Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 Tow Bar Brackets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2
Gint
I took a 9/16 drill bit to mine today. Cheap POS H.F. chinese bit drilled the first 3 holes pretty well, but the next 3 became a real challenge. A unibit finally finished it off though. Acid test will be next Saturday. I need to haul another 914 from storage to the house.
dlee1967
I was on a cruise this week and left the laptop at home, but all emails have now been returned and are up to date. thanks guys....David Lee

Gint
Those 9/16" holes made all the difference. Bolted right up this time. I did add some flat washers since the ID of the lock washers was just a little close with the 9/16" holes. Looks good! Trial fit yesterday went well. Now that everything is all fitted up, I could take this bar and mount it to a 914 and hook everything and be ready to tow from scratch in 30 minutes if I was in a rush.

Pics later...
jimkelly
David,

Just paypaled you for my empi style bar with tabs for tow chain.

Thanks,

Jim
JimSar
This is exactly what the Dr. ordered! smile.gif

I'm converting my '75 to an electric vehicle, and designed it to give up range for speed and acceleration. (It's a 914, afterall).

This will allow me to tow it to EVents held beyond it's 50-60 mile range. And during the building phase, I can also tow it to a shop if I need to.

Wow, local VW performance type stores want more than $100 for the EMPI 3131-7. I can order one from Nevada for $57, no tax, but still waiting for a quote on shipping.

I'll PM David with a firm order as soon as I'm sure which tow bar I'll be using.

Jim
cobra94563
Got the bar last week and tried it out yesterday.

Bolted up fine. (The front bolt spacer was a little long for me for some reason - I cut it down). Other than, fits great!

Towed to the shop to get some work done. Less then 10min on/off.

Works great! Thanks for making these!

thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif
dlee1967
Thanks for the support guys! I have more 914 products in the works. The owner of a tail dragger even twisted my arm so I would make a tow bar bracket for 911s. After a few more weeks of beta testing on a local car, those will be available on my site.

I've experimented a bit with a tow hitch for 914s for a small autocross trailer, but I am not yet happy with the design as it passes around the stock muffler. It is no issue with my V8 cars, but I have to consider that the majority of 914 owners still have the four......

Thanks again.....and please spread the word. David Lee
jimkelly
just returned from a round trip from VA -to des moines IA - and back to VA with 1975 914 attached to my 1989 van using David's empi tow bar mount - mounted fast and worked perfectly - every car should have one : )

thanks,

David
dlee1967
Thanks for the plug Jim. I am glad to hear that you had an easy tow home. Great find with that 914! Nice condition......
beerchug.gif

The tow vehicle with the fisheye window really completes the '70s look!

David Lee
dangrouche
Just wanted to add my comments that it is an excellent product and that it bolted it up fine. I had a little trouble and thought my frame was out of whack, but after jockeying around the front of the torsion bars, it bolted it up fine. I have the Special Edition spoiler, so I did not have to cut or remove it for the installation. David even refunded an overpayment I did on Paypal. David, thanks you for an excellent product. My super Beetle bar I got mated up perfectly!!

dlee1967
Thank you sir! DLee

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Oct 1 2006, 10:42 AM) *

Just wanted to add my comments that it is an excellent product and that it bolted it up fine. I had a little trouble and thought my frame was out of whack, but after jockeying around the front of the torsion bars, it bolted it up fine. I have the Special Edition spoiler, so I did not have to cut or remove it for the installation. David even refunded an overpayment I did on Paypal. David, thanks you for an excellent product. My super Beetle bar I got mated up perfectly!!

Aaron Cox
oh geez... another plug smile.gif

i flat towed my car 1410 miles round trip to RRC (moab utah from socal)...
worked great.... thanks for making this too easy to tow to events david!

BTW - make sure you get the bar as level as possible (get a big drop hitch)... i have a short wheel base truck... and my bar was angled up toward the truck (even with a 3.5" drop hitch)... and it can make the tow vehicle a little squirly in corner braking.... where as if you have the bar basically level... it pushes into the tow vehicle, vs pushing forward and UP...

thanks again david smile.gif
dlee1967
Good point Aaron. I watched your posts about the trip. You are very talented with that tape.......quite a fashion statement. Guys with nice paint towing through ice, snow or gravel, may want to invest is a bra......

Thanks for the plug...(no comments from Z please) DLee

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2006, 08:55 PM) *

worked great.... thanks for making this too easy to tow to events david!

BTW - make sure you get the bar as level as possible (get a big drop hitch)... i have a short wheel base truck... and my bar was angled up toward the truck (even with a 3.5" drop hitch)... and it can make the tow vehicle a little squirly in corner braking.... where as if you have the bar basically level... it pushes into the tow vehicle, vs pushing forward and UP...

thanks again david smile.gif

DrifterJay
are these still available?
DanT
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jul 24 2007, 12:20 PM) *

are these still available?

check his website that is listed (ad) on his last post.

they are still listed on his site. smile.gif

great product by the way. biggrin.gif
spare time toys
icon_bump.gif for the guy looking for this thread
jim_hoyland
David,

Rcd my tow bracket Friday, got it on today. Nice fit, only had to enlarge the front hole 1 step.
pktzygt
I sent you an email.
pktzygt
I just received my bracket. Look's solid. Nice painted finish. Fast shipping. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it on there.
Derek Seymour
Wonderful product! Easy to install, very secure, and well designed.

I did a 10 hour round trip for my first outing and not a single thing went wrong with the setup.

Thanks for providing us with such a great product!!!!

flag.gif
Click to view attachment
JazonJJordan
QUOTE(dlee1967 @ Feb 28 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Tow bar brackets are now available.

More installed pictures to follow as users forward them..........

Click Here for Details.........

Excellent product offer, just ordered my first one... : c )
laugh.gif ~Thanks~ jzn
Project 6
QUOTE(dlee1967 @ Oct 3 2006, 02:54 PM) *

Guys with nice paint towing through ice, snow or gravel, may want to invest is a bra......

Thanks for the plug...(no comments from Z please) DLee

<!-- quoteo(post=785324:date=Oct 1 2006, 08:55 PM:name=Aaron Cox) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2006, 08:55 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->

<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Geeez, feel the love..... bootyshake.gif

I have one as well. Ditto the drop hitch, needs to be flat....
Chazzer914
I hate being the guy that resurrects a 10-13 year old post but is this gentleman still in business and making this equipment?

Cheers Jim
914werke
QUOTE(Chazzer914 @ Jul 4 2019, 07:14 PM) *
I hate being the guy that resurrects a 10-13 year old post but is this gentleman still in business and making this equipment? Cheers Jim

Short answer No.
But the evolution of that product is available HERE with his blessing
smile.gif
Mikey914
If you want the one set up for the EMPI tow bracket (and lower profile) we have them here with all the mounting hardware included

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/flat-tow-bar-1-
frostyf
Just wanted to add that I bought one and it worked really well towing my 73 from Denver NC to Virginia Beach with a Ford Explorer. I also purchased the magnet tow lights and a haul master variable hitch from Harbour Freight. UHaul wouldn't offer a Dolly to a Ford Explorer owner and this was the only option and worked very well!
914werke
QUOTE(frostyf @ Sep 24 2019, 01:22 PM) *

Just wanted to add that I bought one and it worked really well towing my 73 from Denver NC to Virginia Beach with a Ford Explorer. I also purchased the magnet tow lights and a haul master variable hitch from Harbour Freight. UHaul wouldn't offer a Dolly to a Ford Explorer owner and this was the only option and worked very well!

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.