Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stratfink
I've been finding transmission fluid on the garage floor since acquiring the 914 about 18 months ago. Finally got her on the quickjack and cleaned up the caked on gunk last weekend as best I could. after sitting for a week I found a drip at the usual spot on the pulley housing. From the picture it looks appears the source is at the output shaft seal.

Found the thread below with great info/advice and thinking I'll order seals from Stoddard and venture into my first transmission seal repair.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=322114

Am I on the right track or does one of our experts see something else that could be the culprit?

Assuming this is the fix on the trans, l'll be looking into the oil leaks next smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Yeah, the output shaft seal is a pretty common spot for leaks. We have replaced both seals on my transaxle and the driver side is nice and dry now. The passenger side is leaking about a drop when parked. Now that the transaxle is out, we will replace that seal again. Fortunately it is an easy seal to replace- especially with the transaxle out of the car. beerchug.gif
windforfun
Sealing surfaces must be spotless. Be very gentle with seal when installing.
Stratfink
Awesome. Thank you for the helpful replies.

I’ll plan to double the quantities for spares/attrition, but does this look like the right shopping list to do both sides (specifically the bolt and shnoor washer quantity)?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.