Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An assignment for all of you.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
bd1308
huh?
r_towle
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2005, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 7 2005, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 7 2005, 09:44 AM)
i posted the vin of the pink car awhile back and nobody did anything.

Not quite true. I put a lot of effort into trying to find the true paint. I needed you to get me an accurate depiction of the color to work with. I did about all I could with the info available.

And yeah, not too many were pleased that you chopped the front end off when you had offers of alternates.

Now... now... Be nice, rolleyes.gif Britt saved his car. Britt needed to have his car fixed in short order. He had no wheels. After seeing this car his decision was a no brainer. I think I was an absolute a$$ about the car. This one is truly a parts car. The rust and damage are extensive. It will be a real challenge for me to repair just the rust damage and quite frankly I'm not quite convinced I should. (well almost)

Replacing the front will take a week of evenings. The most time will be spent making a fixture to be sure the pickup points are aligned. Not a real big part of the repair.

I am working to locate a suitable parts car within a couple of hundred mile. If I can locate a parts car with a good front and right quarter panel, maybe some good wiring, and next to free I'll definitely fix it.

For now, I want to find out as much as possible about this car and NOW Jasons car! The puliminary D&A tests show we may have sisters! Now that's exciting!

the front clip is all yours...for nada.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 7 2005, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2005, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 7 2005, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 7 2005, 09:44 AM)
i posted the vin of the pink car awhile back and nobody did anything.

Not quite true. I put a lot of effort into trying to find the true paint. I needed you to get me an accurate depiction of the color to work with. I did about all I could with the info available.

And yeah, not too many were pleased that you chopped the front end off when you had offers of alternates.

Now... now... Be nice, rolleyes.gif Britt saved his car. Britt needed to have his car fixed in short order. He had no wheels. After seeing this car his decision was a no brainer. I think I was an absolute a$$ about the car. This one is truly a parts car. The rust and damage are extensive. It will be a real challenge for me to repair just the rust damage and quite frankly I'm not quite convinced I should. (well almost)

Replacing the front will take a week of evenings. The most time will be spent making a fixture to be sure the pickup points are aligned. Not a real big part of the repair.

I am working to locate a suitable parts car within a couple of hundred mile. If I can locate a parts car with a good front and right quarter panel, maybe some good wiring, and next to free I'll definitely fix it.

For now, I want to find out as much as possible about this car and NOW Jasons car! The puliminary D&A tests show we may have sisters! Now that's exciting!

the front clip is all yours...for nada.

Rich

clap.gif
rick 918-S
I couldn't get a good photo of the chassis number. headbang.gif But the number is 4359531 .
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2005, 02:05 PM)
I couldn't get a good photo of the chassis number. headbang.gif But the number is 4359531 .

hold button until it focuses....depress smile.gif

MJHanna
Porsche did a "buble gum " colored cars cars at that time they were used in some of the ads most were 911's One of my friends has on that was purple, and was repainted aburnine (sp) They could have done some 914's as part of the ad campain.
davep
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2005, 01:05 PM)
the chassis number is 4359531 .

Wow, that is weird, two days apart and not consecutive. Almost blows my theory apart about painting in batches.

Don't worry Britt, I got over it. I knew you had access difficulties at the time. Also, I enjoy the hunt so the time was well spent.
jasons
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 7 2005, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 7 2005, 11:39 AM)

Somewhere in that post, I think they conclude that the car was Bahia Red.  I thought, until yesterday/today, this car was originally Bahia Red because of that thread.  But, I knew the paint code didn't jive.

Now, there may be 3rd?

Bahia Red L30E was a standard color for 71 through 74 so it could not be that color. The code 98 means custom and extra cost.
So far, see my own thread, we have 11 VIN's with code 98. That is pretty small percentage of total production. Any custom color demands special treatment IMHO.

Jason, please post the chassis # to be sure I read it correctly.

Katmanken
So if Santa brings you a whole bunch of little bottles of p****y pink fingernail polish, how long would it take you to paint the car?
happy11.gif
Ken
davep
Thanks Jason, just wanted to confirm.

In my paint chip brochure for 1973 there is an optional paint for the 911 called 'raspberry' and it looks like an excellent candidate. Not listed for 72 or 74. Can't find a code for it though.

Ah, maybe not so fast. In my paint & upholstery book it has color 024 / 4510 as rose red/fraise, however fraise translates as strawberry

http://www.paintscratch.com
choose Porsche 1973

aubergine is 025 / 4010
guards red or India red is 027 / 2510
sepia brown is 415 / 5410

these are all 1973 colors.
by 1977 there is
magenta or fucsia = 009 / H2V9 in the new code system.
however PPG says magenta was available from 73 to 77
jasons
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 7 2005, 05:50 PM)

In my paint chip brochure for 1973 there is an optional paint for the 911 called 'raspberry' and it looks like an excellent candidate. Not listed for 72 or 74. Can't find a code for it though.

Ah, maybe not so fast. In my paint & upholstery book it has color 024 / 4510 as rose red/fraise, however fraise translates as strawberry

choose Porsche 1973

It looks like that rasberry to me. Thats the best fit so far.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 7 2005, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 7 2005, 05:50 PM)

choose Porsche 1973

It looks like that rasberry to me. Thats the best fit so far.

I agree! Looks like the raspberry. Cool!
rick 918-S
Just did search on the Bird Board for Mkinne. His last post was 2003. I sent him an email and a PM over on the Bird. If he still has the same email address maybe he'll join us and help shed some more light on the subject.
seanery
I go away for a couple days and we seem to have a cool mystery unfolding here! clap.gif
davep
I found that Matt Kinne has an entry here, but no posts, so I emailed him also. That is the car I added in my post to the code 98 thread.

So can we agree to call it Rose Red / Raspberry?
jasons
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 8 2005, 08:50 AM)
I found that Matt Kinne has an entry here, but no posts, so I emailed him also. That is the car I added in my post to the code 98 thread.

I kinda like P***y Pink
rick 918-S
QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 8 2005, 10:17 AM)

I kinda like P***y Pink

I hope Matt joins in here.

Off the record like the P***y Pink too, But for the record I like Raspberry.

I'm going to see if I can get a pint mixed, spray a test panel, and compare it to my car.

Dave, pm me your address and I may be able to send you a sample of the color as it is on the Hottie.
jasons
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 8 2005, 03:28 PM)

I kinda like P***y Pink

I'm going to see if I can get a pint mixed, spray a test panel, and compare it to my car.

Dave, pm me your address and I may be able to send you a sample of the color as it is on the Hottie.

I'm going to have a real crisis with this pink color thing. I am not planning a resto on this car. I am planning more of a street racer/de/autox car with flares. Pink was not at the top of my list, not even second, not even on the list.

I would be curious to see a good sized panel in this color. Maybe, I can find it in my heart to at least give the car its orginal color.

But Pink?!?!?
GWN7
QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 8 2005, 03:43 PM)

Dave, pm me your address and I may be able to send you a sample of the color as it is on the Hottie. [/QUOTE]
I'm going to have a real crisis with this pink color thing. I am not planning a resto on this car. I am planning more of a street racer/de/autox car with flares. Pink was not at the top of my list, not even second, not even on the list.

I would be curious to see a good sized panel in this color. Maybe, I can find it in my heart to at least give the car its orginal color.

But Pink?!?!?

Just think of how bad the other guys will feel when you beat them in a pink car. wink.gif
rick 918-S
<!-- QuoteBegin jasons+Dec 8 2005, 03:43 PM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 8 2005, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> <!-- QuoteBegin rick 918-S+Dec 8 2005, 03:28 PM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 8 2005, 03:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> <!-- QuoteBegin jasons+Dec 8 2005, 10:17 AM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 8 2005, 10:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> <!-- QuoteBegin davep+Dec 8 2005, 08:50 AM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (davep @ Dec 8 2005, 08:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> I found that Matt Kinne has an entry here, but no posts, so I emailed him also. That is the car I added in my post to the code 98 thread.

So can we agree to call it Rose Red / Raspberry? <!-- QuoteEnd --></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
I kinda like P***y Pink <!-- QuoteEnd --></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Dave, pm me your address and I may be able to send you a sample of the color as it is on the Hottie. <!-- QuoteEnd --></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

But Pink?!?!? <!-- QuoteEnd --></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
The color is a very Hot Raspberry color on Britt's old car. I wouldn't call it pink.

We'll I guess I would call it pink, specially when I spanked a tail dragger with twice the HP! <!-- emo&:headbanger: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

For now think of it as Raspberry.

Really, paint it what you want. Then I'll have the only Raspberry car know to exist. <!-- emo&:headbanger: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo --> Except for the missing Matt.... <!-- emo&:idea: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->
bd1308
dude give me your vin tag, i'll paint my car pink.

b
rick 918-S
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 8 2005, 04:11 PM)
dude give me your vin tag, i'll paint my car pink.

b

Not Fair! mad.gif

Kidding laugh.gif
MJHanna
I've got a book on some of Porsche literature / sales brochure. There was German ad for a 1972 911 the car appears to be Pink / raspberry is the 914 a 72?
MJHanna
this is on a 911 S
MJHanna
same time frame as the Pink 914's
davep
That 911 appears to be Aubergine or perhaps Lilac, I'd need to know the paint code. These colors were current in the period 1970 to 1974 and perhaps later.
maf914
When the IROC series first began they used Porsche 911's which were painted very bright colors. I can't remember, but I bet there were some pink, fuschia, or rasberry colors used. idea.gif

MJHanna
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 9 2005, 07:36 AM)
That 911 appears to be Aubergine or perhaps Lilac, I'd need to know the paint code. These colors were current in the period 1970 to 1974 and perhaps later.

The car was repaint Aubergine, I belive it originally was Lilac as can be seen in the truck pic and center tunnel. I'll try to get the code for you.
rick 918-S
I nominate this thead for Classic status! All the years I've owned 914's I never knew such outragous colors were available. I think the discussion is casting light a whole new direction for research. Coming from a body shop background and painting thousands of cars the same blues, burgandys and vanilla ho hum, I'm really enjoying this exchange.

I had a nice chat with Davep on the phone last light. Dave is a very interesting guy.

BTW; it sounds like someone he knows may have done a 928 conversion in a 914. I told him it's another Alien sighting until we have pictures. assimilate.gif
davep
Thanks Rick, it was a real pleasure talking to you. The period colors were rather funky, and many I like better than the current lot.
SirAndy
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 9 2005, 07:04 AM)
All the years I've owned 914's I never knew such outragous colors were available.

well, than you're going to enjoy this bit of information i got from a former employee at the factory in weissach ...

turns out, ferry porsche had a thing for those bright, psychedelic colors.
my source tells me that during the prototype phase, he often ordered the cars to be painted in "outragous" colors and color combinations.

that's how #4 got it's lilac interior/trunk color ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
jd74914
I thought that it was Ferdinand Piech that liked the starnge colors. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Dec 9 2005, 11:16 AM)
I thought that it was Ferdinand Piech that liked the starnge colors. confused24.gif

i was told it was ferry ... huh.gif

anyways, one of the two dirty old man was into the '60s colors ...
bd1308
ohmy.gif

smile.gif

colors.... drooley.gif

me like colors.
Stutgart46
It took me forever to do the research, but I have come to the following conclusion. These cars were painted for a pair of Gastroenterologists. That had a partnership and did some medicine development on the side. It seems that the Dr. Pepto and Dr. Bismol purchased these cars as gift to one another.
So Rick you must have Pepto and Jason must have Bismol.
Congratulations, the mystery is solved. wink.gif
McMark
That 911 is probably Lilac. It certainly ain't Aubergine.
rick 918-S
I sent DuPont an email last week. I got a call from a paint tech today. He didn't have a clue about the Raspberry color. Once I gave him the link Davep listed to paintscratch.com he was able to find a code that he thinks will match.

The code is 33768 only available in Centari or their Nason acrylic enamel paint systems. I'm going to the local Dupont supplier to have a pint mixed. I want to spray out some test panels.
jasons
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 12 2005, 06:27 PM)
I sent DuPont an email last week. I got a call from a paint tech today. He didn't have a clue about the Raspberry color. Once I gave him the link Davep listed to paintscratch.com he was able to find a code that he thinks will match.

The code is 33768 only available in Centari or their Nason acrylic enamel paint systems. I'm going to the local Dupont supplier to have a pint mixed. I want to spray out some test panels.

Rick if you can send me a small sample of a painted panel, I can verify it is my color too.

THX
carr914
Here's a picture of the IROC cars including the Strawberry Pink car that was driven by David Pearson and Al Unser. This car later won the 1980 SCCA Trans AM Championship.

T.C.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 12 2005, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 12 2005, 06:27 PM)

Rick if you can send me a small sample of a painted panel, I can verify it is my color too.

THX

Will do. It won't be for month or so. I'm working late everyday for the next several weeks. I have no time and no life.
mkinne

I kinda like P***y Pink

Aw jeebus, thought i'd escaped. Now i'm gonna get sucked back in.

About the car:
VIN 4732908605 (1973)
Was 1.7L, pink (code 98) w/ tan interior and chrome bumpers.
Now 2.0L, metallic black w/ black interior (and chrome bumpers).
Has been in the family since around 1976. Second owners, I think.
Some more recent pics here > http://rider914.smugmug.com/gallery/446239/1/17961366

There is still some original pink in the hard to reach places. I'll take some pics, but that'll have to wait until I get home. Am in MI now (for work) thru 12/23, then i'll probly disappear for awhile on the black horse before getting back to work in '06.

(Three years ago, when I escaped from the 914 tinker-bug to pursue other passions, I was searching for subaru conversion info and found very little. Now it appears that every other thread is suby related. Must resist reading more...)

- Matt
jasons
QUOTE (mkinne @ Dec 13 2005, 05:28 PM)

I kinda like P***y Pink

Aw jeebus, thought i'd escaped. Now i'm gonna get sucked back in.

About the car:
VIN 4732908605 (1973)
Was 1.7L, pink (code 98) w/ tan interior and chrome bumpers.
Now 2.0L, metallic black w/ black interior (and chrome bumpers).
Has been in the family since around 1976. Second owners, I think.
Some more recent pics here > http://rider914.smugmug.com/gallery/446239/1/17961366

There is still some original pink in the hard to reach places. I'll take some pics, but that'll have to wait until I get home. Am in MI now (for work) thru 12/23, then i'll probly disappear for awhile on the black horse before getting back to work in '06.

(Three years ago, when I escaped from the 914 tinker-bug to pursue other passions, I was searching for subaru conversion info and found very little. Now it appears that every other thread is suby related. Must resist reading more...)

- Matt

Welcome to the madness. I am glad you could chime in and add your car to the "P***y Pink Car Club"! Actually you may be the founder going back to your PP post way back when.

Your car looks killer in black.
rick 918-S
wavey.gif clap.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif Killer! agree.gif Cool!
GWN7
when you get to it mabey This is the type of interior it should get....
bd1308
barf.gif

i'm starting to see more and more hot pink show up in my front trunk from huge crap shuffling around and chipping the top layer of paint.

b
redshift
Rick, I know of a couple 911s in that very color, and there was also a single 914 around the 85-6 time frame in Atlanta, I used to see it frequently in, and around the Smyrna area.

911s were both 74s I think, and Lauderdale/Miami.

M
bd1308
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 22 2006, 07:20 PM)
Rick, I know of a couple 911s in that very color, and there was also a single 914 around the 85-6 time frame in Atlanta, I used to see it frequently in, and around the Smyrna area.

911s were both 74s I think, and Lauderdale/Miami.

M

I have reason to believe that this 914 did come from GA.

Although my 914 came from the Athens, AL area....

b
redshift
Bruce was just saying that it might be the same car..

Am I right in thinking it's metalic, but not really metal flake?

M
bd1308
it doesnt have a metallic look to it...

it honestly looks like pepto-bismol.

b
Thorshammer
Just saw this post,

I used to do alot of window tint when I was in college. I tinted 2 930's that were this exact color, the color was a special order from the factory and the color dated back until 72 according to the owner, of the two 930's. He was very concerned about the condition of the paint and how the cars were handled. He had an RSR painted the same color, and it had been damaged and when repaired, it never matched.

The name of the color I think you have is Porsche "Special Red" it was never coded that I or the owner of the 930's knew of. I had seen it shot over a pearl base over silver, and it just stood out and was probably the most obnoxious color I had ever seen biggrin.gif

I loved it. The most stunning car I ever layed my eyes on. and it looked the best when I laid some sweet tint on the windows. 5 % black out don't you know.

Look under the code "Porsche Special Red"

Erik Madsen

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.