Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Joe Ricard
Never heard of these tires. Speedster???
Until they wear out my R3S04 Hoosiers in 225/45-15 will be just fine. I figure one more track day is left in them.
Trekkor
I'd like to know more about the "Speedster". Sizes, pricing.

KT
Petit Bastard
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 29 2006, 06:33 PM) *

I'd like to know more about the "Speedster". Sizes, pricing.

KT

Hi KT,
Try this link https://www.hoosiertire.com/pb10306.HTM
MB
Joe Ricard
Those look pretty cool.
wonder what the tread wear rating is. or is it done by compound rating.
Might have kept me off the slippery slope I am on in regards to Hoosiers no fitting on 4 lug Fuchs.
jhadler
Joe, somehow I doubt that something so simple as tire choice would have held you back off that slope. A team of draft horses couldn't have held you back... biggrin.gif

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Yup failing miserably as a concourse weenie.
However I could have stayed in DSP with 4 lug Fuchs if I could have bought some sticky tires to put under it. I don't classify V700's as sticky

DSP didn't have weight restrictions, which happen to be my arch enemy in prepared.
jhadler
So Hoosiers or V710's weren't sticky enough huh? smile.gif

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 31 2006, 12:52 PM) *

So Hoosiers or V710's weren't sticky enough huh? smile.gif

-Josh2

NO, V700 is what I typed. Referring to Ecsta and Victor racers. DID not like them. confused24.gif Lasted a long time but.

V710's are in the same category as the Hoosiers like an 1" wider than any other 205/50-15

So after taking a hammer to my rear fenders to fit bigger tires then getting kicked out of SM-2 and Prepared allowing REAL slicks . hell here I am putting in roll bars and taking out interiors and hopping up the power and and and and.
jhadler
Yeah, the V700's are alright. But not in the same game as the V710's or the Hoosiers. The Victoracer isn't a bad tire, and is an excellent intermediate tire. But the Ecsta? Eh, I've never heard anything but lukewarm reviews of that tire...

Slicks are fun, no doubt about it.... biggrin.gif

-Josh2
Virgil
I am gonna get the wheel dimensions tommorow and will be able to tell what tires will fit my car, I want to put flares on there to get the larger tire under the wheel well but i am gonna go for the stickiest I can find, toyo makes a good tire in wierd sizes so I will start my hunt there.
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 20 2006, 10:37 AM) *

Why don't we leave the slick/canti debate for another day....

I believe Trekkor's initial inquiry was about Toyo, yoko, hoosier, kumho DOT Rs.

He couldn't fit cantis under his current fenders. Doesn't even look like 225s will fit on the rear of his car in it's current configuration.

Trek,

My good friend Jeff Reitmeir and his co-driver Jim Lane in the 924S, used Toyos last season and they both said they were junk for their application.
They went back to Kumhos this season for practice and I believe they have a set of Hoosiers for Timed Runs. They both agreed that they worked well in the rain and lasted a long time, but for ultimate grip they were nothing special. I think Jeff knows a thing or two about good vs. fair vs. junk tires, for AX and TT.

Just because the Toyos are the spec tire for a couple of groups like spec Miata or 911 cup, does not mean they are a great tire....just means those guys have to use them and they are getting a bit of a discount at purchase time.

remember you are still in a steep learning curve on the track.
Get a particular tire and stick with it the entire season. Constantly switching tires does not let you learn the progression you are making. "Is it the tires or is it me?"
With your car you should be able to get a set of what ever manufacturer's tires and run a good portion of the season. If not then, either your car setup or driving technique needs to be attended to. wink.gif cool.gif

My $.02

Dan's paragraph, "Remember..." is simply a great piece of advice Trekkor. Follow it and you'll become a better driver.
Trekkor
I've committed myself to run the Kuhmo 710's for the rest of the season.

I'm now finalizing pressures. starting 26-28 cold seems to work very well.

Having two sets, one for a/x and one for track, is a goal.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jun 17 2006, 10:34 AM) *

I've committed myself to run the Kuhmo 710's for the rest of the season.

I'm now finalizing pressures. starting 26-28 cold seems to work very well.

Having two sets, one for a/x and one for track, is a goal.

KT

My 710s will go on after my nxt AX or track event - still have a few more runs left on my Victoracers
Virgil
Toyo makes a great tire, wish michelin pilot sport 2's came in the right sizes for our cars, they are a great street/track tire and have excellent wet traction characteristics (I have Mich. Pilot Powers on my motorcycle, excellent tires, saved my arse several times in the rain).
brant
QUOTE(Petit Bastard @ May 29 2006, 09:13 AM) *

Hi guys,

Does anyone have feedback the new Hoosier vintage radial called the Speedster.
The vintage club I race with(VARAC) requires 60+ series for my class and this new Hoosier is beeing offered in the size 185/65/15 witch is ideal (I think) for my 5.5'' OEM Mahles.I now have Yokos 048 205/60/15 witch are OK but still to wide for my rims and contact patch is minimal.
MB

some of the porsche guys in our vintage club have tried them (also in 60series)
they went back to the hoosiers.

in fact I know where you can get a steal on a set of 4 with only about 1 track day on them in a 205/60/15

Virgil
Anyone try the ContiSportContact 2? I checked and I think they come in the right size. I have heard good things and they typically aren't over priced.

My wheels are 15x5.5, not sure what i could stick on there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.