Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-jet wiring at coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bd1308
okay, so I know that L-jet uses the point pulses to fire injectors...my main relay is working, so what connections do i need at the coil?

i already have the tach wire, the point wire at the neg and nothing at the positive....

but i have a brown wire and two black wires joined to one both sets of wires having 12VDC on them....what gives?

b
bd1308
and i also have a white FI wire coming way off and out of the way of the harness which could also be the trigger wire....

why int he hell is a brown wire getting 12V?

b
JeffBowlsby
Britt-

There is a series of 3 L-Jet diagrams under links on my wiring harness website for an L-Jet harness. Seet eh FI harness section. There are actually three different L-Jet 914 harnesses, so does this one match your harness? Maybe its of some help anyway.
John
Your L-Jet is from a 1974.

The double relay has a black wire that goes to pin (15) on the coil.

The ECU harness pin (1) goes to pin (1) on the coil {also supposed to be black}

The 'other' wires terminating at the coil are:

pin (1) Green to points
pin (1) Black/Purple to Tachometer

pin (15) Black (+12V from fuse S9)

No brown wires should terminate at the coil. I believe you may have something wired incorrectly.

Do you have the wiring diagrams?
bd1308
let's do this step by step then:

A)where does the FI "WHITE" wire (that veers from the main bundle and is very long) terminate? Is it ground, or 12V?

B ) There is a YELLOW wire over by the relay board...where does this item go?

C) There is a set (two crimped together) of BLACK wires....where do these wires go?

D) I see a tan wire, maybe even white coming from the relay board connector..12V on it.

i tried a couple of combo's and all of them seemed to result in clicking from the dual relay...

E) that lug from the dual relay (RED WIRE) is indeed 12V correct?

b
lapuwali
The white wire may go to the AAR. It's just switched +12. The yellow wire is usually the starter wire, esp. if it's heavier gauge than many of the other wires.
bd1308
the yellow wire is regular sized wire...this harness is SO much different than my D-jet harness...

b
JeffBowlsby
L-Jet harnesses are completely different than D-Jet.

Draw us a diagram of your harness. Show how many poles each connector has and their location. Label each branch connector with a letter or number. Scan it and post it or email it to me.

bowlsby@sbcglobal.net
bd1308
mine is the 74 without the altitude compensator.

if you're referring to the OTHer harness coming from the relay board then I can do that for ya tomorrow.

I'll take pics as well.

b
John
(E) Red from the Dual relay -> To Batttery +12V

(cool.gif Yellow from Dual relay -> To Pin II of the (4) pin connector on the Regulator board (ties into starter yellow wire)

(A) The white FI wires are numbered if you look closely (I believe in red) If you could get a number, I could tell where it goes.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the AFC wiring diagram I just scanned for you.

bd1308
icon_bump.gif

and the FI wire is labeled "1" which goes to the coil, presumably the negative terminal.

b
bd1308
oh and Jeff thanks for the figures on your site, I looked them up early yesterday.

I really appreciate it....

b
Flat VW
hijacked.gif

Gonna be 78 degrees F. here today Britt.

Tom arrives here in about an hour. mueba.gif

'Detroit style' Coney Island chili dogs for lunch, chased down with Michigan apple cider. chowtime.gif

John

P.S. End of hijacked.gif
bd1308
sad.gif it's going to be 40F here, i'm stuck in the garage and my mom asks me every ten minutes if im done so she can put her jaguar back in the garage.

dang....sounds fun. I like apple cider.

b
r_towle
Britt,
What do you need.
We have a 74 ljet all done....

Let me know where you are at and I can go look at the live system.

Rich
bd1308
i am like almost there.....

im SO close....

I think that yellow wire is my culprit. Which pin is pin II?

im trying to get the spark going...worked fine for months until today. and then i think once thats taken care of, the car will start right up.

b
r_towle
Britt,
neg coil
green wire to points
white wire to FI harness, it comes out near the battery
BL/BR wire

Pos Coil
dual black.

Rich
bd1308
yeah but that wierd white or brown wire (from dual relay) has 12V on it...

b
r_towle
I have the big dual relay thing, and the smaller dual square box style relay mounted to the battery tray...

Which wire are you talkng about...

I will go look.

Rich
r_towle
tell me , when you lay the harness down where it is supposed to go, where is this wire coming out of the harness?

I will go look there and trace the wire...

Rich
bd1308
its not on the FI harness but off of the dual relay...

it comes out of that split between where it goes left (toward the relay board) and right (toward where I have the dual relay).

b
Aaron Cox
pictures can help us help you...

help us....help you.....

huh.gif biggrin.gif
r_towle
ok, the entire wiring harness that enables your FI system is called the FI wiring harness.

On mine (a 74 ljet)
the place where the brown wire leaves the wiring covering...the black plastic tube.....it at the same place all the coil wires coe out and the oil pressure sender.

That brown wire is grounded to the main ground connector at the top of the case, on the passenger side rear of the motor, it is using a case bolt just like djet. That is a five spade connector.

The yellow wire that appears there, but does not leave the tubing is going back to the relay board (the one behind the driver)

Rich
JeffBowlsby
Does the yellow wire have a 1/4" wide long-blade male wire terminal? If so it should go to the TS2 (head temp sensor).
bd1308
here's a pic. I dont even have spark now, and I had it yesterday.

The spade connector is laying in the relay board now, so i doubt it wouls stretch to the other side of the engine. Everything is there, and it *SHOULD* work, but i get neither spark nor fuel and i have voltage in all the right places.

r_towle
start simple.
Do you have power to the coil, key on?

If so, with a test light, you need to test your points to make sure they are stil ok...

The way you said you were plugging things in and testing it live makes me scared you might have shorted something out...

Make sure the CHT is plugged in.
Make sure all your grounds are plugges in.

if you dont have power to the coil, you need to back up and deal with that first.

Rich
bd1308
i do have power to the coil, 12V at one end and the points on the other end. What blows my mind is that i dont get a spark, as verified by my timing light, although it could be a bad timing light. I definately dont get fuel....believe me, i have my multimeter sitting on the back trunk and ive been using it....

b
r_towle
get a test light.

I believe you may have power to the coil.

You cannot test the points with a multimeter.
they do not provide enough resistance.

I had this problem also and it was purely related to setting the points up correctly.

We also changed the coil to another one and it had spark.
Might be a bad coil, or you may have killed it by plugging in the leads to the wrong side or backwards...

Not sure...but the coil sounds bad.
You can make it fire
key on /power to coil with a jumper.
turn distributor to make point close and open...get it just close to opening...
I use an old plug and an old plug lead, plug the lead into the coil, plug the plug in to the other end...ground the body of the plug to the fan shroud...
use leather or rubber gloves to hold it...it will hurt.
turn dizzy back and forth opening and closing the points to get the coil to fire..

you could have shorted the coil, shorted the condensor, or burned the points so bad that they will not carry the juice.

If you have a test light, you can check you point coil and condensor with a test light...each have different tests...
These tests cannot be done with a multimeter...there is not enough resistance...

You can make a test light with a 12V single filament bulb, some wire and a soldering gun/tape...

Rich
bd1308
i have two sets of everything, two coils and two dizzy's...one of each was in the box of stuff i recieved....

i have *NO CLUE* what's going on...but those black wires have 12V on them.

i'll try the test light idea.

b
r_towle
pull a plug wire, connect it to an old plug, ground it out and check for a spark.

If no spark, you need to work backwards.

If you have power to the coil you are not getting it through to the spark plug.

There are aonly three things to check now.

Coil

Rich
bd1308
okay i pulled a plug and voila! i have spark....

so how do i get the FI to work now?

b
r_towle
so, with a test light.

mount one side of test light to positive side of coil
mount the other side to ground.
Key to on position.
if light works you have power to the coil.

I know you did this with the multi meter...just do it with a light to both test the light and double check your readings...you may read 12v, but if the light is dim, you dont have enough amps...

Points/condensor testing

now take the test light lead that is connected to the positive side of the coil and move it to the negative side of the coil
remove the HD coil wire to the dizzy cap
remove cap and turn motor by hand.
the light should light up every time the points open..

test all four dizzy cam lobes to make sure you have no short in the dizzy.

if that is not the case, if the light does not light , and the points are clean and there is no crap in them, you need a condensor.

you can confirm the condesor test by putting the test light inline.
Unplug the green wire going to the negative side of the coil.
put the test light in that circuit and turn the motor over by hand with the key on.
the light should light, if not, you have a bad condensor.

Coil testing.

Put everything back together,,, rotor and all. (please tell me that you have a rotor...I have forgotten that more than once...)
Pull the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap.

hold the coil wire 1/8 inch away from a good ground.
this is the leather glove part (it does hurt)
turn motor by hand

if spark is blue/blue white/white you have a good coil
If spark is yellow and strong, you will need a new coil, but it will work for now
If spark is weak, or no spark, you need a new coil.

Rich
bd1308
and does somebody have a relay board pic of a L-jet car so I can dismiss the yellow wire from causing the problem?

b

PS=I really appreciaTE you all helping me out. Thank you. Have a cold one on me.
bd1308
teh spark was real yellow....

but i have spark.

i'll do the other steps....

b
r_towle
ok, good, you have spark.

now key on.
open up the aircleaner box...or remove it from the throttle body (its easier that way)

slide your hand in there and feel the flapper valve...

with key on, and radio off....move flapper valve and listen for the fuel pump.

Do you here it? If not you are not getting power to the relays...they feed power to the fuel pump.

tell me those results.

Rich
bd1308
i had my fuel pump re-wired to the front trunk and its no longer connected to the original wiring....

sad.gif

i hear it clicking when i connect that brown wire to the FI ground connections....could i hook a test light to the fuel pump connectors?
John
The relay boards are the same d-jet and l-jet.

I don't have my manuals at work so I can't scan the relay board in. There might be a pic of it on this site somewhere.
bd1308
there was, I looked at it yesterday.

anyway, with test-light/multimeter, i get nothing when i mess with the AFM.

this is bad isnt it?

sad.gif
r_towle
you will need to have the correct fuel pump installed and the correct wiring I believe...

If not, you will at least need to make sure it runs while the car is running.

On DJET the pump runs and primes the system when you turn the key on.

On LJET the pump only runs when the flapper valve moves, therefore, you need to figure out a way to run the pump now before you start it for the first time to prime the lines...

You probably have no fuel in the lines.

run the pump and listen for the air bubbles in the gas tank, you will hear the pump change tone once you have pressurised the system.

I found that the timing had to be perfect...
I static timed it with new plugs and wires...primed the pump and it started right up...

You need to have the aircleaner hook up correctly, or the flapper valve will not be metering the airflow and the car will stall right away...

You could potentially do that by hand, but it works the way it is supposed to , so hook it all up.

Make sure you have your fule rails all tight and not leaks.
You need your Aux air regulator hooked up and all your vacuum lines hooked up...or she wont start.

Rich
bd1308
the pump is already primed. heard the bubbles and everything. so im good.

whats with the AAR needing to be hooked up...I dont have currently the coldstart valve, the thermotime switch hooked up and the AAR is electrically hooked up. the resulting holes in the system are plugged.
r_towle
aar has vacuum hoses to it and the intake...

all vacuum lines need to be in place correctly, not monkey rigged...

This is a very touchy system versus the djet...no mony rigging allowed....

I spent several days trying to get it started and until all was correct it would not start.

Rich
bd1308
guess i need to go to FLAPS.

b
bd1308
but okay, whats the deal with no power at the fuel pump when the AFM is moved?

is it that yellow wire?

b
John
You could jumper a ground to make the fuel pump run per this pic.

This would energize the fuel pump relay when the key is on (as long as you are still using the fuel pump relay on the relay board).

r_towle
The deal is that you changed the wiring to the fuel pump.

I would suggest that you put the wiring correctly to the fuel pump so that the AFM controls it as it was designed...

Rich
bd1308
well the issue here isnt that my fuel pump doesnt run--the issue is that, while my fuel pump runs, I get no indication that the FI system is working. I can only sumise from the bubbles that my regulator is hooked up correctly (and from the hose diagrams from Pelican it shows they are) and that I have spark. Besides from the clicking when connecting wires from the relay, I have no reason to believe that this is even on.

b
r_towle
hang on for a sec....

that is the djet relay setup....

I only have one relay there...

Look in the haynes manual...it shows a pic of how the relays should look and the spare wire that is connected to the open bank of tabs.

Rich
bd1308
HUH? ohmy.gif

I have the same relay board.

I'm screwed aren't I?

b
r_towle
no the relay board is the same.

The LJET uses only one relay from that board.

The other relays are under the battery tray and are bigger..

Rich
John
B

The relay boards are the same D-Jet or L-Jet. It's the wire harnesses that are different. The spare relays shown in the pic are spares (I believe mainly to keep dirt out of the pin holes).

Does your fuel pump wiring still use the fuel pump relay?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.