer, so it got 195/65-15 BFG tires, not sticky tires.

Eventually I'll move back to Tx. And then I'll be able to run sticky tires all year too.

Zach
second wind
I have been running Goodyear Eagle GT's 205/60R15/91V.....have enjoyed every mile with these tires....I might make it to the beginning of summer but then will have to find a replacement set of tires. I guess 15" tires are a bit more difficult to find in a good M & S performance tire....I would appreciate any suggestions the world may offer....\
Thank you,
gg
rjames
I appreciate everyone's input. I know these tire size/brand threads have been beaten to death over the years, but I only buy tires when I have to replace the old ones, and opinions and tire availability changes.

So I think I have settled on 195/65/15 and the Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs.
Van B
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 26 2023, 07:51 PM) *

I appreciate everyone's input. I know these tire size/brand threads have been beaten to death over the years, but I only buy tires when I have to replace the old ones, and opinions and tire availability changes.

Booo! Crap choice baahhh! bootyshake.gif

Just kidding! Please post up your impressions after you’ve enjoyed them a while!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 26 2023, 08:51 PM) *

Just kidding! Please post up your impressions after you’ve enjoyed them a while!

steady on old chap. beer.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

but.....you might have a point. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

actually my reason for sticking with 165s is so i don't overpower the lack of baffles in the fuel tank going as hard as i can around round abouts. (i lost the baffles when i remodelled the fuel tank for rhd firewall mods 30 years ago). its got to have at least a third of a tank in it if i do more than two orbits.

also i'm probably saving the engine from oil starvation. its not like the old afrika corps technology engine is running a dry sump to cope with the g-forces.
rjames
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 26 2023, 06:51 PM) *

Now just hoping the shop will be able to balance them properly.
rjames
Quick update:

I decided to go with Vredestein Hitrac all seasons instead of the Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs as they were slightly better rated in all categories, especially grip and feel, and were pretty much the same price.
I have only put a few miles on them, but my impressions of them are very good so far at both low and high speeds. Small bump compliance is very good, and road noise seems minimal.

My only compliant is that they don't look very aggressive, but I guess can live with that.
195/65/15r

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.