Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 CIS trunk mod question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
If you have, or have pictures of a /6 conversion using CIS and the rear trunk for top storage, I would like to see some pictures of the modification.

Liz wants both CIS and top storage and I would like to facilitate that for her.
Ferg
2.7 or 3.0?

If a 2.7 Check out the build threads of DougC he bought my 2.7. The PO to me had a interesting solution to the problem using audi and vw parts.

DougC's thread with pics:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...hl=engine&st=20

Ferg.
Series9
QUOTE (Ferg @ Oct 21 2005, 11:28 AM)
2.7 or 3.0?

If a 2.7 Check out the build threads of DougC he bought my 2.7. The PO to me had a interesting solution to the problem using audi and vw parts.

DougC's thread with pics:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...hl=engine&st=20

Ferg.

That helps. Thanks Mike.

Actually, one 2.7 and maybe one 3.0..... cool.gif
Ferg
If a 3.0 they will fit too, barely. You have to shave down the ribs on the rubber CIS boot, and loose the engine latch.

Mountain Man's 3.0, last pic shows what I mean.

http://members.rennlist.com/mountain914/

Ferg
lapuwali
I only had to remove the lid latch. The trunk was unmolested. The ribs on the snorkel hit the mesh on the lid, but the lid could be closed completely (just), using hood pins to hold it down. This was a 2.4T, so it looks like ALL of the CIS setups will clear. No pics, I haven't owned the car since '99.
Series9
'Barely' works for me. I would much rather not mod the rear firewall. Good. I think both can be talked into pins for the engine deck.
goose2
you can move the latch if you don't like pins
lylegd
I have a 1976 911S 2.7 liter CIS motor in a 75 car. (original CIS system)
a) Redid the hose layout on the backside of the throttle body so that the hoses and fittings fit tightly against the backside of the throttle body. Also relocated the AAR valve and its hoses.
cool.gif Relocated the engine lid latch to the right side of car.
c) Lowered the engine by 1.25 inches by adding spacers to the four motor mounts and modifyed the mounting of the rubber that seals the engine sheet metal to the body.
d) So far there are no mods to the rear trunk so the top fits well while being stored in the trunk.

This works well but it is still a VERY tight fit. I am thinking about adding an access trap door to the front edge of the trunk so that I can get to the backside of the CIS. I would use sheet metal cut from a dismantled 914 car body to make the trapdoor and then fasten it in place with sheet metal screws and a gasket. I now have the sheet metal trapdoor but haven't installed it. It is very difficult to reattach the rubber air boot and its two hose clamps with the engine in the car. The access door/panel would be it easier to do this task. Even if I go ahead with installing the door, the roof will still fit in the rear trunk.

Lyle
MoveQik
QUOTE (914RS @ Oct 21 2005, 10:53 AM)
I think both can be talked into pins for the engine deck.

Bullshit. They'll never go for that. wink.gif
Series9
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Oct 24 2005, 07:20 AM)

To whom it may concern,

3.2 with Motronic solves everything..... cool.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (914RS @ Oct 24 2005, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Oct 24 2005, 07:20 AM)

To whom it may concern,

3.2 with Motronic solves everything..... cool.gif

Subtle as a sledgehammer.
sixnotfour
2.7 vs 3.2 vs 3.6 just takes more $$ , Its all about the budget
seanery
bluecar had a 2.7 cis for a short while, and we modded' the trunk edge a bit. It's still altered, but now it's got a 2.7 RS (sans MFI) in it. driving.gif
John
3.2 with Motronic solves everything.....

The stock air cleaner in the stock location won't quite fit without cutting or moving some things around. The air flow meter is where the engine lid latch is.
MoveQik
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 24 2005, 10:14 PM)

The stock air cleaner in the stock location won't quite fit without cutting or moving some things around. The air flow meter is where the engine lid latch is.

I seem to recall that Ferg's car had no latch on the lid for that reason.
xitspd
ohmy.gif Joe,

There was a Black 914-6 with a 3.0 in it at the D&G swap meet. It fit well with the CIS air box shaved a bit. Call John (VegasRacer) he has a 3.0 CSI in his machine. I am sure he has some good intell for you.

Dan

Series9
Vegas Racer has a major mod to his rear firewall which precludes him from storing his top in the back.

It's no problem to move a few things on the 3.2 and keep the body stock.
Ferg
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Oct 25 2005, 05:53 AM)
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 24 2005, 10:14 PM)

I seem to recall that Ferg's car had no latch on the lid for that reason.

Well, Sorta.

My Latch was still there, and A 3.2 will fit without removing it. I removed the lid part of the latch, cause it was ever so slightly rubbing on the air flow sensor. All it would take is some shaving grinding of the retaining nut on the lid to be in the clear.

Joe, If your now needing 3.2 pics, pm me and I will send you some of the custom bracket that was made to hold the air flow sensor, and the part number of the only air filter to fit without monkeying with downward facing tubing ect.

Ferg.
Series9
OK, show me.
Ferg
Mount Close up
Ferg
slightly turned to clear latch...

Ferg
one more... I have more at home or can take more pics of the mount with the air filter removed if you like.

Series9
That's fine. Thanks Mike.

You're engine bay actually looked a little dirty in that second picture. I knew I should have cleaned the RS before voting at the RRC.... cool.gif
Ferg
QUOTE (914RS @ Oct 25 2005, 07:36 AM)
That's fine. Thanks Mike.

You're engine bay actually looked a little dirty in that second picture. I knew I should have cleaned the RS before voting at the RRC.... cool.gif

LOL, i'm still finding red dust in places dry.gif

and the air filter in those pics does not clear the lid. I had to go smaller on the diameter.

Ferg.
Series9
Smaller diameter air filter:
Ferg
More Pics were promised so here you go.

Ferg
nuther, the mounting point on the aluminum intake runners is slotted for adjustment
Ferg
very tight but works, the pic angle makes it look tighter than it actually is.
Ferg
last one
MoveQik
QUOTE (Ferg @ Oct 25 2005, 07:04 PM)

I'll bet you a hundred bucks that the pics were only delayed because Mike had to clean the thing before he posted pics. lol2.gif
John
Mike,

That's almost exactly what I'm attempting with my recent 3.2 project. On the race car, we simply cut the rear trunk and kept everything stock. Since then we have replaced the stock airbox with one of those cone air cleaners.

On my street car 3.2 I am already planning on getting one and turning the air flow meter as you show. I'm glad to see that it all fits in there.

I was considering turning the intake manifold around, but may not have to.
Series9
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Oct 25 2005, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (Ferg @ Oct 25 2005, 07:04 PM)

I'll bet you a hundred bucks that the pics were only delayed because Mike had to clean the thing before he posted pics. lol2.gif

laugh.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (goose2 @ Oct 21 2005, 01:39 PM)
you can move the latch if you don't like pins

The PO had moved the latch about 6" to the right on Elvira. The cable kept getting bound up and it did not opperate smoothly at all, even when it worked it's best. I could either not get it open or not get it closed more than half the time. After I replaced it twice I said Fuch it and took out the latch and put in pins. They work perfectly 100% of the time.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Ferg @ Oct 25 2005, 08:39 AM)
LOL, i'm still finding red dust in places dry.gif

Ain't that the truth. ohmy.gif That stuff is everywhere.

P.S. - All you clean engine / CW's can KMA.gif
shadygrady
On my 3.0, we lowered the firewall mount about an inch and removed the latch. secured it with pins. no clearance problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.