Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Conversion Completed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
nick mironov
The hood vent experiment worked, but the heat flowed back into the cabin through the front ventilation inlet. I gave up on it and vented the interior fender wells - using a hole saw:
nick mironov
Added an oil cooler to the engine. I mounted it horizontally on the engine support crossbar and added a scoop to direct the air flow up through it and out the top engine compartment grille:
nick mironov
I changed the Renegade provided rubber hoses for steel pipes, custom bent to the contour of the bottom of the car, and welded hose nozzles on the ends. The return pipe and hoses are 1-1/4" and the supply pipe and hoses are 1" - Renegade recommended sizes:
nick mironov
After lots of body work, and a spray-can prime to stop rust, its off to the painter:
nick mironov
Back from the painter and finally re-assembled:
Paint color is Chrysler PT Cruiser 2005 Electric Blue Pearlcoat

Click here to see interior upgrade using the Auto's International seat and backpad kits...
jimkelly
shit - beautiful paint : )

I took my car today for it's first real tets drive - 202 miles - all seems good.

I can not hear radiator fans too good - would like a light on dash for them.

I wonder if your intake is adequate - not sure if i have seen anyone stick with the 1975/76 front bumper for a v8 conversion ??

Anyway - good luck.

I need to put in a better fuel pump and my hi torque starter when i get a chance.

fwiw - 5th gear at about 28/2900 is 65 mph for me - and i like it - my trans is stock.

under normal driving - i cruse at 3000 rpm - shift at 3500.

2nd gear is good for 0 - 40 but i shift into third before that generally : )

jim
DSM
I'd imagine that short stroke 283 twist up pretty quick...huh?
wbergtho
Looks like another nicely done conversion. Good show mate!
Crazyhippy
The front bumper inlet is perfectly fine.

I really like the hole saw radiator exhaust... Very creative and the best of all worlds.

Great color too... I really like your car.

BJH
Dr Evil
Wow, man. Just WOW. Very nice! thumb3d.gif
Gint
Found it....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

That looks great Nick. More pics!
nick mironov
There will be more pictures in a few weeks. I will also post pictures of the interior upgrade - seats and packpad (using Autos International kits). I am taking the car to Thunderhill for a NASA event on June 2-3. Hope it doesn't break...

Already been to one PCA AX - the car is a handlful. Needs front sway bar, lowering, etc...

Nick
Justinp71
Looks nice... Maybe a 911 front suspension clip would help you out... biggrin.gif

Does anyone know the weight of a 914-v8, with the radiator and all that jazz???
Boxer_Twins
QUOTE(nick mironov @ Jan 15 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Installed. Left side after exhaut installation. Note the rubber bellows at the shifter linkage cover - that is a perfect-fit bellows I picked up at Home Depot for a flexible sink drain:

I went to Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find this bellows. Does anybody have any specific product info on this item like an SKU or stock number or alternate source?Click to view attachment
michaelt55
QUOTE(Boxer_Twins @ Jul 20 2008, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(nick mironov @ Jan 15 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Installed. Left side after exhaut installation. Note the rubber bellows at the shifter linkage cover - that is a perfect-fit bellows I picked up at Home Depot for a flexible sink drain:

I went to Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find this bellows. Does anybody have any specific product info on this item like an SKU or stock number or alternate source?Click to view attachment

Guess I will look tomorrow...
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif Nice! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. Well done conversion.
Wanna9146
I know it's too late, but my Pantera has two (relatively small) hood vents that were added after the radiator was upgraded. Original Panteras did not even have these (don't ask me where the hot air went confused24.gif ). The front trunk area is sealed off from the rest of the car with a thick rubber seal (kinda like our rear trunks). You can purchase these grill kits from some of the Pantera aftermarket companies (they ain't cheap, though):

IPB Image

Another view (from another car):

IPB Image
jt914-6
What he was talking about with the heat getting into the passnger cabin was the hot air coming out of the louvers flowing toward the windshield and entering the fresh air vent in the middle of the windshield.
Click to view attachment
Wanna9146
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 1 2008, 10:05 AM) *

What he was talking about with the heat getting into the passnger cabin was the hot air coming out of the louvers flowing toward the windshield and entering the fresh air vent in the middle of the windshield.
Click to view attachment

That intake should close when the A/C is running, right? biggrin.gif

The heat inside the Pantera cabin was un-bearable, even with the A/C full blast.
jt914-6
As far as I know, fresh air always comes in from there. You can slide the top/air control knob all the way left and close it as much possible. When you slide the red bottom knob to the right air from the heat exchangers is let in. I would say that all 914's with AC was dealer installed and hung under the dash. As said, when using the AC you should have the top knob to the left and the red know to the left too to keep out as much hot air as possible.
3d914
IIRC you also have to close the two side vents, as I remember that mine would let warm outside air in even with the controls set for closed venting.
I don't remember ever using the outside air venting. If I wanted outside air I took the top off. For warm/hot air of course one needs the venting from the heat exchangers. I think in my SHO project I'll delete this front outside vent by blocking it off.

Nice project and very well done conversion. beerchug.gif
nick mironov
See dyno tests added to page 1.

Nick
computers4kids
QUOTE(nick mironov @ Aug 28 2008, 04:34 PM) *

See dyno tests added to page 1.

Nick

Thanks for posting the dyno shots...pretty interesting. It's nice to see what you feel under the pedal in black and white. I am very interested how to go about getting a car on a dyno. Sorry, newbie in this area. As soon as my motor gets broken in I would like to dyno mine as well. First I have to figure out how to find one close to me. Couple quick questions...what does something like this normally cost? How does one know where do you stop for a max rpm...is it a judgement call what you think is a safe max rpm from experience?

Nice ride!
Mark
PS Thanks for the BMW calipers...combined with the performance pads you recommended work great!!
So.Cal.914
I googled So Cal Dyno testing...http://www.socaldiablo.com/Intro.html

You will know your redline when you have it dyno'd.
6freak
QUOTE(nick mironov @ May 4 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Back from the painter and finally re-assembled:
Paint color is Chrysler PT Cruiser 2005 Electric Blue Pearlcoat

Click here to see interior upgrade using the Auto's International seat and backpad kits...

NICE COLOR ..NICE WORK
fiacra
Looks like this car is now up for sale on SF Craigslist...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-...7730947828.html
burton73
QUOTE(fiacra @ Mar 28 2024, 04:16 PM) *

Looks like this car is now up for sale on SF Craigslist...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-...7730947828.html

This should get moved to the Cars For sale our brothers may want to buy it for $24,000

very old postings

Best Bob B
Root_Werks
Nice to see all these years later the 914 is still on the road being enjoyed.
Steve
Nice car!! Good price if their is no body rot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.