Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project 3.6 RS Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
They always crack. Luckily they are pretty cheap.
Steve
Something else I read on Pelican. If the 3.6 came out of a Tiptronic car, you have to cut a wire on the ECU to tell it to run in Manual mode.
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Nice detail. Seems like there are several hot rods in progress at the same time here.
Steve
Plumbed the idle control valve into the new PMS 3.2 elbow. Blocked off extra vacuum lines. Added the distributor breather to Mickey Mouse heat exchanger ears. Also added another fitting for the charcoal canister. Next steps is the tin. This thing is a pain compared to installing a 3.2, but I know it will be worth it in the end.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Looking good Steve; I appreciate the photos to keep us headed in the right direction with mine. beerchug.gif
Steve
@sirandy @clayperrine did you have to cut the rib on the intake manifold to point the throttle body straight back like prs9146 to clear the engine lid?
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ May 5 2024, 06:48 AM) *

@sirandy @clayperrine did you have to cut the rib on the intake manifold to point the throttle body straight back like prs9146 to clear the engine lid?

@Steve
Yes, i did. I removed the bridge so you can rotate the two pieces independently.
bye1.gif
SirAndy
You can sort of see where it all ended up here:

IPB Image

IPB Image

SirAndy
And this shows you where my air filter ends up:

IPB Image

SirAndy
I think that short 90 degree bend piece between the throttle body and the air flow sensor is from a 3.2L.

Anyways, it's a tight fit but i didn't have to cut any sheet metal for all that to fit, the air filter tucks into the area under of the engine bay that's under the rear trunk lid, meaning it's protected from rain even when running an open GT engine lid.

Oh, and yes, that's a Gatorade bottle posing as a overflow catch can.
biggrin.gif
Steve
beerchug.gif Thanks @sirandy !! Time to take it back apart. Not that much work. Glad it’s still out of the car. PMS sells the reproduction shorter 3.2 elbow.
Thanks again for the help!!
https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...eng914993ibkpmp
Time for a cinco de mayo corona light and continue on my 3.6 quest.
Cairo94507
@SirAndy and @Steve - Thanks to you both; your pictures and insights are very helpful.
Cheers,
Michael beer3.gif beerchug.gif
Steve
@sirandy looks like you added another 45 degree elbow to the 3.2 elbow.
This allowed you to point the 3.2 elbow more down, so you could run the idle control valve hose on top.
I found this PMS picture with the 3.2 elbow flipped, so the idle control valve hose is underneath. I think this picture is the big Laguna motor.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ May 5 2024, 02:38 PM) *

This allowed you to point the 3.2 elbow more down, so you could run the idle control valve hose on top.
I found this PMS picture with the 3.2 elbow flipped, so the idle control valve hose is underneath. I think this picture is the big Laguna motor.

@Steve
Ah yes, you are correct.

The second elbow is a Mustang part, must have been from a pre 2006-ish model since that's when i did the conversion.
driving.gif
Steve
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 5 2024, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 5 2024, 02:38 PM) *

@Steve
Ah yes, you are correct.

The second elbow is a Mustang part, must have been from a pre 2006-ish model since that's when i did the conversion.
driving.gif

beerchug.gif Awesome! Thanks!! This is the easy part. I will figure this out with the engine in the car. I will most likely run the hose underneath.
ClayPerrine
I did the same thing. I cut the two tubes apart so I could lower the throttle body.

Mine being a 964 motor, I was able to extend it so the air flow meter was mounted on the vehicle right of the intake and the air filter just cleared the firewall.

Steve
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 5 2024, 06:36 PM) *

I did the same thing. I cut the two tubes apart so I could lower the throttle body.

Mine being a 964 motor, I was able to extend it so the air flow meter was mounted on the vehicle right of the intake and the air filter just cleared the firewall.

Thanks Clay! beerchug.gif I forgot yours is a 964 motor. Didn't know the tubes were similar. It was pretty easy to cut them with a dremel tool and tin snips.
Steve
Idle control valve connected from the bottom of the PMS 3.2 boot.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.