Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much do you have into your 914 so far?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
iamchappy
More $ and more $ and more $ everyday. It's starting to bum $ me $ out $.
Have you ever seen the budget deficit clock in real time.

http://www.toptips.com/debtclock.html
gopack
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 5 2006, 07:37 AM) *

I fixed the poll. Should we fish out the topic? It's a good one.

Thanks. I tried to start a poll a while ago, but it showed up all messed up, so I figured I was just a dumb ass, and deleted the topic!

It looks like I MIGHT end up under $25k if I try real hard. The body shop is costing me too fuching much!

I meant for the total cost of purchases, including maintenance parts, purchase price and upgrades, but not tires and routine maintenance like oil changes.
For example I included clutch parts etc. because it was all added up for me in the PP order status page.
Downunderman
6 figures, but i'm never ever going to add it up.
Randal
I had more than $25K in the car, including the purchase price, when I was still running BP.

The cost to go to FM should have been less than $5K, but it ended up being twice that.

Going to AX2, with the new motor - - - - OMG I don't want to add it up as that would ruin the first nice day we have had in Northern California in 45 days.

tat2dphreak
I think I added it all up once and it was around 8k, not counting that it will need a paint job before long...
tracks914
I kept a spreadsheet and put everything into it. I did ALL the work myself and spent just over 10K. The only labour I paid for was $75 to have a good body man put the last of 5 clearcoats on for me to save me some wet sanding and $90 to have the side bolsters on the seats replaced. Next Time I will do it all myself.
pek771
$4500...race roller with wheels (from a fellow club member)
$500...plain jane -4 side shift box
$3000...2.7 -6 not yet finished

Still needs tires, clutch, fuel cell, some misc stuff before it sees the track.
pek771
$4500...race roller with wheels (from a fellow club member)
$500...plain jane -4 side shift box
$3000...2.7 -6 not yet finished

Still needs tires, clutch, fuel cell, some misc stuff before it sees the track.
Howard
barf.gif
Katmanken
Let's see...

1974 1.8 hi mileage with decent hell hole and dented body-$1800
1974 2.0 lo mileage rustbucket w/2 new virgin heads, primo interior and new bursch in box $300
All new everythings for engine, some tranny parts, all brake parts $3.5 k
5 Fuchs $600
Narballa header $300
SSI heater boxes $400
Programmable EFI W/sensors, $300
Spare engine kit, carbs, tin, 96mm OEM NPR big bores in box, bearings, seals, etc $300

Wow.... $7.5 k blink.gif

Ken
DEC
In my -4 overall more than 12k in my -6 never ending story...... confused24.gif

If I invest the money for the -6 in beer I will be an alcoholic beerchug.gif
BMXerror
I've had my car for about a month and a half and my records show that I've spent $3053.67, but that doesn't include fluids and tools and stuff. That's just parts and the price of the car. I was saving to buy a much 'nicer'(newer) project car, but I ended up picking this teener up for 600 bucks that had been sitting for about 7 years. I've had to do all the things that need to be done with a car that's been sitting so long, but I'm happy with the perchase. It's a much cooler car than what I was looking at. BTW, I'm supposed to get some help me put the engine and tranny in today. mueba.gif After the money I've spent and the work I've done, I'm very anxious to get some results. I've never even driven a teener before. Wish me luck.
Mark D.
Chogokin
Damn... Thats why she is so pissed about that car! I've dumped over $5k in it in the 1 year I've had it icon8.gif and still only scratched the surface! (good thing it was a wedding present, she'd never make me get rid of it biggrin.gif)
JPB
I will be in the low 10% even with a spare motor, paint job, purchase price and parts! How did that happen?

piratenanner.gif Crazy banana superiority dance?

pain30.gif Nah, kept the money crappin to a limit, so farrrrr.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Do you include the price of jackstands in the cost of ownership?

Cost of 914 ownership for the past 31 years.....incalculable.

Pride of 914 ownership for the past 31 years....boundless.

Look on wifey's face if I share the total $$$ amount....priceless! biggrin.gif
jd74914
I've spent 1388.05 on my car (including the purchase price) to fix all of the rust and make it drivable (that included a budget engine rebuild). The only piece of the pie thats missing now is the cost of paint.
Rand
If you actually keep track, and keep records, do it for insurance purposes just in case.

Just me.... Beyond that I don't even think about it. It's a hobby. Doesn't matter what it costs. I bought my car for $2000. Have bought a couple hundred in parts tops. The rest is hobby history. Surely I've put more time and money into it, but that's my reward.

To me it's about the enjoyment of the process. If it becomes about the $$$ then it's not fun anymore.
magaoidh
I have spent a small fortune on emails, faxes and phone calls just searching for a 914!!! Ha ha ha etc etc etc.
E-Man
This begs the next question.

Of the parts you bought, how many are installed on the car?

Do I count the shed I bought to store it in the winter? In 2000. Which is now filled with 914 parts purchased to install on the car? Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Someone invent a Jetson's 914 Rosie PLEASE.

$14K at last count.
grantsfo
In 5 years I have put about $25K in the car put that includes 4 years of driving the 1.8 engine and making tons of upgrades. It also includes the six conversion, bodywork, paint, fibergalss, etc.
J P Stein
I don't count the 20K shop built to store a 15K car.....I'm too smart for that huh.gif
Brew
I've got ~$3k in mine, and I've been driving it almost daily, as well as one DE, since I bought it last August. The $20k garage goes up this fall, but I'd have had to build it whether or not I bought the 914. Now, it's just that much more justifiable.
Doug Leggins
I did not keep track of the receipts along the way of the rebuild process. I did this intentionally biggrin.gif My project is a great hobby, NOT an investment!

I sat in the "library" the other day and flipped through the 914 section of the Mid America Direct catalog. I no longer need to buy any of the parts they have in the catalog -that must be $$$$.
elocke
I was gonna vote twice; for each car, but ya can't. I voted regarding my '70 1.7, which I'll gladly fess up to, including a list I prepared recently. I even brag about it to my wife wub.gif
But I would never add up the V8 car (doghouse smiley).
racerbvd
Well, with money in the 6, I could have a 986S paid for, but it still wouldn't be a 914 beer.gif The 4 banger, well just a good used SC. dead horse.gif
GTeener
More $$$$ in it than I can get out of it drunk.gif
ptravnic
In the 10+yrs of ownership, prob 10K to 20K. Loose range b/c I got it while in college on a v limited budget then started working and making decent money & bought lots of stuff on a whim - much of which is extra "just in case" parts.

I added up receipts last summer and got close to $10k, and thats the receitps that I kept...

The times spent w/my old man and the volumes of books which could be written about the joy/pain of rebuilding & keeping the putt putts running is priceless. Lots of good times drinking beer after a long day of garage work - kackling like hyena's... Times I'll remember when he's long gone - which no price tag can do justice.

-pt
nycchef
a thousand more than i had last week
sandman
$9000K for roller
$1000K shipping
$1000K to rebuild motor
$1000K misc. parts

$1000K in ETOH to drown my sorrow over car

olav
QUOTE(sandman @ Jun 5 2006, 07:45 PM) *

$9000K for roller
$1000K shipping
$1000K to rebuild motor
$1000K misc. parts

$1000K in ETOH to drown my sorrow over car

WOW 12,000,000 dollars! Yikes! smile.gif
ovilla
Too afraid to add up all the receipts for fear that my wife may some day read this post. On the other hand, I must say that my stash of old/new parts is easily over 2K by now (even have ONE deep six - no calls please! Unless you have a matching deep six to sell me). Also, thinking back I must say that I had barely any tools before I bought my first 914. Now, I have a Sear's tool box taller than me with enough tools to easily open up a garage. That's probably the best part of the whole adventure.
RON S.
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Apr 5 2006, 10:34 PM) *

I'm at $25K+, it would be higher, but you didn't offer the $30K barrier.... wink.gif and it's still a POS....

Bill P.

Gosh Bill,

Our cars gotta be twins.

8 years of working on it,and saved EVERY receipt.

The wife is afraid to audit the bills to get an accurate total. w00t.gif

But,its a real 914/6 993engined,915trans'd,18"wheeled over the top car.

That's ours. owned.gif
nine14cats
Hi Ron,

Yep, I've got every receipt for every car build I've done on the Porsche's. And I've added them up....very ugly..... blink.gif

What a sickness I have.... happy11.gif

Bill P.
Gary#
blink.gif
Hereyago-
dekman
I think the "KEY" is to pace yourself. Yea, the total now is a big number...but I've enjoyed every step. I have a vintage car that drives like a sports car and "it's paid for!" Still having fun... piratenanner.gif
sherman1
I voted in the 15K-25K range, although that's over a 25 year span, since I bought it in 1981...and, a large chunk of that expense has gone to fund High Performance House blink.gif though, it is one of the best 914 shops in Nor-Cal.

You're welcome, Rich & Larry! beerchug.gif
Ken

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dekman
Beautiful original 914 Ken....there is something very clean about your narrow bodied car. When I bought mine, it was bare metal with the flares already welded on. so I went with the GT look.
sherman1
QUOTE(dekman @ Jun 8 2006, 12:18 AM) *

Beautiful original 914 Ken....there is something very clean about your narrow bodied car. When I bought mine, it was bare metal with the flares already welded on. so I went with the GT look.

Thanks Dekman,

This '71 has been a labor of love for me all these years, and worth every bit of it, too. I eventually plan to drop-in a fresh 2.0 with side-shifter, although I've always wanted to keep her as original as possible. But that is getting harder & harder to do, as more parts become NLA every day. Meantime, the current rebuilt 1.7 is still very quick & responsive.

And, I often remind the wife that I've had it longer than I've had her happy11.gif , but she understands, for the most part...

Best,
Ken
Pompano Beach 914V8
Is it bad if if I have spent over 20K?

over 25K?

over 30K?

I have spent more than my (used) boxster S cost.........is that bad?

My name is ___________ and I have a 914problem.

The good part of having a 914 instead of being an alchoholic is that you don't have to go to all those meetings!

Someday it will be finished, but not while I'm alive.
JPB
As of now I'd like to adjust my total down since some parts have been sold and this takes me over 1K down from the previous total down to 4K. biggrin.gif

beer.gif Hate me!
wbergtho
Sherman1,

That is the cleanest 914 I've seen in a long time. I love the white!
Twystd1
Lemme see,

A type IV built by Henry SChmidt at Super Tech. (2.5 litre) (150 HP)

A Flared body.

Accusump set up. (Yet to be installed with a front cooler)

911 front end

Drilled rears for 5 bolt.

James Adams shifter. (the best IMHO)

Powder coated gas tank.

Fresh trans with all new sliders and syncros.

Total so far.

3600.00 So Far.

I assume I will have about 7-8K in this car when done. No more.

I am half done in my book...

And I have enough spare parts to build two more.!!!!!

Clayton
Pat Garvey
According to my records, which don't include the cost of oil & filters (non-dealer), I have just under 12K in mine. If you add the non-recorded items - add another grand.

But that's 34 years of ownership & a major repaint in 1979. That's less than $400/year, excluding gas & insurance.

I think I'll keep it!
JPB
Clay, ya be slaying da pocket book broo!!! Yaaa.

beer.gif Money well spent biggrin.gif
55K sad.gif
jd74914
If you don't mind me asking, whats in your car?
pfierb
Mine pays me dividends every time I drive or look at it.
Mountain914
I keep no receipts, I'm in denial. huh.gif
Maybe I'm just keeping it looking good for the next owner ? screwy.gif
But - I think you know where I voted.... over 25 (sigh).
sean_v8_914
is the question about just one 914 or my 914 habbit? do they have a 12 step program for 914 addicts?
Lou W
The original owner of my teener was my cousin, he bought it in 1974 and he gave it to me in 1990. He put alot of miles on it, he loved that car and took very good care of it, he drove it all over Kalifornia. Unfortunatly for him, he had no mechanical skills what so ever. I think every month or so he would type out a list of items that needed attention and drop it off at the local Porsche repair shop, the lists were pretty amazing. It seems like he spent a good $275.00 to $500.00 everytime it was in the shop. The car was very well maintained, but damn, he spent alot of money on it. blink.gif I've started totalling up all the work done on the car a couple of times, but it really freaked me out.

I don't think I could afford to spend the money that he spent maintaining it as a DD and having a shop do the work.

I am keeping track of the cost of the rebuild that I am currently doing on it, but fortunatly, I'm doing most of the work myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.