Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MYTHBUSTERS: Did Gugelot really design the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SirAndy
QUOTE(DEC @ May 9 2006, 11:21 AM) *

last one

thank you sir! smilie_pokal.gif

i'm still amazed that that clay model actually survived ...

what a find! thanks for posting the pics, wilco ..
beerchug.gif Andy
DEC
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2006, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(DEC @ May 9 2006, 11:21 AM) *

last one

thank you sir! smilie_pokal.gif

i'm still amazed that that clay model actually survived ...

what a find! thanks for posting the pics, wilco ..
beerchug.gif Andy

No problem..... givemebeer.gif

If you are looking for any further missing stuff
let me know this.

I will see what I can do.

Wilco aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
this place is the best. period.
JeffBowlsby
Hmmm... 2 different models... biggrin.gif

Compare them and see the differences...

Twystd1
I had no idea this data existed.

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

I am so grateful that you guys take the time to show this kind of history with us...

Just very kewl stuff..!!!!!!!

Regards,
Twystd1
DEC
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 9 2006, 11:08 AM) *

Hmmm... 2 different models... biggrin.gif

Compare them and see the differences...

Jeff,
the pics I posted today shows the same model.
But it was more than one times redesigned.
See also page 21 and 22 in the DGVWPB.

Don't hesitate to make your own inquirys
but I know you will have the same result.

Wilco aktion035.gif
rickyhgarcia
Great info!!!
johannes
Gugelot has been misspelled (gudelot) on the 914garage.com french website.
Now you can read gudelot on all the french websites ...
That's the way rumors and wrong informations spread all over the Web ... dry.gif

By the way, this is one of the most interresting thread I ever read ! I love this place clap56.gif
sixerdon
Fabulous information, Wilco! We've all learned a little bit more on the history of the 914's beginnings. You rate "member of the week" in my book.
Don
Eric_Shea
Who are you!?! confused24.gif

You come in here and between the clay model and the factory restoration photos, single handedly smoke virtually every post that's been put on these pages! smilie_pokal.gif

(Andy, please translate the American English vernacular to Wilco... Wilco, it's a good thing)

WTFingG!!!

welcome.png
So.Cal.914
Thanks Wilco. Great Pics! smoke.gif
DEC
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 9 2006, 05:50 PM) *

Who are you!?! confused24.gif

cool_shades.gif smoke.gif cool.gif wink.gif
Bleyseng
Wow, amazing photos of the model and thanks for posting. The 914 always has seemed to be a interesting German style car, similar to the German styling of the 60's to me.

Ah, heck what do I know stuck here is Suriname now. popcorn[1].gif
DEC
QUOTE(DEC @ May 5 2006, 11:03 AM) *

Hello Andy
The Klie clay model is existing today. wub.gif
A 914-friend got the model as a gift from Mr. Klie as he bought his very early
This clay model is a unique 914 how the Klie real 914 with many different parts
as the series.

Wilco aktion035.gif

Correction huh.gif

Today I had a telephone call with Norbert.
He told me that the Klie 914 is a 1970 model with first licence in 1973.
The car was more than two years in the Porsche test department and have
many different parts.
The side vents in the dash are allegeable with this Informations.
The dash part you can see on the attached photo is from the Klie 914.
If you have the DGVWPB (Andy) compare this with the photo side 25 in the
upper right corner.

Further Informations about the Klie 914 will follow.

Wilco aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Gustl
Wilco, I'm really impressed about all this fascinating material and data you're posting here thumb3d.gif

did you ever post something of this stuff at the PFF idea.gif
I can't remember seeing this before cool_shades.gif

anyhow ... it seems that you choose this place the right to be clap56.gif

keep on posting beerchug.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
DEC
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 10 2006, 11:56 AM) *

Wilco, I'm really impressed about all this fascinating material and data you're posting here thumb3d.gif

did you ever post something of this stuff at the PFF idea.gif
I can't remember seeing this before cool_shades.gif

anyhow ... it seems that you choose this place the right to be clap56.gif

keep on posting beerchug.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

Wolfgang,
hab ich nicht und werde ich auch nicht bis....
ja bis jemand so einen Thread startet. chairfall.gif

Wilco aktion035.gif

Explanation: PFF is the german Porsche Fan Forum

Excuse me that I answer this post in german.
Gustl
QUOTE(DEC @ May 10 2006, 10:34 PM) *

Excuse me that I answer this post in german.

well ... that's o.k. for me av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DEC @ May 10 2006, 12:09 PM) *

Today I had a telephone call with Norbert.
He told me that the Klie 914 is a 1970 model with first licence in 1973.
The car was more than two years in the Porsche test department and have
many different parts.
The side vents in the dash are allegeable with this Informations.
The dash part you can see on the attached photo is from the Klie 914.
If you have the DGVWPB (Andy) compare this with the photo side 25 in the
upper right corner.

looks to be the same car! piratenanner.gif

DGVWPB, page 25, upper right hand corner, caption says (losely translated):

"The electronical Check-System was omitted from the production cars to keep the price down."

the car has some '73 features, dash sidevents, center console. i'm guessing this picture was taken somewhere after '73, after klie had "updated" the car ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Mueller
"The electronical Check-System was omitted from the production cars to keep the price down."

do you have a description of what this did and how??
SirAndy
more pictures of the clay model ...

NOTE: on the second pic, you can see the normal single headlight versus the dual-headlight, which was only build once, on what is now Dr. Piech's red 914-8 ...

rocking nana.gif Andy

PS: these pictures appear to be from the latest stages of the clay model as it is almost exactly the same as the current pictures wilco posted.
even the license plate matches! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 10 2006, 02:02 PM) *

do you have a description of what this did and how??

yes. electronical self-diagnostic system. for each circuit, there is a diagnostic light (above the knobs), when you turn on the ignition, the system runs a self test, and if a circuit fails the test, the warning light will stay on ...

thumb3d.gif Andy
sixerdon
So the Klie 914 was a factory test mule. Which factory??
Could be an early 1970 model? The VIN number and other chassis infomation would help us.
Fascinating!

Don
DEC
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 10 2006, 02:17 PM) *

So the Klie 914 was a factory test mule. Which factory??
Could be an early 1970 model? The VIN number and other chassis infomation would help us.
Fascinating!

Don

Thanks Andy for cleaning and updating the website clap56.gif

@Dan
1)In the Porsche Design center
2)The VIN comes at last wink.gif
3)Firstable two further pics...
The passenger foot rest

Click to view attachment
DEC
The interior back wall from the Klie 914

Click to view attachment
DEC
Dan,
Here is the maintenance book with the VIN shocked[1].gif

I post the pics how I get these. burnout.gif

Remember.....its not my car

Wilco

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(DEC @ May 18 2006, 01:27 PM) *

Here is the maintenance book with the VIN

so it's a fairly late '71 ...

VIN: 471 29 10319

remember that europeans write the 1 like you guys write a 7, and the 7 always with a horizontal line, so don't get confused there ...

Engine #: 0080472

the dealer started this maintenance booklet on "03/19/1974", the owner is listed as "Heinrich Klie" ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
DEC
here are any pics from the "Klie" 914

split mid console

Click to view attachment

looks like selfmade blink.gif

Click to view attachment
DEC
one pic from the Klie model with the original bumper

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
Danke, grobe abbildungen und informationen halten sie ihn zu kommen. Nehmen

sie ihn einfach. smoke.gif
DEC
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 20 2006, 10:48 AM) *

Danke, grobe abbildungen und informationen halten sie ihn zu kommen. Nehmen

sie ihn einfach. smoke.gif

ÄHHHHHH
What do you mean ?

A funny translation av-943.gif

Please write this in english once more wacko.gif

Wilco aktion035.gif

1970 Neun vierzehn
Wilco,
Does the "Klie 914" have the early dash-mount wiper switch(another telltale of an early /4), or had it been updated with the later column-mounted stalk? Do you know what is happening with this car? Restoration? Refurbishment? Parts car(hope not)?
Thanks for all your contributions and input, this is interesting and fascinating history! clap56.gif

Danke!
DEC
The "Klie 914" has the later column-mounted stalk.
This 914 is a really unique car, many parts and configurations are
made by the Porsche development.
The owner of this car is a real 914-fan and he is restoring the car welder.gif
to bring it back on the street.

Wilco

So.Cal.914
smoke.gif Thanks for the pictures and the information. Keep it coming.

Take it easy.

My spanish is better.
The Swede
Let me help you develop this matter, although it may be periferic:

Re: Some Background:
In the early 60s, Gugelot together with the Bayer-Werke designed a plastic car that was based on a BMW.
Like the 914, this car separated itself from others through it's clear-cut lines. The car pictured in
Ludvigsens "Bible" and wrongly labeled the "Gugelot-Auto" was in fact a one-off prototype that never
made production.

Gugelot did design an interesting Swedish sports car called OBC Mantorp (after a racing course in Sweden). OBC was founded by a German, Mr. Ottmar Beckmann, who turned to Gugelot to complete his own design ideas. The car was supposed to be made of a core of polyurethan draped in glassfibre and had a mid-engine BMW engine, ranging from 100 to 200 hp. It never reached production since the project ran out of money but a completely new factory was built in Swedish town Klippan (on the west coast) in 1973-74. The car itself was constructed in a shed just by the Swedish racing course Falkenberg. I'll try to submit pictures of the only prototype (from the brochure that was made) as soon as possible. It doesn't look like a 914 at all, but has much in common with the BMW M1. And – there are gullwing doors!
Best regards from The Swede.
SGB
Thanks for sharing! smile.gif
highways
I'd like to nominate this thread for classic status, as it seems to have dissappeared since the shuffle.

beerchug.gif
Derek Seymour
This is one of the best threads I have ever read on any forum... period. It felt like a treasure hunt.. or something like it... fun exciting stuff!
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

This IS super cool. I know its been awhile, but thanks Andy and Wilco for the treasure!

beer.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE(fitsbain @ May 3 2006, 02:04 PM) *

"ACHTUNG!

Das machine ist nicht fur gerfingerpoken und der mittengraben!
Ist easy schnappin der shpringerwerk!
Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen.
Das rubbernecken sightseeren geekendope shotz keepen das hands in das pocketz.
Relaxen und watchin das blinkinlights."

laugh.gif
that was frickin' funny

there is NO way i'll ever see the Gugelot design has anything in common with the 914.
i'll just point to the front. you can't look at that beak and think 914. it's pure french-ugly.

the 'fleur

p.s. i had no idea this thread was so old...
Tom_T
QUOTE(highways @ Dec 26 2006, 02:27 PM) *

I'd like to nominate this thread for classic status, as it seems to have dissappeared since the shuffle.

beerchug.gif

Surprised you didn't nominate it for the "Comfy Chair" award! biggrin.gif

Great read from all! beerchug.gif

Personally, with Porsche offering their own design services for many outside firms since its inception post-WWII - including many VW designs, some of which made it to production - why would one doubt that they could indeed design the 914, even if a departure from the 356-911/912 lines. You can look at the 924 to 968 & 928 chain as another set of departures. idea.gif

Frankly, I think the Froggies are spreading that Gugelot rumor! ...you know - "I fart in your general direction!" & how the French & Germans have always poke.gif each other! ...and this comes from a wacko.gif part German, French, English, Irish & Cherokee/Seneca Indian mix-mash M.Python fan!! biggrin.gif

The clay models show a clear line of development on the final version.

It would also be "very interesting" to see some pix of the other 4 schemes in competition with Mr. K's scheme - type.gif if anyone runs across something to post here. shades.gif

Cheers! popcorn[1].gif
johannes
Frankly, I think the Froggies are spreading that Gugelot rumor
Nothing to do with the french. The source of the Gugelot story is the Karl Ludvigsen's book "excellence was expected". Karl is not french.
Tom_T
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 9 2009, 12:58 AM) *

Frankly, I think the Froggies are spreading that Gugelot rumor
Nothing to do with the french. The source of the Gugelot story is the Karl Ludvigsen's book "excellence was expected". Karl is not french.

Just "pulling your legs" collectively, Johannes - no harm intended! smile.gif

BTW - Do you know if Gugelot was French - as I had thought - or Belgian or ?? confused24.gif

I think Ludvigsen himself was a Swede or a Dane or somewhere other than Germany himself, so it's really an international circle of rumor & innuendo.

Long's book below, in particular, does a good job of a quick debunking of the "Gugelot Theory". Personally - and as a design professional myself - I see no more than a passing similarity in some features of Gugelot's & others' designs, with the 914's styling - which often happens in what is often referred to as parallel development or innovation (2 disconnected groups/persons developing something similar but separately).

Heck, if one could claim being the genesis or authorship of a design simply by having done something similar previously, then I could claim so on the Mazda Miata & BMW Z3/Z4 on the basis of a scketch which I did for my college applications' portfolio way back in 1969/70! idea.gif

For all interested - in addition to Brett Johnson's 914 tome, I recently got 2 really interesting & useful 914 resource books, that talk about some of this history of the design (Long) & worth the pix alone, & a compendium of past articles (Clarke), which are available online from the usual suspects Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon, PP, Pelican, etc. as listed below:

"Porsche 914 & 914-6", 2nd Ed., Brian Long, Veloce Publishing, Dorchester, UK, ISBN 1845840303

"Porsche 914 - Ultimate Portfolio", compiled by R.M. Clarke, Brooklands Books, Surrey, UK, ISBN 1855204320

Enjoy the read! Tom smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 9 2009, 12:14 PM) *

Do you know if Gugelot was French - as I had thought - or Belgian or ??

German, with Dutch ancestry.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Gugelot

I think Ludvigsen himself was a Swede or a Dane or somewhere other than Germany himself, so it's really an international circle of rumor & innuendo.

American
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Ludvigsen
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2009, 01:45 PM) *

Do you know if Gugelot was French - as I had thought - or Belgian or ??

German, with Dutch ancestry.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Gugelot

American
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Ludvigsen

Thanx Andy! ...interesting reads on both! smile.gif

One correction though re: Ludvigsen - he'd be a German-American, Dutch-American, Swedish-American, or whatever his immigrant ancestry is/was. Similar to how you put Gugelot as a German with Dutch ancestry.

Do you happen to know which he was, as the wiki article didn't say, but his first & last names clearly use the "Old World" spellings? confused24.gif

"American" is mostly an amalgam of many races & cultures & only related to their current place of residence. flag.gif So I was going by the spellings of his names to guess at his ancestral origins.

Whereas, the only true Americans which can be considered as separate race/cultures from the Anglo-European, African, Asian or other ancestry from elsewhere in the world, are the Native Americans. "Wrong Way" Columbus called them "Indians" (Indios in Spanish) because he thought he was in India, and that grew into the other term "American Indian".

I myself am a "Mixed-blood" Cherokee/Seneca Indian (1/4 Blood), with English, Irish, Scots, French & German ancestry. So I had some ancestors here already, as the others were coming over in their boats! biggrin.gif

Perhaps a small point, but important to the all too often marginalized First Peoples of this land! smile.gif
johannes
Found theese interresting pictures from the BMW project

http://www.hansgugelot.com/en/bmw-bayer_sports-car.php

Link updated on 02/04/2014
johannes
IPB Image

Relinked to Internet Archive on 02/04/2014

Tom_T
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 9 2009, 03:47 PM) *

Found theese interresting pictures from the BMW project

http://www.gugelot.de/gugelot/bmw-bayer_sportwagen.php

Interesting design when you see these. Reminds me of the 1960's Saab & Arbath sports cars of the day, especially the rear greenhouse glass enclosure layout.

His urethane foam core with 2 gel coat skins are interesting too. My Dad was a chemist who used a similar construction for factory built housing in the late 1960's HUD "Operation Breakthrough" program. The only one from that program which was seen much internationally, were the concrete modular system used for the 1970 Montreal Olympics athletes' housing.
johannes
Another picture of the 1967 Gugelot - Bayer car

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 9 2009, 04:01 PM) *

Another picture of the 1967 Gugelot - Bayer car

Click to view attachment

This shot makes the F&R wheels look pinched too close together, but not on the pic of the Orange one above you posted with the caption: "1967...."

Johannes - are they of the same car & just a camera optics thing, or different prototypes?
johannes
Same car. Wide angle lens effect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.