Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P-car 6 or SBC 8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ewdysar
Back in '88, I bought my 2.0 914 to replace the '77 Spitfire that got totalled sitting at a red light. The car was really cool but eventually started making the tap tap tap of rod bearings getting tired. I priced regular 2.0 rebuilds, and after reading about them, wandered by Renegade on my drive home one day. Rode in the owner's 914, said thanks, and proceeded home. Floored the 2.0 getting on the freeway, and almost started to cry, I knew right then that a conversion was in my future, and according to the "brochure", it would be a cheap as a stock rebuild. Parking the car in '91, the conversion was underway. Fast forward to 2004, after moving a couple of times, buying a series of sailboats, getting married and endless other things, my '75 could go back on the road without the CA smog cert. So I dove back into the conversion, talked to the new owners of RH, and tried to do it right. WAY to many $$$ later, the car's my daily driver, and a hell of a lot of fun. I haven't made it to a track, or an AX event yet and I probably could have done a big P-6 for the same $$$, but I really like my car. I've got a stack of parts waiting to work their way into my project, but there's so many things to do in life.

It could have been a six, happened to be an eight, I'd really like to to a Raby T4 for my next one, or maybe a suby... The extra HP makes the car more to my liking, not neccesarily better, just more to my liking. In my eyes they're all still 914's, except Chalon's (just kidding Scott, I wanted a Chalon too) IMHO, almost everyone here is driving, or working on, or dreaming about a custom car, almost stock or way out there, which is what's so cool about the 914. There's so much potential, I'm hooked.

I realize that most of the immflamatory remarks in this thread have been made tongue in cheek, for those that weren't, Lighten up!

Remember "there is no spoon".

Eric
neo914-6
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 22 2005, 04:52 PM)
I wouldnt mind driving either a well done SBC V8 or a six conversion. ...Damn but thats a boring opinion and makes me feel like I'm getting ready to hold hands with you guys and sing songs. laugh.gif

Actually our favorite is "we are the world..." laugh.gif

grantsfo
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 22 2005, 07:52 PM)
I wouldnt mind driving either a well done SBC V8 or a six conversion.  ...Damn but thats a boring opinion and makes me feel like I'm getting ready to hold hands with you guys and sing songs.  :lol:

Actually our favorite is "we are the world..." laugh.gif

I was thinking "Its a Small World after all"
neo914-6
don't even go there, that sticks in your head for days after DL...
redshift
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 23 2005, 12:38 AM)

I was thinking "Its a Small World after all"

NO!! unsure.gif NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! pinch.gif YOU TAKE THAT BACK! TAKE IT BACK NOW! unsure.gif pinch.gif Nooooooooooooooooo!!! MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!! unsure.gif pinch.gif noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
neo914-6
I tell you there's subliminal brain washing in that song!
redshift
you made me look again... and that makes me hum... humming makes me sing.. and when I sing I hear... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! pinch.gif please God! Make it stop!

neo914-6
Lets keep this to the facts. Fact is SBC V8's suck in these cars.

I think some of you knew I was just kidding. ...right? biggrin.gif

Here's my honest opinion, I think regardless of powerplant you chose car preparation is more signficant than engine configuration or power. There are wickedly fast 3.6 liter 6 cylinder cars that have incredible preperation that I would say almost no V8 could touch on a road course. I'm sure there are some incredible v8's too. I do think some v8 conversions cut a lot of corners, but I have seen some incredible conversions that were right on the money. I wouldnt mind driving either a well done SBC V8 or a six conversion. ...Damn but thats a boring opinion and makes me feel like I'm getting ready to hold hands with you guys and sing songs. laugh.gif

I have chosen the 6 conversion route as I want to compete in PCA and POC class events in the future. And if I'm honest I'd rather hear the sweet sound of a well tuned 6 rather than an awesome v8 behind my seat just because I have always wanted a 914-6. If I were to go for a non-Porsche conversion think I'd be looking at a turbo rotary engine or that wicked V8 they put in the Radical SR8.

Bottom line I'm a car nut and they are all good. 4, 6, 8, rotary, just do them right and you'll have a cool car! smilie_pokal.gif

Having recently seen alot of big displacement muscle at the Monterey Historics and the story of the "back yard prototypes" you have to admire people who try something new and make it work. There are examples of attempts so let's call them prototypes often mistaken for hack jobs. For most the goal is to build a GT car, not a car to be barely accepted in the Porsche games or to demonstrate nimble performance. Why compare cars that don't live on the same type of track or may not even care to be on a track?

There are too many neglected and often hacked 914's that would benefit from a nice conversion of any type. Other than the concourse owners we are all trying to modify and improve this basic but compelling platform.
Sammy
It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

There is just one moon
And one golden sun
And a smile means
Friendship to ev'ryone
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide

It's a small, small world

Don't mention it, no thanks necessary. Least I can do.
Rotary'14
damn,, somebody stop the song in my head,,, the little manequins freak me out like "chucky".

8 pages of arguing and my beloved rotary only gets a mention here and there! Where's soloracer at? nevermind,,
Rotary conversion guys just seem to keep quiet and keep our opinions to ourselves, it's hard to find understanding. I must remember to offer my car for rides when it ever gets finished. wacko.gif

I think the lesson of this thread is that 914s are fun when you have more than 180 horse power. And that certain parts of your anatomy will grow if you have a V8! j/k

914 owners with radiators vs 914 owners without, in an all out Paintball War to prove who will rule the 914 world.

Oh well I think I better take my medication,,,,, screwy.gif
goose2
....so, who the hell is Cindy and just how and why does she support terrorism? Inquiring minds need to know....it's a small world after all.
neo914-6
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 23 2005, 10:03 AM)
It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware

There is just one moon
And one golden sun
And a smile means
Friendship to ev'ryone
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide

It's a small, small world

Don't mention it, no thanks necessary. Least I can do.

Dam you! (picture Charlton Heston when he sees the status of liberty in "Beneath thd Planet of the Apes" laugh.gif
914GT
QUOTE (goose2 @ Aug 23 2005, 11:42 AM)
....so, who the hell is Cindy and just how and why does she support terrorism? Inquiring minds need to know....it's a small world after all.

Cindy Sheehan, the anti-war protestor who's son was killed in Iraq and had been camping out outside the Bush ranch recently. Support terrorism? You decide. She's involved with groups such as Code Pink, who want to interfere with military recruitment on campuses. Years ago those activities would have been called sedition.
goose2
Cindy Sheehan, the anti-war protestor who's son was killed in Iraq
OK..of course...I knew that, just assumed it was 914 related since we avoid politically charged issues here. Thanks
neo914-6
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Aug 22 2005, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Aug 21 2005, 01:18 PM)

Having a twin turbo SBC in a 914 with 1000hp is great for bench racing, but where is it practical or even beneficial in any capacity?  Do you accelerate appreciably faster than if you only had 500hp in your car? I doubt it.

The 914 seems to me to love around 200hp. It just seems balanced there. Anything over 400hp in a street driven 914 seems to me to be more about bragging rights than anything usable. Dedicated track cars are of course another story all together.

A 2100 pound 914 with 300hp, a nicely tuned suspension, and decent tires would be just about perfect on the street and entirely capable on the track, just ask the guys running a 3.6L six. If properly geared and setup, that would net 12 second quarter mile times AND great handling in a car that can be comfortable enough for the street. That's Viper, Z06, and GT2 territory on a postman's budget.

And there is no reason the same 300 hp couldn't come from a well prepped 302 V8 with aluminum heads that spins to 7500 rpm just like the porsche.  

Just my .02 cents.

Just because there are 1000 HP on tap, doesn't mean you use them all the time, you learn throttle control on a whole new level. If traction will only handle 500HP, only use 500 burnout.gif w00t.gif

Here's an example of "too" much hp:

Possibly the least sporty, most poorly constructed small car ever sold in America was the Renault R5. Known in this country as the LeCar, the Renault looked and drove like a Yugo, only smaller, with less power and worse reliability. Renault was racing, however. During the late '70s and early '80s, the company was pioneering development of turbocharged engines in its Formula One racing cars. Those 1.5-liter turbo engines eventually reached as high as an estimated 1,200 hp in qualifying trim. Renault wanted to put its turbo expertise to work in rally competition, and the tiny R5 was the designated platform. But putting a bunch of turbo horses to the ground through the front wheels didn't seem like a good recipe for a fast rally car, so Renault engineers removed the back seat and installed the engine amidships, driving the rear wheels through a five-speed transaxle. To make this version eligible for racing, Renault then had to sell the R5 Turbo in its showrooms. Unfortunately, the manufacturer didn't officially import the little hot rod to America.
Mueller
I used to see one in Campbell once in a while...one of my all time favorite cars (by looks and performance, never drove one) pray.gif
ArtechnikA
...and a noted F1 driver (i want to say Jean-Pierre Jarrier) was Renault's US Competition Director and was killed testing an R5 Turbo being prepped for IMSA. that was pretty much the end of the R5's official competition career in the US, although IIRC the Archer Brothers went on to campaign them pretty successfully as independents, possibly in another series (Trans-Am?)
goose2
It's a world of hell holes
brackets and gears
Small blocks and sixes
Debates and jeers
It's the platform we share
What conversion you dare
It's a 914 world after all

There is just one chassis
And one rusty tub
Be it powered by Chevy
Or anemic V-Dub
Though our choices divide
Keep your minds open wide
Its a 914 world after all

It's a 914 world after all (repeat until vomiting subsides)

SirAndy
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 23 2005, 12:42 PM)
Here's an example of "too" much hp

R5 Turbo II one of my all time favorite cars ...

that one, i would own in a heartbeat!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
neo914-6
QUOTE (goose2 @ Aug 23 2005, 11:52 AM)
It's a world of hell holes
brackets and gears
Small blocks and sixes
Debates and jeers
It's the platform we share
What conversion you dare
It's a 914 world after all

There is just one chassis
And one rusty tub
Be it powered by Chevy
Or anemic V-Dub
Though our choices divide
Keep your minds open wide
Its a 914 world after all

It's a 914 world after all (repeat until vomiting subsides)

Dam that's funny! LMAO chairfall.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 23 2005, 11:46 AM)
I used to see one in Campbell once in a while...one of my all time favorite cars (by looks and performance, never drove one) pray.gif

Mike,

found it after you posted the link for a R5 transaxle. I "may" go for it if the shipping costs are reasonable...it's rated up to 500hp/350tq...wonder what they used for the 1200hp engines. A company in AUS sells a Chevy bellhousing for it.
andys
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 23 2005, 02:28 PM)
Mike,

found it after you posted the link for a R5 transaxle. I "may" go for it if the shipping costs are reasonable...it's rated up to 500hp/350tq...wonder what they used for the 1200hp engines. A company in AUS sells a Chevy bellhousing for it.

Felix,

The Renault transaxle is widely used on European GT40 kit cars (GTD). A lot of those guys do a lot of track time with them, and, as it turns out, durability is really quite good. Many opt for the Derek Bell upgrades which allows it to withstand a genuine 550HP. Only down side, is that there are relatively few of these here in the states, and just as few that can work on them.

The model UN1-013 has very good V8 ratio's from a reasonably tall first, to a reasonably tall 5th; something that is lacking with most transaxles available here.

Andy
turbo914v8
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 23 2005, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Aug 22 2005, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Aug 21 2005, 01:18 PM)

Having a twin turbo SBC in a 914 with 1000hp is great for bench racing, but where is it practical or even beneficial in any capacity?  Do you accelerate appreciably faster than if you only had 500hp in your car? I doubt it.

The 914 seems to me to love around 200hp. It just seems balanced there. Anything over 400hp in a street driven 914 seems to me to be more about bragging rights than anything usable. Dedicated track cars are of course another story all together.

A 2100 pound 914 with 300hp, a nicely tuned suspension, and decent tires would be just about perfect on the street and entirely capable on the track, just ask the guys running a 3.6L six. If properly geared and setup, that would net 12 second quarter mile times AND great handling in a car that can be comfortable enough for the street. That's Viper, Z06, and GT2 territory on a postman's budget.

And there is no reason the same 300 hp couldn't come from a well prepped 302 V8 with aluminum heads that spins to 7500 rpm just like the porsche.  

Just my .02 cents.

Just because there are 1000 HP on tap, doesn't mean you use them all the time, you learn throttle control on a whole new level. If traction will only handle 500HP, only use 500 burnout.gif w00t.gif

Here's an example of "too" much hp:

Possibly the least sporty, most poorly constructed small car ever sold in America was the Renault R5. Known in this country as the LeCar, the Renault looked and drove like a Yugo, only smaller, with less power and worse reliability. Renault was racing, however. During the late '70s and early '80s, the company was pioneering development of turbocharged engines in its Formula One racing cars. Those 1.5-liter turbo engines eventually reached as high as an estimated 1,200 hp in qualifying trim. Renault wanted to put its turbo expertise to work in rally competition, and the tiny R5 was the designated platform. But putting a bunch of turbo horses to the ground through the front wheels didn't seem like a good recipe for a fast rally car, so Renault engineers removed the back seat and installed the engine amidships, driving the rear wheels through a five-speed transaxle. To make this version eligible for racing, Renault then had to sell the R5 Turbo in its showrooms. Unfortunately, the manufacturer didn't officially import the little hot rod to America.

Here we finally have some intelligent thinking. I promise you there is no feeling quite like when you hook big HP in a 914. I did not mean to imply that you must have big HP or a v8 to enjoy a 914. I did not mean to brag and was not trying to. I am however proud of my achievements with my turbocharged 914 as I did all the work my self. I just think that 914's are a very unique car and love all types stock and\or modified.
neo914-6
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Aug 23 2005, 03:37 PM)
I am however proud of my achievements with my turbocharged 914 as I did all the work my self. I just think that 914's are a very unique car and love all types stock and\or modified.

clap.gif Paul, you should be now how about those pics? biggrin.gif

Hear from Scott B lately?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Aug 22 2005, 04:45 PM)
We can picture you as anything we want as you seem to be unable to clarify yourself.

I prefer you as a pimply faced hi school kid with a computer....you know, socially retarded, unable to connect with real people except by the anonymity of the internet. A clever put down to you is flipping someone the bird.

you just described Britt Dodd..... laugh.gif
grantsfo
Here are two of my favorite v8 conversions!

Video of mid engine V8 mini!

http://www.simon-stubbs.co.uk/videos/V8blu..._1st%20runx.wmv

His site:

http://www.simon-stubbs.co.uk/

Great tranverse v8 Mini conversion

http://www.geocities.com/jharkola/Viku2.html
turbo914v8
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=36898&hl=

One mean v8
Something for all the non-believers. beerchug.gif
goose2
how 'bout a 478 Hemi in a Bugeye Sprite?

http://www.ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys/Photo...rian/Marian.htm
J P Stein
QUOTE (goose2 @ Aug 23 2005, 07:36 PM)
how 'bout a 478 Hemi in a Bugeye Sprite?

Another answer to a question nobody asked.......but....
I bet it will swap ends quicker than a 1000hp 914 laugh.gif
Brett W
There is an R5 that show up sometimes at the Walter Mitty historic races at Road Atlanta. He is out classed and not a very good driver, but the car is cool as hell.
startsw/p
I'm in the middle of building a 914/6 conversion and am falling in love with a 74 2.0 liter. There's something about the original cars. I can't explain it. It feels like I'm home. I don't care if it's slow. I need a four cylinder car, dead mint original. But I always said if it had more brakes and more grip and less flex and 100 more horses, well you get the picture.... I need the sixer too. Looks like I'll be selling the 911 and the 931. Damn. headbang.gif
goose2
Another answer to a question nobody asked.......but....

yes, I digress to be sure...but with all this talk of mega-horsepower in light cars, I couldn't resist. Been waiting to post that link for awhile biggrin.gif I've got a hotrod builder buddy who has built a beautiful Hemi powered Volvo 444. I'll post pics someday. Personally I think these kind of cars are pretty useless but great fun. Kinda like mechanical masturbation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.