Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: upgread power??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
BIGKAT_83
Jake I have a cabin up in White county off of Bean Creek Rd. in Sutee. I try to make it up there 2/3 times a week. Where are you located at?? Might stop by sometime.

Bob wink.gif
Jake Raby
You go right by my shop and don't even known it..

I'm off the Helen Highway (GA 75) about 1.5 miles from the red light in Cleveland...As you go up the Helen Hwy when you pass the White County Jail and Senior center look up high on top of the hill behind the jail and thats where I'm at in total seclusion..

With the leaves falling quickly you'll be able to see my shop in about 3 weeks (damn I hate that)

Give me a call when you think you might want to stop by. I'm not open to the public but you could stop in as long as I have a day or two notice..

BTW- If you are ever in the woods by your cabin and hear a sound that is close to a WWII airplane dive bombing- thats me on the dyno.. It can be heard over 10 miles away most of the time!
banksyinoz
sounds like you have all the fun jake do the locals ever complain? or do they just get told to f off
Jake Raby
They used to complain... Years ago the first time I fired up the dyno was at 3 Am... No one knew what the hell it was..

Now they have learned that complaining gets them no where at all, except MORE noise... We have no noise ordnance and the cops love to hear engines scream so when someone does call them they come up and watch me and thats about all....

Once one neighbor called me and said it was so loud in his garage that he could not talk to his wife.... so I then made sure to run my TIV powered cam testing device for 48 solid hours and didn't shut it off all night... That was a reminder that the more he complained the worse it *could* be...

They have learned not to complain.... Hell most of them have moved, but thats okay because we were here first and own more land than they do anyway.....

Just wait till the second dyno is up and going, I can test TWO engines at once and run the cam test device all at the same time..... Thats going to be unbearable!
Andyrew
Youll have the opportunity to buy more land soon.... lol
banksyinoz
damn i might have to make a trip over just to see that hahahaha
most of my neighbours either join in or move even the 80+ granny gives the thumbs up she often asks about whats going on and get this she even wants a drive of the 914 biggrin.gif

the police dont understand here they just want REVENUE so you cant fart after 10pm
Jake Raby
Youll have the opportunity to buy more land soon.... lol

Yep thats the goal... No one else wants to buy it because of the shop and the noise... Hell its like suicide pulling out of the neighbors driveway- you might get AT boned by a wild man dring a beetle that things the road in front of the house is a dragstrip or a persoanl test track!

When I was a kid I terrorized everyone with dirtbikes and quads- no yard was off limits.. Then I got into HAM radios and CBs and made some amplifiers that totally knocked blocked out most TV channels (before cable of course) then I wnt through the rifle and shotgun stage shooting pretty much everthing that moved and then came the engine shop.... so all the neighbors all well versed with my presence here.. cool.gif
Brett W
I drive rice because it is cheap, reliable and fast. 300hp, 36MPG @90mph, heat that works all the time, (and doesn't require extra gas heaters to do it), pulls 1G on the pad, Insurance is a dollar, factory parts are a dollar and easy to come by, and room to carry three bikes inside out of the weather. What's your point? Compare my stock rice to your stock kraut can and I can assure you my rice was much nicer.

This is a REAL Carrera GT and I don't see a piece of plastic OR a damn radiator..

Nice, too bad you can't afford to drive it. Engine maintainence alone will keep it in the garage. What's a tune up cost for one 15K. Looks nice sitting in a museum, but will never show up in the real world.

Porsche went to watercooling because aircooling just ain't cutting it in the real world. Aircooled engines can't meet noise, pollution, or mileage requirements in the modern world. If they could VW and Porsche would still use them.

Porsche makes some of the best cars in the world and they are engineered well enough that they can run all day everyday without problems. They don't have scheduled oil changes until 15K, plugs? (sometime around the second owner) I won't talk about VW as their quality has fallen in the past. The Japanese are beating the rest of the world for quality.

Nothing wrong with liking a heritage. I still like my 914 even though it shifts like shit, leaks like hell when it rains, and sounds like a damn diesel engine when it gets hot. In reality the 914 is an old car built with old technology. The look is fabulous, but the rest needs to be upgraded to something much more modern. Sorry 175/75-15 tires should remain a thing of the past, as should analog fuel injection, and aircooling.
Twystd1
This is a good time to bite my lip and shut the Fucc up......

Clayton
Jake Raby
Nice, too bad you can't afford to drive it.

Are you saying that I couldn't afford to drive it or that no one else could?? Trust me, the guy that did own it could and did afford to drive it EVEN IN ATLANTA TRAFFIC pretty much on a daily basis.

Engine maintainence alone will keep it in the garage.

He must have never worked on one.....

What's a tune up cost for one 15K.

You'd be suprised, I charged him about 400 bucks, unless it needed a valve adjustment- thats about 1K worth of time...

Looks nice sitting in a museum, but will never show up in the real world.

Thats according to what "Real World" you live in... In my world cool things like this pop up from time to time!

Compare my stock rice to your stock kraut can and I can assure you my rice was much nicer.

Damn- he must really be trying to piss me off....

I still like my 914 even though it shifts like shit,

Whats wrong, you can't change a few simple bushings and use some common sense to install some spherical bearings to support the shift rod a tad better?

leaks like hell when it rains,

Well, buy some damn targa top seals and window rubber.

and sounds like a damn diesel engine when it gets hot.

Use thicker oil, or make sure it doesn't "Get that hot"....

It's not rocket science..... Jeez, I'm sure someone with your skills could conquer it, hell I'm a dumbass but my teener don't leak and until diesels can turn 8500 RPM it won't be sounding like one either!

Brett W
Are you saying that I couldn't afford to drive it or that no one else could?? Trust me, the guy that did own it could and did afford to drive it EVEN IN ATLANTA TRAFFIC pretty much on a daily basis.

The Average joe can't afford to drive such a car on a daily basis. I have no idea what you could afford or not.

Thats according to what "Real World" you live in... In my world cool things like this pop up from time to time!

It is cool from a a historical stand point. That engine was a hell of an engine for its time. Most folks will never see such a car outside of a museum or controlled car show setiing. Obviously there are exceptions that statement. I only see work on some lowly 500-800HP rice, 300+hp rotaries, HSR 2.0 Club Sport Cars, and ricey bike motor powered formula cars. We deal with a different clientele.

Whats wrong, you can't change a few simple bushings and use some common sense to install some spherical bearings to support the shift rod a tad better?

Bushngs aren't the problem. It is the basic design of the tranny. The shifter throw is like a damn rowboat, the synchros in the tranny are such an archaic design, and the linkage is a mile long. I do away with the stock linkage and go to a nice cable shifter. I doubt there is a racer on the planet that thinks the stock shifter is the fastest way around the track. It takes way to long to shift. Its and internal design problem. I can assure you the stock Boxster shifter is not near as shitty.

The car has new rubber. It just doesn't fit the same on all the cars I have worked on. That is nothing that can't be overcome with some time but, since I don't daily drive one anymore it is not on my list of things to worry about.

It's not rocket science..... Jeez, I'm sure someone with your skills could conquer it, hell I'm a dumbass but my teener don't leak and until diesels can turn 8500 RPM it won't be sounding like one either!

Why the hell should I have "run thicker oil". If the engine didn't grow three times what a water cooled engine does, I shouldn't need to. It never got "that" hot.

We will never agree on this and I don't much care to. I drive what I drive because I think it is a better way to do it. We can always go to the track and see what is faster, and not any of that dragstrip crap.
Trekkor
QUOTE (bender @ Oct 4 2005, 11:26 AM)
hi guys
i want to upgread my 1973 1.8 engine
i want 2 stay with 4 cyl and i want around 150-180 hp
were can i do it?
how?
kits?
do you know prices range?
thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hijackers!!! hijacked.gif

Bender, find a good used 2.0 and run that or
get a big bore kit for your motor.

1911cc seems to be the favorite build up on the cheap based on a 1.7-1.8 motor.

fresh rings, valves, hoses and all the gaskets will do wonders.

KT
Trekkor
Getting big HP will be expensive...

Drive what you have, make it reliable and safe.
Do a bigger motor or a conversion after you have done your homework.

KT
Jake Raby
Yep-
I just realized how bad we hijacked this one...

Sorry dude- Brett and I will argue somewhere else.
bug man nrg
type4 can turbo for quite cheap if you have the time and welding skills .As for the efi set up there are a lot out there and they all do the same thing from fuel to timimg and a lot of thing that you will not need .if you have a 2.0 type4 with a mild turbo efi set up you can see 180 daily driver .any thing over this is hand full to drive day to day .
Do your home work befor you spend your cash huh.gif laugh.gif .i do not know what all the fuss is over when you get the power you will not use it unles you are at the track trust me i have the power and it is not all it is cracked up to be .
180-200hp is a lot of fun
I drive around with low boost @ 230hp this a good daily driver on high boost you just hang on and hope for the best
www.emeraldperformance.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.