Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Pat Garvey
First nailed motor area is 914/6 & 914/4 1.7's. I know it's tough to get great photos, but do your best. Others to follow.
Bleyseng
not mine but nice
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 25 2006, 01:33 PM) *

not mine but nice

Pretty nice one! Maybe it's the pic, but that drain tube looks like its laying loose?
Pat Garvey
Now the later cars. Let's see those original engine bays!
Bleyseng
Yeah lets see them because mine isn't original! Mine is set up with 74 injection and atleast its clean.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 28 2006, 09:08 AM) *

Yeah lets see them because mine isn't original! Mine is set up with 74 injection and atleast its clean.

Gotta give you that - it IS clean! And nice!
tod914
Sharp looking engine bay Geoff. Can't help yah here Pat, I removed the air recirulation system. Can actually get my hand in the bay now.
type4org
Mine certainly isn't clean, but from all I know it's original. The car had 24,500 miles when I bought it and had spent probably 85% of its life in storage. I call it the "California emissions madness edition", a 2.0 from 1976. You really can't see all that much in there with the air cleaner in place.

Note the broken water drain funel/hose for the passenger side engine tray drain, I need to duct-tape that in place for the time being sad.gif

View from the drivers side:
Click to view attachment

View from the passenger side:
Click to view attachment

Pat Garvey
I didn't want to do this. Didn't want this to be a "my car" show, but no one else will. So here's mine, dusty & with its faults.
Pat Garvey
I did NOT want to do this, but here's my '72 bay w/all its vagaries!
Pat Garvey
Hasn't been detailed since 1999.
Pat Garvey
Yes, it's a Blue - & I won't switch!
JeffBowlsby
Pat was that engine bay sticker always on the firewall? I am not familiar with the early cars, the later cars have them on the side above the relay plate.

What would you change in your engine bay if you were to go through it?
tod914
Looks nice Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 3 2006, 03:26 PM) *

Pat was that engine bay sticker always on the firewall? I am not familiar with the early cars, the later cars have them on the side above the relay plate.

What would you change in your engine bay if you were to go through it?

Jeff,

Yep, that sticker's always been there.

What would/will I change in the engine bay? Lots!

1. When I refinished my engine tin (many years ago!), I gave no regard to the white stampings on the drivers' side. I plan to have a paint stamp made when I can verify the correct number - 610, etc.
2. Same with the oil bath air cleaner - refinished it & destroyed the red pain stamping. Will have a paint stamp made for that too.
3. Since I'm a whacko, I'd really like to have the whole engine bay resprayed. Probably won't, but will get tempted this fall when the motor comes out.
4. Intake tubes. Redid them years ago & put a clearcoat on them - it's yellowing. Will redo when the motor comes out.
5. The battery tray needs some cleanup. It's passable, but not up to my standards. Just needs a little cleanup & respray. I WILL go with an Optima battery hereafter & don't car about any deducts for it.

The one thing I would never change are those cad plated cheesehead screws that are everywhere. Can't remeber what I paid Porsche for replacements. They are really ugly & really period!

Pat
JeffBowlsby
I love the nostalgic vintage look of your engine bay Pat. For me, thats alot of what this hobby is about. I wish I could find those colored hoses somehere, I have looked everywhere. I am tempted to beach out the available gray fabric lines and try to dye them the right color.

I have found a high temp ceramic coating from Techline Coatings (titanium) that is a dead wringer for the stock gray high temp paint on the intake tubes, muffler and heat exchangers, and its more durable. You might look into it.

What is the issue with using new stainless screws, is it that big of a deduct?

Why not change the coil/bracket too?
tod914
Jeff by chance do u have a source for that paint? Never seen that brand carried out this way.

JeffBowlsby
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/

Colorgard Titanium is what you want, an exhaust coating.

Caswell Plating is also a distributor.

They sell to select shops or to the public. There is a listing of shops on their website, if nothing local, contact them, the shop I used uses alot of the techline product and they are not listed on the website. The shops use an oven to bake it on, which is more durable.
ChicagoPete
My Offering...not quite your standard 914/6 engine bay...yet a 914/6

Peter
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 3 2006, 11:35 PM) *

I love the nostalgic vintage look of your engine bay Pat. For me, thats alot of what this hobby is about. I wish I could find those colored hoses somehere, I have looked everywhere. I am tempted to beach out the available gray fabric lines and try to dye them the right color.

I have found a high temp ceramic coating from Techline Coatings (titanium) that is a dead wringer for the stock gray high temp paint on the intake tubes, muffler and heat exchangers, and its more durable. You might look into it.

What is the issue with using new stainless screws, is it that big of a deduct?

Why not change the coil/bracket too?

Thanks for the tip on the Techline Coatings stuff - will try it when the motor comes out this fall.
Stainless screws are not orig. They make perfect sense, but will most likely get you a deduct in high-end competition. The ugly cad plated "cheesheads" are orig.
Umm, my coil bracket is original!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Aug 5 2006, 05:00 PM) *

My Offering...not quite your standard 914/6 engine bay...yet a 914/6

Peter

Nicely done!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Engine compartment details on a '70/4.....adhesive sticker on driver's side, uninsulated bulkhead wall. (Jeesh, lookit those tire pressure #s ohmy.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here's another detail from a '70/4.......pardon the non-concours presentation but it is original.....this is on the engine sheetmetal, driver's side. Anyone know the significance of these markings?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 7 2006, 01:50 PM) *

Here's another detail from a '70/4.......pardon the non-concours presentation but it is original.....this is on the engine sheetmetal, driver's side. Anyone know the significance of these markings?

Someone MUST know what these markings mean & which apply to which engine. I know there are many variations & know what mine were originally (long gone), but what were they?

By the way Paul - you need new cheesheads.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 2 2006, 05:49 PM) *

I didn't want to do this. Didn't want this to be a "my car" show, but no one else will. So here's mine, dusty & with its faults.

Stoddards NLA 'Grey' exhuast/intake tubes ..
In Quarts or spray can..Dead Ringer
Nemo914
The photo in the first posted picture is mine. I think I put in on the forum a long time back for...I don't remember what. It is from my 72 1.7. I have kept it as stock as possible over the years. The relay to help the starter out on hot days (mounted on the left sidewall) is about the only thing that is not original to a 1.7 engine bay. Every vacuum hose even goes where it is supposed to!

Love the concours section. I don't get on here enough to see what's going on. Good stuff!

NEMO
Bleyseng
ok, its yours then as I will label it then as a 72 1.7L in my pic files. sweet setup
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 28 2006, 09:08 AM) *

Geoff,

What is the black coating on your battery tray?
Bleyseng
A rustproofing primer and it has been painted since that pic was taken.
Garland
I refinished the bay and engine. 1972 1.7 in a 1973 car. The white intakes are the wrong color, but everything else is correct. The hangers for the air tubes are custom. Helps keep them off the engine.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 12 2006, 02:07 PM) *

I refinished the bay and engine. 1972 1.7 in a 1973 car. The white intakes are the wrong color, but everything else is correct. The hangers for the air tubes are custom. Helps keep them off the engine.

Have to say that is a clean motor top. The white intake tubes, though not orig, are kinda nice. The air tubes are all wrong though. Not talking about the hangers, but the tube material - not correct. Nice, nevertheless!
dekman
'70 914-6 w/ a 3.0Lwith 46mm webers
mrhurtalot
any tips on Engine bay cleaning? like to have it nicer in there.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Jan 18 2007, 07:05 AM) *

any tips on Engine bay cleaning? like to have it nicer in there.

mrhutrtlot.
Yes - two ways - and you'll hurtalot either way!

Method one - remove motor/trans. 2 hour cleanup from inside the bay (on jack stands). Do not use cleaning fluids that will render you duh or huh? Don't need them with contemporary chemicals, though I'd still wear a respirator. Really easy w/the motor out.

Method two - motor in. Lots more difficult, but can be done. Foremost, get a set of el-cheapo kneepads, and wear latex or rubber gloves. Why, becauseas you dig into the engine compartment you'll use your knees for bracing. Without the kneepads you'll make compression dents in the quarters. It's amazing what you can reach if you're not afraid of hurting the car, so dig in. First, remove everything removable (you didn't say what year your 914 was). Air filter, etc. Clean them separately. Then just tak some clean terry rags & start dgging for goo - you'll find plenty. Unless you're barely over 5 feet tall (like SOME people I know) you should be able to reach every cranny in there. After you've mopped up the really loose stuff, go back with another set of cloths lightly soaked in something like SimpleGreen or 409 (no solvents). Wipe until you come up with nothing. Take another fresh set of cloths (terry preferred) & do it again. I know it's simplistic sounding, but you need to reach into every fore/aft & side areas to do this - takes lots of rags & the wife will REALLY bitch when you throw them into the washer (trust me!). If you're forttunate, you'll have slim fingers to get under thigs like the induction tubes. If you're even MORE fortunate, you'll get your significant other involved to do this - they DO have very tiny fingers, that can get into places we gorillas cannot. Just be certain that the significant other realizes the daintiness of 914 bodywork - best to ask them to wear the kneepads & nothing else, so they don't hurt the bodywork. Worked ONCE for me - wish I'd taken pictures....or not.
Dominic
This picture is from a 73' 2.0L that we sold a few years ago.
Series9
happy11.gif

IPB Image
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 27 2007, 02:25 PM) *

happy11.gif

IPB Image

You KNEW this had to be coming....

Not even close to original (though nice). Verbotten on this forum.

To be deleted shortly, unless someone can give a reason not to.
sean_v8_914
grdag
sean_v8_914
zdfv
sean_v8_914
gfhj
sean_v8_914
fdgb
sean_v8_914
I believe this 1972 1.7 image to be significant because it shows teh "stove pipe" intake pre-heater
sean_v8_914
messy but close to original config
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 8 2007, 12:05 PM) *

messy but close to original config

Where's the heater blower & heat routing tubes?
Johny Blackstain
cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
Unfortunately Pat has managed to get me off my a** biggrin.gif . Call the previous photos before & call these after... More to come.

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
Battery tray replacement is obvious sad.gif . I have to find something closer, tape it off & shoot to match.

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
Last one, a top shot. Not done cleaning yet by a long shot, but it's like a time capsule from 1974.

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 19 2007, 04:56 PM) *

Last one, a top shot. Not done cleaning yet by a long shot, but it's like a time capsule from 1974.

cool_shades.gif

JB.

Is that a Bosche Blue coil? On an original 914 (LE, no less)? Shame, shame, shame!

Just kidding! I heard so much grief about mine that I thought spread the shame (like I'm going back to the original....).

Good stuff - let us know how lucky you are with respraying the battery tray area.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.