Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
STL914
I'm looking for some ideas on how to mount a pair of auxillary driving lights
to my front bumper, NOT THE HOOD!

I've seen photos of GT's and rallay cars with the latger diamter lights mounted either to the inside or the outside of the OEM fog lights. Anyone have any ideas on what type of brackets are available or were fab'd up to do this?

I had thought of making a bracket that would bolt to the front bumper on 73's and 74's using the mounting holes for the rubber tits. Think that would work?
Aaron Cox
i have hella 500's and my mounts were going to use the bumper mount locations.

i have yet to mount mine,

last i heard David lee was working on a set smile.gif

cant wait.

lemme know if you need pictures
user posted image
user posted image
HarveyH
Used a short length of 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 angle iron mounted between the bottom edge of the bumper and the top of the valence panel with about six countersunk flathead 10-32 screws. Had to cut a shallow V in order to clear a slight lip on the bottom edge of the bumper.
Harvey
Eric_Shea
David Lee... send them to me first! laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 1 2006, 11:35 AM)
David Lee... send them to me first! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i think the light mounts are on a back burner for him.

lets bump some interest in them smile.gif
Eric_Shea
On a more serious note; those ones in your last picture don't look too stable. They look like they'd bounce a bit. The serious ones I've seen have bracing (Lufthansa car etc...)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 1 2006, 12:54 PM)
On a more serious note; those ones in your last picture don't look too stable. They look like they'd bounce a bit. The serious ones I've seen have bracing (Lufthansa car etc...)

steel vs aluminum....

but your right. that isnt 1/8th steel.....
STL914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 1 2006, 10:24 AM)
i have hella 500's and my mounts were going to use the bumper mount locations.

Doesn't using the bumper mounts for your driving lights eliminate the use of the OEM fog lights? I want to have both available for use.
Aaron Cox
nope. they sit outboard of the OEM fogs.....

im wired for both too....

330 watts of light at my command (6x55)
Eric_Shea
330 watts of light at my command (6x55)

I hear banjo music...
r_towle
chairfall.gif

God, some days this place is just what the doctor ordered.

A good discussion....and then....badabump...the punchline...

To funny...

Rich
redshift
Nail gun.

M
Howard
What a bunch of friggin CW's. Go to local DoIt center or whatever, buy a piece of 1/16" x 1" strap aluminum for a few bucks. Bend it, drill it, shape it, mount it. Or get someone to design and machine same thing for you for $100. screwy.gif

You can paint it of course, so tell us what paint you used. What screws? Did you use backing between the bumper and the brackets? laugh.gif laugh.gif

100w halogens from Harbor Freight for $9.95? Or the 55w Hellas for $200? Inquiring minds want to know.

NOT!
Aaron Cox
Aluminum doesnt bend well....
Howard
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 1 2006, 09:15 PM)

Hope you're not planning to be an ME. poke.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Howard @ Feb 1 2006, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 1 2006, 09:15 PM)

Hope you're not planning to be an ME. poke.gif

tends to crack.....
Howard
whatever...
Mugs914
Cool lights Aaron! (The same ones I have, as a matter of fact...) beerchug.gif

I have't mounted mine yet either... mad.gif

BUT... when I do get around to it I have some 1/8 - 3/16 inch thick aluminum brackets cut from 3" angle stock all ready to go. Since I have 'glass bumpers on my car the brackets will bolt directly to the tub and poke out through the fog light grilles to hold the lights. I don't have stock fogs on the thing so no worries there...

That's the plan anyway. We'll see if it works in real life...

Sounds like tomorrow's project! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
Eric_Shea
Cool lights Aaron!

(he copied me...) dry.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2006, 08:59 AM)
Cool lights Aaron!

(he copied me...) dry.gif

i didnt know my coupon could go back in time laugh.gif
STL914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 1 2006, 10:24 AM)

lemme know if you need pictures

Aaron, would you either post some pictures here or e-mail some to
me?
Aaron Cox
i dont have any of my mounts, bc they arent finished yet.....

but here are some originals....
user posted image
user posted image
flesburg
Lites?

Ve don need no stinking lites
nein14
here's some
nein14
try again
dlee1967
Coming soon....after I complete the towbar project. I've cut the steel on the plasma, but need to shape and weld up the gussets. First set to Aaron for beta test in about a week.
Aaron Cox
smilie_pokal.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
Eric_Shea
i didnt know my coupon could go back in time

Damn... foiled again sad.gif
Eric_Shea
First set to Aaron for beta test in about a week.

Er-ic not Aar-on. That's E-R-I-C, Eric! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

laugh.gif
STL914
John,

That looks like a hot set-up. How about a close up shot or two of your mounting brackets?
dlee1967
Getting close. I cut two units for test fit. These work well with my stock valance, special edition spoiler and my ultimate air dam. The bumper on this car is a fiberglass unit similar to a stock steel bumper, but I will not be able to try with a stock unit until next week.

These brackets mount under the stock bumper "dog bones" and are reversable so that you may mount the Hella 500s on the far outside of your bumper or closer to your stock "fog light" location. My test units will determine if welded gussets are needed, but at this time, I think not.

Still a few weeks away from production as I am finishing up some other projects, but at least there is a peek. Beta test units to go out next week .........

Aaron Cox
Freakin awesome david! i love how you can offset them left and right. thats genious!!!!

smiley_notworthy.gif
dlee1967
second
dlee1967
third
dlee1967
Last
alpha434
So. The question is.... How many can I fit?

I want some to fit under the bumper, in front of the valence.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 13 2006, 11:35 PM)
So. The question is.... How many can I fit?

I want some to fit under the bumper, in front of the valence.

theyre 7" dude.... huh.gif

rolleyes.gif
alpha434
Haha, Aaron. Yes. I was thinking of doing 4 inchers or even 2.5s. But low to the ground. I want to do 916 bumpers, and I don't think they'd look good with really big lights sticking out of them.
STL914
QUOTE(dlee1967 @ Feb 13 2006, 10:18 PM) *

Getting close. I cut two units for test fit. These work well with my stock valance, special edition spoiler and my ultimate air dam. The bumper on this car is a fiberglass unit similar to a stock steel bumper, but I will not be able to try with a stock unit until next week.

These brackets mount under the stock bumper "dog bones" and are reversable so that you may mount the Hella 500s on the far outside of your bumper or closer to your stock "fog light" location. My test units will determine if welded gussets are needed, but at this time, I think not.

Still a few weeks away from production as I am finishing up some other projects, but at least there is a peek. Beta test units to go out next week .........

David,

How are you coming along on the driving light brackets? Will these be available soon? Do the brackets fit between the bumper and valance?
Aaron Cox
not david, but the prototypes were close and need some fine tuning.

id venture to say he has them close smile.gif
Eric_Shea
the prototypes were close and need some fine tuning.

id venture to say he has them close

Protos are actually done... I was going to try to find some time to mount them today and take some pics. Film at 11:00 wink.gif
Eric_Shea
pics of your lights. NOW boldblue.gif

What lights? owned.gif

av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 16 2006, 04:28 PM) *

pics of your lights. NOW boldblue.gif

What lights? owned.gif

av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif av-943.gif lol3.gif

owned.gif thumb3d.gif
dlee1967
Eric, what did you think of the powdercoat quality on the prototypes?

I believe the two gussets I've added will eliminate "movement" I saw on the first pass. The longer bracket also eliminated the fitment issues that Aaron saw on his steel bumpered car.

Did I mention the rear Hella foglight bracket? How did you like that? I believe it gives those who want the Euro look without drilling a stock bumper or valance for the light. I mocked up two bumper sections with the lights and brackets (front and rear), but have to help a neighbor by putting a PS pump on his plumbing van. NO pictures yet....... Pics to follow later in the week......

DLee
dlee1967
Front...final mockup before production pieces.....
dlee1967
Bracket for the rear "fog" light by Hella...........
Aaron Cox
looks good! looks like you found a stock bumper to see what i meant. looks awesome. thanks again for doin this!!

AA
eg914
David,
The driving light brackets look great! Could they be used to mount the lights inboard of the fog light grilles? Yet another thing to add to my list of purchases in search of funding.
dlee1967
Bill the beauty of these brackets is that they sandwich behind the bumper mounts so no drilling is required. I originally wanted to make they reversable so that you could swap sides with them and mount the lights closer to the center, but this creates other clearance issues as the bumper is curved. I do have prototypes of brackets that mount the Hella 500s diectly in front of the stock light location( must remove the stock light), but I want to launch the outboard units first.

If there is enough interest for brackets that mount the lights inboard of the horn grill, I would make some up. These would require drilling and bolting to the body behind the bumper. Not such an appealing idea as a no drill option.

DLee

QUOTE(eg914 @ Apr 17 2006, 01:23 AM) *

David,
The driving light brackets look great! Could they be used to mount the lights inboard of the fog light grilles? Yet another thing to add to my list of purchases in search of funding.

Qarl
I might like a pair of these...

Would be cool for the same concept, but inboard of the foglight grille
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.