Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Montebello (lapuwali) is in bad shape
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
SharonG
Prayers said.
Devotional candles lit.
Optimistic thoughts sent with max brainwaves.
We're with you James, Susan and family.
pffft
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 21 2006, 07:22 PM) *

I first met James about eight years ago, when a (then) co-worker of mine bought the 2.4 Six conversion, in pieces. James lived just a half-mile from my buddy's house, so the three of us pushed it to its new place together. I think that says a lot about him...

James, I hope that things are better than we think. I hope you get well soon. Best wishes from my sweetie, as well--she remembers "the guy we went karting with"...

--DD

Yep, that sound like him. It was taking up too much room/time and he was (for a short time only) blinded by the siren call of the MIATA. (which he sensibly replaced with several minis, an alfetta, a 912, a squareback, the white 914 and and and)

Click to view attachment
It had been my daily driver for several years and in a weak moment
I swapped it to James. Sadly it ended up getting taken apart and then sold -sniff-
Do you know if anything came of it, Dave?
Brad Roberts
I keep losing friends and family members.

I really wish it would stop for awhile.

My prayers are with you James.

I wish I oculd do or say something to make everything better.

B

gregrobbins
I was looking at my photos from the last Bay Area 914 breakfast and found another shot of Lapuwali (in the middle) taken as everyone was leaving.

I’m with you Jenny (and everyone else), I want a miracle!

krk
I'm more of a lurker these days -- kinders and such take up my time -- but I found about this today. This is tough, and I don't like it. My very best thoughts go out in particular to those closest to James -- there is no easy way thru this. The coming days will tell us what is needed. I very, very much hope for the good side of the story. (!)

(even tho I've been out of it for a bit, I am always struck by the fact that this is a very remarkable group -- you deliver support to folks who need it without a lot of fuss and bother -- and that's not about "the car". It's about "the heart". Proud to be around y'all.)

kim.
Rand
This just doesn't seem real.

I refuse to accept the horrible idea that we are losing James.

I don't bring religious/spiritual talk into this forum because I don't feel it's appropriate. In this case, I'm breaking the rule...

God healed my daughter. I believed He would, and I give Him the glory for it. There's a testimony there that amazed the doctors and made believers of many people.

I have experienced miraculous healing first hand, so I'm going out on my Christian limb right here. I am praying for James with the same faith I had when I prayed for my own daughter.

Don't give up. Keep praying. With God, all things are possible.
alpha434
One of the few guys here that didn't hassle me too much about titanium connecting rods and such. Really meant a lot. Prayer sent.
JPB
Praying for the best for you and all who love you friend.

sad.gif
bryanc
Prayers to James and his family. I just keep checking this thread hoping for some good news.....
bd1308
You know, before I heard the news I had thought that everythign was just too quick--nobody gave James any time to fight. But now I believe that he's just rewiring things and will be back to us soon.

I believe in God and am praying away for him to make it through.

This place I have found is much more than just a club, its like a huge family--and I enjoy everybody's contribution to the family here.

I'll keep praying until James makes it through.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pffft @ Aug 21 2006, 08:11 PM) *

Do you know if anything came of it, Dave?

Sadly, no. My buddy is still "getting around to it", though with the recent kid and the addition to the house it looks like it'll be a while... sad.gif And no, he doesn't want to sell it.

--DD
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 22 2006, 12:30 AM) *

I don't bring religious/spiritual talk into this forum because I don't feel it's appropriate. In this case, I'm breaking the rule...

God healed my daughter. I believed He would, and I give Him the glory for it. There's a testimony there that amazed the doctors and made believers of many people.

I have experienced miraculous healing first hand, so I'm going out on my Christian limb right here. I am praying for James with the same faith I had when I prayed for my own daughter.

Amen
Brian Mifsud
A horrible thing about brain stem injuries is that the brain WILL rewire itself... just enough to 'trick' the family into thinking their loved one is "back"...

My dad had heart failure, and couldn't be resuscitate for 22 minutes. Over the next 10 days, he went from full life support, to breathing on his own, and eventually opening his eyes. It's a cruel process, because the doctors assured us that he would never recognize us, or have any shred of a memory or thought (as far as they know).

He would look at us,... but really just stare through us and his eyes were empty...

I'm getting really sad again just writing this.

Jim is still a much younger man then my dad was. I pray for his family, that they are well informed about his condition. Any action they take will be really tough.
guiltless
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Aug 22 2006, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 22 2006, 12:30 AM) *

Amen

Second.
tat2dphreak
do we have any update yet?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 22 2006, 10:34 AM) *

do we have any update yet?

agree.gif anything?

sad.gif Andy
914nerd
I am very new to this club, and even I recognize the wealth of information that James brought to the table.
I have read a number of his posts and found them refreshing and interesting.
He brought a mixture of intellect and compassion that is mostly unseen these days.
It is shocking that I would feel so sad about a person that I never met and had little interaction with, but everyone here at this (non)club is like family.
James, I wish you and your family the best.
Your contributions to the forums are already sorely missed and we all hope and pray that you return to us soon.

also, does anyone have the address of his family so that I might be able to send a card/flowers?
Thanks

Godspeed James
You are in all of our hearts and prayers

Charles sad.gif
mikelsr
I was doing a search today and found the answer to my question. The answers were supplied by James.

My prayers are with you and your family. I know I will continue to learn many things from the knowledge you left in these archives. God Bless you lapuwali.

Mike
seanery
I'm not giving up...I had a friend who had an anneurism (sp?) in high school. She was a brilliant young clarinet player who had a scholarship to play in college...after the anneurism she struggled for control of her body, but after a long recovery she is living a somewhat normal life.

We were terribly worried about her, it was thought to be over a number of times, but she was strong and pulled through.

Her life was changed from what it was before, but a good life she still has lead.

My hopes and prayers are that James can have the same result.
jd74914
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 22 2006, 09:06 PM) *

I'm not giving up...I had a friend who had an anneurism (sp?) in high school. She was a brilliant young clarinet player who had a scholarship to play in college...after the anneurism she struggled for control of her body, but after a long recovery she is living a somewhat normal life.

We were terribly worried about her, it was thought to be over a number of times, but she was strong and pulled through.

Her life was changed from what it was before, but a good life she still has lead.

My hopes and prayers are that James can have the same result.

I agree, don't give up. Our nieghbor had 2 anneurisms and was in ICU for months and ended up having 9 operations after that. This was about 6 years ago. He basically went crazy for a time and then lost his short term memory, but he has been getting better every year. He's almost normal now.

We're sending prayers towards James. He just needs a miracle
Eric_Shea
also, does anyone have the address of his family so that I might be able to send a card/flowers?

Please donate. We can send flowers at any time BTW. Just give the word. Donation link is in the signature above your post or on page 4 of this thread.

Thanks,

Eric
bd1308
Wait a little. I still have people donating money from the purchase of my 914 stuff...

b
Eric_Shea
Wait a little. I still have people donating money from the purchase of my 914 stuff...

Not all the money will go for flowers... currently that would be a boat load of flowers. If someone close to Susan deems it a nicety, we might be able to brighten up the room a bit or brighten up their home (not sure if she's spending much time there).
Pat Garvey
lapuwali - come on, get back with us. We were just starting our 914 wiki! I can't do it on my own - I need your professional help......please?
Pat
wbergtho
Paypal sent
MrsUnFun
I'll pipe my little two cents in here as we have recently been the recipients of this club's generosity and kindness. The sentiments of kindness and concern expressed on this site, the prayers, and the considerate gestures (offers of meals, help and money) on the parts of many were a little bright light during our time of incredible worry and stress.

The flower arrangement was wonderful (complete with jack stand and 914 model car), and then the following donations almost felt like too much at the time. Now that we are several months down the road and I am trying not to have nightmares each night over the medical bills I continue to receive, the money donated to us feels so very, very helpful. As I seem to see, no matter how good one thinks their medical insurance is, the insurance companies know how to spread it pretty thin, and the bills are overwhelming. Just this afternoon I sat down with our insurance agent of ten years and spent 2 1/2 hours reading over our two inch stack of invoices. He helped me translate them into "English". I can now fight our health insurance provider over their mishandling (non-payment or short payment) of approximately 1/2 of the invoices they have received. The first hospital John landed in was overpaid $5000.00 (less my $75.00 deductible) and I would never have known this without my meeting this afternoon. Now I get to fight them for the $5000.00 back. It's seemingly incredible. I know from our own experience that any money donated will probably be appreciated.

It still blows me away - how wonderful everyone was. All I can say (again and again) is thank you.

And to James and his family and friends - our prayers and our hearts go out to you. We're here praying for your miracle - may God make it so. Keep fighting and stay strong.

Laurie, John, Jim and Ted Unthank
jonwatts
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 22 2006, 07:34 PM) *

lapuwali - come on, get back with us. We were just starting our 914 wiki! I can't do it on my own - I need your professional help......please?
Pat

Maybe that's the problem. I mean with this group how long would it be until we started calling him lapuwiki?? laugh.gif

Ok so I made a joke. If I were in his position I'd hope you'd do the same.

James, I'll have all 8 seasons of Top Gear waiting for you when you wake up. Yes, that's the original BBC version with no commercials and all the good stuff they'd never show over here (like letting a blind guy do a lap on their test track).

Lou W
any updates?
James & Family,
Every time I log in At the 914 club page I ck this post,Its sad to see
someone so young go through this,Our prayers are for you and
family,Hang in there and get well.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2006, 08:57 PM) *

Please donate. We can send flowers at any time BTW. Just give the word. Donation link is in the signature above your post or on page 4 of this thread.

Thanks,

Eric

paypal sent, I just wish there was more we coupld do. james is in the thoughts of my wife and I...
Tobra
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 18 2006, 04:42 PM) *

Oh crap! He's got to be one of the top technical resources on this board!
Never met him in person but would like to some day.

I'm definitely sending good thoughts that way, hoping to hear some good news.

-Tony

Met him at last Alpine 500, nice guy, pretty young for a stroke, MacGivered his blue FIAT back together at the Loon Lake overlook.

Brain stem problem is bad, very bad
GTeener
sad.gif Crap! Late on this news. Non-club life keeping me away. I saw the banner and just read this thread. Talk about sudden! This news deeeply saddens me.

I had the fortunate pleasure of meeting James many times at our breakfast and Tied House gatherings. And he has been very generous to me with his time, knowledge and advice.

Joining in the prayers for a miracle.
RoadGlue
I just received an email update on James's condition from a close family friend of James and Susan. She wishes to remain anonymous at this time. I wish I had better news to share:

"You were right in your post on the Porsche board to describe James as “one of the good guys”. Unfortunately, he suffered a sudden, massive brain-stem hemorrhage, and will never regain consciousness. The family is taking comfort from their memories, and the knowledge that the nature of the catastrophic event is unlikely to have caused him pain. His wife and family have gathered, and are awaiting the inevitable end to his all-too-short life.

I spoke with his wife Susan yesterday and again this morning, and expect word of his passing at any time. When I get word of the family’s wishes with regards to a charity to which friends can make a donation, and of funeral arrangements, I will pass them on. In the meantime, please keep Susan and James and their extended families in your prayers. Please discourage the members of your group from sending flowers at this time."

sad.gif

I don't know what to say.
Scott Carlberg
Randy,
I am REALLY glad you made the decision to come back here, to the *club*.
You're a valuable member.

I know the Subject of this thread is the last thing that ANY of us Ever want to share with our friends here.

Thanks for the update.

RIP James.
Chris Pincetich
ohmy.gif
sad.gif
speachless....remember the good times and live each day to the fullest
Rand
Thanks for the update Randy. We need to hear.

I have put James on our church's prayer list (which will reach another 6000 people). While the reality of his situation may be difficult to deal with, I'm not giving up. We will continue to hope and pray and hang on all the way through this.

Come on James, we're pulling for you.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed.
Jenny
Thanks for posting the update Randy.

I am really at a loss for words. I lost my grandfather to an abdominal annurism two years ago... We did the same thing for him, just waited until he was ready to go.

Jen
Root_Werks
sad.gif I lost my father to cancer last here. He walked into a hospital feeling just a little ill and passed away 3 weeks later. I feel for the family. My father was also too young. I know what they are going through. sad.gif
Boojum
Man, that is really a terrible thing. I haven't been on this board for very long time but it's very easy to see how much love and esteem all you guys have for this man. It seems like the good people in this world leave it more frequently than some others. Undoubtedly, it's the love that we feel for them that makes their tragedies more painful and more apparent.

One of the most touching things I've ever personally witnessed was when a local biker passed on; he was one of the most respected amongst his peers, and a genuine good guy. There must have been 4000 bikes at and around the mortuary, and I understand that the funeral procession was a mile long, if not more. It was an amazing event, and in retrospect I must say that few people have had a comparable sendoff.
Bruce Allert
hands.gif

.......b
Qarl
Bad News... I've have been reading this for a few days and have been speechless.

$ sent for his fund...

RIP buddy!

sad.gif
bjorn jacobson
Pypal sent, still praying for a miracle.
Tobra
sort of figured this was what we were talking about when they said broken in head and brain stem, man that is just wrong
Mrs. K
hands.gif hands.gif hands.gif hands.gif hands.gif

God be with you and your family dear James driving.gif

donation sent too........

Lisa
ThinAir
There are no right words to say about something like this. I've never met James, but that doesn't change the feeling of losing a very close family member. Susan and James are on my prayer list and have also been added to our church's list. hands.gif
Eric_Shea
This morning we lost a good one...

If you haven't yet, I would implore you to please donate to the Montebello family. The link is on page #4 of this thread and in various banners throughout.

100% of the proceeds will go to the family (meaning, we are covering the PayPal fees on this donation).

Show your gratitude for the tremendous contributions James has made to this board and to our lives. His words and wisdom will live on here.

Thanks James! smilie_pokal.gif
RoadGlue
James's friend Patrick (pffft on this board) posted on the Fiat board this morning that James has passed on:

"James died at about 1:30 this morning.

From Susan, his wife:
"He was surrounded by family. He never suffered, and
he is at peace now.""

My deepest sympathies for his wife, family and friends. What a terrible, sudden loss.

May he rest in peace,
jonwatts
Goodbye friend.

Dr Evil
Thanks for everything James. I'll do my best to finish the advance curve that you were helping me on. Peace to you, your family, and friends.

I like the idea Mifsud had about doing a memorial in the form of a parts donation section for folks feeling generous. This would remember a great guy in perpetuity by doing something that he always did, giving.

Keep us posted if there is anything that we can do, of course.

We already missed your presence, James.
sad.gif
SirAndy
goodby my friend, here's to all the good times we had ... beerchug.gif

R.I.P., you'll never be forgotten ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.