Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torn Rear Suspension Ear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ChrisFoley
Steve,
For the big patches I cut away the rot with a Makita 4" right angle grinder with a 1/16" thick cutoff wheel mounted.
The little hole below I opened up with a carbide burr in a Milwaukee electric end grinder.

Here's the patch on the passenger side console.
ChrisFoley
I shaped a patch for this hole that was about the size of the end of my thumb.
ChrisFoley
Here's the passenger side console after welding the reinforcement.
Next I cleaned, primed and painted.
Wednesday I can reinstall the engine and suspension. smile.gif
rickyhgarcia
Chris,

Very nice workmanship...

I am thinking about buying your 12-piece rear suspension reinforcement kit...would you add the ear reinforcement pieces you made for this repair to the kit? If so, what would be the final cost of the kit?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Aug 2 2006, 12:15 AM) *

Chris,

Very nice workmanship...

I am thinking about buying your 12-piece rear suspension reinforcement kit...would you add the ear reinforcement pieces you made for this repair to the kit? If so, what would be the final cost of the kit?

Ricky,
I will be offering these new reinforcement pieces separately since they have application for people not going the fully reinforced route. Once I have a price from the waterjet people I can establish a firm price for these parts. I need more of these almost right away so I expect to have a price within a couple of weeks.
Bleyseng
Now that you have made the ear stronger and stiffer, what about where it attaches to the long? Do you re-weld it at the top part to make sure it doesn't just tear off there as the lower part is stiffer now?

Nice work.
ChrisFoley
Geoff,
I think the likelihood of cracks forming further up the console or at the attachment to the long. is negligible.
The loads are spread out to levels that don't overstress the metal once you get another couple inches away from the pickup point.
However, if the entire console is allowed to continue flexing on a modified vehicle frequently used for DE or competition eventually some other weak link will appear. That is what my reinforcement kit is designed to eliminate.
More than likely rust will play a role in any failure of the rear suspension attachment points.
rickyhgarcia
Chris,

Still no price on these? Or a combo price for ear and rear suspension reinforcement?

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 2 2006, 03:10 AM) *

QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Aug 2 2006, 12:15 AM) *

Chris,

Very nice workmanship...

Ricky,
I will be offering these new reinforcement pieces separately since they have application for people not going the fully reinforced route. Once I have a price from the waterjet people I can establish a firm price for these parts. I need more of these almost right away so I expect to have a price within a couple of weeks.

ChrisFoley
I took the drawing to my waterjet source a couple of days ago. It may be 2-3 weeks before they givce me a price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.