Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Teknon
Is there an adapter to go from a Ford 351C to a Porsche transmission?? I have searched around some and can't seem to find one. All are for a Chevy so far.

idea.gif
Brian Mifsud
That might be because the Ford block MAY be too long to fit. Call Kennedy and they will tell you the whole scoop.
Mueller
You've been looking in the wrong place smile.gif

Kennedy Engineering Products

These guys make the adapters and flywheels for just about anything.

Mueller
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Sep 26 2005, 08:52 AM)
That might be because the Ford block MAY be too long to fit.  Call Kennedy and they will tell you the whole scoop.

will people Please stop that non-sense that the Ford block is too long !!!!! smile.gif

Looking at the KEP site, they don't list the Cleveland block, but I'd still call them and ask.

I think a Windsor block would be better since it's lighter
(I do like the 351C motors, had a Mach 1 with one in it years ago, the one car I kick myself for selling)

hijacked.gif

Brian,

a place called Pryo Minerals in Oakland has pretty much everything needed for castings.....I'll be going up there this week to start buying stuff
Teknon
QUOTE (Mueller @ Sep 26 2005, 09:52 AM)
You've been looking in the wrong place smile.gif

Kennedy Engineering Products

These guys make the adapters and flywheels for just about anything.

I sent an Email to Kennedy asking for info on 351C to Porsche.

My hope is, down the road I could pick up a Pantera in need of an engine. dry.gif
Crazyhippy
There are wyas to get the trans bolted to the motor, but it will not fit into a 914 w/o cutting into the firewall for distributor clearance.

Good luck w/ it
BJH
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Sep 26 2005, 01:01 PM)
...it will not fit into a 914 w/o cutting into the firewall for distributor clearance.

if that's really the only problem, why not just sh!tcan the dizzy and run crankfire ?
Teknon
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 26 2005, 01:00 PM)
...it will not fit into a 914 w/o cutting into the firewall for distributor clearance.

if that's really the only problem, why not just sh!tcan the dizzy and run crankfire ?

Exellent idea!! boldblue.gif

There has got to be someone who has done this. Some old Mustang motorhead, that was won over to the superhandling midi-car, the beloved 914. screwy.gif

Trying to see if the Pantera zf Tranny could be squeezed in. That would be BAD.

rocking nana.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Teknon @ Sep 26 2005, 12:14 PM)

There has got to be someone who has done this. Some old Mustang motorhead, that was won over to the superhandling midi-car, the beloved 914. screwy.gif

rocking nana.gif

pantera trans has been done before....

BTW - bend over on price of ZF transaxle screwy.gif
Mueller
There has got to be someone who has done this.

yea...the factory smile.gif

the very popular do-it-yourself EDIS crankfire came from Ford production vehicles
(see this site for some info...Megasquirt EFI site )

there are 2 ZF equipped 914's running around here in the SF Bay Area....

like Aaron mentioned, bring cash, lot's of it for a ZF...
Teknon
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 26 2005, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (Teknon @ Sep 26 2005, 12:14 PM)

rocking nana.gif

pantera trans has been done before....

BTW - bend over on price of ZF transaxle screwy.gif

$850.00 bucks? No bending required. ZF Tranny
Aaron Cox
that isnt a transAXLE... thats a transmission...
user posted image
Mueller
QUOTE (Teknon @ Sep 26 2005, 12:34 PM)

$850.00 bucks? No bending required.

ummmm, you must be new to cars I take it??? screwy.gif smile.gif

explain how that transmission will take place of a transaxle??? biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
this is a pantera ZF
user posted image
with outputshafts for U joints on it....
Teknon
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 26 2005, 01:36 PM)
that isnt a transAXLE... thats a transmission...
user posted image

OOOOOOppss. w00t.gif
Aaron Cox
here is such an ad
I have a ZF type 2 transaxle and bellhousing from a very low miles Pantera. Crated and ready to ship. Price - 6,500

MikeP
A ZF might actually be cheaper in the long run. Current tally on my 930:

$3k trans
$2k machining to flip the ring
$2.2k shipping, sliders, new synchros, gaskets, etc

It adds up fast. sad.gif

In the end you'll have a better trans with the 930 though, higher tourque capability etc. A ZF is the way to go if you plan on keeping it under 450hp though. Also consider the Mendeola.
Mueller
correct ZF for sale, $6500

damn...beat by aAron
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Sep 26 2005, 12:42 PM)
correct ZF for sale, $6500

damn...beat by aAron

a minute late there mikey w00t.gif laugh.gif
Teknon
OK, But it's only 5 times the price. Yow icon8.gif

Transaxle

Man, I want one! chowtime.gif

Might have to hustle a swimming pool to build. If I was a hustler.
idea.gif
MikeP
My plan was to sell my 915 trans when I did this upgrade. Now that I see what is involved in finding a LSD box and getting the machining and rebuild done I can't bear to part with it. ZF makes a lot of sense. Ready to go right out of the box, solid linkage can be tricky though. They really take some fiddling to get just so.
turbo914v8
First off let me set you all straight regarding the ZF. I am currently putting over a 1000 HP and 1000 lbs of torque through my ZF.The install was straight forward, easy to do. The most challenging part of the install was the hydraulic clutch set up. There are a few 914 v8 ZF conversions here on this board, running over 400 hp. I can provide you with information regarding a large number of pantera's running in excess of 500 hp through the ZF. Its a common misconception that the ZF will not hold large amounts of power. I am not sure where this misconception started but lets end it here. The ZF is the way to go as it was designed to be used with a v8 thus the gearing is perfect out of the box, no monk eying around with flipping the R&P, and you get five gears with an option for a six speed conversion. Replacement parts are readily available as well as all different types of gear ratio's. If you can get a ZF you will not be sorry. Added bonus you will have a ton of help from those of us here that have already done it. Best of luck with your decision.

Andyrew
If it only cost as much as a Chevy turbo trani...

Hmph...
Aaron Cox
ive never seen linkage pics of a ZF in a 914
jd74914
QUOTE (914GT @ Sep 26 2005, 04:15 PM)
The ZF certainly does go for a chunk of change. More expensive than what many (most?) 914s go for.

but a converted 915, 916, or 930 box would also go for more than most teeners huh.gif maybe you need it if you like burnouts (i know a guy with a pantera that lites up his tires every time out) rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Sep 26 2005, 02:20 PM)
The ZF certainly does go for a chunk of change.  More expensive than what many (most?) 914s go for.

but a converted 915, 916, or 930 box would also go for more than most teeners huh.gif maybe you need it if you like burnouts (i know a guy with a pantera that lites up his tires every time out) rolleyes.gif

a 916 is a factory converted 915. IIRC 2 versions availaible one had an integral pump and was setup with a cooler...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Sep 26 2005, 04:19 PM)
I am currently putting over a 1000 HP and 1000 lbs of torque through my ZF....

again with these numbers...

but there are no pictures.
there are no dyno sheets.

remind me again why you believe these numbers?
914GT
Sorry, I deleted that post when I saw someone already posted the link to ebay. I can do burnouts just fine with my 901 but it's not necessary. Part throttle in 2nd gear is plenty fun and saves tires and gas ... and fascinates the kids in their little 'rice burners'.
jd74914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 26 2005, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Sep 26 2005, 02:20 PM)
The ZF certainly does go for a chunk of change.  More expensive than what many (most?) 914s go for.

a 916 is a factory converted 915. IIRC 2 versions availaible one had an integral pump and was setup with a cooler...

I know that (I meant that the purchase price of one is many $$$$)
jd74914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 26 2005, 04:38 PM)

I kinda would like to know the specs on the engine

So turbo914v8 whats with your engine?
MikeP
Maybe a ZF will hold the power. I don't know. I do know that I have hours of time in a car with a DYNO proven 700hp and a 930 box that gets the shit kicked out of it by the 10" slicks it runs and it just keeps coming back for more. When I made my decision there were no ZF cars running in my area and the owners I spoke to were in the 400-500 hp range. The only two cars I've ever seen, yes I have the pictures, run 700+hp both have 930 boxes in them. As far as I can tell the only thing to be concerned about with the 930 for extremely high hp applications is the quality of the welding that is done when the ring is flipped. But like I said before ZF is probably actually going to be cheaper when you factor in all of the bs that goes with the 930 conversion. If I could have gotten a ride in a ZF car and see some actual hp numbers I probably would have gone that way. Maybe on the next one .......right.
Aaron Cox
no way to mount a 930 upside down?

save *SOME* hassle.... buty introduces others... screwy.gif
MikeP
it has been done, there are some issues with oiling but not too many.
neo914-6
QUOTE (MikeP @ Sep 26 2005, 11:41 AM)
A ZF might actually be cheaper in the long run. Current tally on my 930:

$3k trans
$2k machining to flip the ring
$2.2k shipping, sliders, new synchros, gaskets, etc

It adds up fast. sad.gif

In the end you'll have a better trans with the 930 though, higher tourque capability etc. A ZF is the way to go if you plan on keeping it under 450hp though. Also consider the Mendeola.

Mike,

You haven't even listed the mounts, shifter, clutch, flywheel, and adapter plate! biggrin.gif Are you getting LSD?

Mueller
QUOTE (MikeP @ Sep 26 2005, 02:53 PM)
Maybe a ZF will hold the power. I don't know. I do know that I have hours of time in a car with a DYNO proven 700hp and a 930 box that gets the shit kicked out of it by the 10" slicks it runs and it just keeps coming back for more.

I thought he twisted the input shaft on that gear box doing a dyno run burnout.gif ...I still cannot believe I have yet to go for ride in that car...one of these days smile.gif
MikeP
Are you thinking of the new twin turbo one? I don't know what is going on with that one but I do know that it DYNO'd at 1200 before it shipped to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he did twist that one up.

Felix, yup 84% LSD (cause I drive like an ahole) The cost of the 930 case I bought was higher because of the LSD. You can get them without for 2400ish IF YOU CAN FIND THEM. I didn't list clutch and linkage costs because A. they are too painfull to put in print, and B. I figure that is apples to apples for any trans upgrade. I was throwing out figures just for the built box. Don't even ask about the wheels tires and brakes. icon8.gif
neo914-6
Wow this thread has changed to transaxle wars, watch out or will be banned like religion and politics topics... laugh.gif

I've been researching mid-price ($3-4k), mid-range (300-400hp) transaxles used successfully for mid-engine replicars and race cars. There are cheaper options to the ZF and 930 but each has it's drawbacks in terms of availability, parts and service support. Additionally they'd have to be a significant improvement to the 901 which seems to hold up to 300 and up to 400hp if in good working or rebuilt condition and well respected. One of these days I'll post the data.

For those who want to push the car, the 930 makes the most sense until a performance transaxle supplier (i.e. Mendeola) markets a street version for under $10k. Rebuilt RBT ZF's are strong but like the 914, they are "vintage" engineering. The two local guys running ZFs have them because they got them "cheap" many years ago. If you can find one for under $6k that's considered a bargain these days...
Rider914
I want this box! Full throttle clutchless upshifts.

http://www.hewland.com/svga/productrange/nlt.htm

Costs more than twice my car. . . sad.gif
turbo914v8
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Sep 26 2005, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 26 2005, 04:38 PM)

I kinda would like to know the specs on the engine

So turbo914v8 whats with your engine?

I don’t mind sharing information. I believe these numbers because that’s what the dyno report says. Even if I post pictures unless you see if for your self you wont believe it. This summer I snapped the chasse in half, too much torque. I am in the process of rebuilding this time with a proper cage. I really don’t know what I was thinking. I figured I would be able to get away with seem welding and chasse strengthening kits. Obviously it did not work. We just had our second child so for the moment work on the 914 has halted. When I start work on it again I will document the progress here. There will be lots of pictures in my Blog at that time.

Engine specs: Nascar bowtie block .03 over = 355ci v8

Building a 1000 Hp V8 is not hard. First off you will need to use forced induction. My choice of weapon for this is a custom-built twin turbo system designed and built by me to fit in the 914. You will need at least 30 psi so an intercooler is a must. Fuel management is critical so selecting a good FI system is also important. I chose Electromotive. Three points need to be address with regards to the engine. The reciprocating assembly needs to be strong (Crank, connection rods, pistons). Low compression is a must. I am using Ross reverse dome floating pistons. Under 30 psi you have to make sure that the cylinders will seal. To combat this problem I had my block "O" ringed and I am using a coated copper head gasket. That's it. You don’t even have to port the heads, however I did because I'm greedy. The magic comes from the cam grind. I had a really smart friend figure that one out for me, but there are lost of cams available that will do the trick. I have a small circle of friends who experiment with turbo systems. I have seen these guys take a stock Chevy v8 with 200km +, Turbo charge it using parts from the junkyard and make well over 600 hp. I got my inspiration from those guys. I would have to agree with comments made earlier regarding the high cost of the ZF box. I also got mine very cheep that was a big factor in using it. Another added advantage with the ZF box is that you get to use the big clutch packages that are readily available from many sources.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Sep 27 2005, 10:26 AM)
I believe these numbers because that’s what the dyno report says.

just post that.
turbo914v8
Sorry just trying to give a complete picture. And I like telling this story. biggrin.gif

Crazyhippy
This one only made 918hp.... @ 5800 rpm aktion035.gif on pump gas rocking nana.gif

user posted image

Oh yeah 750+ ft-lbs of TQ from 3200-6500rpm w00t.gif

It's not going into a 914 though... It will end up in a lil ole ski boat

Add some more boost (and av-gas) and it puts out 1300HP (1293.4), and will run flat out for hours at a time beerchug.gif happy11.gif
BIGKAT_83
Think that one would fill up the 914 engine bay pretty full. Sure would like to see how Paul got two turbo's mounted on his in a 914.

wink.gif wink.gif

Bob
Crazyhippy
I imagine it will be set up very similar to the one above, it will fit this way, and the plumbing is easy, run some "block hugger" shorty headers, inverted, turbos bolted straight to them, and exhausting to the back (just like shown)

An air-air intercooler will take up alot more space, so that might be the herd part, but you could go away from the motor w/ the pressurised intake, and then up to a top mounted intercooler with the outlet (s) in the center for a center dump intake manifold

lots of custom work, but not rocket-science
914GT
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Sep 27 2005, 10:56 AM)
This one only made 918hp.... @ 5800 rpm aktion035.gif on pump gas rocking nana.gif

user posted image

Oh yeah 750+ ft-lbs of TQ from 3200-6500rpm w00t.gif

It's not going into a 914 though... It will end up in a lil ole ski boat

Add some more boost (and av-gas) and it puts out 1300HP (1293.4), and will run flat out for hours at a time beerchug.gif happy11.gif

Is that a 61 Chevy Impala SS in the background?
BIGKAT_83
Thats a 1960 Impala and looks nice. I'd like to see some more pictures.

Bob
turbo914v8
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Sep 27 2005, 11:18 AM)
I imagine it will be set up very similar to the one above, it will fit this way, and the plumbing is easy, run some "block hugger" shorty headers, inverted, turbos bolted straight to them, and exhausting to the back (just like shown)

An air-air intercooler will take up alot more space, so that might be the herd part, but you could go away from the motor w/ the pressurised intake, and then up to a top mounted intercooler with the outlet (s) in the center for a center dump intake manifold

lots of custom work, but not rocket-science

Dam your good. Thats exactly how I did it. And I thought that I was so smart wink.gif I wont even bother to tell you what my motor did on AV gas wacko.gif
Crazyhippy
Woo Hoo... go me boldblue.gif clap.gif

that motor is in a 21' boat, it recently competed in the Catalina Ski Race (Longbeach to Catalina and back)62 miles of open ocean, and was the fastest boat under 22' at 1hr 3 min aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

The record is 53ish minutes (open ocean w/ a waterskier no less) screwy.gif screwy.gif

there are motors that make more HP... they dont last nearly as long though. This particular boat is scheduled to run the Parker 300 in october... 300 miles damn near flat out (over 100mph average speed is expected biggrin.gif ) w/ 2 mandatory fuel stops in there...

I still want a ride in yours beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Sep 27 2005, 03:54 PM)
Woo Hoo... go me boldblue.gif clap.gif

that motor is in a 21' boat, it recently competed in the Catalina Ski Race (Longbeach to Catalina and back)62 miles of open ocean, and was the fastest boat under 22' at 1hr 3 min aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

The record is 53ish minutes (open ocean w/ a waterskier no less) screwy.gif screwy.gif

there are motors that make more HP... they dont last nearly as long though. This particular boat is scheduled to run the Parker 300 in october... 300 miles damn near flat out (over 100mph average speed is expected biggrin.gif ) w/ 2 mandatory fuel stops in there...

I still want a ride in yours beerchug.gif

call me chicken, but that is too much motor for a 21' foot boat....a stock 455 was enough in our 19' ski boat for me screwy.gif biggrin.gif

how many gallons of fuel does that puppy drink while planeing the water???

Crazyhippy
off boost, it will run all day on 40ish

the hour of catalina took just over 120 (140 on board)

For the parker 300 there will be almost 500 gallons on board blink.gif

It might take an extra stop too burnout.gif

Not this boat, but at worlds in 2001 (i think) they had a radar gun on a skier at 126mph screwy.gif pray.gif

This boat is suprisingly docile. It is easy to drive around the docks, and as long as you keep your foot off the gas, you would swear it was a mild motor, but when you do gas it... it tries to rip your head off, and doesn't ever let up drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.