Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your front oil cooler...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Aaron Cox
james, i already said i was biased against the trunk mount coolers....

its all good.

Aaron the asstalker smile.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 14 2006, 04:58 PM) *

Actually, the under the rear trunk mounted cooler IS still an option, no matter what Aaron says. You have no external cooler now, and your oil temps are, MOST OF THE TIME, just fine. You only need extra cooling capacity under duress. Aaron has absolutely no data on how much cooling a 2.2S really needs under track conditions at Thunderhill in August, so he's talking out his ass when he says the under trunk option isn't good enough. He has no way of knowing, he's just guessing.

Rich Johnson lives in Texas. It's a LOT hotter in Texas in the summer than it is in the Bay Area at any time of year. Rich Johnson has a warmed over 3.0, which generates more power (and thus heat) than a 2.2S does. The under trunk option works for him. It MIGHT work for you (there's no telling without trying it). It won't touch your front trunk at all. It's substantially easier to fabricate than the under the headlight approach. It's PROVEN to be adequate on a more powerful engine in hotter ambient temps.

Is Rich Johnson's car a track car using the under the trunk fan design?

I do like unobtrusive simple designs...

wacko.gif Too many choices headbang.gif
Series9
I suggested the rear cooler with a fan as well. It could be made to work. It's a 2.2S, not 3.8.

Remember, I'm the guy who did the 'impossible' by fitting 225s on the back of a narrow bodied car, I'm pretty sure I could set up a very functional oil cooler in the back of a 2.2. happy11.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 14 2006, 05:16 PM) *

I suggested the rear cooler with a fan as well. It could be made to work. It's a 2.2S, not 3.8.

Remember, I'm the guy who did the 'impossible' by fitting 225s on the back of a narrow bodied car, I'm pretty sure I could set up a very functional oil cooler in the back of a 2.2. happy11.gif

Come and get her and do it for me Joe happy11.gif

or at least give me a parts list (vendors, manufacturers, model #'s) wink.gif
Series9
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 14 2006, 06:19 PM) *

Fine. Take detailed pictures of the underside of your engine bay and under your trunk.

I'll set it up and intall it on Friday at the RRC.

Cost is $500 + parts.
McMark
There you go. smile.gif thumb3d.gif
drew365
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 14 2006, 04:16 PM) *

If you want a REALLY EXPERIENCED opinion, call Otto. 310 399 3221 Trust me, you WILL get an opinion, LOL.

Truer words have never been spoken! smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jul 14 2006, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 14 2006, 04:16 PM) *

If you want a REALLY EXPERIENCED opinion, call Otto. 310 399 3221 Trust me, you WILL get an opinion, LOL.

Truer words have never been spoken! smile.gif

It may be an opinion, but odds are it'll be right. The Cap'n
lapuwali
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 14 2006, 05:06 PM) *

james, i already said i was biased against the trunk mount coolers....

its all good.

Aaron the asstalker smile.gif

Bias is fine, as long as you don't let it completely blind you. The perfect is the enemy of the good, and all that...

I hope someone does do the under the headlights thing, as I think it's an interesting solution that would be more than adequate for even a pretty hot engine. I don't think it's a good solution for Gwen, though.
Trekkor
For the record, I like my set-up. wub.gif
The bottom line is this: 111 degrees at Thunderhill's got nothing on me.

KT
drew365
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 14 2006, 07:14 PM) *

For the record, I like my set-up. wub.gif
The bottom line is this: 111 degrees at Thunderhill's got nothing on me.

KT

You've got good kharma riding with you. My luck ain't that good. biggrin.gif
East coaster
A few posts back someone mentioned adding steel mesh to re-enforce openings. I did this on my oil cooler outlets and it made an incredible difference in structural rigidity. When I cut the holes the surrounding sheetmetal became very unstable and would "oil can" very easily. I welded in some grill work liberated from an extra engine grill and it is now solid as a rock. Just thought I'd echo that it make a big diff.

Click to view attachment

And a gratutitous oil cooler pic:

Click to view attachment
jonwatts
East coaster, that is hot (in the Paris Hilton sense). I really like the job you did there. Even the grill you welded in is 914-correct thumb3d.gif
maf914
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jul 14 2006, 09:18 PM) *

East coaster, that is hot (in the Paris Hilton sense). I really like the job you did there. Even the grill you welded in is 914-correct thumb3d.gif

agree.gif

East-coaster's oil cooler installation is one of the nicest I've seen. smilie_pokal.gif

The other award goes to Brant for his super "twin oil coolers mounted in the head light buckets" installation. smilie_pokal.gif

Gentlemen, congratulations. laugh.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 14 2006, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 14 2006, 06:19 PM) *

Fine. Take detailed pictures of the underside of your engine bay and under your trunk.

I'll set it up and intall it on Friday at the RRC.

Cost is $500 + parts.

I'm good with that offer Joe. Thanks mrs.K.gif

Now to get to the RRC...
GTeener
Any idea how much cooling (approx. reduction in temp) this design will provide?

Joe,

How much do you think parts will cost for the under car with fan?
Would it be better if I bought and brought the parts?

Series9
Probably around $600 in parts.
Aaron Cox
600 for a rear cooler?

must be a fluidyne cooler then....
Series9
I'm thinking about $250 for the cooler, $100 for the thermostat and $250 in lines and fittings.
GTeener
What happens if it doesn't cool enough?

What if the fan can't generate enough cool air from under the car at 60+ MPH?
GTeener
So I just talked to Rich Walton at Jerry Woods Enterprises (JWE). He likes the idea of the 2 small coolers in the fog light location. BUT he's never done it either dry.gif

He thinks that it can be done outside the chassis behind the horn grills, like was suggested already. Thereby not cutting the car much and cooling well. The lines will already be in the proper places if I decide to go big full frontal later wink.gif

He'd also charge me a ridiculous amount to do the work...but he'll do the work dry.gif

The thing he was most concerned about is why my little 2.2S was generating that much heat. Even my typical 220 temp. was higher than he'd recommend. They like their cars (albeit taildraggers with coolers outside the chassis) running between 180-210.

He suggests checking the cloggage condition of the engine's current oil cooler.

How easy is that to get at and check out? confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 17 2006, 09:47 AM) *

What happens if it doesn't cool enough?

What if the fan can't generate enough cool air from under the car at 60+ MPH?

My point, exactly. The Cap'n
lapuwali
First thing, not yet discussed at all: how are you checking your oil temp? If you're going by the gauge on the dash, has that ever been checked for accuracy? PA Speedo could do this for you.

Second, you can see the bottom of the oil cooler from underneath. Driver's side of the car, rear of the engine, aft of the aft-most cylinder. There will be an oil line coming out below the cooler. To see the top of the cooler look at the fan cooling shroud, and see if you can distinguish a second "bump" above where the cooler will be. It's often a different color than the main shroud. If you can, and you can see the bolts that hold it down (there are several), that shroud can be removed to expose the top of the cooler. I have no idea how hard or easy this would be to do with the engine in the car, or with the FI bolted to the engine. I expect it would NOT be easy. Cleaning the cooler (and the cylinders) is something that requires the FI to be removed, and that fan cooling shroud removed. This is no big deal with carbs or CIS, but with MFI...

GTeener
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 17 2006, 01:52 PM) *

First thing, not yet discussed at all: how are you checking your oil temp? If you're going by the gauge on the dash, has that ever been checked for accuracy? PA Speedo could do this for you.

Second, you can see the bottom of the oil cooler from underneath. Driver's side of the car, rear of the engine, aft of the aft-most cylinder. There will be an oil line coming out below the cooler. To see the top of the cooler look at the fan cooling shroud, and see if you can distinguish a second "bump" above where the cooler will be. It's often a different color than the main shroud. If you can, and you can see the bolts that hold it down (there are several), that shroud can be removed to expose the top of the cooler. I have no idea how hard or easy this would be to do with the engine in the car, or with the FI bolted to the engine. I expect it would NOT be easy. Cleaning the cooler (and the cylinders) is something that requires the FI to be removed, and that fan cooling shroud removed. This is no big deal with carbs or CIS, but with MFI...

Brad installed external oil pressure and temp gauges in the center console back when he was working at HPH. The pressure sender was just replaced by Tony at Heyer Performance.
lapuwali
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 17 2006, 01:57 PM) *

Brad installed external oil pressure and temp gauges in the center console back when he was working at HPH. The pressure sender was just replaced by Tony at Heyer Performance.

All due respect to Brad, while I'm sure he installed the right parts, there's no telling what the calibration of those parts are. What are your oil temps normally? Say, for a typical commute from PA to San Jose? Do you fly down 280, or crawl along on 101? What's the highest temp you remember seeing during your commute?
GTeener
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 17 2006, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 17 2006, 01:57 PM) *

All due respect to Brad, while I'm sure he installed the right parts, there's no telling what the calibration of those parts are. What are your oil temps normally? Say, for a typical commute from PA to San Jose? Do you fly down 280, or crawl along on 101? What's the highest temp you remember seeing during your commute?

I prefer to fly wink.gif
Once the car is warm and humming along on my 25-ish mile commute, she runs pretty consistently at 220.
brer
You might need this. biggrin.gif

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...s%3Den%26sa%3DN

click on PORSCHE-2
pete-stevers
hey sunshine!
are you opposed to the cented front mount cooler?
you needn't make it as bulky as mine.... biggrin.gif
but running cooper lines along th e body helps disapate as well....
i used refrigeration grade copper, welded with silver soder....
my lines get fairly
warm but never to hot to touch.....
but up here it doesnt get as hot as you lucky californians.....
take care
Steve
brant
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 17 2006, 11:24 PM) *

my lines get fairly
take care
Steve

Steve,

i run aluminum lines in my retired race car cooler... (now street car)
same thing. disappates heat.
I theorized that the aluminum tubing would be less suseptable to cracking.
I ran mine outside the longs
brant
Marv's3.6six
Back to the original question..........
Doesnt Jim Lamonica's 914-6 have behind the foglight grill oil coolers for his 3.6? That is a very saweet looking install, someones gotta have pics!?! So cal contingent?
agrump
I thought I would throw in my two cents, here is the installation I'm working on that uses two small coolers. I wanted to keep as much usable trunk space as possible. I'm using 90 degree fittings coming out of the coolers and everything fits under the tire cover which is raised due to the DPD AC condensor. I'm going to build ducting that wraps around the spare tire and exits out of the side of the fenders.
Click to view attachment
I am running the oil lines on the drivers side because the AC lines are on the other side. I did have a rear mounted cooler and fan but it didn't provide enough cooling.

McMark
Dean, I'm anxious to see your results. I applaud your creativity.
sean_v8_914
gjvytjm
GTeener
Thanks for chiming in Dean. Your design looks interesting. Can we see more pictures? Like what does it look like from the front of the car?

I only have a 2.2S engine so it shouldn't be getting as hot as 3Ltr. engine.

I like how you are preserving the front trunk space.

I really want to do something that cools efficiently, the least invasive and the most low-profile/elegant.

I've been thinking more about the spare tire preservation requirement and it has been brought to my attention by a co-worker that my full-spare only matches the front tires of my car. I have 205s in the front and 225s in the back. So my concern for its preservation are somewhat flawed. Plus I don't have a jack or lug wrench for the tires either...slap.gif

So I'm back to focusing on the front cooler designs biggrin.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 17 2006, 10:24 PM) *

hey sunshine!
are you opposed to the cented front mount cooler?
you needn't make it as bulky as mine.... biggrin.gif
my lines get fairly
take care
Steve

Hiya Steve,

I have been opposed to the front cooler mount because of trunk space and spare-tire preservation. But as I posted earlier, my full-spare concern is somewhat illogical biggrin.gif

Copper or aluminum lines idea.gif seem interesting. Not so flexible. idea.gif I've heard that copper costs are shooting through the roof though. So much so that construction sites are being robbed and stripped of their copper plumbing ohmy.gif
GTeener
BTW- I drove G TEENER to work today.

By the time I arrived at the office, the temp was registering 220. Drive time 7:30 am PST, temp approximately 75 F.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jul 17 2006, 10:46 PM) *

Back to the original question..........
Doesnt Jim Lamonica's 914-6 have behind the foglight grill oil coolers for his 3.6? That is a very saweet looking install, someones gotta have pics!?! So cal contingent?

yep, shawn anderson called me and reminded me of that....

IIRC jim has at least 2 coolers... (might have a middle one also?) behind the fogs, with working headlights and all....

brant
Gwen,

maybe just bite the bullet and go with the proven GT pieces?
(you said you were back to thinking about frontal coolers)

Aaron Cox
and, as i posted, you can use a vertical mount space saver.... so.. its all good smile.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 18 2006, 11:38 AM) *

Gwen,

OK, so here's another issue that was brought to my attention with the GT design.... How noticeable is the lift created by the hot air venting out under the car?

The foglight design vents in to the wheel wells, so no lift.

And no, I don't want a vent cut in to my front hood dry.gif
lapuwali
You can vent any front mounted cooler into the wheel wells. You don't really even need any ducting.
McMark
205 vs 225 is irrelevant because that is the width of the tire not the height. As long as you have a 205 or smaller spare it will work. Plus a spare just need to get you to a tire shop, so it's okay if it's not a perfect replacement. A jack and a wrench aren't a big deal because if someone stops to help it's likely they'll be able to use the pieces from their car (regardless of make). Although, a wrench wouldn't be a bad addition to your car. I feel the extra air flow under the car isn't an issue except in a fast car on a big track. But I'm sure there are some people with real world experience.
brant
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 18 2006, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 18 2006, 11:38 AM) *

Gwen,

OK, so here's another issue that was brought to my attention with the GT design.... How noticeable is the lift created by the hot air venting out under the car?

The foglight design vents in to the wheel wells, so no lift.

And no, I don't want a vent cut in to my front hood dry.gif

honestly... I never used to notice any lift.
I'm sure there is some theoretically, but not to the level that you can actually feel anything by the seat of your pants... (at least not my seat)

still... front hood is theoretically better
here is my front hood on my retired car:
maf914
There has been a lot of talk about the air vented through the front trung floor creating lift, but I wonder if the effect is really significant relative to a stock car. On a stock car with no front inlet where does the air that strikes the front bumper go. The front bumper is sort of bow-like and most of the air probably goes under the car. Unless you have an agressive front spoiler/air dam. Cut an opening, force the air through a cooler, vent it through the floor, where does it go? Under the car. I just don't think there is a big difference.

Now an exhaust through the top of the hood is another matter, and I think that may be beneficial from an aero standpoint.
GTeener
Esthetically, the top of the hood exit duct doesn't appeal to me. My car isn't a hard-core track car. It gets tracked only recreationally smile.gif

Most of my driving is low altitude street flying ( busted_cop.gif ).
GTeener
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 18 2006, 12:10 PM) *

You can vent any front mounted cooler into the wheel wells. You don't really even need any ducting.

So why all the cars with the holes cut out the back of the trunk and out to the ground through the trunk?
lapuwali
Different strokes for different folks. Some people vent it down, some people out the side, some people up. Some people vent, others don't.

Some people put them in back under the trunk, too. poke.gif

Aaron Cox
rofl james.... chairfall.gif
GTeener
decisions, decisions, money, money wacko.gif

I'd like the fog light design to work. I think it fits my form and function desires. I'm hesitant to finance the R&D and muck up my car if it fails.
Aaron Cox
not really mucking up. i have faith

i can prolly get you Jim L's number through a mutual friend, he is using fog light coolers to keep his 3.6 cool....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.