Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your front oil cooler...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
GTeener
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 18 2006, 02:43 PM) *

not really mucking up. i have faith

i can prolly get you Jim L's number through a mutual friend, he is using fog light coolers to keep his 3.6 cool....

Thanks. Pictures would be good too.
agrump
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 18 2006, 08:22 AM) *

Thanks for chiming in Dean. Your design looks interesting. Can we see more pictures? Like what does it look like from the front of the car?

I'm still hacking away at it. The holes I made in the front are pretty small, I may have to open them up but I wanted to try it out first. I have more pics at http://www.marinerc.net/914/front_mounted_oil_coolers.htm

Click to view attachment

GTeener
QUOTE(agrump @ Jul 19 2006, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 18 2006, 08:22 AM) *

Thanks for chiming in Dean. Your design looks interesting. Can we see more pictures? Like what does it look like from the front of the car?

I'm still hacking away at it. The holes I made in the front are pretty small, I may have to open them up but I wanted to try it out first. I have more pics at http://www.marinerc.net/914/front_mounted_oil_coolers.htm

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the front view.
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 18 2006, 09:44 AM) *

BTW- I drove G TEENER to work today.

By the time I arrived at the office, the temp was registering 220. Drive time 7:30 am PST, temp approximately 75 F.

Follow-up on the drive home after work after 6pm in traffic. By the time got to my destination I was back at the 260 mark dry.gif
McMark
Did it used to run this hot? Or is it just after you got it tuned that it runs hotter? The state of tune of the engine can have a large impact on the oil temps.
brant
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 19 2006, 12:24 PM) *

Did it used to run this hot? Or is it just after you got it tuned that it runs hotter? The state of tune of the engine can have a large impact on the oil temps.

the timing a bit too.
GTeener
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 19 2006, 11:24 AM) *

It used to run pretty consistently at 220 or lower. What would have happened during the tune-up to change the temp readings?
GTeener
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 19 2006, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 19 2006, 12:24 PM) *

the timing a bit too.

Well since my car will not hold an idle setting, most likely because the MFI throttle bodies need rebuilding, I can't control the timing. It is supposed to be set at 1000 RPM, but sometimes it idles higher and sometimes lower.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 19 2006, 11:54 AM) *

It used to run pretty consistently at 220 or lower. What would have happened during the tune-up to change the temp readings?

Timing. The Cap'n
GTeener
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 19 2006, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 19 2006, 11:54 AM) *

Timing. The Cap'n

So are you now telling me that if I get my throttle bodies rebuilt and the timing to stay at a fixed idle my cooling problems will be solved?
Aaron Cox
your oil temps will drop *SOME* if timed right

what is enough drop in temp? only you can decide smile.gif
brant
Timing. The Cap'n
[/quote]

So are you now telling me that if I get my throttle bodies rebuilt and the timing to stay at a fixed idle my cooling problems will be solved?
[/quote]

Gwen,

timing affects a lot more than idle.
I really don't know MFI at all.. (wish I did) drooley.gif

but I'd bet that MFI has capacity to adjust idle independent of timing.
perhaps your throttle shafts prevent you from getting a steady idle...

but you should still be able to retard your timing and then readjust your idle independently.

brant
GTeener
It has been advised that my car's oil temp should be between 180-220.
markb
Gwen, why not put the spare in the rear trunk?
dbu356
I've have this set-up on my 3.0. The car was my daily driver. Never runs hot.
Fog light/horn grills mount over the coolers. Plumbing's not purdy...but it works. Vents out through the wheel wells.
GTeener
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 19 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Then the targa top won't fit in the rear trunk. sad.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(dbu356 @ Jul 19 2006, 01:49 PM) *

Fog light/horn grills mount over the coolers. Plumbing's not purdy...but it works. Vents out through the wheel wells.

idea.gif interesting...what's the inside of the front trunk look like? And where to the lines run to get to the engine? Where did your horns go?
markb
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 19 2006, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 19 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Then the targa top won't fit in the rear trunk. sad.gif

All you need for the spare is that it's the right height, not width. Just use a stock steel 911 wheel & tire, and your top will still fit.
dbu356
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 19 2006, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(dbu356 @ Jul 19 2006, 01:49 PM) *

idea.gif interesting...what's the inside of the front trunk look like? And where to the lines run to get to the engine? Where did your horns go?

Horns??? One is bolted to the interior of the trunk, the other currently is not (note that the front panel of this car has been replaced with a '73+). Lines run under the right rocker panel (jack piont needed slight modification).
GTeener
Well I have good news and bad news...

The bad news is that I can't go to this year's RRC party in the desert dry.gif

The good news is that this gives me more time to properly sort out this oil cooler installation project smile.gif

BTW-I'm back to wanting to do the fog light design.

McMark? Up for the challenge? I liked your offer. Can I trust your abilities?
brant
We will miss you Gwen,
but it will be interesting to see the project.

brant
GTeener
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 20 2006, 10:11 AM) *

We will miss you Gwen,
but it will be interesting to see the project.

brant

I'm disappointed about missing RRC '06 too, but family matters take priority.
Series9
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 20 2006, 11:03 AM) *

Gwen,

If you can get Mark to take on the project, I strongly suggest you do so. You will be happy with his work.
neo914-6
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 20 2006, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 20 2006, 11:03 AM) *

Gwen,

If you can get Mark to take on the project, I strongly suggest you do so. You will be happy with his work.

agree.gif
GTeener
You up for the fog light cooling challenge McMark?

If so, what's your schedule like?

Aaron Cox
hooray innovation!
McMark
My schedule is crazy. I'll have to PM you Gwen. I need to look at my calendar. wacko.gif Maybe Septemberish. I'll pm you and give you a real date.
GTeener
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 20 2006, 12:48 PM) *

My schedule is crazy. I'll have to PM you Gwen. I need to look at my calendar. wacko.gif Maybe Septemberish. I'll pm you and give you a real date.

OK. Standing by... popcorn[1].gif
Terrance
IPB Image
brant
Terrance,

where are you going to exit the air?
any duct work planned?

brant
Terrance
It's going straight out through the front of the wheel well. Probably use thin gauge aluminum for that. I used some foam tape to form a good tight seal between the cooler and the front of the car.
Trekkor
Gwen, don't know if you saw my latest development.

I was out in the hills today busting it up and the oil temps stayed below 200° clap56.gif
It was near 100° in Napa today...hideous.

Will the report from Sear tomorrow night mean anything to you? smile.gif
My goal is 220° or lower. Forecast in Sonoma is near 100° Arrrghh!!

KT
GTeener
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 20 2006, 04:04 PM) *

Gwen, don't know if you saw my latest development.

I was out in the hills today busting it up and the oil temps stayed below 200° clap56.gif
It was near 100° in Napa today...hideous.

Will the report from Sear tomorrow night mean anything to you? smile.gif
My goal is 220° or lower. Forecast in Sonoma is near 100° Arrrghh!!

KT

Ya, it's scorching in the south bay too. GTEENER is in her shady garage....

Did Mark help you with your oil cooler setup?
Trekkor
He has seen it. I'm the wrench wink.gif

KT
PRS914-6
I was installing my Mocal cooler today in the front and I was wondering about water drainage. Since the cooler is inside the vehicle instead of outside, water will get in from washing and rain. The only thing I can think of is put some water in there and drill holes in the low spots.....What did you guys do?
bam914
Has anyone mounted a cooler where the fresh air vent is? It is a good low pressure area.
McMark
High pressure area, but it's still a decent location. I don't know anyone who's done it, but for a smaller engine, its a possibility. the issue becomes getting rid of the hot air.
brant
QUOTE(bam914 @ Jul 23 2006, 08:34 PM) *

Has anyone mounted a cooler where the fresh air vent is? It is a good low pressure area.

I've seen it twice.

good it you plan on gutting the car.. (race-ish)
a guy in my vintage club runs his cooler there on a stock 1.7/4 and it is adequate for that motor.

of course it raises weight and the center of gravity a bit.
for a serious race car, do you want that weight going that high?

brant
lapuwali
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 23 2006, 07:54 PM) *

High pressure area, but it's still a decent location. I don't know anyone who's done it, but for a smaller engine, its a possibility. the issue becomes getting rid of the hot air.

McMark's right. The base of the windscreen is a high-pressure area. The air has to be forced up and over the car, and pressure builds there. This is why you see air intakes for ventilation systems on most cars.

I've seen one 914 with an oil cooler mounted there, on top of the fresh air box. It was a 3.2 Six conversion, and that smallish cooler seemed to be enough to keep the oil cool. It didn't, however, generate all that much heat into the cabin, which was the other reason cited for mounting it there.
Mountain914
This with a factory 6 oil cooler keeps it plenty cool (tested in AZ heat!). Thermostatic fan kicks it on when necessary. Not my doing, I miss my wipers.
IPB Image
brant
Lee,

I forgot you had your cooler there.
so that is 3of them done that way in colorado!

Lee, why don't you come out the moab RRC06?
it would be great to see you again, and a nice reasonable objective to get the yellow car back on the road!

brant
GTeener
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Jul 23 2006, 09:29 PM) *

This with a factory 6 oil cooler keeps it plenty cool (tested in AZ heat!). Thermostatic fan kicks it on when necessary. Not my doing, I miss my wipers.
IPB Image

idea.gif This is an interesting placement.

Can a cooler be mounted there without losing the wipers?

I'd get a GT valence, un-block the plug-holes and wouldn't need to cut much of the chassis...
gregrobbins
QUOTE(bam914 @ Jul 23 2006, 07:34 PM) *

Years ago, Wayne Bake used this location in his IMSA car. Very cool. The traditional front location he used to divert air to cool the brakes.
Mueller
Gwen,

no pictures, but Ed C. in San Antonio(?) TX has an oil cooler behind the fog light grills on each side. It works on his street/auto-x/DE car in HOT Texas contrary to the nay-sayers that "think" it won't work smile.gif

Having said that, I'm a fan of the GT oil-cooling method, it's proven to work and looks the best..........

GTeener
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 24 2006, 10:08 AM) *

Having said that, I'm a fan of the GT oil-cooling method, it's proven to work and looks the best..........

As long as you don't want to keep your full-size (205/50 15) spare tire and be able to stash you targa top in the back trunk. wink.gif
Mountain914
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 24 2006, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Jul 23 2006, 09:29 PM) *

idea.gif This is an interesting placement.

Can a cooler be mounted there without losing the wipers?

I'd get a GT valence, un-block the plug-holes and wouldn't need to cut much of the chassis...

Yeah - I'm not sure this is entirely needed, but I like it enough that I am trying to find a different way to do my wipers (Jeep ?). You're right on not cutting much of the chassis, but I have a big hole in my firewall, and it's not a real 6 anyway, so.....

And Brant, Free time is my whole issue right now, I have become a major workaholic, spend all the rest of the time trying to keep the girlfriend happy (gardening, not cars are her thing)... but I lurk, so there is hope. September is out, though <sorry> sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 24 2006, 10:41 AM) *

As long as you don't want to keep your full-size (205/50 15) spare tire and be able to stash you targa top in the back trunk. wink.gif

I really don't see how the GT cooler method (or a nice variant of it) and the front mounted tire cannot happily co-exist....just mount the tire on the bulkhead of the front trunk instead of having it lay flat...that size tire should have an envolope size of ~8.5" X 23.2"...maybe it is too tall, don't have a 914 in front of me to measure sad.gif
brant
[/quote]
and Brant, Free time is my whole issue right now, I have become a major workaholic, spend all the rest of the time trying to keep the girlfriend happy (gardening, not cars are her thing)... but I lurk, so there is hope. September is out, though <sorry> sad.gif
[/quote]

dang...
we will miss you.

best of luck
brant
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 24 2006, 10:41 AM) *

gwen...

just upgrade or get a spacesaver...

i posted the pic of mine on my front bulkhead, aft of the cooler right?
dgw
heres mine.

Note, the car has a 3.0, the former owner says he never had heat problems, I've only driven it twice, although on the hottest two days in the history of the Santa Cruz mountains.

It does seem very exposed thought, that worries me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.