Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much do you have into your 914 so far?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Trevorg7
It has been a while since I voted and I need to re-vote. Monday I get my car back from a paint and body trip to the tune of $4800.

T
orange914
ide have to say 7-8K including costs for repair after accident, had it for roughly 2 yrs

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

FINALLY

Click to view attachment
gary gartner

So I woul rather not add it up,
but since 1983 my receipt folder is about

______________ That thick driving.gif

JPB
Ah, way to much for still being at the paint shop. sad.gif
Spoke
Before Jan 5, 2006, 5:45PM, I had about $7K into my red 914 including all maintenance (Tires, alloys, wheel bearings, brake rotors, brake pads, oil, filters, rattle can paints, ...).

Then my car looked like this:
Click to view attachment

Insurance Co gave me $7K for my car and I kept the car so by Feb 2006, I was even $$-wise and I had a wrecked 914. I proceeded to spend the $7K on the green 914, 5-lug setup, wheels, tires, chrome bumpers, AC, insurance, title, transport, ...

So at this point, I'm in for about $7K.

Spoke
Joe Bob
Click to view attachment

Depending on how I calculate it.....over 12K, but my labor is free......add that at shop rate, more....

I purchased a 3.2 unfinished project, now on the road....

Click to view attachment
larryp
How much? Well let's put it this way, I could have had a very nice GT3.
jd74914
any pictures?
howell914
How much? Well let's put it this way, I could have had a very nice GT3.

Larry wait till u see it next time, may be a nice Porsche Carrera GT lol
gopack
Not sure what i voted when I tried to start this poll, but I am close to the top figure by now, and I still need paint and all the rubber and about 500 miscellaneous bits to get her on the road!
colorado_914
I'm in the $10,000 range.

But I just got my collector plates!!!!! No more tags for five years!!!

(but I just got issued a warning for a broken headlight. man, it's always something. lol )
GaroldShaffer
Well...........not including the price of the car I am at gasp $6500 so far, but it goes for body work & paint , oh and just ordered all my weather seals from GPR last week, so make that $7500. Sssshhh don't tell my wife unsure.gif
RON S.
I gotta add another $2500.00 to mine,I got my 930 front brake setup back from my powdercoater,and it's time to engage my early Christmas present.

Ron
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

The only reason I can ans. this is, my wife is gone for the day and can"t walk in on me and find out. In the area of $25,000 including purchase price. A lot yah,but I can't take it with me. Also i am 68 so no kids,house new and payed for
I tell her when she bitches, she smokes, I quite 30 yrs ago,that figures out to About $1,000.00 a yr. so i figure I have another $5,000.00 to go. Dave slap.gif
PeeGreen 914
well, thankfully the guy before me did the 25k conversion to a 6. I bought it for 12,500 and have spent another 4,000 so far. Thankfully I get all my parts at cost and do my own work or that would easily be another 25k.
QUOTE(colorado_914 @ Oct 30 2006, 10:45 AM) *

I'm in the $10,000 range.

But I just got my collector plates!!!!! No more tags for five years!!!

(but I just got issued a warning for a broken headlight. man, it's always something. lol )

I must be on the deep end.. i already have > 25,000.00 on my motor sad.gif
SirAndy
funny this old thread came to life today. i just had this disussion yesterday ...

i haven't added up the bills and i probably never will but my guesstimate is around ~40k to date ...

and i'll add a nice WEVO 915 sideshift box to the tab soon ...
screwy.gif Andy
LarryR
I am at 1500 for car + 2000 cage now but this year will be the year of the 914 bills

5000 engine
1000 trans
2000 paint
2000 chasis work
4500 suspension

hmmm ... maybe I should have purchased a finished car ... at least it will be
worth half that when I am done beerchug.gif
Gint
I've spent over $40k and mine is still an empty tub.
purple
Nice thread to resurrect.

I think I'm between 5-7k. I guess that makes me a newb?

3500 for the car
300 ignition
700 exhaust
200 gauges
200 wevo mounts
oh crap, i should have voted higher for all the random PP and AA stuff

christ, what have i done? i have bought a money pit
GTeener
I try not to remind myself how much money GTEENER has consumed headbang.gif

But then I drive her on a crisp clear day like today for the first time in months, and she's purring like I drove her yesterday. cheer.gif

MUCHAS GRACIAS LEEMON grouphug.gif

...Some people have drug addictions, some people have car addictions and I pity the people who suffer both! biggrin.gif
Todd Enlund
Hmmm... I'm in for $35 so far.

I traded services for the 914. I guess if you look at opportunity cost, I would have charged $800 for the services otherwise.

I bought a Momo steering wheel for $35. Can't find an adapter for a '71 /4 though.

Everything else that I have done so far has been disassembly and cleaning.

My estimate is that by the time I am done, I will have spent $20K. Still less than half the price of an Elise.

Edit: I forgot... I also spent $18 on vinyl to make new door panels.
orange914
QUOTE(RON S. @ Nov 3 2006, 07:59 AM) *

I gotta add another $2500.00 to mine,I got my 930 front brake setup back from my powdercoater,and it's time to engage my early Christmas present.

Ron

ron
nice wheels/stance! how 'bout a bigger picture

mike
jaminM3
$1000 for the car in parts
$850 for the 8" fuchs
$700 for the flair group buy
$850 for Len's heads
$150 for a new fender
$40 for Jack post kits
$100 for Misc
SO, I am at $3690 and I haven't done anything yet... sad2.gif
Rusty
smile.gif

Sleepin
I bought mine for $3500...gave the wife a ride in it...she wants one headbang.gif laugh.gif idea.gif so it automatically doubled my cost in minutes!
rusty914
$0.00 Mine was givin to me by a friend biggrin.gif
smokey

Just south of 50 K smoke.gif

this number realy meens nothing . I have what u want and will never sell her . the car will stay in the family also . I will send it down the chain . I will make sure it stays after i have passed . My brothers kid is in the Q now .
PeeGreen 914
Okay, so do you have any nieces or daughters or sisters... I could make this work biggrin.gif av-943.gif

porschecb
QUOTE(smokey @ Dec 16 2007, 09:36 PM) *

Just south of 50 K smoke.gif

this number realy meens nothing . I have what u want and will never sell her . the car will stay in the family also . I will send it down the chain . I will make sure it stays after i have passed . My brothers kid is in the Q now .

Doesen't have what I want. But if it did EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!!
jtf914
Bought it for 10K and have spent about 1500-2000 a year on it for the last 7 years, so I'm somewhere around 24000.... But I don't plan on ever selling it so it doesn't matter.
zx-niner
After parking my beater 914 five years ago, we recently sold our house due to a move and my wife let me "skim" some money off the top to get back into the 914 habit. I scrapped the poor rusted shell that sat in the back yard and found a rust free driver. Between the new 914 and an engine/tranny rebuild I sit at $20k. The only critical things left to do are new tires and minor upholstry work.

Of course, that doesn't count the fiddling I'll be doing anyway over time-- suspension work, 5-bolt conversion (already have parts from my poor departed donor), seal replacement, new stereo, A/C, etc.

On the plus side, I can now start dumping the seemingly warehouse worth of parts I've been storing for years. It's tough to get rid of stuff when you don't know where you're going with your future car.
J P Stein
The slippery slope is not a straight line but more like a Giant Slalom and I still haven't passed the finish gate, I'm afraid. I have a 2 inch thick pile of receipts (which I will not total) but they are pretty meaningless. Swapping parts in and out, then selling the "outs" (no receipts here) makes tracking the cost impossible. The only way to do it would be to inventory the car at this stage but I have better things to do.
I bought the car 10-12 years back & have made a few changes.
PeeGreen 914
I don't see any difference biggrin.gif
ericread
Ok. I picked up my 74 2.0L FI on February 25, 2007. Purchased for $3,500.00. Very little rust (no structural problems) Lots of "weird" stuff, like a totally odd (non porsche) alternator on a broken mount. Lots of little items to fix. Bad paint. But very good fundamentals. I drive the 914 to work (and back) every day - it is my daily driver.

One year later, here are the numbers:
Miles Driven: 15,880
Maintenance Professional Services: $2,088.40
Maintenance Parts: $ 1,093.08
Auto Insurance (12 months, Unlimited Miles, Dailyn Driver): $1,200.00
Gas (690.44 Gallons @ Ave $3.20/Gallon): $2,209.41
Oil (30 Qts @ $3.50/Qt): $105.00
Total Amount Expended: 6,609.89
Operating cost per mile: $0.4217

Notes:
1. Cost of car is not included in operating expenses or Operating Cost per Mile.
2. I am a noob to turning a wrench. Prior to March of 2007, I hadn't worked on a car since probably back in 1975. I am a computer geek, so wrench skills were not in my repertoire. My experience is that through the BBS's and the tech articles, there is plenty of step-by-step instructions which makes most maintenance fairly easy. I am performing almost all of my wrenching myself lately, and thoroughly enjoying it.
3. Knowing what I know now (2/25/08) I would have performed all of the professional services myself. I really do not feel I got $2,000 worth of work performed.
4. I have recorded times where I have achieved up to 29 MPG. However, my heavy foot keeps my combined driving at between 23 MPG and 25 MPG.
5. I keep every expense documented in several tabs of a dedicated worksheet.
6. All work is performed via cash - no expenses are being placed on a credit card. This makes my work spread out but financially manageable. I have budgeted about $200.00 per month for parts through December of 2008.

I hope this helps to dispell the "high" cost of owning/maintaining a 914. If you are patient, it can be done on a budget.

Eric Read
orange914
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 25 2008, 08:29 PM) *

I drive the 914 to work (and back) every day - it is my daily driver.

I hope this helps to dispell the "high" cost of owning/maintaining a 914. If you are patient, it can be done on a budget.

Eric Read

agree.gif welcome.png

mike
PeeGreen 914
This thread really needs to go away. Every time I see it I close my eyes and tell myself I have only put $10 into my car... biggrin.gif I really don;t want to know as I know the real number is way up there.
Root_Werks
Almost 400 votes as of this post. Interesting to see where folks are at or think they are at $$$ wise with thier 914's. I guessed before I voted that most would fall right around $10k or so because there is still such a greater amount of 4cyl cars out there than 6's. Regardless, our numbers continue to dwindle each year and this "money into your 914" will continue to rise each year as well as less parts are made or NOS parts become NLA even in peoples personal stash. It would be cool to see this thread started fresh once a year. idea.gif
Zardozz
I figure I'm in the low 10k range atm. That # will be going up shortly with my new turbo plum, fenders, rims, rockers, seats and whatnots.

toomanyinkc
~$2000 and hundreds of hours of labor. Maybe not worth the parts that I've put into it. Still pisses oil on the exhaust and the garage floor.
ericread
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Dec 14 2007, 01:25 PM) *

Hmmm... I'm in for $35 so far.

I traded services for the 914. I guess if you look at opportunity cost, I would have charged $800 for the services otherwise.

I bought a Momo steering wheel for $35. Can't find an adapter for a '71 /4 though.

Everything else that I have done so far has been disassembly and cleaning.

My estimate is that by the time I am done, I will have spent $20K. Still less than half the price of an Elise.

Edit: I forgot... I also spent $18 on vinyl to make new door panels.

Todd;

The adapter number for MOMO is made up of the last four digits of the MOMO part number. For an item I sold last year on eBay, the MOMO part number was 12112110230, so the corresponding adapter number was 0230.

MOMOUSA is located in Santa Margurita, CA, which is about 3 miles from where I live. PM me with your MOMO part number and description, and I should be able to provide you with the adapter number and possibly, a few references of where to buy the part.

Eric Read (no affiliation to MOMO)

Todd Enlund
That's the one that I had... Momo 230... but it is for a 914-6 or early 911. The splines are the same, but the cancelling ring and mounting depth are different than my car (a '71 914-4). I think I have a solution... I gave my adapter to someone that is installing an early 911 column, and in exchange, I will receive a '74 column with a Momo adapter biggrin.gif

From what I've been able to tell, Momo did make an adapter for the early 914-4, but it was a race-only part (non-collapsible hub) and has been long discontinued.

I've got a bit more than $35 in my car now... unfortunately, most of the money that I've spent so far has gone to people that appear to have ripped me off. I did get a good deal on a 2.0 core and a 78mm crank though biggrin.gif

I'm about to throw $1300 at flares and sheetmetal for the iron moths.

QUOTE(ericread @ Jul 5 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Todd;

The adapter number for MOMO is made up of the last four digits of the MOMO part number. For an item I sold last year on eBay, the MOMO part number was 12112110230, so the corresponding adapter number was 0230.

MOMOUSA is located in Santa Margurita, CA, which is about 3 miles from where I live. PM me with your MOMO part number and description, and I should be able to provide you with the adapter number and possibly, a few references of where to buy the part.

ericread
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jul 6 2008, 10:21 PM) *

That's the one that I had... Momo 230... but it is for a 914-6 or early 911. The splines are the same, but the cancelling ring and mounting depth are different than my car (a '71 914-4). I think I have a solution... I gave my adapter to someone that is installing an early 911 column, and in exchange, I will receive a '74 column with a Momo adapter biggrin.gif

From what I've been able to tell, Momo did make an adapter for the early 914-4, but it was a race-only part (non-collapsible hub) and has been long discontinued.

I've got a bit more than $35 in my car now... unfortunately, most of the money that I've spent so far has gone to people that appear to have ripped me off. I did get a good deal on a 2.0 core and a 78mm crank though biggrin.gif

I'm about to throw $1300 at flares and sheetmetal for the iron moths.

QUOTE(ericread @ Jul 5 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Todd;

I'm glad you got the problem sorted out - good luck! beerchug.gif

Eric

MrZir
$1300 so far, but as can be seen below, I have a long way to go. I have that feeling of looking down the precipice, the moment after you jumped.

Click to view attachment

ericread
QUOTE(MrZir @ Jul 7 2008, 11:29 AM) *

$1300 so far, but as can be seen below, I have a long way to go. I have that feeling of looking down the precipice, the moment after you jumped.

Click to view attachment

At least you've got your storage space all worked out! lol3.gif

6freak
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 6 2006, 09:31 PM) *

More than one of these...

i would trade mine for one of those see post #48
RON S.
QUOTE(orange914 @ Dec 14 2007, 04:41 PM) *

QUOTE(RON S. @ Nov 3 2006, 07:59 AM) *

Ron

ron
nice wheels/stance! how 'bout a bigger picture

mike

This is the kinda thread that'll never go away. I mean that as long as we keep zand love our teeners we'll always be spending $$$$ on upkeep, and the ever elusive must have goodie that we just gotta buy and put on the car.
My personal collection of receipts over the last ten years is an entire drawer.They'd easily stack 6-8 inches thick. I'm into it for a good 40k by now.
I'm sure I'll quit with it when they are shoveling dirt over my head. Then it'll pass to the granddaughter.

Ron
SGB
lovely...

nice car, too.
iamchappy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 6 2006, 11:31 PM) *

More than one of these...

This is great..... Qarl has the most invested for a car, a shell still on jack stands and parts piratenanner.gif still in boxes...
iamchappy
As for me, Brad Penn Oil 13qts of it every 3,000 miles, I could use a better holding clutch disc, maybe a dual boost controller, a bigger stronger transmission, axles, cv's ect. ect ect.
Let me know if i need or am forgetting anything else....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.