Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Speed Dating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
skline
I have seen stuff on the news about it, they featured it in the movie "Hitch" and it looked like fun. Since I am now single again and living alone, I was thinking about trying it out. I was hoping maybe some of you here have done it and would share your insight a little with me. If you dont want to post it here, send me a pm and let me know what you thought of it.
Bleyseng
Yeah, I tried it when it first came out....

Be yourself
Be honest
Try to look nice

Have fun!! I always just asked just 2 or 3 questions and winged it from there. For me it was a Red Flag if the woman had a checklist so I always teased them alot.

Too much is said just by how and what is said in the first minute. Men look at women differently than women look at men, haha. It can be a blast and a good way to meet people to have fun with and maybe make some friends.
If you are there just to get laid, good luck!
Allan
Is that where you meet, spend most of your money on her and she leaves as fast as possible? biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
see the pick up line "Im scott kline biatch!" laugh.gif

Brando
Ooooohhhhohoohohoh... here we go!

user posted image

biggrin.gif
Bleyseng

av-943.gif

popcorn[1].gif
skline
Thanks for the input Geoff, and of course I knew the peanut gallery would have a few things to say too so it was expected. Anyone else try it?

I plan on looking sharp for this event but not overboard to give them a wrong impression. I figured a nice pair of jeans or casual slacks and a button down shirt but no tie, or should I wear a tie? I dont want to portray something I am not normally. I am really a jeans and polo shirt kind of guy. Weekends are pretty much the same except I wear just a T-shirt and jeans with tennies.

I am not in it to get laid, I can do that without spending time in a club.
Brando
How you are normally? Wear that dark blue jumpsuit, welder's helmet on and carry a toolbox in one hand.

Then you say "Baby, I'm here to fix all your problems..."
skline
Brandon, you a funny guy, real fukinfunny guy.
anthony
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 26 2006, 03:23 PM)
I plan on looking sharp for this event but not overboard to give them a wrong impression. I figured a nice pair of jeans or casual slacks and a button down shirt but no tie, or should I wear a tie? I dont want to portray something I am not normally. I am really a jeans and polo shirt kind of guy. Weekends are pretty much the same except I wear just a T-shirt and jeans with tennies.

My only suggestion is to not take it too seriously and just see it as an opportunity maybe meet someone you wouldn't normally meet.

Regarding clothes - I think you should step it up as if you were taking a date to a fancy restaurant or going out to a swanky cocktail party. Would you wear jeans on those occasions - probably not.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 26 2006, 02:23 PM)
I am really a jeans and polo shirt kind of guy. .

Wear your normal nice casual clothes! or it depends on the crowd there...I didn't go to the speed dating places where too many were dressed up. The guys in suits stood out and a few women were way overdressed. No flip flops or tevas....course I am in Seattle so you'll figure it out.
Go there feeling comfortable and confident about yourself. You aren't selling yourself but meeting people who happen to be women. If one seems interesting speak up and effin ask for a phone number or email addy so you can "get in touch". If or you are turned down (kicked to the curb) so what and ask the next interesting one. Its just a quick why to ask a few basic questions and see if the other person is atleast someone you can talk to easily. biggrin.gif :
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I don't know anything about speed dating,but i had a speed marriage ,lasted 7 weeks. Does that count. Dave slap.gif
racerx7

Good luck.

I think I would joke myself and I would have nothing to say. I am ok meeting and talking
to people but if I am put on the spot to "DANCE". "Nice weather" comes out of me.

Please let us know how it goes.
TINCAN914

Pamela Handerson's a cheap date!! av-943.gif Sorry Scotty....

Just wear the nice jeans and Polo shirt, be yourself..
jimtab
I say go for the "Gonzo" look...smoking jacket, ascot and cigarette holder....oh and mirrored blue sunglasses....great look... biggrin.gif
cbenitah
i need to go to a place like that.. i know i can find a wife for my green card there.. boldblue.gif
shaggy
make sure to tell them you own a Porsche!

dont explain the whole VW thing, it kinda kills it.

-Jim
elwood-914
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 26 2006, 02:23 PM)

Aaron, where's Aaron..............ha
Bleyseng
Its being held at a Hooters, right? shocked[1].gif
turboman808
I have seriously considered it. I am a sort of tech geek, endurance sports geek and wanna be autox geek. Needless to say I don't run into many women. Add to that I am very picky. So sadly I don't find women I like and am attracted to. It's very hard.

But yeah I was gonna try it this wednesday. Let ya know how it goes.
JPB
Hey bud sounds like fun. Be yourself and exude confidence since chics are crazy for confident dudes; thats why they are attracted to "assholes" . My advice is, if she looks to damn good for you, then she's the one and be confident about it! Anyone else will be in second place. You gotta a sexy car and need a sexy lady to go with it. And don't forget the stock 914 seat test. If she is uncomfortable in your seat for a long ride then she's to old! Make us all proud for the next club calender!

grouphug.gif "Your so hot baby and I want ya but I realy need to know you first."
Dr Evil
Scotty,
I know you quite well, and I have a degree in psychology. All I have to say is that if it does not work out I would largely guess that it was not your fault. You are a complex guy that requires a woman to have the rare trait of being interested in someone or something other than herself and her entertainment. You have plenty to offer a patient woman that is real and not self absorbed or idealistic.

The best part is to do what you are doing and get your self out there.

The best part is, the older they get hte lower their standards wink.gif (jk man)
SirAndy
you know, that's probably not going to help you, but i think i will try that myself one day, just for the giggles ...

i've been thinking about a green mohawk again lately. you think that would go over well with the speed-dating girl crowd?
biggrin.gif Andy
Howard
Just sit quietly and lick your eyebrows cool_shades.gif
riverman
I've had a couple of speedy dates... yellowsleep[1].gif
alpha434
QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 26 2006, 08:40 PM)

That is F%$#in hilarious. Excellent work, Howard.

And IF you were Howard, you'd have to tell them about your international hose of mystery.

But come up with some good things to talk about. You have to be a little more interesting than "Hey, I own a Porsche."

You have to be like "Hey, I have a small penis to compensate for my extic sportscar"

Except not so blunt, kapeash?
shaggy
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 26 2006, 09:04 PM)
"Hey, I own a Porsche."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

one of my friends actually uses that line and it works about 90%!!

he'll just walk up and say, "i drive a porsche"

dosent always work though i remember hearing "ya! you have told me like 5 F-in times! F-off"

-jim
Elliot_Cannon
Drive the truck. Don't let them see the Chalon. Don't smoke in front of them. Clean your fingernails. Shower before leaving the house. Don't tell them about Aaron. Tell them you own your own computer business.
Cheers, Elliot
drewvw

I think the best contribution to this thread I can make is from the movie Swingers:

"You're money mikey. You're so money and you don't even know it...." cool.gif
nomore9one4
Scott, be careful of the gayfight.gif
Joe Bob
Before I got married, I had a really fast flat bottom boat.....painted camoflage....called it the "Ramboat"......

Used to tow/drive to the launch and use the line..."wanna boat ride little girl?" Worked a lot..... mueba.gif one outta ten....percentage was low, but so were my standards...... shocked[1].gif

Be surprised how many bimbettes were boatless at the Colorado River....gotta love those floating bars.....
jimtab
QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 26 2006, 08:40 PM)

Geez Howie...isn't that what everyone does???? biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Hey Jim....how do ya "discreetely" yack up a hairball?
Hawktel
Dude Save the porsche thing. I'd not even go there. Thats like great Date 3 stuff.

Tell them you just want to have fun. No pressure, No drama.
rhodyguy
don't put the vibrator on the table.

k
skline
Thanks everyone for not giving me a hard time about this. It just looked like fun and I thought I would try it out and see. Thanks also for the advice and the ideas on questions to ask the women. I was not even going to mention the Chalon or the word Porsche. I was intending to drive the truck and leave it at that. I am also not going to mention that I own a company, just that I am a computer consultant. Still not sure if I will mention that I work out at the port also. Women out here seem to be concerned about how much you make, what you drive and so on. That is not the girl I want to be with at all. Besides, I probably wont meet anyone special there anyway. The area it is in is mostly snobby Newport people.
drewvw
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 27 2006, 07:15 AM)
don't put the vibrator on the table.

k

lol2.gif
Howard
QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 27 2006, 06:49 AM)
Used to tow/drive to the launch and use the line..."wanna boat ride little girl?" Worked a lot..... mueba.gif one outta ten....percentage was low, but so were my standards...... shocked[1].gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif
Nose Coffee!
DonTraver
Looks like everyone thinks they're a comedian, too bad they fail miserably.

I went to a couple of them about 4 years ago. By and large most of the women there were pretty nice. Didn't work out for me, cause I got real sick shortly there after, left overs from Nam, so dating got real low on the list of priorities.

The women stayed seated, and the men moved from table to table when the bell rang. The opening thing I asked is, "What do you do for fun, hobbies, pets, etc". I was surprized how many women didn't do much for fun, or didn't have any hobbies. Insert "High Maintenance". They expect you to keep them entertained, way too much work for me. I just don't do well being a entertainment committee. I think it's important for everyone to have hobbies, be able to entertain themselves.

There were 2 women at one that had just been laid off, they were looking for someone to take care of them. At least they were honest, lol.

Dress nice, Dockers, Island shirt, nice shoes, etc. Show up early, check out the venue, area. Bring notepad and pen, business cards if you have them. Get phone numbers, rate them before moving to next table, keep notes. They are rating you.

Before you go, what are your interests, hobbies, what do you do for fun? Then kick yourself for not doing any of them for quite some time. Don't talk about money, just say you've got enough. If they want to know how much you make, RUN. As far as jobs, yes I have one is good enough for this event.

Keep it light and casual. You've only got 5 minutes, talking about hobbies, fun things will fill that up.

Hope this helps, Don

skline
It does help Don, This event is 8 minutes per date. Not sure if I will wear the Island shirt but the Dockers and nice shoes will be worn. I want to be dapper but yet casual and something about a Hawaiian print shirt is just not what I think is classy to meet someone for the first time. I have a couple of them but save them for more casual events, like hanging out with Zois and the So Cal group. smile.gif Not trying to impress them.
Steve Thacker
Just dress as you normally do, when you clean-up. If anyone expects more than who and what you are day to day, then you are better off without them.

My sorry .02 cents worth.
mudfoot76
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Mar 26 2006, 11:10 PM)
[...]requires a woman to have the rare trait of being interested in someone or something other than herself and her entertainment.

smoke.gif Give me some of what you are smoking, please; the odds of locating one at a speed dating event are more slim than hitting the Powerball jackpot.

Basically, just go in with the mindset of "this is just for fun", act calm. Attire - depends on the location. If it is at the local pub, nice casual. If it is one of those more drawn out dinner events, dress to the level of the restaurant.

Don't mention car stuff unless she brings it up first - our obsession will be lost on the high-maintenance beeyatches who can't stand for you to pay attention to anything but them...
drewvw
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 27 2006, 07:37 AM)
It does help Don, This event is 8 minutes per date. Not sure if I will wear the Island shirt but the Dockers and nice shoes will be worn. I want to be dapper but yet casual and something about a Hawaiian print shirt is just not what I think is classy to meet someone for the first time. I have a couple of them but save them for more casual events, like hanging out with Zois and the So Cal group. smile.gif Not trying to impress them.

Sounds like you got some good intel to go on....

The points that keep getting reiterated are 1) Dress nice 2) Be yourself 3) Take some notes on the dames you like.

Your going to let us know how it turns out right?

skline
Of course I will, there will be a full report the next day to give my review of how I felt it went. It will be a few days after when I find out if there was any mutual interest going on. We will see.

In a way, it will either build my ego or shoot it down. I get shot down enough here so I am hoping it will boost it a little. It would be nice to find out if I still got it or not.
HarveyH
Barber Dave said:
i had a speed marriage ,lasted 7 weeks.

A guy I used to work with lived with a woman for six or eight months, they got married on Saturday, and she filed on Wednesday WTF.gif
Harvey
Aaron Cox
make sure you get some sleep the night before you go...... so your eyes asrent all bloodshot tongue.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Take a video camera and tape all your interviews so we can all watch and help you decide. laugh.gif

Elliot
drewvw
QUOTE (HarveyH @ Mar 27 2006, 09:05 AM)
Barber Dave said:

A guy I used to work with lived with a woman for six or eight months, they got married on Saturday, and she filed on Wednesday WTF.gif
Harvey

I don't want to hear that, I am getting married on Saturday!!!!

wacko.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (drewvw @ Mar 27 2006, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (HarveyH @ Mar 27 2006, 09:05 AM)
Barber Dave said:

Harvey

I don't want to hear that, I am getting married on Saturday!!!!

wacko.gif

Congratulations...38yrs and counting for me smilie_pokal.gif
dflesburg
Speed Dating... Geez!

Now if they could come up with Speed Divorce that would be good!!!

Half of all marriages end in Divorce, the other half end in death.

At this point either one sounds good to me....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.