Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is the VIN plate ona 76 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JeffBowlsby
This plate...
JeffBowlsby
Here it is on a 70-74 914...
Aaron Cox
front bulkhead IIRC...by the fuel pump i thought
JeffBowlsby
And on a 75 914
JeffBowlsby
And here is the 76 bulkhead...
JeffBowlsby
Can you post a photo of it in its location?
boxstr
The 76 914s do not have any "TYP 47" numbers on the car anywhere. VW did not have anything to do with the last year production run of the 914. This may be why you do not find the VIN plate on the 76 as you do on the70-75 914.
CCLINVIN#
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 6 2006, 11:05 PM)
Can you post a photo of it in its location?

was just guessing....apparently its on the left bulkhead like your pic showed.....

could that be a replacement carpet piece and its underneath?
JeffBowlsby
As I recall Porsche bought-out VWs share of the 914 venture in January 1974. The Typ 47 designation was a VW designation and would have applied to the 1975 model year cars because they were already in mid-production at that time.

The Porsche buy-out would also explain the non-Typ 47 designation for the 1976 models, because they were fully under Porsche control by then. Is that why the 76 model cars do not have the Typ 47 designation? What about the VINs...I wonder why they did not also follow Porsche VIN-ology...for the 76 cars?
sixnotfour
The only tag in my 76
Gustl
I just posted this question at the german forum I'm in
I know that the '76 model wasn't available in Europe, but there are lots of re-imported cars

we'll see if there is an answer ...

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
Jeff H's photo shows the chassis tag used on the late production cars. With the introduction of these tags there were other changes: (1) the format of the number changed from xxy95zz to xxy90zz, when daily production exceeded 99 cars the 5 or 0 would be incremented to 6 and 1 respectively. (2) the chassis number that was previously stamped into the Karmann badge on the drivers door hinge post was omitted. (3) the chassis number stamped into the rear trunk floor was omitted.

From my research it appears that the change occurred between the 36th and 40th week of 1974. VIN's from about 4752902800 got the new chassis #, but the old chassis # could still be found past 4752903000. This was Sept / Oct timeframe, although I have no specific Sept data at this time. Any further info on cars from this period to help nail down the transition would be appreciated.
JeffBowlsby
Here is the yellow 75 car with the dealer protective side strips we see on ebay once inawhile...VIN 4752903075

JeffBowlsby
its front trunk, notice the VIN plate on the bulkhead
JeffBowlsby
And the rear door jamb sticker 10/74. Sorry I dont have the front chassis plate or more info.
JeffBowlsby
And this blue 76 VIN 4762901268.

JeffBowlsby
10/75
JeffBowlsby
Chassis plate has numbers...but I dont know what they are...Dave this is a year after you suggested it should not have a chassis number on the chassis plate?
JeffBowlsby
No VIN plate in front trunk...
JeffBowlsby
And our own Tom Trudells 76 car that is/was FS recently 4762901553.

JeffBowlsby
10/75
JeffBowlsby
Chassis No. 4140050?
JeffBowlsby
No VIN plate in front trunk...
Gustl
I just got answer from a german friend who drives a yellow '76 car. He wrote that this car has no such VIN plate when he imported it from the states. Then he went to his local Porsche dealer, told them the VIN and got a new VIN plate which he mounted at the passenger's side headlight box (as factory default up to 1974).
I'm sure these guys didn't know that a '76 model shouldn't have one laugh.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 7 2006, 06:05 AM)
Chassis No. 4140050?

Whoa, that is a good one Jeff. What number is on the small tag in the trunk, or does it even have one?
jbegood2000
Just went through the VIN thing big time....according to Dr. 914 on page 114 of Tech Tips the tag in question for a 75-76 is on the bulkhead like the yellow car in your pic. The same tag is on the right headlight bucket for 70-74

Larry
davep
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 7 2006, 05:55 AM)
Chassis plate has numbers...but I dont know what they are...Dave this is a year after you suggested it should not have a chassis number on the chassis plate?

Pehaps I misspoke, Jeff. I was going from memory, and it is getting increasingly unreliable. What I really need is to get some detailed info on several cars to define things properly. There are three locations for chassis #'s: stamped into the Karmann badge along with the paint code, a riveted tag in the front trunk on the '75 and '76 models, and stamped into the rear trunk floor. Perhaps the Karmann badge always carries the chassis # for the /4 model, but the rear trunk floor was not done when the tag in the front trunk was added. Any assistance would be very useful.
JeffBowlsby
Dunno Dave. I am trying to find Tom Trudells email or 914club ID. I can go see his car if he still owns it. Anyone know how to contact Tom? I think its Tom_Turtle here...but that does not come up using Search...
davep
QUOTE (jbegood2000 @ Jan 7 2006, 07:48 AM)
....according to Dr. 914

The good doctor is no more reliable than most others here. I am working from a limited set of data, and I have little access to more cars to get info from. I really depend on the members here to provide info on cars they have access to.
davep
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 7 2006, 07:50 AM)
I am trying to find Tom Trudells email or 914club ID. I can go see his car if he still owns it. Anyone know how to contact Tom? I think its Tom_Turtle here.

That would be: carreraguy
JeffBowlsby
Email sent to Tom. Hopefully I can find out.
Bleyseng
What front trunk plate? We don't need no stinkin front trunk plate!

doortag
Bleyseng
Karmann tag
boxstr
There are three 76 914s at CAMP 914. I will check the vin loactions and take pics and get back later today.
CCLINVINTAG
Allan
I've had both a '75 runner and a '76 roller. The vin tags on both where in the same places. Drivers side window pillar and the vertical bulkhead in front of the fuel tank on the passenger side.
JeffBowlsby
Counselor Craig...

Can you take a few more photos of the 76 car labels too and email them to me pleeeeeeeez...If I could get one good image of each of these I would be a happy camper...I am making a webpage with all the plates, labels and markings and will credit CAMP 914 for any and all submitted. For that matter if you have any other 914/4 cars with unique plates/labels/markings...I am interested...

Gracias

bowlsby@sbcglobal.net

*The drivers door jamb paper label with the paint code
*The VIN plate in the front trunk like we hav ebeen talking about
*The tire size/pressure label on the expansion tank
*An A/C label on the expansion tank
*The emission maintenance label at windshield lower right
*The emission data label at windshield lower left
*RON sticker by front trunk VIN
*3 white painted numbers on one or both sides of front engine tin
*The emission data label on left engine bay wall
*Dealer prep labels behind the latches on the front and rear trunk lids and any other locations
*Any other unique labels, plates or data you find
boomer
on my 76 its on the drivers apillar.
u can see it when u look thru the windshild
boxstr
Jeff I will take as many as I can today and email you this evening.
CCLINHAVEVINWILLTRAVEL
JeffBowlsby
pray.gif CAMP914 biggrin.gif
davep
QUOTE (boomer @ Jan 7 2006, 09:28 AM)
on my 76 its on the drivers apillar.
u can see it when u look thru the windshild

All North American cars had them, but we are talking about the other badges as were shown in the front trunk.
Bleyseng
tag- I would again like to understand this coding number?
Bleyseng
vin
Bleyseng
ljdlsjf
Allan
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 7 2006, 01:41 PM)
tag- I would again like to understand this coding number?

I know it's the same number that is on the paint code plate in the front of the drivers door jamb.

I thought it was a chassis number or such...
Bleyseng
and the 5049004 relates to what? the chassis number? the car produced on the plant that year?
Allan
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 7 2006, 02:04 PM)
and the 5049004 relates to what? the chassis number? the car produced on the plant that year?

The way it was explained to me was that it was just a number the factory used to track the chassis assembly through the production process.
JeffBowlsby
More than that:

Chassis Plate data: Chassis Production Number and Paint Code: The chassis production number is found in two places, on the chassis plate attached to the front drivers door jamb and also stamped into the right rear trunk floor. The chassis production number is actually a code telling us the consecutive number of the particular chassis, and the date production was initiated on that particular chassis. The chassis production number decodement is:

WW-D-9-5XX Where:

WW = the week of a given calendar year

D = the day of the week of the calendar year (Monday =1)

9 = the code for the Karmann Factory at Osnabrueck where all 914 chassis were fabricated I have no idea about Tom Trudells 1976 car where his number is 0.

5XX = the consecutive chassis number, beginning with number 500 each day for 1974 Porsche 914 cars, begins with 000 for 1975-76 cars.

Bleyseng
ok, mine was the fourth car built on the 50th week and the on Thursday? -Dec 18th,1975-
JeffBowlsby
happy11.gif laugh.gif
davep
Yes, Jeff has the decoding correct. Although, I have not determined if the first partial week of the year was week one or not.

Brotherbob has contributed a chassis number indicating up to 164 bodies produced in one day back in 1971. Can anyone beat that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.