Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Compartment Blower Hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Van B
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 25 2023, 08:44 PM) *

I ordered some of the napa/dorman hose, should be in on Monday. No stock of any size to even look at.

@NARP74 how did that NARPA hose work out? Same result as @930cabman

And yes… I know exactly what I’ve done bootyshake.gif lol-2.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 14 2023, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 25 2023, 08:44 PM) *

I ordered some of the napa/dorman hose, should be in on Monday. No stock of any size to even look at.

@NARP74 how did that NARPA hose work out? Same result as @930cabman

And yes… I know exactly what I’ve done bootyshake.gif lol-2.gif

That's hilarious, you will suffer the wrath though... I was waiting for someone else to do it!
I have not installed the hose yet, I am looking for a suitable support hook for the middle of the long hose. The NARPA biggrin.gif hose is a smaller ID and will be a better fit than the other options I have purchased blindly online. It is a tight fit on both the single and dual outlet connectors and should be just as good on the lower connection as well, just haven't tried it yet.
My only complaint, and this goes back to the original question is that the spiral wound hose seems to be more flexible and need more support due to material and construction. The accordion type, as some else called it, uses more substantial material, plastic or a heavy rubber even. I have a short piece of hose in a parts stash I found that is different than the one in the first pic, but would be perfect. No idea where it is from or what it is for. It almost supports itself , looks good, had no ridges at the connection ends and was made to last in a hot environment unlike the plastic original ones.
NARP74
Something like this could work for the hose support. You would not need to disassemble the clamp to get the hose out if it is tight enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254461954179?var=0...8d771a06937991b

I hear horses!
Van B
@NARP74 you just need a piece of aluminum flat stock from lowes. cut it, bend it, and drill holes in each end for through bolting.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks-0-0625-...m-Solid/3053633
Superhawk996
6 pages and still going. . . Over hose av-943.gif

914 mania has encroached upon 911 territory. rolleyes.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 15 2023, 02:21 PM) *

yep. i realise now i am going to have to kill myself. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

if its any comfort the NARP concept is still alive and well.
filled up the 914 with gas on monday.
nice quiet day, public holiday, city deserted.
was having a real pleasant day.
minding my own business at the gas pump.
then this black macan pulls in and hes got a whole gas station to choose a pump from.
but has to pull up next to me.
gets out.
first thing out of his gob. "ah a nine one four, pity its a volkswagen".
ah. i think. the species is alive and well. c$%ts who drive porsches.
quick as a flash i came back at it.
"yeah - just like yours ....... very nice toe rag you got there mate".

end of conversation.
went off and paid my gas bill.

one thing you can be sure of.
no fool is going to be sitting around in 50 years time sweating a heater hose on a macan. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif or searching through VW parts catalogues to find the alternative from a toe rag.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 15 2023, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 15 2023, 02:21 PM) *

yep. i realise now i am going to have to kill myself. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

if its any comfort the NARP concept is still alive and well.
filled up the 914 with gas on monday.
nice quiet day, public holiday, city deserted.
was having a real pleasant day.
minding my own business at the gas pump.
then this black macan pulls in and hes got a whole gas station to choose a pump from.
but has to pull up next to me.
gets out.
first thing out of his gob. "ah a nine one four, pity its a volkswagen".
ah. i think. the species is alive and well. c$%ts who drive porsches.
quick as a flash i came back at it.
"yeah - just like yours ....... very nice toe rag you got there mate".

end of conversation.
went off and paid my gas bill.

one thing you can be sure of.
no fool is going to be sitting around in 50 years time sweating a heater hose on a macan. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif or searching through VW parts catalogues to find the alternative from a toe rag.

first.gif aktion035.gif lol-2.gif
930cabman
Hope the OP got the hose, for the rest of us we have a level of entertainment beer.gif
NARP74
Too right! @wonkipop the Aussie spirit and humor is alive and well.
Gatornapper
TRUE, VERY TRUE! Ask me how I know.....

Bought new hose from 914rubber, did not fasten middle on longer hose, got eat up when sucked into cooling fan.......

DUH!

GN

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 21 2023, 11:31 AM) *

Tried that it was very flexible and moved around a lot, especially the long side. I have heard that the longer hose can get sucked in to the engine cooling fan if it is not supported somehow in the middle.

Van B
Uh Wonki, a Macan is NOT a Touareg! Don’t put that voodoo on me!

A Touareg can tow a 914 from Atlanta to Maryland with only one stop for diesel and BBQ; a macan, cannot.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 15 2023, 07:27 PM) *

Uh Wonki, a Macan is NOT a Touareg! Don’t put that voodoo on me!

A Touareg can tow a 914 from Atlanta to Maryland with only one stop for diesel and BBQ; a macan, cannot.

i didn't realise you could translate auslish!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

be careful with the toe rag diesel.
my mate just blew his up.
bad dose of diesel fuel he picked up at an obscure country gas station.
its a write off.

basically it hydrauliced the engine on injector overfueling.
V6 version. its either cracked the head or the block.
the dealer couldn't work out which.

i was with him when it happened.
have more details.

if you get bad fuel, stop immediately.
get it towed and cleaned out.

we knew we got the bad fuel and were in the process of trying to get to the dealer.
blew it up before we could get there.

really surprised me.

they are good cars.
i always enjoyed our country trips to job site inspections in it.
real shame.

(if yaa-all interested one day i'll list out all the nicknames aussies rebrand cars with,
kind of ryhming slang. eg ford falcons are known as falc-hoons, because hoons drive em. don't know who rebranded tourags, buts it a good one and its stuck and now in general use. years ago range rovers were rebranded "toorak tractors". holden commodores were commode doors. became dunny doors after a few years. holden sunbirds were sh#tbirds. etc. the list is extensive.
brubou
So after 6 pages, WHAT am I buying and WHERE am I buying it from...
Sprout
Here's a pic of the Dorman 96003 hose I installed using the original clamps. It a pretty long hose, so I just cut what I needed to make it fit. I bought it at Advance Auto Parts, I think it was $18.
Click to view attachment
NARP74
QUOTE(brubou @ Mar 28 2023, 07:51 AM) *

So after 6 pages, WHAT am I buying and WHERE am I buying it from...

Well the Dorman/NAPA hose is a good alternative. It is 2.25 in, for those stateside. It is a tighter fit than the 2.5 inch some suppliers sell. NAPA will sell it by the foot so if you are only doing the short side you don't have to buy all of it. If you are doing both sides, you can buy all of it. The long side will need to be supported in the middle by a clamp or something.

Still looking for perfection, sometimes that takes a little longer.

Cheers
Jamie
QUOTE(Sprout @ Mar 28 2023, 06:06 AM) *

Here's a pic of the Dorman 96003 hose I installed using the original clamps. It a pretty long hose, so I just cut what I needed to make it fit. I bought it at Advance Auto Parts, I think it was $18.
Click to view attachment

Dang, that silver hose looks just like clothes dryer vent hose! confused24.gif
NARP74
It's black, that's just light reflecting off the hose. Are you trying to make this hit 7 pages?
Sprout
QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 28 2023, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Sprout @ Mar 28 2023, 06:06 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Dang, that silver hose looks just like clothes dryer vent hose! confused24.gif

It's definitely black, and made for vehicle application. The sun just made the hose shine that day!
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 21 2023, 07:35 PM) *

here is page from 411/412 parts catalogue.
had it filed away.

the original mod, whether by dealer or by owners back in the day, was sourcing parts from VW book. you can see all the bits. duct splitter. the stand off clamp. though i was wrong about attaching it to cooling fan casting in 412 variant. variant used the standoff clamp to hang the motor from underside of top of engine bay sheetmetal. for 914s they just used the clamp to support the hose and fixed it to one of the nuts on the fan casting. and they used the long hose.

none of this is there in 914 PET. all it lists is "additional blower" (ie later blower) and one short length of duct at 450mm. the only thing special to the 914 was it did use a transition piece out of the variant fan that was rectangular to circular for the single circular hose.

Click to view attachment

Now that my heater hose got sucked in and took out the fan, I am looking at improving what was there.
In contrast to this, my car came with a splitter off of a bay window bus that never fit or worked well.
Does anybody have the 411 splitter for sale or can you give me the part number for #67 above?
Thanks,
Scott
Front yard mechanic
Close to seven who sells the fan splitters
cholland_
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 28 2023, 09:53 PM) *

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Heater-...PN-BMIS400.html
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(cholland_ @ Aug 29 2023, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 28 2023, 09:53 PM) *

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Heater-...PN-BMIS400.html

Thanks! The price isn't bad, but I don't need the hose. I am going to try some 60mm hose that is closer to the original material.

@dr914@autoatlanta.com George can I get just the splitter? I just don't need the hose sitting on a shelf unused...
scott_in_nh
I had a WTB ad up to find the hose splitter, that resulted in getting directed to a thingiverse.com 3d printing .stl file of a stockish looking single hose adapter.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2301723 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2290245

Using that as a starting point I added 2 60mm ports to it along with holes for the stock spring pins and I added clearance to the sides to look more like the original.
I also made 60mm adapters for the heat exchanger ends so I can used the aluminized stiffer hose that is available.

I'll probably add a support in the middle, but it stands up pretty well by itself.

Olympic 914
Anyone thought about using silicone Turbo hose?

https://www.siliconeintakes.com/135-silicon...-135-p-662.html

Click to view attachment

maybe with this

Click to view attachment

Overkill for sure, but would look COOL...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.