Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why no turbo 914's out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rambo
Jake:

You got some damn beautiful machines, I should have worked on cars instead of read comic books and go to Nam.

Rambo
nola914
Here is the set of pics of the old 2.0 turbo engine that I'm trying to put back together. It was built in the early 80's according to the specs in the 1978 mag article that Falcon mentioned earlier in this post. Thinking about it, this may be the oldest 914 turbo still around. Guess I'll have to get up off of it and get it finished...someday. Pic1
nola914
Pic 2.
nola914
pic 3
Aaron Cox
very cool!
nola914
Pic 4.

Few notes. The "C" clamp next to the turbo is holding the turbo mount plate in place against the trans mount. The trans mount bolt holds in it place in the teener. The blue fitting below the turbo is for the oil return line (Not in place) that dips below the axle and routes to the valve cover gasket. The black line on top of the turbo pipe going back to the intake is the oil supply. It's a "sleeved" copper tubing.

Maltese Falcon
Nola914, that's one of the msds T4 kits...however got some repairs/ hacks to it, proll'y from some of the PO's and that wicked granite injection sad.gif
The Blow off valve has been changed out from our Impco brand to a BAE brand. Both function the same but look different.
BAE (Bob McClure) unfortunately lost his life in an aircraft mishap--the direction of the company sank and evaporated.
We built T4 kits from 1976 thru 1986, and currently not in production. PM me and I'll provide you with the 5th inj. circuit for enrichment.
There is one perfect 1976 turbo 2.0 running in L.A. with our system, it belongs to a guy in the Black Porsche Owners Club/ L.A. We originally built this for his Dad 30 years ago.
Marty
nola914
Falcon: The biggest change I know of was the air intake, where the PO eliminated the rubber radiator pipe and alum "cake pan" air filter and substituted the welded pipe (which is supposed to have a cone filter on the end). He gave me the old parts, but I couldn't figure out is how the blowoff was mounted. There isn't a mount plate or strut that seems to belong to it. Was it just held up by the radiator hose?

I'll PM you with a few other questions about the cold start valve setup and the rising rate fuel valve. Thanks. Also glad to know that there is other of the T4's still out there.
porsha916
I have bits and pieces of a turbo conversion, It looks to me like they used a center mounted two barrel carb, and mounted the turbo just in front of the muffler on one side, the muffler pipes before and after the turbo are clamped together with hose clamps! You would have to fill the float with foam and pressurize the float chamber vent, I wouldn't not expect the carb to handle a lot of boost but it would be simple!If anyone wants the parts, let me know, I will sell them cheap!!! I will post a picture in parts for sale and a price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.