Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is the VIN plate ona 76 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carreraguy
Hi Jeff:
Just noticed this thread. Per my email car is still here - will relist it in the spring. Give me a call - you're welcome to come over any time. However, I don't recall ever seeing on my car a "VIN plate" as pictured previously.
Bleyseng
What day was the last car made? ohmy.gif
Gustl
don't know the exact date, but it has to be in 12/75 - AFAIK

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
My last entry, 4762904081 has chassis #5049021. This car was just 19 from the last one (we believe), and the chassis # puts it in mid December. DOT decal says 12/75.
Bleyseng
Well, its sounds like they built the last cars all on the same day then, Dec 18th, 1975

This also sounds like the story I have heard, that they built the final run will the last of the stashed pre-built bodies, assembling finished cars until they ran out of bodies. Vin Numbers 4059-4100, mine being the fourth car assembled that day. The other cars I have pics of are 4072 and 4081.
davep
Careful now, the date the bodies were built and the date the cars were completed can be two different things. I'd guess that at a minimum there would be a few days lag to finish the assembly of the last body after it was painted.
Jim C
Resurrecting an old thread. What was the final decision on whether 1976 models had an ID plate on the front trunk bulkhead? Mine has the holes for the rivets for one, but no evidence that a plate was ever mounted.
davep
Jim, there are reports of 1976 MY cars with the manufacturer tag, but probably very low VIN. Then there may be those with the rivet holes and no tags, and finally no rivet holes.
There is also a thread with several variations of the front panel showing several changes in the last months of production. What would be really useful are photos of the various badges and VIN stamp, and also a photo of the rear trunk floor where the Karmann # was previously stamped to show it is not there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.