Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 power windows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bd1308
wouldnt the motor put off some kind of intereference?

J/w
Dr Evil
I'm flattered, Jim biggrin.gif It is possible. I know I will be out in San Joses in Oct 07 if everything goes allright for my wedding. Other than that, I am not sure when I will be uot. Try to find Skline, he used to do these installs for a living and he has been MIA lately so wee need someone to do a drive by wink.gif
jim_hoyland
Mike,

Got a question on shimming the assembly; Do you put washers behand all the bolts holding the assembly to the door or just the ones by the crank ? I tried shimming the two M7s by the crank handle and it became difficult to turn.

And, did you replace the two M7 near the crank with a flat head ? I am finding the bolts heads are kinda in the way.

Pictures to come later....

Thanks,

Jim
Dr Evil
Jim,
I shimmed everything (not the tracks necessarily unless they bind with the new angle) as per Sklines instructions. This keeps the geometry of the window mechanism the same while moving it into the door a slight bit. I do not recall replacing any bolts, but if they are in the way I see no problem with replacing them with a more suitable fastener. For shims I made my own out of some of the spare window adapters. Any nylon stock should work.
jim_hoyland
Thanks Mike,

I'l post a picture of the set up; I had to go with a different motor/cable set up because of the conflict with the speakers. I think they are AuotoBac. There is no name on the set up but it allowed me to mount the motor at the rear of the door and have a straight run to the winder. I'll shoot a pict of that later today.

Here'a a pict of the two set ups side by side. The only problem I have is the adapter was missing and I'm checking to see if PO may kept it. The adapters from your kit are a hare to big and if I file them down, all the splines are lost. If I can't locate the original adapter, I may JB Weld the adapter to the setup. I believe there will be plently of holding power. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 25 2006, 09:57 AM) *

Jim,
I shimmed everything (not the tracks necessarily unless they bind with the new angle) as per Sklines instructions. This keeps the geometry of the window mechanism the same while moving it into the door a slight bit. I do not recall replacing any bolts, but if they are in the way I see no problem with replacing them with a more suitable fastener. For shims I made my own out of some of the spare window adapters. Any nylon stock should work.

jim_hoyland
Mike,

I found a pair of these motors and they really fit good. The only problem is they didn't come with the adapters for the window crak shaft; the ones from your kit are to big. I tried filing one down to make it fit. but by the time it fit, there were no splines left.
Robert21 has a Spall kit, we are going to see if those adapters will work; the seller is also looking for the origs.

My bak up plan is to JB Weld the filed down adapters into the mechanism. Seems like there the splines on the outer ring will provide a place for the JB to bond.

Any suggestions on replacement adapters or back up plan ?

Thanks, Jim
Dr Evil
Maybe Quick steel putty will serve you better. I have no more adaptors and do not know where exactly to get more (if possible). I only had enough for the kits I sold. the only problem with the putty or the weld is that is will not want to come off of the actuator in the future. Tough call. Maybe lubing the actuator with teflon first, or plastic wrap woudl allow you to make a removable part. I have vrafted some amazing stuff out of Quicksteel.

Sorry I can't be more of a help sad.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 30 2006, 08:38 PM) *

Mike,

I found a pair of these motors and they really fit good. The only problem is they didn't come with the adapters for the window crak shaft; the ones from your kit are to big. I tried filing one down to make it fit. but by the time it fit, there were no splines left.
Robert21 has a Spall kit, we are going to see if those adapters will work; the seller is also looking for the origs.

My bak up plan is to JB Weld the filed down adapters into the mechanism. Seems like there the splines on the outer ring will provide a place for the JB to bond.

Any suggestions on replacement adapters or back up plan ?

Thanks, Jim

^ A single image that provides an answer to my first reservation with adding a motor to the door after seeing the first page of this thread: Where do you mount the motor if you already have door speakers? Yours is a really nice setup.

Thanks for this, Jim. Next questions: How long have you (and any others!) been living with power windows, and how has it been?
IronHillRestorations
Pretty sure the guy I got the kit from (car got wrecked) had the motor mounted with springs in the top rear inner door frame
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.