Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COLORADO TRACK DAY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
TROJANMAN
May 20 and May 21
We are currently in the early planning stages of a track day in Colorado. We are going to ride on the coat tails of a PCA planned event, but the goal is to get enough 914's signed up so that we can have our own run times.

The event will take place approx. 2.5 hours SE of Denver at one of Colorado's last remaining tracks. The track fees will be paid for by Howard. biggrin.gif
Actually, the cost will probably be in the $125 range for a 2 day event. Timing will take place, so bragging rights are on the line. It would be great if some of you could show up. wink.gif plus, everyone can learn some great techniques from Experienced Porsche Driving Instructors.

Accomadations, and our home base, will be at Brant's Birthplace home (literally) in a a small rural part of colorado where the buffalo roam, and the deer and the antelope play. laugh.gif
Bonfires and Beer will be the highlight of the accomadations.
Please post if you would like more details.

For anyone wanting to spend some time in denver, there are plenty of us willing to host you. (right gint? rolleyes.gif )

Hope you guys can make it..................... beer.gif
brant
I sincerely would like to see some of those smiling faces that I met at the RRC and would love to put new faces with the names of some of you folk I've come to respect and know!

The event is going to be a fun safe one!
I'll buy everyone a beer that comes!
we will have EXPERT in car instructions wink.gif

also did I mention that we will have some tech support, spare parts, and an emergency trailer?

did I mention the instruction....
(ha... inside joke from a fella named Walt)

come'mon fellas! put it in your calendar for:
Saturday MAY 20th and Sunday the 21st!
Brew
May!?!? What happened to the April date?? I dunno if I can wait that long!

But I'll be there anyway!! beerchug.gif
MoveQik
Sounds like fun guys. Here is your mission should you decide to accept it:

Convince my wife that the same day that I return from my annual guys golf and poker trip that I should basically shower, pick up the 914 and head directly to Colorado to hang out with you folks racing around a track and drinking beer at night. Good luck gentlemen. I'll be watching. hide.gif

Ummmm yeah.....you can count me out.
brant
I think I am to blame for the april issue.
(2 different events at the same place one in april and the other may.... but the may one is definitely the party we are crashing)

Michael,
whats your home number.
I want to talk to your wife.
and besides what is more important golf or racing 914's on a track!

where are your priorities man!
alpha434
give me your home phone number. I'll convince your wife.

Joke. I don't want to talk to your wife. Married women sorta scare me.

ph34r.gif
Its a ninja. Has to be.

ph34r.gif
Cause this ones a terrorist.
MoveQik
I was afraid that some of you would want to talk to her. headbang.gif You can reach her at 867-5309. Don't call after 10:00 mountain time please.
alpha434
If brant has a roll of duct tape and my back, we could always kidnap him, and have his car shipped down here.

We'll need some help though.

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif
Maybe a band of ninjas can help.

ph34r.gif
And maybe one fanatical terrorist.
brant
I got your back Chris....

so Chris now that we know Michael is afraid to face you on the track....
seems like the only question remaining is if you can take Greg on the track or not..

Greg, you gonna put that sway bar on now?

brant
MoveQik
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 6 2006, 07:13 PM)

You don't want to mess with me on the track! Once I get all 78 horses going the same direction....look out! I am hell on wheels assuming I can get the car into second.... wacko.gif
brant
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jan 7 2006, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 6 2006, 07:13 PM)

You don't want to mess with me on the track! Once I get all 78 horses going the same direction....look out! I am hell on wheels

I say...
put your money where your mouth is!

biggrin.gif
MoveQik
Considering the only type of racing I have ever done is BMX when I was a kid, it would be pretty interesting with me out there. huh.gif
brant
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jan 8 2006, 08:04 AM)
Considering the only type of racing I have ever done is BMX when I was a kid, it would be pretty interesting with me out there. huh.gif

but its not racing per se...
its drivers ed

and what better place to get your feet wet than with 20 other 914's, many of which are doing their first ever track event too.

think about it...
no 911turbo guys to worry about.
sure you don't want to come?
I can put you up
its more exciting than golf.....

brant
MoveQik
I would love to. No chance though. I get back on Saturday from a 3 day trip so it would be pretty tough to get another couple of days approved.
brant
Ok Michael your off the hook.

I can't believe no one else has stepped up to this opportunity.
I guarantee you it will the be the cheapest track opportunity you may ever have again. We are even talking about subsidised food and lodging...

plus safe, and instruction.

hmmm.... surprised no one else has chimmed in.

Eric?
where is Joe RS?
Gint
Like I said on the Colorado-914, I can't commit at this point. But I really want to go.

If I got a offer of assistance to drop a motor and weld up a suspension ear that would definitely kick me in to high gear. Hint hint...
Trekkor
Road trip? idea.gif

Thinking...

KT
Brew
Gint, say the word! Let me know when, I'd be glad to help! Do you have a welder, or shall I bring mine?
majkos
G-man ar15.gif
After all the help you gave me,At least let me give ya a hand clap.gif LOL!!!!!
We could do it in a weekend,drop motor,grind, clean,weld,replace muffler,put motor back in! As long as I can drink beer beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif Kool!
brant
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 8 2006, 05:44 PM)
Road trip? idea.gif

Thinking...

KT

Trekkor,

beer, free lodging, and cheap track time...
why not make a road trip of it.
you would be famous....

Ginter,

plan a weekend (just not during my vacation in January)
I'll come help
I think we could get it done in a day!

have welder will travel.
brant
Trekkor
More details, please.

Seriously thinking... idea.gif

Where's a track map?

KT
brant
apparently my connection is too slow or else their website is down.
let me try tomorrow to get you a track map..
they may even have a video?

basically its an old WW2 airport circuit.
not much elevation but still really fun.

and corner one is taken on the floor in 5th gear.... Then you go over a hump and down shift to 3rd... have to make sure you break right after the car compresses from the "hump"

its fun...
and the whole weekend will be a blast.
you should do it!

brant
Trekkor
I'll keep an eye on this one. wink.gif

We'll turn it into a Grand Canyon visit on the way home.

KT
Gint
I have my own welder boys, I just need time. And a few spare hands. I'll plan for a nice weekend in March.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 8 2006, 08:25 PM)
I'll keep an eye on this one. wink.gif

We'll turn it into a Grand Canyon visit on the way home.

KT

or yellowstone if you come across I-80
brant
Trekkor and all.

don't know if this will work, but here is the only video I could scrounge up. Its not as high of a quality as your vids trekkor, but it gives you an idea:

lajunta
Trekkor
Thanks for posting the link.

I'm having a bit of trouble seeing it.
I want to save it but it keeps trying to play it "streaming".

Sounds fast...

KT
brant
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 9 2006, 08:05 PM)
Thanks for posting the link.

I'm having a bit of trouble seeing it.
I want to save it but it keeps trying to play it "streaming".

Sounds fast...

KT

I can't get their silly website to work from home on dial up. That might be your problem. I don't understand computers well enough to explain why.. but its probably a large flash media file or something....

anyways, I did find a track map for you.
It is fast, but not in a way where a 914 feels like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Because it has enough twisty stuff, that it is still fun for smaller motor'd cars. Heck, if we get this 914 specific run group, you will be the big dog anyways.

corner one is fun though...
if your feeling brave, you can choose to NOT lift in 5th gear

here is the picture:

Trekkor
you will be the big dog anyways

biggrin.gif More like the dirty dog... biggrin.gif

Good track map.

Looks like fun to me. Hows the run off?
( don't plan on using it )

KT
brant
Run off:

some good
and some fair.

around corner 1 and 2 the track is on its old airport runway, so its W I D E and you'll think its FI runoff because its all paved.

other places not so good.

this is an old rough track so it won't blow you away as the nicest thing you've ever seen.

but it will be cheap (did I mention that)
and besides.. the part that will blow you away is the high level of sophistication, intelligence, and good looks of the other participants.... lol

you big dirty dog you!

Wild 6
Am I imagining things or does this track look like a penis? biggrin.gif And a really fast penis too! I think I'll try to attend.

Andy
Ferg
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 12 2006, 09:05 AM)
it is looking like we are going to have a BIG peni.... i mean 914 turn out for this event.  :D

Brant, what are the current #'s?
we can now count Ferg, since he "says" he bought a track car poke.gif

what you think I would drive the 44 to a 914 event rolleyes.gif If I make it, which is looking good, and it's not torn apart, I will drive the six.

Ferg.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Ferg @ Jan 12 2006, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 12 2006, 09:05 AM)
it is looking like we are going to have a BIG peni.... i mean 914 turn out for this event.  :D

Brant, what are the current #'s?
we can now count Ferg, since he "says" he bought a track car poke.gif

what you think I would drive the 44 to a 914 event rolleyes.gif If I make it, which is looking good, and it's not torn apart, I will drive the six.

Ferg.

very simply, YES.
you big wuss.......... lol2.gif
brant
Andy (wild-6)
you've got to come!
I think we might have 2 other 3.6L's coming (I hope)
Joe RS
and the RS sister car out here in colorado owned by ken monohan.

(I think at the last PCA event, Ken monohans street legal 3.6 set 2nd top time of the day at this track, and I believe a twin turbo was TTOD)

It would be REALLY cool to have 3 big monsters out there at the same time.

OK #'s... so far I only have strong committments and maybes. So these numbers are not set in stone and are not paid or anything. I have 20 strong committments so far. I also got a reply from the chapter president that they liked the idea of a 914 specific run group and will take it to the board!

biggrin.gif

brant
majkos
specific 914 run! clap.gif
That's what we want! aktion035.gif
Ok,so let's talk $$
How much are we looking at?
Just the basic track fee and other stuff confused24.gif
I need to know,so I can start saving ,before I blow it on other stuffs smoke.gif
brant
Kevin,

I talked to the president of AMR today.
we are getting the green light!

but we can't absolutely nail down the money issue, because tracks have raised their rates this year.

figure 125 or maybe 150 to be absolutely safe.
also the new helmets are out and thus the rule has "advanced forward" and only 2000 and newer helmets are now legal. So we are going to run short on helmets and are scrounging to borrow more.

Kevin..... get on the stick. Get green car ready. Your going whether you like it or not!!!!!!!

TROJANMAN
The First Official GET YOUR CAR READY DAY is FEBRUARY 4th at my house!

Come one, Come All!

3 Car garage bay will be available to work on 3 914's at the same time (there is about 4 feet of room in front of our expedition, so it's pretty roomy. might be able to squeeze a fourth car in horizontally if it's snowing unsure.gif )

I have a nice jack, but you have to bring your own jack stands............

will post this on the colorado site too............
jhadler
I'd love to bring my car over, but right now the engine hasn't gotten back into the chassis!!!

Gettin' closer though! I've got some extra time this weekend to work on the car, so I'll be keeping busy in the garage...

-Josh2
brant
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jan 13 2006, 09:41 AM)
I'd love to bring my car over, but right now the engine hasn't gotten back into the chassis!!!

Gettin' closer though! I've got some extra time this weekend to work on the car, so I'll be keeping busy in the garage...

-Josh2

you had better Josh!

I'm counting you in the attendee's list

brant
TROJANMAN
eric shea, this icon_bump.gif is for you
mudfoot76
How many runs does one get for that $125-150? The DEs I've run here you get six sessions over the course of two days...

idea.gif $150 for a whole weekend? And an excuse to take the 914 on a nice long road trip to the mountains....
TROJANMAN
brant,
could you please post your updated info? wink.gif
(including eric shea's RSVP)
thanks
jhadler
Yes please!

Oh, and I guess I need to get some clarification on safety gear allowances etc.

Can I use a harness mounted to a harness bar without a rollbar? I have OE belts, but would prefer to use the harness.

Thanks!

-Josh2
brant
Josh...

so PCA has this weird rule about seatbelts.
its a national rule that says when you have a passenger in the car they are entitled to the same level of safety gear as a driver...

so IF you have an instructor in the car with you.
you would both have to use the stock belts (unless you put race belts on both sides)

but while you are driving solo, you will be able to use your fancy belts.

in fact they may just look the other way and let you use your fancy belts all the time. The rule was to incourage extra safety gear be installed, not to discourage its use.

Generally for PCA DE you need:

long sleeve cotton shirt, jeans, tennis shoes.
A helmet
working seatbelts.
a fire-extinguisher bottle (for D.O.T. tired cars)

the cage is not required
the driving suit, gloves, belaclava, race seatbelts, hans, etc are not required.....

your golden!
now get that motor in there!

brant
brant
914’s at LaJunta Details:

· The AMR club that is sanctioning the event has gone above and beyond to accommodate us 914 folk! There is going to be a 914 specific run group (mostly novice level drivers) if we have enough turnouts to fill it. Obviously some of the really experienced drivers (and 2 driver cars) will be bumped out of this group, but lets get 25 914’s into it and have our own run group!

· 914 Folk are going to need to register EARLY to accommodate the extra planning and get us into our own run group! So deadline for us to register is going to be 4/10/06. Everyone is going to need to complete the registration form, mail it with a check to:

AMR-PCA Registrar
P.O. Box 2231
Colorado Springs, CO 80901

· Pretech is necessary, especially if this is your first PCA event. The scheduled date is 5/10 for pretech, and the locations are not yet announced but should include Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Ft. Collins. Put the 5/10/06 date into your calendar and plan on taking your car to a pretech meeting that evening.

· Helmets. It looks like AMR-PCA is going to allow the 1995 Snell certification to continue to be used until June 2006. This is great news if the cost of a new helmet was going to keep you from attending! Getting a new 2005 rated helmet is still a good idea, but don’t let it keep you from coming now. If you have no helmet, I can come up with a couple of loaners and help coordinate any sharing.

· Cost: The event is going to cost $130 for both days! If you are not a PCA member you will need to add $10 to this registration cost, so $140 for non-members. This Registration fee will include an event T-shirt! 2 driver cars get to save even more money, and the cost is $130/$140 for the first driver and only $100/$110 for the second driver! (We have tons of fun 914 people who may not have a car ready to attend, so feel free to be generous and offer to share you car with a friend if you feel so inclined!) Finally, there is a dinner planned in LaJunta after the event. This is an additional $12 per person and needs to be paid with registration. (The event fee is refundable if you have to back out and can give a 72 hours notice to the registrar)

· Lodging: LaJunta has some affordable lodging. Also, there will be some sleeping bag space available at Dad’s house. Finally, I’m willing to come up with lodging details in Lamar for interested parties also.

LaJunta Hotels:
Super 8 (719) 384-4408
Holiday Inn (719) 384-2900
Travel Inn (719) 384-2604
Stagecoach Inn (719) 384-6476

I’ll get future updates and info available including maps, directions, a caravan schedule, list of items to bring, and event format. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you think of.
jhadler
Good to know.

Yes, I will have equal seating and restraints for both seats...

okay, I don't have a second set of arm restraints...

-Josh2
brant
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Mar 13 2006, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 13 2006, 01:38 PM)
(We have tons of fun 914 people who may not have a car ready to attend, so feel free to be generous and offer to share you car with a friend if you feel so inclined!)

my car may not be ready to attend. can i drive your race car brant? biggrin.gif

sure...
but only the plastic model one I have

biggrin.gif
byndbad914
hmmm... glad this got bumped as I didn't see it before. I guess I will play it by ear, but if a "cheap fare" is available the Tuesday before and my weekend is open, that is just the right excuse to fly out to Denver and visit my friend and head out to check out some racing.

Are "ride-alongs" allowed (assuming I bring my helmet and have the proper attire)? I think this may have been covered in the posts already, but I am brain-farting right now...
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 13 2006, 05:37 PM)
hmmm... glad this got bumped as I didn't see it before.  I guess I will play it by ear, but if a "cheap fare" is available the Tuesday before and my weekend is open, that is just the right excuse to fly out to Denver and visit my friend and head out to check out some racing.

Are "ride-alongs" allowed (assuming I bring my helmet and have the proper attire)?  I think this may have been covered in the posts already, but I am brain-farting right now...

this beats the hell out of any weekend fare special and is available NOW

Book It

The So Cal Contingent can Invade Colorado at this price idea.gif

Average Fare Per Person - 168.00 USD

AMERICAN AIRLINES
678 LAX
Los Angeles 05/19/2006 03:48 PM DEN
Denver 05/19/2006 07:04 PM M83 Economy
View Seats 849 N/A

AMERICAN AIRLINES
1469 DEN
Denver 05/21/2006 09:22 AM LAX
Los Angeles 05/21/2006 10:45 AM M80 Economy
View Seats 849 N/A
alpha434
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Mar 13 2006, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 13 2006, 05:37 PM)
hmmm... glad this got bumped as I didn't see it before.  I guess I will play it by ear, but if a "cheap fare" is available the Tuesday before and my weekend is open, that is just the right excuse to fly out to Denver and visit my friend and head out to check out some racing.

Are "ride-alongs" allowed (assuming I bring my helmet and have the proper attire)?  I think this may have been covered in the posts already, but I am brain-farting right now...

this beats the hell out of any weekend fare special and is available NOW

Book It

The So Cal Contingent can Invade Colorado at this price idea.gif

Average Fare Per Person - 168.00 USD

AMERICAN AIRLINES
678 LAX
Los Angeles 05/19/2006 03:48 PM DEN
Denver 05/19/2006 07:04 PM M83 Economy
View Seats 849 N/A

AMERICAN AIRLINES
1469 DEN
Denver 05/21/2006 09:22 AM LAX
Los Angeles 05/21/2006 10:45 AM M80 Economy
View Seats 849 N/A

So how would the So Cal contingent get their CARS here?!?! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.