Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy: Fiberglass Bumper tops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
SpecialK
I'm in for a set @ $149.95 + $.05 shipping. wink.gif
rmital
icon_bump.gif

.....still very interested to see if a group purchase helps decrease my restoration budget.

WRX914
I spoke to my fiberglass guy last night. He said this part is easily manufactored with the aid of an original top rubber. I believe I have a set to take to mold available to me tomorrow. We will know a more very soon regarding pricing and how quickly we can produce them. One thing I noticed on the original fiberglass top is I think they used wood to attach the top glass piece to the bumper. I don't think this is the way to go, as the wood will fatigue over a period of time. We are thinking that urethane is the way to go.

smash.gif welder.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Jan 25 2006, 02:08 PM)
I spoke to my fiberglass guy last night. He said this part is easily manufactored with the aid of an original top rubber. I believe I have a set to take to mold available to me tomorrow. We will know a more very soon regarding pricing and how quickly we can produce them. One thing I noticed on the original fiberglass top is I think they used wood to attach the top glass piece to the bumper. I don't think this is the way to go, as the wood will fatigue over a period of time. We are thinking that urethane is the way to go.

smash.gif welder.gif

Great point. If anyone has already purchased a set of these, can you please look at the mountings and let us know what they are made of?

Thanks,
Joe
warrenporsche
Okay, I need to know if there is a phone # or e-mail to contact someone about how many prospective orders they have and how much, no offense intended but the process is grinding to a halt here. I realize this is an excluse item with a limited market. I am unsure who the fiberglass guy is but surely he has an idea what he will do a batch of one-off pieces for since he proabaly does it for race teams all the time. Phone#? e-mail? Price?

Thanks again!

warrenporsche@yahoo.com
Mueller
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Jan 25 2006, 03:08 PM)
One thing I noticed on the original fiberglass top is I think they used wood to attach the top glass piece to the bumper.

not sure what you mean by "original"...there is at least 2 different suppliers of the 'glass top.

why not use a metal strip with studs? just like the OEM rubber part has....
Aaron Cox
the pic ive seen had delrin blocks with studs in them. superb quality from what i hear
KaptKaos
QUOTE (warrenporsche @ Jan 25 2006, 02:19 PM)
Okay, I need to know if there is a phone # or e-mail to contact someone about how many prospective orders they have and how much, no offense intended but the process is grinding to a halt here. I realize this is an excluse item with a limited market. I am unsure who the fiberglass guy is but surely he has an idea what he will do a batch of one-off pieces for since he proabaly does it for race teams all the time. Phone#? e-mail? Price?

Thanks again!

warrenporsche@yahoo.com

Grinding to what halt? I started this thread and I posted right before your last post.

I have the process moving along just as I had expected. I have a few players at this point, but I am waiting for some additional data.

You can PM me if you are looking for more specific information.

Thanks,
Joe
KaptKaos
Update: I have been out of pocket for the last few days traveling, but here is the latest on this:

One supplier is willing to do a deal, but the price is too high (over $200 per set) but that includes bulk shipping. So I could have them shipped to me and we could meet up or I could ship them out to you individually. The price is too high at the moment. I am waiting for a few others to come back so that I can negotiate.

I am waiting for another vendor to get back to me. There have been some logistical issues on their end, so I do not expect to hear back from them until the end of the week.

I will know more then.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to get back to me.

Thanks,
Joe
tat2dphreak
how much over 200? doesn't sound too unreasonable...
KaptKaos
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jan 30 2006, 12:08 PM)
how much over 200? doesn't sound too unreasonable...

It's $220 without direct shipping, just bulk shipping to one place (i.e. me). So there is likely more costs on top of that.

Most folks here have responded with $150-$175 price range as the ball park, so this is too high at the moment. I will go back to the guy, but only after I have options and a position from which to negotiate.
tat2dphreak
yea, I guess it's by how bad you need 'em... mine are bad
jporsche914
will it be bare fiberglass or completely finished in black? If it would be a very high quality perfect fitting peice 220 bucks is a great deal
rmital
Mine are pretty bad too........held on with a string....
Chris Pincetich
KaptKaos & Others- Thanks for all the work on this, and a quick question..

I don't have the 914 with me to check, but don't the license plate lights mount to the bottom of the rear bumper top in some way?? Ignore this if I'm the mark, but I am hoping to find out that the fiberglass replacement will also allow for the proper mounting of both rear lisense plate lights.

Looking forward to seein the group price under $200
wink.gif
lapuwali
OK, my real pricing guide:

$100 per set for raw "chopper gunned" parts with no mounts, unfinished.
$150 per set if they're raw hand-laid parts with no mounts, unfinished

Add $50 for bonded in steel or aluminum mounts, drilled.
Add $50 for finishing to a ready to bolt on condition, primered.
Add $100 for ready to bolt on with zero finish work on the part of the buyer.

So, for hand-laid parts that are completely finished: $400 per set.

Were I intending to go into business selling these things, this is roughly how I'd price them. The cheap bastards just have to do more work to finish them (sanding edges to fit, primering, painting, drilling holes for license plate lights, etc). The people who have more money than time can just pay up for ready to go parts. It's the finish work that takes all the time in producing these things once you have a mold, so charge less for parts with little finish work.

KaptKaos
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 30 2006, 03:32 PM)
OK, my real pricing guide:

$100 per set for raw "chopper gunned" parts with no mounts, unfinished.
$150 per set if they're raw hand-laid parts with no mounts, unfinished

Add $50 for bonded in steel or aluminum mounts, drilled.
Add $50 for finishing to a ready to bolt on condition, primered.
Add $100 for ready to bolt on with zero finish work on the part of the buyer.

So, for hand-laid parts that are completely finished: $400 per set.

Were I intending to go into business selling these things, this is roughly how I'd price them. The cheap bastards just have to do more work to finish them (sanding edges to fit, primering, painting, drilling holes for license plate lights, etc). The people who have more money than time can just pay up for ready to go parts. It's the finish work that takes all the time in producing these things once you have a mold, so charge less for parts with little finish work.

James,

Interesting estimates, but the prices I am seeing at this moment are lower. You rightly point out that the devil is in the details, so I will certainly post more as I know more.

Also, to the previous poster, ChrisNPDrider, the ones that I have a solid quote on include the license light cut-outs.

Heading back to Cali manana. Sure is chilly here, but not as cold as it could be.

Be well.

- Joe
KaptKaos
Current Count is 29 smilie_pokal.gif

KaptKaos (that's me)
Grasshopper
Lagunero
Goodwood73
Demick
Bartlett914 x 2
Bmunday
Blitz
JimKelly
tat2dphreak
Rmital
Paul Illick
Trevorg7
Mrdezyne
Stl914
Riverman
Ajracer
Aaron Cox
fiid
Spunone
Gklinker
WRX914
ChrisNPDrider
Lapuwali
db9146
WarrenPorsche
Atsealevel914
Buzzard1

Ok, if I missed anyone please respond now.

Thanks,
Joe
scotty b
I'm down for a set now, maybe 2 right off the bat depending on final price and quality.
SGB
Will there be more in the future? Maybe Dave can get Pelican to buy another dozen, b/c soon as I don't buy now, there will be some occurance... I don't even like think about it. But really, the need won't go away after this first buy, so I'm hoping there may be a plan....
Korijo
me too, me too!
KaptKaos
Revised: 2/1/06

KaptKaos (that's me)
Grasshopper
Lagunero
Goodwood73
Demick
Bartlett914 x 2
Bmunday
Blitz
JimKelly
tat2dphreak
Rmital
Paul Illick
Trevorg7
Mrdezyne
Stl914
Riverman
Ajracer
Aaron Cox
fiid
Spunone
Gklinker
WRX914
ChrisNPDrider
Lapuwali
WarrenPorsche
Atsealevel914
Buzzard1
SGB
Korijo

Ok, I need positive confirmation of these interested parties by 2/6/06.

The current price is $200/set with bulk shipping to me in SoCal. For those in SoCal, we can use it as an excuse to BBQ!! beer3.gif

For those outside of SoCal, I can ship to you at your cost. I can ship fed-ex ground.

Let me know if you are game.

Once I get confirmation of people that are truely interested, I will start another thread with payment details.

Thanks!

- Joe
Gint
So, who's making these things anyway? You? Joe, that is, KaptKaos
anthony
Are there any high res pics of the finished product?
Toast
I only need the front one for my baby girl.
KaptKaos
1) I am not making them.

2) I hope to have some good pix shortly.

3) I am sure we can work something out for you Toast wink.gif
fiid
this is me ... confirming positively.

A bunch of these will be coming to the bay area so let's figure out a way to reduce the shipping cost on these.... perhaps we'll have to make a run to LA.

Fiid.
srcapmetal
I'm in for a set....Thanks.
tat2dphreak
if they are good quality, I'm in
Marlow
I'm interested too.
736conver
Im in if they are good quality
Demick
I'm in. But of course like everyone else, would like to reserve final judgement until I see what I'm getting.

I count ~5 sets that would be coming to the Bay Area. Like Fiid says, we could probably do a single shipment up here and then distribute them. They are not heavy, just large - so shipping 5 sets together will only be a few dollars more than shipping one set.

Demick
mrdezyne
My confirmation at $200 for the pair.....
gklinger
I'm in at $200, with pix of quality units. Oh, and it's gklinger...
rmital
I'm in Joe....trusting your judgement on quality. biggrin.gif

I couldn't be any further away on the right coast....looking forward to see what shipping is.
TINCAN914
I haven't seen this thred in a bit, came across it this morning.
Can someone help me out? Is the price $200.00 ? just want to clarify, seems like a fair price based on the description. As others have mentioned, I would like to see some pics, but if all is as it seems, I'm in.. Just tell me where to sign up... wink.gif
LvSteveH
Ok, I'm in for a set. Thanks
theol00
I am interested in a set as well - and I could participate in the bay area shipment too - thanks
goose2
ok...me too
Chris Pincetich
$200 confirmed - Bay Area also

If these are the same manufacterer as the ones for sale on eBay, there are pictures there. Are they???? If so, the eBay seller informed me they come with mounting hardware and have a slight curve up where they meet the fender. However the pics on eBay do not show them mounted, which would be awesome!! They are going for >$200 on eBay, almost $400 for BUY IT NOW, so we should thank Kapt for helpn out here!
Cheers!

beerchug.gif
rmital
QUOTE (ChrisNPDrider @ Feb 2 2006, 10:25 AM)
so we should thank Kapt for helpn out here!

agree.gif

...especially since I really suck at bidding for stuff on EBay....don't I JimKelly.... dry.gif
John
I wasn't "IN" before, but if it's not too late, I would be "IN" for one set at $200.00 for the set. I understand shipping will be extra since I'm not able to pick them up....

But of course like everyone else, would like to reserve final judgement until I see what I'm getting.

type11969
I'm definitely interested, like to see pics first though! Installed pics would be even better!

-Chris
maf914
Kap'n,

Put me down for one pair at $200. Hope this works out okay.
G e o r g e
I'd be in for a set. George
GWN7
I'm in, but want to see the end project
eddyt
I am interested in a set also.

Thanks
Rotary'14
I'm in for 2 sets at $200 too! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

-Rob
Trevorg7
Confirming I'm in for one set $200 - Bay Area Group.

T
Bartlett 914
Hi kap'n

A lot of questions about where these are comming from. When this started it was (I thought) about a group buy from the ebay seller. I believe he is in Michigan. A few pictures and good coments about them. Afterword, there were some coments from those that wanted to make them. From my view this is a little unknown. Could you please let us know what is up with who you are dealing with and what will be delivered.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.