Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head blanks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
Klaus

this German company says they start off with brand new casting (which I'm guessing they own the molds for), so who knows, you might be able to get some raw castings from them....

Aaron Cox
all that work and still the 1.7/8 plug angle
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 24 2006, 04:30 PM)
all that work and still the 1.7/8 plug angle

who knows, with thier different combustion chamber that placment might just work?? confused24.gif
Jake Raby
Thats an OEM/ early AMC casting...

Moving the plug has given us a solid 10% power gain, no matter the chamber shape, every time.. Plus it makes for a stronger head with less heat soaked into the material between the face of the chamber and the plug.
alpha434
OEM made 2.6 liter head castings?!?!
alpha434
Hey, Jake!!! It looks like that company makes their own DTM setups too.
Dave_Darling
The head doesn't care what size engine it goes on... The valves do (and the head cares about valve size), but that's about it.

--DD
alpha434
The head has to be bored large enough to accept 2.6 liter cylinders. They don't specify that the don't stroke 'em. But they can't JUST stroke 'em.
Katmanken
Ya know,

That Klaus head has what looks like the Jim Feuling patented peanut combustion chamber..... Peanut chamber, huge squish areas....

Jim is gone but he made some rightous power from his engines. First time I saw that chamber shape I wondered how much power from that bad boy???????

US 5,445,135

Ken
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 24 2006, 08:17 PM)
The head has to be bored large enough to accept 2.6 liter cylinders. They don't specify that the don't stroke 'em. But they can't JUST stroke 'em.

103x80 will get you over 2.6 liters, and 103s have been done hundreds of times with stock heads as the basis. No big deal at all, in fact. (Making them last or cool seems to be the big deal.) I believe that the bore size is limited more by the head stud spacing than the heads themselves, and that is a constant for a stock Type IV case. (Yeah, I've seen pics of one that was modded for ultra-supra-huge cylinders. Not worth it IMHO.)

My point is that the heads don't really care what size the motor is--they don't constrain the size, it's other stuff that does.

--DD
Jake Raby
Klaus's set up isn't a DTM.... It uses the power soaking 911 fan and it's the only system that I have not tested against the DTM- because he won't sell to the states.

As Dave stated the head can be machined larger than stock or who knows, being in Germany he may have access to the castings before they are machined.

As for the chamber shape, we have been using that and variants of it for high speed engines for quite a few years, employed correctly it works with a small bore very well, but it alters the rest of the combo generally due to the shrouding effects- I have never seen a benefit from it on a large bore. The "New Generation" heads have one version that employs a similar chamber shape, not as radically shrouded as the Feuling chamber.

Remember: "It's all in the combo"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.