Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A year of planning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
seanery
I'm at a swap today.
call my cell if you want brad's

three 1 seven five 5 seven 1 two five 7 (sorry to do that, but incase farmers are out there I make it a bit more difficult)
TheCabinetmaker
Today was a good day. Here's a few pics of the finished product ready to go back in. That will be in the morning when I have a few guys to come by and help for a couple of hours. I spent 14 hours today putting it all back together. I know Brad and the rest of you Guru's could have done it faster, but this being my first time, I still feel good about it. Speed was not the issue. Doing it right was. All the hoses and wires have found their proper place (I hope). I was very careful to label everything. This has been an awesome experience. I can't begin to list the things I have learned . If any of you have contemplated doing this on your own, I can only say "Go for it". I have spent a few sleepless nights from the fear of biting off more than I could chew, but it's been worth it. Seeing the finished product ready to go back in is one of the most rewarding feelings I have ever had. Hopefully, tomorrow will write the final chapter to this saga.

Wish me luck and say a prayer to the 914 gods.

Curt
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
I need this peice of tin(ac went away).
seanery
Good Luck!!!!!!!!
Qarl
Alright... Sounds like you did a great job.

By the looks of your avatar, you seem proud. You should be!!!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
Kickass VSG clap56.gif clap56.gif

Let us know how it runs. I only see some minor issues with your harness routing.. besides that nothing jumping out at me. Typically the harness runs underneath the runners (it still runs.. so dont sweat it).

This thread should be an inspiration to all those that are *thinking* about diggining into their own engines.

B
TheCabinetmaker
Yes I did some rerouting of the fi harness before it went in. Did a comp test before reinstalling motor.
120,110,120,125. Reinstall took 45 minutes from raising the car, to cinching the four mount bolts. It actually was quicker and easier to go in than to come out. Another two hours to hook up all connections, hoses, shift rod, clutch cable, blah, blah, blah. Fired and ran on the first turn, but hunted idle between 2 to 3K. Hmm, vacuum leak? Found one intake manifold that I had missed tightening the bolts. Fired it again and smooth as silk. That was the only thing I missed. EVERYTHING else was as it should be. Didn't even think of getting new cv joint gaskets, and the old ones were shit, so I'll get those tomorrow, and we'll be on the road.
smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif boldblue.gif mueba.gif dance.gif

Then as I'm doing the dance of 914 happiness, a 73, 1.7, signal orange, drives up sounding like pure shit. We had saw this guys car broke down in a parking lot about 6 months ago, and left a note on his car. He came for some help. After checking a few things and giving him the 3rd degree, discovered he had changed the pushrod seals, and failed to readjust the valves afterward. Oh boy, here we go again. I'll pull the valve covers, and see if any thing is amiss. If not, I'll do the adjustment and see what happens. It was very hard to tell him the worst case scenario.
We'll attack that on a new thread.

Thanks for all the support.

As for Brads comment about this being an inspiration: I am a cabinetmaker, not a mechanic. The last time i was inside a motor was 1980 and invloved a very simple 235 chevy six. If i can do this, so can you.

See ya in Hot Springs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheCabinetmaker
Last post by me on this thread. She's alive!!!
Just took her on a first test drive and everything seems to fine. One valve sounds a little loose. I'll drive a while this evening and checkit out in the morning.

Thanks to all who have followed my progress.
A special thanks to Brad for the "motivation" LOL

See ya guys in Hot Springs.
Jeff Bonanno
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.