Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replace or rebuild original fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jay993
Any help would be appreciated. My fuel pump isn’t pumping enough to bring the fuel up to the carbs. Does anybody rebuild these? I saw a nos one for sale for $$$. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
914Sixer
You should be running a cheap $25-$50 pump. Nothing to rebuild. Chances are your tank sock is bad.
Jay993
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 3 2023, 08:04 PM) *

You should be running a cheap $25-$50 pump. Nothing to rebuild. Chances are your tank sock is bad.

Good call! I assume you have to pull the tank to get to it, I’m sure it doesn’t screw in from the top. My fuel pump is original and pumps a little. So most likely the stained is plugged like you said. Any tricks/tips? Thanks!
wonkipop
yeah i have rebuilt 2
go here to see what you are in for.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=350416

(not interested in rebuilding, too far away mate, but you can do it. i encourage it. beerchug.gif )

those three port pumps are red hot if you pick up a low enough mileage one.
the seals go before anything else. and next the brushes or wear on the commutator.
rest of it is built like a german brick shit house.
anything that has done less than 100,000 mi is worth a shot.
both i rebuilt were under 50k mi jobs.
barely worn. the seals had shit themselves that was all.
a crime almost to scrap them.
mad max in the apocalyptic desert speaking here, keeping things going. beerchug.gif biggrin.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Jay993 @ Aug 3 2023, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 3 2023, 08:04 PM) *

Good call! I assume you have to pull the tank to get to it, I’m sure it doesn’t screw in from the top. My fuel pump is original and pumps a little. So most likely the stained is plugged like you said. Any tricks/tips? Thanks!

Get rid of the tank sock, replace with an external fuel filter in line before pump. This allows service access without have to drain tank. confused24.gif
brant
If your car is a 4 cylinder

The original pump would have been for fuel injection
And too much pressure for a carb

You mention carbs so someone has put a lower pressure aftermarket pump on your car already or else it would have had a fire
Replace if necessary with another carb rated pump and regulator
dr914@autoatlanta.com
for carbs buy a new pump they are very very cheap

QUOTE(Jay993 @ Aug 3 2023, 06:02 PM) *

Any help would be appreciated. My fuel pump isn’t pumping enough to bring the fuel up to the carbs. Does anybody rebuild these? I saw a nos one for sale for $$$. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Jay993
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 4 2023, 08:28 AM) *

for carbs buy a new pump they are very very cheap

QUOTE(Jay993 @ Aug 3 2023, 06:02 PM) *

I forgot to mention it’s for a 914-6 with the webbers. Thanks guys!
sbsix
I don’t know of any other fuel pump that will work on a 914-6 other than the OE Bosch pump. If there is someone somewhere that rebuilds them that would be your best bet. Otherwise you’ll have to bite the bullet and find a new one. Do not discard your fuel sock. It’s there for a reason, to keep debris out of your fuel pump and Webers. They’re very inexpensive and available from 914Rubber and Tangerine Racing.

Your fuel filter needs to be between your fuel tank and fuel pump. I had to use fuel filter 131.262.275A recently since the filter I purchased from Stoddard advertised as a replacement for a 914-6 will not work. The filter I used had to be modified to fit the supply fuel line, however. Removing the gas tank is simple and draining the fuel is relatively easy.

I just went through the fuel system on my 914-6 replacing all fuel lines, filters and installing stainless steel fuel lines from Tangerine Racing. My Bosch fuel pump has 820 miles on it and worked perfectly even after a ten year slumber. The only mishap I had was connecting the return fuel line to the supply port on the pump, and supply line to the return port. Took a few minutes of cranking the engine to figure out that problem.

Your fuel pump is critical for a good running six engine. You shouldn’t compromise. You won’t be able to tune and adjust your Webers well otherwise.
brant
all carb (low pressure) fuel pumps will work with a -6
and I realize that keeping it stock looking with a stock pump may be desireable.
but all carb pumps will work with carbs.
burton73
PMB tried to rebuild the one that was in my 6 and I even sent a second one that was New Old Stock that I got off Ebay 14 years ago for $450. It did not work. Had to go with a new Bosch unit Porsche 911 914-6 Bosch Fuel Pump for Carbs. I paid over $700 for it they now are $800 or $900 depending on where you get it.

I had PMB change out to EFI so it used a different pump and sold the PMO 46s. Mine has a couple of hours on it.

Bob B

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Is it rotary or facet pump? If it’s LOUD chances are it’s a facet. The expensive filter lasts longer when any tank crap is trapped in the sock with the fuel filter down stream. With an empty tank you can look at the tank sock with a flashlight. You may see a bunch of debris in the fuel well in the bottom of the tank. New socks stand up when installed, not laying over flat. I figure the smarty pants engineers at Porsche put a sock AND filter in the fuel delivery system for a reason.
Root_Werks
It'd be nice to keep the stock fuel pump in a real 914-6, but you may have to settle for something from the aftermarket parts bin:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELC...ASABEgIvg_D_BwE

Keep the original, put oil in it, box it up etc.

As others have stated already, check to ensure your tank strainer isn't all gummed up. Could be as simple as that.
Jay993
So I dropped the tank and changed the fuel sock. The one in the car was still standing, just discolored, and most likely original. This did not solve the problem. Next up I’ll be sending the fuel pump to “fuel injection corp” in northern ca. I think this will solve the problem. Anything else?
burton73
QUOTE(Jay993 @ Aug 10 2023, 06:53 PM) *

So I dropped the tank and changed the fuel sock. The one in the car was still standing, just discolored, and most likely original. This did not solve the problem. Next up I’ll be sending the fuel pump to “fuel injection corp” in northern ca. I think this will solve the problem. Anything else?

So Jay,

You got the right pump from me now and it only has 3 hours on it, and you should be fine, but I put a tex message to you that if you are running the original fuel lines through the center, I suggest that you change out to stainless steel because if the lines leak you are screwed. You may want to change the pump location to the front to avoid vapor lock.

Best Bob B

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.