Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy: Fiberglass Bumper tops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
KaptKaos
This is the latest count. Please check to make sure you are on the list.

KaptKaos (that's me)
Grasshopper
Lagunero
Goodwood73
Demick
Bartlett914 x 2
Bmunday
JimKelly
tat2dphreak
Rmital
Paul Illick
Trevorg7
Mrdezyne
Stl914
Riverman
Ajracer
Aaron Cox
fiid
Spunone
Gklinger
ChrisNPDrider
Lapuwali
WarrenPorsche
Atsealevel914
Buzzard1
SGB
Korijo
Toast - 1/2 (front)
srcapmetal
porsche914blue
736conver
lvSteveH
theol00
goose2
johnman
type11969
maf914
maddeye
gwn7
eddyt
rotary'14 x2
Scotty B

Total is now 44 1/2 ( wub.gif Toast). I will be confirm a new price based on that volume shortly.

Thanks to all for participating.

- Joe
Aaron Cox
when is the next price break? 50?
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 7 2006, 09:43 AM)
when is the next price break? 50?

Dunno confused24.gif

I sent an email asking if there are additional price breaks and to see if he'll do a few regional shipments.

More info to follow shortly.
blitZ
I have to remove my request for a set, I scored nicely on some real pads. cool.gif
tat2dphreak
has morphenspectra (James) been contacted, I know he was going to be making sets at one time... confused24.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Feb 7 2006, 10:10 AM)
has morphenspectra (James) been contacted, I know he was going to be making sets at one time... confused24.gif

Not by me. Do you have his contact info? I would have assumed he read the posts for this and would have replied. I'd sure like to keep it in the family, so to speak.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Feb 7 2006, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Feb 7 2006, 10:10 AM)
has morphenspectra (James) been contacted, I know he was going to be making sets at one time...  :confused:

Not by me. Do you have his contact info? I would have assumed he read the posts for this and would have replied. I'd sure like to keep it in the family, so to speak.

he's in the parts and resources section...
WRX914
Kaptn,

I do not need the top rubbers, I already paid major $$$$ for the new ones I already have.

thanks though!

smilie_pokal.gif
Toast
Ok, I will probably hold off on my order until I hear from the insurance co. on wtf they are going to do.

I may have one pending.

Thanks though. I'll let you know if I still need one.

Toast
scotty b
wink.gif For the 2nd time I have been ommited from the list. Am I not loved ?? Hell I even sent you a PM the other day to make sure I got on the next list, but alas I am scorned yet again sad.gif
KaptKaos
My bad Scotty, I will add you right now.
scotty b
wub.gif AAAawwwwww I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now wub.gif Thanks drunk.gif
merrill
I will fill in for blitz stepping out.
db9146
I have purchased a set of the FG tops and am awaiting their arrival. I have been emailing Joe so this is one of the potential vendors. As soon as I receive them, I'll post pictures and give some feedback to the group so that we can all know what to expect from this vendor.

Let you all know soon.

Dee
riverman
popcorn[1].gif
greg.treadway
These FG bumper tops will be offered on the GT Performance website shortly.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Feb 8 2006, 05:00 PM)

who's making them?
how much?
when?
what color(s)?

cmon Greg, don't tease us you slut! biggrin.gif

KaptKaos
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Feb 8 2006, 02:00 PM)

How shortly? How muchly? If you have followed this thread, I think you have seen the price point that people feel is right for these. I hope yours are in that area.

Keep us posted.
KaptKaos
On another note, I spoke with James (Morphenspectra) today. He is in So Cal picking up a roller. I am going to meet up with him, chat a bit about these tops and pickup a spoiler for Toast. I am hoping to get an idea from James when he thinks he will have these available.

More to follow!
Chris Pincetich
smilie_pokal.gif popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
shadygrady
Is it to late to ask for a set of these for $175 including shipping?

thanks
greg.treadway
Slut that I am I listed them on the site. I can't touch $175 a pair though. That is a great price.
KaptKaos
Greg,

I think you will find that people are willing to pay about $200 for a set. At the price you have, people will live with their beat up rubber tops. If someone really wants a perfect 914, they can spend a little more money and get new rubber tops.

I think you, and others, are comparing the costs of the fiberglass to the rubber and trying to make the price attractive. Most people do not need to get new tops, but would like to have their cars look better. In most cases, its a want, not a need. So they will suffer a bit with their ugly bumper tops until a good deal comes along.

You are looking at a list of over 40 people that have expressed their interest in buying a set of bumper tops. The current price point is $200/set. You want to make a deal or just watch? The ball is in your court.

- Joe
greg.treadway
Good response. Let me check with my supplier on this and see what kind of better price we can come up with. Believe me, I want to keep the prices as low as I can.
Aaron Cox
so who is making these???

the ebay guy from MI right?

if its a tried and true product, which is already being sold.... and the deal is already set...
why are we talking to others who havent even made these yet? seems like we're rushing an unfinished product from them.....
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 9 2006, 08:54 AM)
so who is making these???

the ebay guy from MI right?

if its a tried and true product, which is already being sold.... and the deal is already set...
why are we talking to others who havent even made these yet? seems like we're rushing an unfinished product from them.....

Aaron,

As far as I am concerned, there is no deal with anyone yet. Only negotiations. I do not know who is supplying Greg. Certainly an example of the quality of the product will be required.

That said, this is still an open negotiation. I also have a few others that are PMing me with information that I am not at liberty to discuss yet.

BTW: Nice pic of my car on your website Greg. Mine is the orange one in the front of that line-up. That was at WCC05 before the poker run.

- Joe
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Feb 9 2006, 11:48 AM)
Greg,

I think you will find that people are willing to pay about $200 for a set. At the price you have, people will live with their beat up rubber tops. If someone really wants a perfect 914, they can spend a little more money and get new rubber tops.

I think you, and others, are comparing the costs of the fiberglass to the rubber and trying to make the price attractive. Most people do not need to get new tops, but would like to have their cars look better. In most cases, its a want, not a need. So they will suffer a bit with their ugly bumper tops until a good deal comes along.

You are looking at a list of over 40 people that have expressed their interest in buying a set of bumper tops. The current price point is $200/set. You want to make a deal or just watch? The ball is in your court.

- Joe

agree.gif

at that close to $400, the rubber starts to look better...
LvSteveH
Considering that the rubber tops have been on many cars for 30+ years, I don't think going to fiberglass is only about lasting longer. After all, the OEM version can take a pretty good smack and bounce back. New OEM tops can still be found for about $400 for both front and back, I paid about $375 for my last set. On a car that is taken care of and not left to the elements, there is no reason new stock bumper tops can't outlast the car. Leave one of these fiberglass tops on a car parked outside for a couple decades and they will look worse for wear just like the stock ones.

That being said, I'm on the list for a set at $200, a little lighter, and a little cheaper. At $400, I'm going with the new stockers, no doubt about it.
greg.treadway
After some consideration and negotiation...I am able to offer the set at $250 for the set. As you can see that is down over $100 from my previous price. I think the group buy is still an awesome deal this just gives an alternative. I hope this helps.
db9146
Okay I promised a little feedback on some FG bumper tops. I looked at a set manufactured by the guy on Ebay. The exterior finish of the tops was very good. IMO they had the right texture - not real smooth like most gel coat. With the right color (glossiness) black, I can easily see them fooling folks until they start tapping them. They are thin at a little less than a 1/16th of an inch but he says he can make them thicker if desired (with a large enough order). There are FG blocks that are glued on the back side that have tapped holes for the mounting hardware which comes with the tops. The rear bumper has the correct reliefs for the tag lights with the mounting screws. And they are light at about 4 lbs. for the front and 3.5 lbs. for the rear.

The curvature of the front bumper looks pretty good but I did not have a chance to bolt one on to see how well it fit so keep that in mind. They are FG and while most FG needs some work to fit right, these LOOKED pretty good as they come.

Quite honestly, I was looking for the solid FG replacements like the rubber ones, not just thin shells which is what these are. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

He will offer a group buy shipped in total to one or two locations for the $200 per set.

Here are some photos.
db9146
another
db9146
'nother
db9146
last one
gregrobbins
Probably to late to get in on the buy, but if anyone drops out, I will take a set.
mrdezyne
So with a group buy to shiped to one or two locations, will this be a west coast and east coast shipment? I'm kinda screwed being right in the middle in OK. I would have to count on someone to ship me my set. How is this going to work? I'm still in for $200 a set.....
tesserra
How did I miss this ?
I want a set.
I will review the thread later to see if I can still get in on the deal.

George
Aaron Cox
can the manufacturer lay them up thicker?
KaptKaos
This is the input I have been waiting for. Thanks Dee.

Ok folks, please make sure you review the pictures and ask questions now.

Thanks!

- Joe
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Feb 18 2006, 11:51 PM)
This is the input I have been waiting for. Thanks Dee.

Thanks!

- Joe

can he make them thicker....
lotus_65
QUOTE (tesserra @ Feb 18 2006, 09:29 PM)
How did I miss this ?
I want a set.
I will review the thread later to see if I can still get in on the deal.

George

i missed it because the subtitle said "to guage interest only"

i didn't even look until today just guessing it had gone beyond that.
confused24.gif
maybe get a new thread going with the actual deal in black and white when negotiations with the manufacturer are complete.
scotty b
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 18 2006, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Feb 18 2006, 11:51 PM)
This is the input I have been waiting for.  Thanks Dee.

Thanks!

- Joe

can he make them thicker....

agree.gif
db9146
Yes, he said that he can make them thicker (I believe I included that tidbit in my original post). We would have to specify how thick. He said that at the present thickness, there is some flexibility in them so they are less likely to crack (his explanation). While it may be that 1/16th is a bit thin, maybe specifying a thinkness of 1/8 would make them durable enough but still provide some flexibility.

Someone with more FG experience needs to weigh in here on the thickness.
Chris Pincetich
Well, if they don't fit exactly perfect, the thicker and less flexible piece might not fit at all. Anybody that's ever wrestled with installing fiberglass on their 914 knows what I mean. Small imperfections exist in most cars (well, mine anyway) ESPECIALLY in the bumpers. The smallest hit on my front corner bumber from the PO resulted in needing offset holes drilled in the LE front spoiler.

Anyway, I would think that ordering so many sets without having a real test fit is not wise. I agree a durable, thicker stock is the way to go, but we might need a new mounting strategy...maybe a floating nut trapped in a box like behind the foglight bracket? wink.gif

Just my 0.02
scotty b
QUOTE (db9146 @ Feb 20 2006, 06:47 PM)
Yes, he said that he can make them thicker (I believe I included that tidbit in my original post). We would have to specify how thick. He said that at the present thickness, there is some flexibility in them so they are less likely to crack (his explanation). While it may be that 1/16th is a bit thin, maybe specifying a thinkness of 1/8 would make them durable enough but still provide some flexibility.

Someone with more FG experience needs to weigh in here on the thickness.

Flexing really isn't an issue. Tops will be mounted on the steel bumper which doesn't flex and if you were to hit another car you'll probably go over the top and f-up the hood which will give you something bigger to worry about. Me personally would like to see a foam core shaped like the top, and coverd in 1/8" fiberglass. I had considerd doing it this way with a stainless steel strip in the middle with studs welded on in the stock location.?My concern with this design is the bottom being open with only the lip to sit on, could cause some movement and undesirable angling of the top when tightend down. My .02c confused24.gif
mrdezyne
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 22 2006, 04:46 PM)
Me personally would like to see a foam core shaped like the top, and coverd in 1/8" fiberglass. I had considerd doing it this way with a stainless steel strip in the middle with studs welded on in the stock location.?My concern with this design is the bottom being open with only the lip to sit on, could cause some movement and undesirable angling of the top when tightend down. My .02c confused24.gif

Perhaps spray expanding foam behind these hollow cores and trim off the excess before you mount them.... confused24.gif I did this with a CF hood between the upper and lower layers and it worked great. Increased stiffness and added sound deadening.....
KaptKaos
UPDATE:

We have identified another potential supplier. It will be a little while before I see product, but only a few weeks. The potential is for a good cost savings, so I am inclinded to wait to see if this plays out.

Let me know how you feel about this.

Thanks,
Joe
736conver
Whats the latest update on this.
lagunero
QUOTE (736conver @ Mar 19 2006, 09:31 AM)
Whats the latest update on this.

are we waiting on Morphenspectra?
736conver
icon_bump.gif

rmital
icon_bump.gif

just curious.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.