Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P-car 6 or SBC 8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Crazyhippy
Enough of the little horsepower pissing match, it's time for the fast cars to have their pissing match.

I'll be honest, my loyalty to the P-motor doesn't run very deep. They are WAY to expensive for the HP you get. The ONLY advantage i can see from a performance standpoint is the weight, and i'm not sure it's as big as everyone imagines (guessing less than the weight of a decent passenger).

The SBC is easier to work on, builds more HP easily, lasts longer at the same HP level, and sounds better flipa.gif (subjective i know). You do lose the front trunk, but a 914 is not a practical car to start with, so no biggy boldblue.gif

I understand people wanting to keep the bloodlines true and blah blah blah.. isn't that kinda like in-breeding?

please discuss driving-girl.gif driving.gif burnout.gif

URY914
I would love to have a wide body SBC 914 that just hauls ass!!

Of course, I would still have a 914 GT replica with a 3.2 short stroke...

And my T-4 superlight autox car.

I think that would just about cover it. wink.gif
Mueller
not much to discuss, 2 totally different vehicles......

yes, for HP per Dollar spent, the SBC normally wins, but once you reach a certain HP level, the SBC will cost more due to the transmission........

one it not better than the other unless you are building it for a particular class or race org.

Crazyhippy
but once you reach a certain HP level, the SBC will cost more due to the transmission........

Have to beef the trans w/ the pancake 6 too, it's just easier to get to that point w/ the SBC

Imagine a turbo 3.6 in front a 914 box... screwy.gif chair.gif KABOOM

Can someone weigh street (not stripped racecar) -6 for me?

Thanks
URY914
I think the SBC's get out-of-hand pretty quick. Do you really need 500 HP in a 2000 pound car with a wheelbase of a 914? You need to up-grade every everything

Build a 250-300 HP SBC 914 with a 915 and you're safe.

Paul
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 18 2005, 09:15 AM)
I think the SBC's get out-of-hand pretty quick. Do you really need 500 HP in a 2000 pound car with a wheelbase of a 914? You need to up-grade every everything

Paul

it's much more fun if it's an 1800lb car biggrin.gif

The 914 brakes are a joke, the 911 stuff is a bolt on, and gives the rotors much more heat handling capabilities so you should be upgrading the brakes anyways biggrin.gif

the tranny will hold up to 300HP as long as you are not trying to break it. "Drive White" as my grand-dad used to say

The suspension is getting upgraded by everyone, not jus the v-8 guys.

To do a -6 conversion right you are doing the same amount of work to the rest of the car. driving.gif aktion035.gif

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Aug 18 2005, 01:12 PM)
Can someone weigh street (not stripped racecar) -6 for me?

book curb weight is 940 Kg
Crazyhippy
if my memory is right there are 2.2lbs/kg so 2068lbs total...

That would have to be an early car, and that puts a v-8 less than 100lbs extra blink.gif aktion035.gif
Brett W
Do you really need 500 HP in a 2000 pound car with a wheelbase of a 914?

ABSOLUTELY.
smilie_pokal.gif

Read my blog.

I wouldn't bother with the SBC anymore, If I were doing it from scratch with the right budget, I would be looking for either and LS7 or the BMW M5 Engine (although I expect it to be really heavy).
URY914
QUOTE (Brett W @ Aug 18 2005, 10:31 AM)
Do you really need 500 HP in a 2000 pound car with a wheelbase of a 914?

ABSOLUTELY.
smilie_pokal.gif

I knew you'd say that laugh.gif

OK, do you need 500 HP for the street? (same answer, I bet)

Paul
scotty914
no but a stock weight 914 with a 250 hp turbo suby would be great, and would run circles around 95 % of the cars out there
JB 914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 18 2005, 09:15 AM)

Paul

as a owner of a SBC 914 i couldn't agree more. 300hp is more than enough to give you an ass kicking thrill.

i've got a 327 that i'm planning on dropping into my 914 after paint. i'm gonna try and keep it around 300hp smile.gif

and as long as you don't have to smoke the tires your tranny should be fine.
Mueller
all of that HP is worthless if you have no place to use or worse yet, don't know how to drive..........
Crazyhippy
The 78 factory squirels are useless if you cant drive... wink.gif confused24.gif
spare time toys
SBC thats to easy folks put it in any and every thing Ho HUM Boring sad.gif I know I am following in Ricks footsteps with the 928 engine so its not uncharted waters. It is also something you dont see every day and can not just go get parts off the shelf to build. But it will have the cool sound of the V8 its going to have the 5 inch long flowmasters cool_shades.gif. I would have done the 6 just because I dont like to follow the normal stick a SBC crowd. Now if I had an old 427 L88 or the AL. block ZL1 OH BABY cool.gif You know what I am trying to say. I follow the crowd but on my own path huh.gif
Joe Ricard
All cars have a purpose. Mine is Autocrossing on a budget. I would only add maybe 30-40 more ft lbs of torque to be leading the pack of some pretty stiff competition including 2 past National champs.

Truthfully my car is running with in 10ths of a second behind these guys. Yea I admit I'm in Street mod. only because of the cam. But a SBC puts you straight into Prepared.
Andyrew
Heres my opinion.

If I were to do it again, I'd really have a hard time deciding between a Turbo subi or a sbc.

SBC's are cheep, crazy cheap. I can get one in a 914 for 3k, with all new stuff. I can also get one in a 914 in 2 weeks. Easy as pie.

Subi's on the other hand are cheap as well, and as reliable as sbc's are. Only problem is that the wiring schematics are incredibly difficult, and 2 weeks becomes 2 months.

Both can make 500 hp, sbc's are a little simpler to make that hp with, and cheaper.

Then theres the 928 engine.
928's have the ultra uber' cool factor. YOu have the respect, but gawd do you have to work for that respect. Firewall becomes a primary issue. BUt if we look past the difficulties of installation, we have some other problems. The 928 engine's are semi limited in their hp. 300 hp is about all you can get, Theres not much modifications you can do to the engine without spending GOBS of money for a supercharger or other serious modifications. But lets say you have all that.. Or your content with 300hp. Repair cost. 928's are the one of the most expensive engine's to repair.

Now we have a P-6
Commonly the most respected. Its expensive out of the box, and repairs are simular to the 928. But its got gobs of hp avalible. But, its expensive. 10k for 300hp done right just sucks.

Anyways, thats what I think.

andrew
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 18 2005, 03:40 PM)
...But a SBC puts you straight into Prepared.

really? that's not as bad as i remembered it.

i figured a non-factory engine moved you straight to Modified.

all the engine-swap guys i ran with were in E-Modified.
(or Open Street Prepared - for the guys that wanted to try to put down lots of power on DOT rubber - but the only guy in my Region that did that seriously owned a tire store. i think it was the only way he could afford to run his SBC (mightta been a SBF...) 240Z...)
URY914
Change the engine = modified.

sad.gif
Sammy
As you said this one is completely subjective, but I've had both and IMO the Porsche flat six is a thousand times better.
My V8 made more torque, it made more power, it didn't weigh that much more, it was cheaper to buy and repair and upgrade, but it was just an engine.

The Porsche flat six is more than just an engine. It is mechanical art. It gets to me and makes me feel as if I am ripping up the french countryside in the 24 hours race every time I drive it.
It is so smooth, and gets smoother the higher it revs.
The V8 acted like it resisted revving high, and only did so if I forced it to do so.
The six on the other hand, begs to hit redline. It loves 6000+ rpm, and seems as if it would prefer to be there always.
Add a little postive manifold pressure and it only gets better.

I thought I would really like a V8 914 until the first time I drove mine. That was the only Porsche I've ever owned that I didn't love. In fact I couldn't wait to sell it. Nothing wrong with the car, it was reasonably fast, handled good, and was very reliable. I just didn't care for it. To me it wasn't a sports car anymore.

Others have them and love them, that's good. My experience was just different than that.
andys
914 V8 = supercar performance on a pizza budget. That is, if you follow the proven path. Ok, I mentioned my good friend that just got a P-TT. I think it's 418HP (?). Paid big bucks, but did get a very comfortable GT car you could jump into and drive to Vegas (or choose your destination) without a care. That might be a bit presumptuous with regard to a 914 V8, but doable with a sorted car........but likely a far less comfortable ride.

If I were to envision (since I've never driven one) a 3+ litre 6, I would think it would behave much like an original 6, but with way more power and better handling from a hopefully upgraded suspension. The P-car crowd would mostly be quite ok with this conversion, so if acceptance/staying true to the mark is what you choose, then so be it.

Either direction has it's merits, and from my perspective, both have their strong points.....Do it your way! For sound, well again very subjective........a 6 at full song has a fantastically sofisticated tone. An angry SBC is pretty sweet.....slightly OT story. When my buddy and I ran a stock car roadrace series, we showed for an open practice day. The Interscope team (Danny Ongais/Ted Field) were unloading a prototype when we fired up our 358 cu. in., 180 degree headered, 14:1, Tilton 7" clutched, RPM *RIGHT NOW* SBC, all those guys stopped to take notice...it was actually quite amusing given what they were unloading.

Andy
grantsfo
I have yet to see a fast budget V8 914 AX car. biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
there's more to life than auto cross (blasphemous statement around here)

Once you have the HP to go faster than 70MPH, you get to play on the big tracks too boldblue.gif

Imagine actually passing someone, not having to beat them w/ a stopwatch idea.gif bootyshake.gif

Pretty much everytime you add cylinders it sounds better, from a single (lawnmower), to a twin (hardley), to a tripple (triumph motorcycle, wicked sound), to a 4 cyl (fart can honda) to a 6 (topic of discussion here) to an 8(really tough to beat w/ decent exhaust at rpm think nascar at speed w00t.gif ) to a 10 (Carrera GT) to a 12 (ferrari)

And it sounds like sammy's car had a truck motor in it, a Hi-Po SBC revs really free biggrin.gif Lots of power and little rotating weight (comparatively)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Aug 18 2005, 03:40 PM)
Pretty much everytime you add cylinders it sounds better, from a single (lawnmower), to a twin (hardley), to a tripple (triumph motorcycle, wicked sound), to a 4 cyl (fart can honda) to a 6 (topic of discussion here) to an 8(really tough to beat w/ decent exhaust at rpm think nascar at speed w00t.gif ) to a 10 (Carrera GT) to a 12 (ferrari)

And it sounds like sammy's car had a truck motor in it, a Hi-Po SBC revs really free biggrin.gif Lots of power and little rotating weight (comparatively)

you forgot about Audi and Volvo 5 cyl engines.... screwy.gif
Crazyhippy
and probably some 7 and 9 cyl rotaries (airplane motors)

I've never heard a 5 cyl at speed, damned audi's and vulvas are way to quiet for my tastes.

The original side exhaust vipers sounded like stromberg.gif Reminded me of a UPS truck from the side, sounded fine straight on though idea.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 18 2005, 11:40 AM)
But a SBC puts you straight into Prepared.

Modifed, actually....A Mod if you're over 5 liters. Life is real hard there. You'll get killed by a 800 lb mocycle engined car with WOO wings.

I've never personally seen a decent SBC AXer run....seen some slow ones tho. Most guys don't have any idea what it takes to hook up the power of a 914 mit V8. MikeD is an exception, me thinks. Brett may well do it....he's gonna try rather than dream so I wish him the best of luck.
goose2
I've driven lots of fours, a couple sixes...and one SBC. When I first drove the V8 (courtesy Camp Craig), I thought "I want it". It was nasty, loud, and blinding fast. It also felt heavy and crude...huge tires with big spacers to fill out the flares made the steering feel like a '60's american muscle car...heavy clutch, imprecise throttle, bone-jarring ride. I thought this was all very cool and was everything a hot rod sports car should be. I still feel that way. After my ride in the crusher, I drove my old 1.7 home. It was light, nimble, well balanced, quiet, smooth, easy to drive and economical. I could actually put my foot to the floor and work it through the gears without risking death or a ticket. I like that too. My point is, the big V8 changes the character of the car. In some ways it's better...some ways worse. It depends on what you like and what you want your car to be. Since I like both ends of the spectrum but can't afford 2....I got a six. I'm happy with it and it does everything I want (although I am adding more power soon). If I could justify owning another car only for the occasional thrill ride, I'd have a V8 in a heartbeat.

Another point...why are almost all the V8 cars using SBC's? I used to have a Sunbeam Tiger with a Shelby spec 289 Ford...much lighter, over 300 hp, 7400 redline, 13 second quarter mile on street tires! I loved that motor. 90% of the world's street rods use the SBC for a reason I guess, but there are alternatives.
Dr. Roger
Fully prepd' SBC. Roller everything. Balanced and injected.
930 tranny.
Fully adjustable suspension/brakes.
FAT rubber.
= Great handling and great cost.
Total cost?>>>>> $_25,000
Reliable, replacement parts purchased at FLAPS =-)))

Fully prepped P powered 914
Great handling and $_________ ?????

I don't know how much the P powered option costs but this is how my brain thinks....

Heck doesn't a 220lb driving teacher in a 6 weigh the same as a single driver w/a SBC?

Honda S2000 engine 100HP per liter. Hmmmmm.... =-)
Andyrew
Grant...

What chu trying to say laugh.gif

Its driver.... I cant drive it gud...

(and im on street tires...)
grantsfo
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Aug 18 2005, 04:53 PM)
Grant...

What chu trying to say laugh.gif

Its driver.... I cant drive it gud...

(and im on street tires...)

Actually you do great in that car. Its just that the SBC raises center of gravity and adds a tons of weight. Its too hard to overcome the physics of this car with a SBC unless you add tons of reinforcement to the rear suspension, big tires etc. And then you still have a car that wont get around a tight course as quickly as a lightweight 4 or 6.

I know there are a few well done v8 conversions with proper tranny, beefed up and reinforced rear suspension half shats etc. But most V8 conversions I have seen cant lay into the accelerator without worry about breaking something.
Crazyhippy
Now you're talking about lightweights... the difference is less than a driving instructor for comparable cars. If you wan to throw enough money at it you can go to an aluminum block from donovan and save another 80+lbs, and were into a double digit difference blink.gif

Sounds like
Its just that the SBC raises center of gravity and adds a tons of weight
As far as the raised CG... put the battery in the front trunk, fixed. smoke.gif

You are comparing a moped to a superbike. Sure you can ride around your backyard quicker on the moped, and it feels so light and flickable on the street smilie_pokal.gif it HAS to be better right? bs.gif confused24.gif

My last 914 had a mild 327 in it ~290hp. It was an el-cheapo motor, steel heads, reconditioned stock rods, only spun it to 7k rpm. It was faster around most tracks than the Turbo's and vipers in my run group (just DE's, intermediate group usually, occasional advanced) w00t.gif It cornered as well as the boxsters, and was damn near as fast as the viper on the straights mueba.gif not 1/2 bad for being
heavy and crude

Done right a SBC is as smooth (or smoother) than stock, the handling is un-changed, more reliable, and the power, well it exists. I have video somewhere of Scott M.'s monster fo an orange car blowing by a -6 that was trying to accelerate happy11.gif It was kinda like video taping your 6 year old riding his bike when Lance Armstrong goes flying by aktion035.gif

Anyways, i'm going to get a beer3.gif ro 3 beerchug.gif
J P Stein
Untill Chevy made the Z06, Vettes were not good track cars.....without some serious cooling work.

Most all V8 race cars
are drysumped with large oil coolers as that is about the only way to reject enough heat ....now ya don't need to drysump to have an oilcooler, but since it's worth some hp and tends to not allow the oil to "rope" the crank (along with some windage tray/oil scrapper work while you're there), you might as well.

Older style SBCs at extendend hi RPMs also tended to fill their valve covers with oil to the detriment of the bottom end and the valve cover gaskets. Since most 914SBCs overheat on the street, you've got a real problem on the track.

So if you're doing some 914 SBC track car dreaming, crank up the budget a few notches......or prepare for melt down.
The guys in Stock cars/sprint cars have solved these problems and they'll sell you motor....which would be cheaper in the long run.biggrin.gif

Now to the 911 6. In the late 60s/early 70s, you could buy a 911S, make the required saftey mods and go do/finish the 24 hours of Le Mans....many folks did.....get it?
Brett W
I am going to do my best Jake impression, (since he and I agree on this), "Its all about the package". (Don't go there Miles) biggrin.gif

A properly built four, six, eight, ten, twelve, sixteen, etc will not be cheap. The car to support any of the above engines will not be cheap. If you want the best, don't go cheap andcut corners on Brakes, suspension, tires, or chassis. You can't take a noodle designed for 95hp and expect it not to get tweaked when you quadruple the HP. The 914 chassis is a noodle to start with and in order to take advantage of any engine package you will need the rest of the package built to support it.

I wouldn't bother with a cast iron SBC anymore. IN time the LS1, 2, 6, and 7 will be cheap enough and plentiful for everyone. They weigh about the same as the porsche six, probably less in many cases. The last version of the LS1 race engine weighed in at 330lbs and made over 600hp at 6200rpm with a restrictor. Why kill an engine when you can make that kind of HP at low rpms and have more torque than anyone should legally have.

I have never been a great Vette fan but the new car is a whole new game. Porsche will get their ass handed to them.

Now as to the sound of a high revving Six, can't argue it does sound nice but the new watercooled engines sound better. Most V8s sound better than a six any day. Take a Flat crank V8 and that is probably one of the best sounding engines in the world, next to a flat crank V12.

With a 400hp V8 914 I can put a shitty driver in it an he will wail all over a decent driver with a stock four cylinder. Sorry facts is facts. There is something to be said for pulling GT1 Corvettes down a straight-away. The only thing you will pull down the straight-away in a stock 914-4 or 6 is the recovery vehicle.

If I wanted a six cylinder Porsche I would use a watercooled motor. There is a reason the 959,962, 986, 996, Carrera GT, etc are watercooled. Durability, HP, emissions, and noise. Who wants to hear all that mechanical racket? Thats why Type4s sound like Diesels.
neo914-6
Man, all this piss'n and dis'n...just build, drive, race or drool what you like. aktion035.gif

Oh, and twin turbo sixes are better. laugh.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Aug 18 2005, 05:36 PM)
Fully prepd' SBC. Roller everything. Balanced and injected.
930 tranny.
Fully adjustable suspension/brakes.
FAT rubber.
= Great handling and great cost.
Total cost?>>>>> $_25,000
Reliable, replacement parts purchased at FLAPS =-)))

Fully prepped P powered 914
Great handling and $_________ ?????

I don't know how much the P powered option costs but this is how my brain thinks....

Heck doesn't a 220lb driving teacher in a 6 weigh the same as a single driver w/a SBC?

Honda S2000 engine 100HP per liter. Hmmmmm.... =-)

'bout $25,000. The thing is the P powered car can be sold for around the 25k the chebbie powered car can't.

Give me a 3.2L six car anyday over a V8 powered one. The ones I have driven were scary fast so it becomes a how fast to you have to go?
Crazyhippy
I'm going to disagree w/ the SBC not being able to sell for that, have have personally sat in 3 different SBC914's that have sold for more than 25K ohmy.gif (none of them were mine unfortunately lol2.gif )

And if you think it's too fast, more power to you, there are still faster cars. it's just more than you are used to beerchug.gif
brant
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Aug 18 2005, 03:40 PM)
there's more to life than auto cross (blasphemous statement around here)

Once you have the HP to go faster than 70MPH, you get to play on the big tracks too boldblue.gif

Imagine actually passing someone, not having to beat them w/ a stopwatch idea.gif bootyshake.gif

It sounds like your track options are greater where ever your at...

but around here there are many less big track options with a chevy engined car.

You could run DE with a few of the open clubs. (audi, nissan) Those clubs are a little bit smaller and a little bit more laxed about whom they allow in to help them fill their grids.

but strictly DE and not real racing.

for real racing you could run SCCA and expect to be killed by people with 50K into their cars.

If you want to run a chevy (or ford ) V8 in wheel to wheel competition other than SCCA, you had better buy a tiger, cobra, mustang, camaro or something that had that motor in it originally or they WON'T LET YOU PLAY.

so as with most things track related.
you read the rule book and build from there.

A street car may be a whole nother arguement, but If you have the ability to get onto a race track there is no reason to have a powerful car on the street. It is much safer for yourself and those around you to hit 9/10ths or 10/10ths on the track.

brant
Sammy
My V8 914 was fast on the AX track. Faster than it's driver.

Well, actually it ended up that way, at first it was slower than snot.
I put 205-15 victoracers on the back with stock rock hard michelins in front and that made all the difference in the world.
I was able to rotate the car at will with my right foot. No worries about understeer at all and the car was predictable and controllable.
That last time i took it out I finished 7th overall TTOD which doesn't sound all that impressive until you look at the field of 60 cars, 10 of them driven by instructors, and many of them trailer cars that werent even close to street legal. That and the fact that my driving skills suck. It was a OCR PCA event with some hotshots who came up from SDR.
I think I ended up less that 2 seconds behind TTOD, a hopped up (real) 73 RS which took out several cones on his fastest run but wasn't penalized for it. I was a couple seconds ahead of our AX chairman who was driving a trailered 2 liter 914 on slicks with mucho suspension upgrades. My car was the fastest 914 that day. That was also the best AX showing of my illustrious career wink.gif

One of em came up to me and asked how I could post such fast times with my clutch slipping so bad out of the corners. I told him it wasn't my clutch, it was my back tires wink.gif

By comparison, my SC would prolly be at least 4 seconds a lap slower than my 914 on the same track.
turbo914v8
Great topic and great ideas/point of views. Here is my .02 worth. At over 1000 HP and over a 1000 ponds of torque in a twin turbo charged twin intercooler v8 914 I have a few things to say from experience HEHEHEHE biggrin.gif . First off do your chasse right. I am suffering form not enough re-enforcements resulting in a cracked chasse; I am now in the process of rebuilding with full roll cage. More on that at a later date. My engine is a Chevy 350 with a RH cooling system. Track or street there is no over heating problem. The motor will rev well past 7000 RPM but with even the lowest boost setting of 12 psi there is no reason to with 700 + hp generated from the 12 psi of boost. The turbo system gives great fuel mileage and a very quiet ride as long as you keep your foot out of it. wink.gif Why so much HP? Because I can. Is it useable power? Depends what your using it for as many have stated earlier. But lets just say there is nothing like putting your foot into it and being pinned back in your seat. Does it cost a lot of money? Sure it does. In any vehicle. The more HP you want the more $$$$ it will cost. Having a high HP 914 is like being a super villain. The good guys (Porsche purists) just don’t see it coming until it’s too late. They get there A$$ kicked and then want to cry with excuses, well your 914 is not a Porsche because it has a v8 in it. I am sure some of you can relate. The bottom line here is that we are all brothers embarking on a common journey that has brought us all here together with one common goal! The thrill of driving a Porsche. Weather your a stocker, or conversion nut like my self we all do it for the same reason we love working on and driving these cars. beerchug.gif
URY914
Feel the love, Brother. wub.gif

I'm going to build a 917-30 replica and hang a 914 body on it. 1100-1200 HP.
The PCA will be happy and all my brothers here will be happy. beerchug.gif

I'll just have to buy a CNC machine so I can make the engine...any one have any plans? sad.gif

I'll do that after I install my MASSIVE TYPE-4!!! You see fellas, I'm a purist. I have a 914 with a Type -4 engine. Plane and simple, just the way it came from the factory. Sure, I've done some work to it, but it still has that connection with the past. happy11.gif

Paul w00t.gif
skline
So what is the final word? An I still an accepted member here with my totally modified car? Non stock body, non stock engine in fact, there is nothing stock on my car.

I like the stock 914 however, I just saw a Chalon when I was much younger and wanted one so bad and now I have it. I made the car I wanted. It's still a 914 somewhere in there. Parts of it are anyway.
Brett W
If they won't accept you we can go start our own club. wub.gif
soloracer
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Aug 18 2005, 02:45 PM)
and probably some 7 and 9 cyl rotaries (airplane motors)

I've never heard a 5 cyl at speed, damned audi's and vulvas are way to quiet for my tastes.

The original side exhaust vipers sounded like stromberg.gif Reminded me of a UPS truck from the side, sounded fine straight on though idea.gif

Did someone say rotary? wink.gif I was going to go turbo but now I'm going to make mine a three rotor peripheral port N/A to keep the plumbing simple. Can you say 450+ RWHP, lighting fast throttle response, 8000 rpm redline and an exhaust note that sounds like a formula one car. wub.gif However, I did just read about a 4 rotor engine kit that keeps the same dimensions as the 3 rotor......hmmmm....... wacko.gif
Crazyhippy
I realllly like rotaries, but they have trouble making TQ, so you have to either go ultra light weight, or play w/ the gearing wacko.gif

A really good friend has an early rx7 that he ran SCCA solo2 for a long time. That is a fun car, and he's nuts behind the wheel biggrin.gif unsure.gif cool.gif

Drove a rotary powered lotus 7 kit and it would set you back hard. Thing had almost no vibrations at all, even in a lightweight, un-insulated car. Very cool. aktion035.gif
grantsfo
Big Corvettes and Camaro's do great on some AX courses as well. Your're just never going to get the balance of a lighter 4 or 6 cylinder 914 in a big clunky/awkward V8 conversion. SBC V8 is great for open road cruising and big long straights. Hell a Cayenne can lap some tracks faster than some 914-6's. Doesnt make it a better car.

I just never understood why anyone would want to ruin a 914 with a big nasty iron block Chevy engine that is always on the verge of overheating. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
always on the verge of overheating

HUH? i've watche da 500+ hp SBC lap LVMS for 30 min in uncomfortably warm weather (high 80-low 90's), and when it came into the pits the temp guage read 190. As it sat the temp climbed slightly (heat soak) and peaked right at the 210 mark.

This is measured just after the water leaves the heads (hottest coolant in the car).

What is an Average CHT in a Pors/VW motor? So who is right on the verge of overheating??

And i haven't seen a 14 run down th front straight near as hard as that street car did, including the 14-6 race cars clap.gif
Brett W
Come on Grant. The SBC is no more lowly, and less endowed than the T4. We are talking tractor motors here. Two valves, pushrods, aircooled, watercooled, all designed in the 40s and 50s. Nothing radical. To bad the T4 is no where near as durable as the SBC.

An engine overheats because the system is not capable of removing the heat from the engine. My T4 would overheat at 80mph on a summer day on the highway. Because my engine would turn 4200rpms. The stock oil cooler could not keep up. The SBC in a 914 that overheats isn't beacause the motor is garbage. The cooling system is just suffering from poor engineering. Same thing happens to a stock 914 when you slap a 911 fan on there.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Brett W @ Aug 19 2005, 12:42 PM)
Come on Grant. The SBC is no more lowly, and less endowed than the T4. We are talking tractor motors here. Two valves, pushrods, aircooled, watercooled, all designed in the 40s and 50s. Nothing radical. To bad the T4 is no where near as durable as the SBC.

An engine overheats because the system is not capable of removing the heat from the engine. My T4 would overheat at 80mph on a summer day on the highway. Because my engine would turn 4200rpms. The stock oil cooler could not keep up. The SBC in a 914 that overheats isn't beacause the motor is garbage. The cooling system is just suffering from poor engineering. Same thing happens to a stock 914 when you slap a 911 fan on there.

Just dont get stuck in slow moving traffic on a summer day with that SBC. ...Ouch I know the truth hurts, but at least you'll see some cool hot rods pulled over to the side of the road with you as the air cooled guys breeze by. biggrin.gif
mrihop
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 19 2005, 03:22 PM)
Just dont get stuck in slow moving traffic on a summer day with that SBC.  ...Ouch I know the truth hurts, but at least you'll see some cool hot rods pulled over to the side of the road with you as the air cooled guys breeze by.  :D

I live in LA traffic with my V8 914. I have a Renegade Hybrids cooling system, and it NEVER goes over 190 in any conditions, and stays at 180 in traffic even now in the summer time....

I invite you to follow me from LA to Vegas up all those hills in 100+ degree weather at 100 mph...we'll see who overheats first.

I know I won't... biggrin.gif
redshift
Same trip to Vegas in a motorcoach, at 50 will kill an average man.

wacko.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.