Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy: Fiberglass Bumper tops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
KaptKaos
Ok, so I might consider managing a group buy of these fiberglass bumper tops. I want to know who is interested and how much you would be willing to pay for a set. The previous thread had at least 10-15 people asking about them.

So here is what I need:

1) How many sets you want.
2) Acceptable price point.

I have sent an email to the guy that is selling them.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Joe
grasshopper
i dont know price wise, but i would go for a set
lagunero
I would take a set.
KaptKaos
Guys, its great that you would like a set, but how much would you be willing to pay?
goodwood73
I would like a set. What does the guy making them expect to get for them? Don't want to insult anyone with how much I (A cheap skate) would offer. How about a price based on a number of sets purchased.

$50.00 a set would be great! slap.gif I would rather have the full bumpers in glass for weight savings.

Paul
Demick
I'd be in for a set. $150 per set is what I think they should cost.

Demick
Bartlett 914
Sure I would take a set for 50. But I am a realist. I can't believe someone that is getting 360 a set will sell them for 50 even in a group buy. I would pay 175 a set easily. I need 2 sets.

Mark
TINCAN914
I'm in... I honestly don't know what the market price is for a nice set. $150.00 sounds fair, but that might be unrealistic... confused24.gif
blitZ
I'm in for a set and have been watching the prices. There is an Ebay seller pushing the price envelope (IMO), asking $195 per piece, which is more than this CSOB is willing to pay. I believe morphenspectra is going to produce a set at some point and stated $185 for the pair, which sounds more reasonable. So for a group buy, $175 including shipping sounds good to me.
jimkelly
Interested - $125.

Shipping should be extra as east cost would be quite different than west coast.

Jim

tat2dphreak
I'm in for a set, 200 tops, but after tax money gets in(end of the month)
rmital
QUOTE (blitZ @ Jan 22 2006, 07:16 AM)
So for a group buy, $175 including shipping sounds good to me.

...I agree, for a group buy the $175 including the shipping would be good for me too. Thanks for even attempting to put this together!
DBCooper
Ditto.
Trevorg7
$150/pair sounds like a deal, I'm in.

T
lagunero
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Jan 21 2006, 08:46 PM)
Guys, its great that you would like a set, but how much would you be willing to pay?

Morphenspectra just mentioned that he's thinking about offering these between 150 and 175 (IIRC) but after this thread I can't see why they'd go for less than 200. Personally, at 145-150 a set I'm in for a set, at 175-200 a set I can wait until I really need them.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (lagunero @ Jan 22 2006, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Jan 21 2006, 08:46 PM)

Morphenspectra just mentioned that he's thinking about offering these between 150 and 175 (IIRC) but after this thread I can't see why they'd go for less than 200. Personally, at 145-150 a set I'm in for a set, at 175-200 a set I can wait until I really need them.

agree.gif
mrdezyne
$125 - $150 for a set....

I'm in, thanks for gathering info.....

STL914
QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Jan 22 2006, 09:48 AM)
$125 - $150 for a set....

This seems like a fair price and I'd be willing to go in for a set.
riverman
I need to buy a set sometime soon anyway, so anything cheaper than what is out there would be great. The consencus seems to be around $150.00 per set and that number sounds good to me as well.
ajracer
Sounds good to me; count me in for ONE set around $ 150-175.

Allan
KaptKaos
icon_bump.gif

Morning. Anyone interested in this please post. I am corresponding with the guy as we speak. I hope to have details shortly.

Thanks,
Joe
Aaron Cox
im in

150 a pair?
fiid
I'm in for a set - and think 150 is reasonable. I'd be happy to pay less though.... smile.gif
MattR
I'll just wait for everyone to buy fiberglass tops and buy up all the old rubber tops for significantly less happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 23 2006, 09:45 AM)
I'll just wait for everyone to buy fiberglass tops and buy up all the old rubber tops for significantly less happy11.gif

and replace them every year..... dry.gif laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 23 2006, 11:45 AM)

the rubber tops on mine look like damnit

a drywall screw is holding it together in the back
you still want 'em?
spunone
150.00 Im in lets hope this gets put togeather
gklinger
At $150 or thereabouts, I'm in for one set...
WRX914
Show me a pic of this part, I have the ability to produce fiberglass parts...

Go to www.koolkartz.com to see some of our work.

you can see some of our fiberglass work. We produce the bodies of the Hummer golf carts and the Buick Lucern. The bumper tops cant be a big deal to fabricate, and honestly I can't think of why they are costing so much. Please send a pic of the part. If anyone could send me the actual part, I could definately reproduce it.
Chris Pincetich
$150 a set sounds good to me too - I would be willing to pay more for a set if they were delivered in satin black with a nice layer of clear-coat for extra protection. Then I could see $175 as fair and would still be in.

Does the supplier/manufacturer have the ability to use CARBON FIBER in this mold? I will pay more for that! wink.gif
Seriously, if you could ask I would appreciate it. I have CF lids in the works, plan to add CF fog grille plates, CF guage cluster backing, and some CF bumper tops would be the shizzle on the dizzle.
beerchug.gif
lapuwali
I'd buy a set for $150-175.
db9146
I'm in for a set at the $150-175 range.
blitZ
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Jan 23 2006, 10:03 AM)

you can see some of our fiberglass work.  We produce the bodies of the Hummer golf carts and the Buick Lucern.  The bumper tops cant be a big deal to fabricate, and honestly I can't think of why they are costing so much.  Please send a pic of the part.  If anyone could send me the actual part, I could definately reproduce it.

They look like this:
user posted image
TJB/914
I am always amused & amazed how you guys set prices on 914 parts. Everyone wants a set at $XXX$ (cheap price with high quality) when you say that's what I'll pay. Excuse me but the manufacture sets the price based on his costs and profit. You then step up or do without. I know (Karl) the guy making these fibergalss tops. I believe he was selling them last year for about $150 to $175 each & probably at cost. He's not going to manufacture them or any one else at your suggested prices. Lets give our parts suppliers a chance to make a little money and encourage them to make 914 parts. I know lots of you guys want to buy cheap, but it's not going to happen when you say cheap, cheap. That scares our parts manufactures away.

Tom popcorn[1].gif
Oh Jake, I feel your pain!!!!!!!
KaptKaos
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Jan 23 2006, 10:03 AM)

you can see some of our fiberglass work. We produce the bodies of the Hummer golf carts and the Buick Lucern. The bumper tops cant be a big deal to fabricate, and honestly I can't think of why they are costing so much. Please send a pic of the part. If anyone could send me the actual part, I could definately reproduce it.

Let me know ASAP if you can these. It would be cool to get them from a member. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Aaron Cox
theres several players in this game tom.....
morph, the beay guy, a fg guy in san diego, and now wrx914.....

the best quality at the cheapest price WINS.....

DEMAND sets prices....
more players in the game benefit the purchasers....

flame away

:nomex on:
TJB/914
Aroon,

I understand that. I am just saying let them (suppliers) set a fair price first before you scare them away with cheap, cheap talk.

I am all for competition, but this is a small volume business. We need them more than they need us.

Tom popcorn[1].gif

TJB/914
Sorry, that's Aaron!!!!!

pray.gif
Trevorg7
Aaron is right. It is pure supply and demand. We are by no means telling anyone how to sell products. The original question was what an acceptable price point is. The masses have spoken and if our negotiator can pull it off great. We're not making him sell for less than cost+markup rather presenting an opportunity.

Thanks

T
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 23 2006, 02:32 PM)
I am always amused & amazed how you guys set prices on 914 parts. Everyone wants a set at $XXX$ (cheap price with high quality) when you say that's what I'll pay. Excuse me but the manufacture sets the price based on his costs and profit. You then step up or do without. I know (Karl) the guy making these fibergalss tops. I believe he was selling them last year for about $150 to $175 each & probably at cost. He's not going to manufacture them or any one else at your suggested prices. Lets give our parts suppliers a chance to make a little money and encourage them to make 914 parts. I know lots of you guys want to buy cheap, but it's not going to happen when you say cheap, cheap. That scares our parts manufactures away.

Tom popcorn[1].gif

Whoa now. This thread is to guage interest and determine what people would be willing to pay. We have no say over what someone's costs are or how much they want to make on a given product. No one is forcing anyone to do business here. There are some manufacturers that will take a bulk order of 15 or 20 sets of bumper tops and make less per set, but more at one time and some that won't.

We are not talking engines here, which are critical to the operation of a car, but an asthetic piece to replace crappy looking bumper tops with nice clean fiberglass ones. I have lived with my crappy rubber tops for 3 years, I can survive with them. If I can get a decent deal on fiberglass ones, then great, I will do it. If not, then I will stick with my crappy rubber tops.

warrenporsche
I am in, lemmie know where to send the dough. I just bought a 914 2 days ago and the factory ones are shot anyway!!
fiid
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 23 2006, 02:32 PM)

Tom popcorn[1].gif

It's a market. You're right that it's not a particuarly large volume market. Markets have buyers that are willing to buy at certain prices and sellers. It is not correct that sellers should always set prices, just as it is not correct that sellers should always set prices. There are a spectrum of niches in between - from Ferrari to Wal-mart. This is just a little exercise really in market research. When we have an understanding of volume and price point we'll shop it around and see what we can get. If it comes in a $160 a set I bet almomst everyone will buy them. And I also bet it won't include shipping.
lagunero
While still on the subject of getting these parts, if WRX914 were able to make these, I'd suggest a second option. Deviating from the original, I had planned on making a set that did not overlap the bumper but instead blended smoothly with it. Since I like the safety factor that a steel bumper offers (opposed to FG) the reason for the FG top is not weight but durability (compared to rubber top), the FG top is defeated by protruding. The visual difference would be minimal and if originality is not a main concern, IMO we have a winner.
JB 914
i'll take a set. I'll also hold them while you smack'em on the price. ohmy.gif wink.gif
lagunero
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Jan 23 2006, 11:31 PM)
i'll take a set. I'll also hold them while you smack'em on the price. ohmy.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif
Chris Pincetich
Donkey dude - you are right on the money smilie_pokal.gif

A fiberglass bumper top will look great for many years, unlike the rubber, but will be TOTALED by the smallest impact if it protrudes in front of the steel bumper. The bumper top will be crushed, and then the steel bumper will take a hit too.

I totally agree with you, the best way to do this is have it flush, or millimeters behind, the front steel bumper. It will sacrifice the durability - but if that is a big issue we can all glue the rubber titties back on!
laugh.gif laugh.gif
WRX914
Talking with my fiberglass guy today... Hopefully we will be able to help you out.

Whatever design you would like can be done. It would be helpful to actually have a part to press the mold from, and then modify the mold to incorporate your ideas.

Thx

Keith
warrenporsche
Okay, all fine and good, I will still take a set as long as the price is not truly ridiculous. are all the bumper caps the same for these cars? or is there some mounting difference from year to year?
lapuwali
QUOTE (warrenporsche @ Jan 24 2006, 02:13 PM)
Okay, all fine and good, I will still take a set as long as the price is not truly ridiculous. are all the bumper caps the same for these cars? or is there some mounting difference from year to year?

'70-'74 are all the same. '75-'76 have completely different bumpers.
atsealevel914
I need a set. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.