Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wish list, 914 products you'd like to see???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jonwatts
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Aug 27 2005, 12:06 AM)
*Plastic rear window caps

confused24.gif

Got a picture?
JeffBowlsby
PP lists them as NLA for the early cars and only the right side is available for the late cars.

Window Guide End Cap, Left, 914 1.7 (1970-72), 914-6 (1970-72), Each
B-542-111-10
(OEM: 914-542-111-10) No Longer Available
Window Guide End Cap, Right, 914 1.7 (1970-72), 914-6 (1970-72), Each
B-542-112-10
(OEM: 914-542-112-10) No Longer Available
Window Guide End Cap, Left, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1973-76), Each
B-542-173-10
(OEM: 914-542-173-10) No Longer Available
Window Guide End Cap, Right, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1973-76), Each [Photo]
B-542-174-10
(OEM: 914-542-174-10) $9.25

jonwatts
Oh, I thought you meant rear window as in targa window.

McMark
Bruce Napier is working on the plastic pieces.
GWN7
yep...up to mold # 11 that hasn't worked...but I'm still on it.

Plastic fuse box covers....Hmmmm biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
I'd be down for a set of aftermarket sels... all of 'em... cheep
DrifterJay
914r taillights wink.gif

carbon fiber hellhole biggrin.gif
stevenhaas
I am sure you guys will hate this but...... I want to turn my front oval blinker lights into a xenon headlights. Then use the a full hood and get rid of the pop ups all togather.... smilie_pokal.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (stevenhaas @ Aug 27 2005, 09:44 AM)
I am sure you guys will hate this but...... I want to turn my front oval blinker lights into a xenon headlights. Then use the a full hood and get rid of the pop ups all togather.... smilie_pokal.gif

Felix is on xenon lights in the turn signals thing right now. Do a search.
stevenhaas
hmmmm I can't seem to find anything....
neo914-6
Here you go, still researching how to get clear lenses molded...

HID lights in pods
SpecialK
QUOTE (stevenhaas @ Aug 27 2005, 11:44 AM)

Actually, that would be cool IMHO! I faguely remember a member doing just that (or toying with the idea) a year or so ago. Never did see the final product though. sad.gif ...I say do it!

The CF top is on the long list of "Sh*t To Do" (already have all of the CF cloth, waiting on buying the resin until I'm just about ready to do it........at the rate I get things done, it'd reach it's expiration date before I got around to it).

Been designing (CAD) CF rockers w/ducts and dampeners to feed air to the cooling fan on the engine (able to close them off in cold or wet weather...maybe a cable system like the heater flapper valves idea.gif ), with a matching CF stockish looking ducktail spoiler.

An A/C evaporator that is completely contained in the engine compartment (most likely a FG housing just to save bucks), using the existing ducts to move the cooled air to the passenger compartment (hate those underdash units). Got all of the donor parts, just have to wait until I get the engine back in to take the measurements for the housing. Condenser coils (one in each rear fender well), intakes are Boxsterlike scoops, vented low and behind the rear wheels.

Been pondering CFing the inside of the tub (as mentioned earlier) using unidirectional CF prepreg.......extra thick along the longs, lower back portion (ala Mark's stiffening kit), center tunnel, and tying back into the longs across the footwell. It would be layed up over the stock metal (coated to protect the metal from the CF), and vacuum bagged/bonded to eliminate air pockets/bubbles.....wouldn't be all that difficult, just a bit time consuming and messy.

No biggies:

CF stock gauge panel
CF engine tin

I've been messing with CF/Kevlar for years (at work), and I highly recommend Burt Rutan's book:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpa...es/moldless.php

It has some practical practice projects (say that three times fast) to get your confidence up. It's mainly for experimental aircraft builders, but if you can get you 914 lightened up enough, it'd really fly (around the AX course)!
grantsfo
Dream Stuff:

* CF tub
* A Boxster inspired 4 cylinder Porsche crate engine
* Porsche ceramic brake kit
* Rust romoval and patch in a spray can biggrin.gif

Closer to reality:

* Updated aluminum suspension arms
* Minimalist CF dash
* CF engine lid
* CF rocker panels
* CF integrated hood and front fenders with tilt forward design.
* CF doors with working internals and glass - could include rengineered door latches ohmy.gif
* A cost effective (under $1500) after market Fuel Injection system that works
* A turnkey Boxster engine and tranny conversion kit
* Turnkey suspension kit: Updated bolt on hubs with modern bearings, etc., vented brake brake rotors, bigger calipers, full coilover suspension.
* A well designed prefabricated roll cage kit
* Modular stereo system that can be removed for track days
* Modular AC unit that can be hooked up and removed easily
* RS style door panels
* Cost effective fuel cell that replaces stock gas tank
* Cost effective stainless steel header and exhuast system
* A high quality volume Type 4 production facility in China (yes you can set up quality operations in China). Make sure to send Jakes video with Mandarin subtitles. biggrin.gif Focus on making one engine, 2270cc with Nickies, etc for lowest possible price. Sell said engines at Wal Mart.
* Nice stainless steel fuel line replacement kit
* Aftermarket close ratio 6 speed transmission
* Affordable LSD
* Aftermarket ABS system
* Polished aluminum bumpers
* A quality volume/affordable turnkey 914-6 conversion kit
* Bolt in CF sport seats
* CF mirrors that bolt on to stock mounts
* Cold Air Intake that increases performance on T4 fuel injected engines
* Headlight motor delete kit that includes manual way to put headlights up the few times I use them!
* Updated seat belt replacement kit

jonwatts
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Aug 27 2005, 12:17 PM)
I faguely remember a member

Not that there's anything wrong with that wink.gif

Been pondering CFing the inside of the tub

What would be the reason for this? Looks?

jonwatts
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 27 2005, 12:30 PM)
Closer to reality:

My jaw was dropping at this "reality" list until I saw where you're from laugh.gif

Great stuff, but I think most of it belongs on the "dream" list

SpecialK
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Aug 27 2005, 01:33 PM)

Been pondering CFing the inside of the tub

What would be the reason for this? Looks?

Uhhh......stiffening? huh.gif

Lighter that steel.........stiffer that wedding day dick!

I suppose that you could use the tub as a mold, and sell them as CF tub inserts (for "stiffening"), but unless they were properly bonded to the tub you'd gain nothing but extra weight.
grantsfo
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Aug 27 2005, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 27 2005, 12:30 PM)
Closer to reality:

My jaw was dropping at this "reality" list until I saw where you're from laugh.gif

Great stuff, but I think most of it belongs on the "dream" list

Hey I'm an optimist jester.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Aug 27 2005, 12:40 PM)
Uhhh......stiffening? huh.gif

Lighter that steel.........

Ahh, I think it'd also be more flexible than steel unless you have a huge autoclave to be your pressure cooker. That's how they make carbon fiber race car chassis. Everything else is pretty much just prettier and slightly lighter than fiberglass.

scotty914
well i have figured out how to do a fg engine lid, with rain tray to clear carbs. it is an AL frame bonded in the glass. it would accept the stock mesh, and could be cut in to a gt lid. it would use the stock latch, be be just a lift out item after the latch is released.

it should weight about about 8 to 10 lbs with rain tray.

i just dont have the money to produce the molds, but if some one wants to order one i can use the money for their lid to make the molds and the lid.

if you want to see what i can do with fiberglass, click here then scroll down the the akula boat discription
jonwatts
Another of my own dumb ideas:

A copy of the firewall in CF or FG from either side (engine compartment or passenger compartment) to sandwich against the metal with a layer of insulation to help with sound deadening. Then again, the fact that the top layer would be a hard surface might mitigate any benefits from the insulation layer confused24.gif

Just trying to think of a way to reduce noise for those who think taking out the sound pad makes the cars too loud.

SpecialK
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Aug 27 2005, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Aug 27 2005, 12:40 PM)
Uhhh......stiffening?  :huh:

Lighter that steel.........

Ahh, I think it'd also be more flexible than steel unless you have a huge autoclave to be your pressure cooker. That's how they make carbon fiber race car chassis. Everything else is pretty much just prettier and slightly lighter than fiberglass.

That's what the vacuum bagging is for (14.7 psia with a good vacuum pump...got one) and IR lamps (got 'em) take care of the heat (FYI 180F - 200F for one hour after 1 hour of ambient temp cure). It reduces the resin content of the composite material (resin rich is weak and cracks, resin poor is weak and porous) through the bleeder and breather plys to near optimum (or as close as you can get in a garage setting). I've done many, many, many repairs on composite structures (wings, stabilators, fuselages) in the last 18 years, all had to be NDT inspected, all checked good. Let's just put it this way.....I trust my composite reinforcement skills waaaay more than my ability to weld. Need more practice I guess... welder.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Aug 27 2005, 01:07 PM)
I've done many, many, many repairs on composite structures (wings, stabilators, fuselages) in the last 18 years, all had to be NDT inspected, all checked good.

I think a local expert has spoken boldblue.gif
scottb
i want a good a/c that, would be efficient (not suck too much hp) and will use the factory ducts so everyone can have a cool(er) car in summer. it would be nice to be able to drive my car on the days when i need to wear a suit for work rather than taking the family mobile.......

and my wife would dig it too.

must be asy to install as well.... oh, and priced reasonably....

now i need to wake up from the dream....
Sammy
a six cylinder conversion kit that places the engine in the back (rear engine) where it belongs wink.gif

ducking for cover.
SpecialK
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Aug 27 2005, 01:54 PM)
Another of my own dumb ideas:

A copy of the firewall in CF or FG from either side (engine compartment or passenger compartment) to sandwich against the metal with a layer of insulation to help with sound deadening. Then again, the fact that the top layer would be a hard surface might mitigate any benefits from the insulation layer confused24.gif

Just trying to think of a way to reduce noise for those who think taking out the sound pad makes the cars too loud.

Not "dumb" at all (IMO) wink.gif ,

I purchased 9 yds. of Texalium awhile back (99% aluminum impregnated fiberglass, a.k.a - silver carbon fiber) just for that reason. I figured a three piece firewall (center hump, two sides), one piece would be a PITA to remove if you had to. Using the firewall as a mold, make two of everything, and sandwich some soundening material (looking at that brown bread stuff, or possibly 1/2" ceramic insulation used in kilns) between them. Another layer of deadening material to the inside of the firewall, and attach the texalium firewall bits to the engine compartment side with removable fasteners going through rubber grommets to lessen the transmission of vibration, and also create an air space (to keep rust from forming like the stock POS) between the metal firewall and the "theoretical" sound deadener panels...(looks good on paper rolleyes.gif ). At the very least, the double layers of texalium should be an excellent heat reflector (99% aluminum, especially if I went with the ceramic insulation), and a whole bunch lighter than the stock rustubator blanket.

Contemplating using the same technique to make heat shields that are fitted above the SS heat exchangers (with 1/4" ceramic insulation).

huh.gif I just realized that if my () keys broke on my keyboard I'd be screwed!! screwy.gif (yeah...screwed for sure!! unsure.gif )
jr91472
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 26 2005, 01:49 PM)

If my new Billet oil coolers made from intercooler cores work well you may not need an external cooler at all.... Just bolt this baby in the stock location and drive...... I am testing them next week- all billet and bad ass!!!

cool, keep me posted. All they big dollars?
Mark Henry
Low profile front side marker lights that look almost OEM
Jake Raby
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Aug 27 2005, 02:27 PM)

cool, keep me posted. All they big dollars?

They won't be bad at all... Probably 200.00 or less- and they bolt right on to the stock case boss AND will have a modified airfoil to help squeeze more pressure into the cavity to make up for the loss of having a bigger cooler core (surface area)...

I am working on 3 of them for different apps as we speak, one is much bigger for the DTM/ 914 applications -

200$ isn't bad for a hand fabbed, oil cooler....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 27 2005, 06:55 PM)

no kidding.

a new early 911 or 914.6 cooler is over a grand...
Tobra
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 27 2005, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Aug 27 2005, 02:27 PM)

cool, keep me posted.  All they big dollars?

They won't be bad at all... Probably 200.00 or less- and they bolt right on to the stock case boss AND will have a modified airfoil to help squeeze more pressure into the cavity to make up for the loss of having a bigger cooler core (surface area)...

I am working on 3 of them for different apps as we speak, one is much bigger for the DTM/ 914 applications -

I would buy one, or more accurately, I would stick a note on my wife's pillow and get it for Christmas or my birthday, or something. It weems to me, that once you hve the molds for the rubber seals, you can make all you want. It also seems to me that there is definitely a market for this, because 914 people seem much more compulsive about their cars than bug people. They make reproduction seals for VW's, why not for these? Hey you Pelican guys, what is the holdup, I know they sell a ton of stuff to people here, who is bitching to them about this, I mean besides me.
Jake Raby
It also seems to me that there is definitely a market for this, because 914 people seem much more compulsive about their cars than bug people

Big difference though... The bug guys spend A LOT more money on their engines than teeners do.... Thats why I have pretty much gave up on making new and exciting things for the 914 version of the TIV engine... Those Billet oil coolers are really being made for the VW Bus guys (TIV engine) that have oil temperature issues and certainly don't want an external cooler.

Heck I only did the 914 version of the DTM because I had enough people wanting them that it would pay for the mold to be made...
lapuwali
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 27 2005, 03:34 PM)
It also seems to me that there is definitely a market for this, because 914 people seem much more compulsive about their cars than bug people

Big difference though... The bug guys spend A LOT more money on their engines than teeners do.... Thats why I have pretty much gave up on making new and exciting things for the 914 version of the TIV engine... Those Billet oil coolers are really being made for the VW Bus guys (TIV engine) that have oil temperature issues and certainly don't want an external cooler.

Heck I only did the 914 version of the DTM because I had enough people wanting them that it would pay for the mold to be made...

And I think the reason for this is simple: there are LOTS of Bug shows around the world, and people accept highly modified Bugs as show cars. There are several Bug specific magazines, all possible venues for nicely modified cars to be shown off. This is not true in the 914 world. 914s are not generally considered worthwhile at Porsche shows, and there's no other show circuit for them to inhabit. I suspect most of the big spenders in Bug land intend to compete with the cars. With a 914, the only avenues for competition are AX (which doesn't really lend itself to a big budget) and road-racing (which is a very limited market).
SGB
genuinly producible items-
my own idea:
rear brake pad clearance screw cover piece (plastic-moldable )
Other good ideas
Rubber turnsignal wiring harness boots
Window Guide End Cap,

and
CF stock replacment targa top
cooltimes
A virtual reality, troubleshooting animated 914. You click on the area that you are having a problem with. That area becomes a 3D sector that has all the possible components that give headaches to the owners. You click a particular item and the typical problems that occur to that trouble related item are animated, complete with generated trouble sound. It can be done but I can only make up these ideas. LOL

Also, if nobody has mentioned in any of the posts, which I haven't read, a quadrant for shifting smoothly even if without it you occassionly hear that dreaded scraping, grinding gear shifting noise.

We are dreaming, huh? LOL
jr91472
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 27 2005, 02:55 PM)

Sounds ideal. My teener flirts with the 240's on really hot days. If I can knock 20-30deg off of that without extra hoses, sandwich plates, etc.....I am in!!!!

biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Thats exactly who will benefit the most from the cooler- Guys that are borderline and just need a few more degrees to be acceptable/safe...

The dummy oil cooler that we cut apart to make the prototype units was from Danica Patrick's Indy car.... smilie_pokal.gif It is also made from the same intercooler core material.... and the same fabricator makes them up for her- damn guy is amazing!
GWN7
QUOTE (SGB @ Aug 27 2005, 04:16 PM)

rear brake pad clearance screw cover piece (plastic-moldable )

Low profile front side marker lights that look almost OEM

Someone was going to send me one of these to sample. From the pictures he sent is is quite easy to make those. All I need is 1 good one.

I was told they are also used on eyetalian cars.

Replacements for the NLA left side marker lens are almost available. To make a shorter version I would need a prototype of what you wanted.
STL914
An inexpensive, bolt-on, conversion unit that would allow
me to burn distilled water instead of that high priced petroleum by product currently available. Oh yeah, it has to increase my MPG to at least 60. smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
I'm paying over $6.50 for a gallon here, so what are you complaining 'bout???
bd1308
how in the world do you do it man?

smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
wink.gif Since were all on this C.F. kick and no one else has mentioned it.....how about a C.F. backpad mold. confused24.gif EVERY 914 I have ever owned/werked on/ bought & sold has been rotten on the bottom. I don't have ANY good ones and have 3 cars lined up that will be very nice, to perfect if I could have decent back pads. Shpould be relativly easy for someone with experience and a vaccum bagger biggrin.gif hint hint hint rolleyes.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (goose2 @ Aug 26 2005, 12:24 PM)
Minimalist, weld on steel flares....about half the width of the GT flares.

agree.gif

F-glass bumper tops, front and rear

There was a guy at the MWC that was selling these. I'll be damn if I can find the flyer of his I picked up. Not sure on his prices, $200 ish each I think. Anyone.........
bd1308
QUOTE (scotty b @ Aug 27 2005, 09:25 PM)
wink.gif Since were all on this C.F. kick and no one else has mentioned it.....how about a C.F. backpad mold. confused24.gif EVERY 914 I have ever owned/werked on/ bought & sold has been rotten on the bottom. I don't have ANY good ones and have 3 cars lined up that will be very nice, to perfect if I could have decent back pads. Shpould be relativly easy for someone with experience and a vaccum bagger biggrin.gif hint hint hint rolleyes.gif

all of my metal clips are broken on mine......

sounds good to me
JeffBowlsby
* A cost effective (under $1500) after market Fuel Injection system that works

We are there already...MS, SDS, Link... biggrin.gif
YksKrad
Diffrent door panels... something with more shape and meat too them... They seem to plain... The two toned interior on my car turns heads, but the doors seem out of place...

edit
I saw this in another post, and this is what I'd like... minus the carpet part...
user posted image
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 26 2005, 11:19 PM)
cheap chrome bumpers, chrome targa trim pieces, someone is already doing the fiberglass bumper tops(thank god!!)

I would like to see all the trim in black, instead of chrome. smilie_pokal.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (scotty b @ Aug 27 2005, 09:25 PM)

get some fiberglass resin (type not important) and thin it with some acetone, or MEK, and paint the fiberous part of the backpad. Just make sure you don't reinstall the backpad until the resin has cured completely, or you might not get it back out in one piece........... headbang.gif

Or cover the firewall with heavy gauge plastic like disposible drop cloth, and reinstall the pad to make sure it conforms to the firewall correctly. Let it cure, and remove the plastic.
redshift
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 27 2005, 10:23 PM)
I'm paying over $6.50 for a gallon here, so what are you complaining 'bout???

Not having 'free' health care... rolleyes.gif

L M A O...

smile.gif

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (YksKrad @ Aug 27 2005, 11:25 PM)
Diffrent door panels... something with more shape and meat too them... They seem to plain... The two toned interior on my car turns heads, but the doors seem out of place...

edit
I saw this in another post, and this is what I'd like... minus the carpet part...
user posted image

morphenspectra made mine... look very similar to those... amazing quality and fiberglass backing!!! smilie_pokal.gif great price too, IMHO

I'm all over that oil cooler too Jake, !! pray.gif stock one is over 100 now, I'd pay 200 for lowering the oil temp and not having to run external...

jonwatts
I believe this is the radio plate from my '73 and after looking at it again me thinks it's not correct; there's no cut-out for the glovebox lock. Might be from another P-car? Comments are welcome.

Oh, and I might be interested in some CF headlight covers that incorporate the eyebrow like on the Chalon cars. I'd like to improve on that design a little (just the headlight design).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.