Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Tube reweld???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tracks914
Front tube was only 1/2 broken. The bottom 1/2 and it broke between the spot weld and the tube, meaning, there is nothing left to spot weld using Brad's method.
I went the less evasive route and used the "u" bolt from a 1/2" cable clamp, then sliced the the nuts in half, pretty much even with sound deadening material so that it is not noticable when the carpet is installed.

Works for me and I think it will be stronger than some of the welds I have seen pictures of.
Jeffs9146
You welded it with the gas line in???? You got some big ba........s! That plate was how I cooked the car I had just out of high school!!

Congratulations!

Jeff
JeffBowlsby
Here are the welds Mike Mueller did on my front tube repair. Brings a tear to my eye...Awesome job Mike and I really appreciate it!

tracks914
QUOTE (Jeffs9146 @ Aug 21 2005, 07:18 PM)
You welded it with the gas line in???? You got some big ba........s! That plate was how I cooked the car I had just out of high school!!

Congratulations!

Jeff

Not balls.....calculated risk.
What you didn't see was the sheet metal shroud I had made and duct taped to the underside of the car, wrapped around underneath to shield the gas lines as I welded. No big deal then. The plate I used was heavy enough guage that it acted like a heat sink so the lines never got hot.
BTW, I had a garden hose and a fire extinguisher parked nearby too.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeffs9146 @ Aug 21 2005, 08:18 PM)
You welded it with the gas line in????

yepp, did that in the same exact spot as well. just wrapped a wet towel around the gas-lines. that did the trick ...

welder.gif Andy
tracks914
I just changed the gas lines last year and it was a bitch of a job. I didn't want to do that again.
mightyohm
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Aug 22 2005, 03:44 PM)
I just changed the gas lines last year and it was a bitch of a job. I didn't want to do that again.

Should have gone stainless then!
tracks914
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Aug 22 2005, 04:06 PM)

Should have gone stainless then!

Firewall wasn't all cracked then headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.