Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein sport shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
For those of you using these for AX/DE/TT...what height are you using...
1st,2nd,3rd or 4th spring stop starting from the top?
How does it affect your front geometry? or does it? When you have the car either level or slightly raked front to rear.
Bump steer a problem? Rack spaced?
Thanks
wacko.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 31 2005, 07:41 PM)
For those of you using these for AX/DE/TT...what height are you using...
1st,2nd,3rd or 4th spring stop starting from the top?
How does it affect your front geometry?  or does it?  When you have the car either level or slightly raked front to rear.
Bump steer a problem?  Rack spaced?
Thanks
wacko.gif

I use the doughnuts to measure to the ground....a fairly level concrete surface, actually. Presently, the dimemsions are 4.75" all around. This leaves me with about 2.5 inches of travel in the struts.....with one "bump" cut off the bump stop.
I use a rack spacer kit. No problems with bump steer.....yet.
As the suspension compresses, you gain negative camber.

The "yet" is, hopefully not going to be an issue when I install the raised spindle struts I have. I've found someone locally to joggle the pitman arms. I'll probably use the gain for suspension travel rather than lower the car. They do allow me to fool with the ride height some, should I get the notion.

Seems to me I used the 5th groove from the bottom....I now have the threaded collars....I'll have to go look at old pics to verify that.
Aaron Cox
i use 3rd from bottom smile.gif LOW wink.gif

goin threaded perches soon
J P Stein
No old pics. Found a newer pic. 5th would be about right per my eyeball.
dlo914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 31 2005, 08:03 PM)
i use 3rd from bottom smile.gif LOW wink.gif

goin threaded perches soon

also third from the bottom.
nine14cats
Hi Dan,

Do you have adjustable collars? I may have an extra set laying around in the trailer if you want them for cheap. I ran the Bils with the adjustables on our 914-6 you drove. I can't remember if I've sold them or not..... wacko.gif

I'll look in the trailer tomorrow....

Bill P.
DanT
Bill,
Do the collars work with the normal inside diameter springs like Weltmeisters or do you need the narrower springs with the 2.5" inside diameter?
Let me know if you find them and which springs will work with them.
Thanks
Dan biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 31 2005, 10:28 PM)
Bill,
Do the collars work with the normal inside diameter springs like Weltmeisters or do you need the narrower springs with the 2.5" inside diameter?
Let me know if you find them and which springs will work with them.
Thanks
Dan biggrin.gif

mike mueller is modded stock perch to work with threaded collars...

the benefit of 2.5" race springs is that ANY spring rate can be had
DanT
Being able to use various spring rates is nice and all, but I just want to be able to use my 180s.
My previous 914-6 had them with Bilsteins and they worked very well.
I used the stock Bil snap rings with weltmeister 180s. Ran 205 tires and turned 1:49-1:50s at Laguna. I want to try to duplicate my set up on my new 914-4 if possible.
Should be able to turn ~1:55+ with the 4 banger....at least that is my goal. rolleyes.gif

I would like to hear from Mike about his modded spring perch.
r_towle
I set the rears at the second from the bottom.

I have the weltmeister 180lb springs.

AutoX and street.

I learned that the front of the car should be about 1/4 inch higher than the rear for autoX...dont know about a good track setup...but it works GREAT fro autox.

I just went from even in front and back to having the back slightly below the front....it helps alot on braking and weight transfer...

besides, its an easy swap.

I have no bump stops on any of my shocks.

I also have 23 mm torsion bars and 22 mm front sway...

Rich
Mueller
Hi Dan,

Here is a thread on it, please excuse how "crude" it is smile.gif

mods for stock diameter springs w/adj perches

You can see in the picture the modified spring perch, all I did was cut it in my lathe to fit over the threaded tube to rest on the collar.

user posted image
Gint
6 notches from the bottom on this 2.0. Probably tired stock springs also.
DanT
Thanks for the replies guys.
The way Mike modded the stock perches is pretty nice.
I would love to see some pics of some of the stock bodied cars from the side view with the lowered stances. chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.