Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excellence Magazine 914 Valuations ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jake Raby

Damn- Looks like I FINALLY pissed someone off!

Mr. WRX,
I appreciate your reply..

Obviously if these people that say I build Grenades are worth a sack of salt then perhaps you'll post their names.. Even then unless they have experienced a failure first hand, they have no opinion of my engine. I have not had any engines fail, to my knowledge that were not brought to my attention. Of course we have things break, everyone does that is pushing the limits, but it does not happen often at all.

As far as pissed off customers, well they don't complain to me! It seems that things are not important enough to be brought up to me, but people run their mouths behind my back. The fact is that many of them are liars and have never bought anything from me.

I will use this opportunity to say that everyone in business pisses people off at some point, no one can please everyone. If anyone has a complaint please address it through the prer channels here and it will be addressed. I can't share experiences from pissed off customers if they don't choose to bring them to my attention!

I came back to this site because I got at least a dozen emails a week while I was gone from members that appreciated what I shared and what I do with the engines.

The fact is that I pissed in this guys corn flakes and now he is digging up whatever he can to use as ammunition against me. I don't build grenades at all and when something I build does break I do my best to work out the situation with the customer until they become disrecpectful or just plain mean, at which time they are on their own.

So... Since these people that were weighing in about me are so reputable I think they need to be identified along with a substantial explanation that lead them to their indirect conclusion that I build grenades...

I do ask that you let this die for just a few days till my dad gets out of the hospital- I have enough to worry about with him right now and would appreciate a break until the end of the week...

WRX914
All bs aside...

I sincerely hope your father is well. You and your family are in my prayers...

Let me know when you can get back in the ring.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 25 2006, 11:58 AM) *

All bs aside...

Thanks,
This has been a very hard weekend as my dad went in for normal back surgery (at least normal for those of us without two heart bypass surgeries and that don't have a dozen experiments in their chest cavity)

He lost a bit more blood than they liked (1 liter) and then had a heart attack while under anesthesia- all of this landed him in ICU...

I'm just not myself right now, I don't feel like working on engines or even being here at the shop, but i have to be today. I am geting ready to go back down and spend some time with him in a few minutes...

I am willing to give up on the watercooled bashing altogether. I'll continue to appreciate those that keep their 914 aircooled, but won't openly bash those that do not. Do what you want, its your car.
Lou W
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 25 2006, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 25 2006, 11:58 AM) *

All bs aside...

Thanks,
This has been a very hard weekend as my dad went in for normal back surgery (at least normal for those of us without two heart bypass surgeries and that don't have a dozen experiments in their chest cavity)

He lost a bit more blood than they liked (1 liter) and then had a heart attack while under anesthesia- all of this landed him in ICU...

I'm just not myself right now, I don't feel like working on engines or even being here at the shop, but i have to be today. I am geting ready to go back down and spend some time with him in a few minutes...

I am willing to give up on the watercooled bashing altogether. I'll continue to appreciate those that keep their 914 aircooled, but won't openly bash those that do not. Do what you want, its your car.

I too am sorry to hear about your dad, and will pray for him.

There's room here for all kinds of 914's, aircooled, watercooled and electric. That's what makes this place great. smile.gif
914nerd
Amen

Jake, your dad is in all of our prayers
Good luck, hope he gets better soon
Bleyseng
Screw the shop Jake!

spend time with your dad and everyone who has a engine order or parts will and can wait.
Mueller
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 22 2006, 11:17 AM) *

Can someone please scan and post the values smile.gif

the editor of Excellence is a member here and it's copyrighted material....it would kill you to spend $4 at your local bookstore biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 25 2006, 03:47 PM) *

Screw the shop Jake!

spend time with your dad and everyone who has a engine order or parts will and can wait.

It don't work that way. People don't understand and don't like to hear excuses more than I like to try and make explanations.

I wish it did, but with tough time lines and a hefty backlog we have to keep trucking so we never have to rush to stay on time...

Thats why I'm making this post from room 186 while I watch TV with my dad..
Rotary'14
I hope your dad pulls through with his operation/recovery. Discussing our cars in an adult manner and getting heated is one thing,, Family is another thing all together! Despite our differing opinions you and your family have my best wishes.

today was a good day at work,, the equipment didn't fail on me this time. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

-Rob
anthony
Sorry to hear about your dad Jake.
tod914
Jake hope your father has a speedy recovery.
G e o r g e
Jake,

you and your father are in my prayers

you definitely did not have to return my emails today
914rat
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 21 2006, 03:57 PM) *

It is never a good idea to bash your competition... Doesn't look good.

If I cared I wouldn't have posted it...

The guys that even consider a radiator for their car never even come close to calling me anyway...

Keep creating "Fieros" and I'll continue to bash away and make true statements. Look at barrett Jackson, how many bastardized cars do you see sell there for big bucks compared to their original counterparts??

The 914 is the "356 of tomorrow".. 10 years ago 356s were dirt cheap, now you won't find one for less than 20K unless its rotted away, the 914 is the same way..

I just really can't stand ANY car with a radiator, the only thing worse is a car that wasn't supposed to have one that had one shoehorned where it didn't belong.....

These days when you find someone that doesn't mind pissing off a few people to share his true feelings about something consider yourself lucky! I'm about as politically incorrect as I can be and if it costs me a few bucks so be it.... Its my money and I damn sure don't need any advice!

BTW_ I'm not pissed either, simply hardcore aircooled and refuse to drive anything else!

Woooah,Lets see here you can build a true supercar 300hp 2300lbs for half of the price of a bastardized type4 motor from Jake.Hmmm.I remember a bastardized British 2 seat roadster that a guy named Carroll Shelby bastardized called a Cobra .I don't think the 4cyl model can come close to the price of an original bastardized one.If a type 4 could be built to be reliable and powerful{say over 160hp] for less than an obscene price maybe more owners wouldn't put radiators in them .Sorry Jake as they say in France "touche".By the way I'm not pissed off either.I spent way to much trying to get a type 4 to go fast.I wish I'd done a V8 or a Six.My 2 cents.Hindsight sucks.The other Dr. 914 reccomends leaving the 4cyl cars bone stock to hold value .Read George Husseys opinions about hotrodded 914 4 cyl. engines. In the end the best modification to improve value is a flat six.The best value for performance is a V8 hands down.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(914rat @ Sep 25 2006, 07:59 PM) *

The guys that even consider a radiator for their car never even come close to calling me anyway...

Keep creating "Fieros" and I'll continue to bash away and make true statements. Look at barrett Jackson, how many bastardized cars do you see sell there for big bucks compared to their original counterparts??

The 914 is the "356 of tomorrow".. 10 years ago 356s were dirt cheap, now you won't find one for less than 20K unless its rotted away, the 914 is the same way..

I just really can't stand ANY car with a radiator, the only thing worse is a car that wasn't supposed to have one that had one shoehorned where it didn't belong.....

These days when you find someone that doesn't mind pissing off a few people to share his true feelings about something consider yourself lucky! I'm about as politically incorrect as I can be and if it costs me a few bucks so be it.... Its my money and I damn sure don't need any advice!

BTW_ I'm not pissed either, simply hardcore aircooled and refuse to drive anything else!

Read George Husseys opinions about hotrodded 914 4 cyl. engines. In the end the best modification to improve value is a flat six.The best value for performance is a V8 hands down.

av-943.gif av-943.gif

try to sell a V8 car......

Flat sixes are nice if done like the factory six and you use atleast a 3.0l. Its still $10K and climbing to do.

You can install a 2270 w/ 160hp for alot less and I don't think a HiPo 4 loses value as its still a flat 4. Wild mods are what don't bring money later but if you keep your car so it CAN be made stock again is what brings money. Some like the car bone stock others don't.

Jake is breaking new ground with his type 4 engines and I think you are still stuck in the past.
Jake Raby
A modified four can be removed along with it's external ancillary components and swapped back to 100% stock in one weekend if need be. You can't do that with irreversible mods like sixes, V8s and subbies.. But at this point 914s still are not worth the money that make people think this way. My 356 customers do think this way and they keep their original engine pickled under the work bench 100% complete more times than not.

As far as what Hussey thinks:
Who cares? To my knowledge he never attempted to understand the 4 cylinder engine the way that one should before making such certain opinions. The engine that I create is nothing like most people have created over the years, especially today's versions. In the early days the way the engines were built, with stock rods, crappy bearings, unreliable valvetrain parts and the like I can see where he would have gotten his opinions.

The fact is what was done 30 years ago and what I have done in just the past 30 days is not even on the same planet. Today we have more experience, better parts and better manufacturing capabilities that open up doors for extreme component development.

The Dr. can think as he wishes, but I'll continue writing my own prescriptions.
thomasotten
QUOTE(914rat @ Sep 25 2006, 06:59 PM) *

The other Dr. 914 reccomends leaving the 4cyl cars bone stock to hold value .Read George Husseys opinions about hotrodded 914 4 cyl. engines. In the end the best modification to improve value is a flat six.The best value for performance is a V8 hands down.

You don't see a lot of people buying engines from him do you? Putting a V8 in an air cooled Porsche is just wrong.
914rat
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 25 2006, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(914rat @ Sep 25 2006, 07:59 PM) *

Read George Husseys opinions about hotrodded 914 4 cyl. engines. In the end the best modification to improve value is a flat six.The best value for performance is a V8 hands down.

av-943.gif av-943.gif

try to sell a V8 car......

Flat sixes are nice if done like the factory six and you use atleast a 3.0l. Its still $10K and climbing to do.

You can install a 2270 w/ 160hp for alot less and I don't think a HiPo 4 loses value as its still a flat 4. Wild mods are what don't bring money later but if you keep your car so it CAN be made stock again is what brings money. Some like the car bone stock others don't.

Jake is breaking new ground with his type 4 engines and I think you are still stuck in the past.

Ok I missed something $10k gets you a six how much is a 2270 from Jake?I keep hearing $10k.Why would I want a 2270?
914rat
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 25 2006, 08:50 PM) *

A modified four can be removed along with it's external ancillary components and swapped back to 100% stock in one weekend if need be. You can't do that with irreversible mods like sixes, V8s and subbies.. But at this point 914s still are not worth the money that make people think this way. My 356 customers do think this way and they keep their original engine pickled under the work bench 100% complete more times than not.

As far as what Hussey thinks:
Who cares? To my knowledge he never attempted to understand the 4 cylinder engine the way that one should before making such certain opinions. The engine that I create is nothing like most people have created over the years, especially today's versions. In the early days the way the engines were built, with stock rods, crappy bearings, unreliable valvetrain parts and the like I can see where he would have gotten his opinions.

The fact is what was done 30 years ago and what I have done in just the past 30 days is not even on the same planet. Today we have more experience, better parts and better manufacturing capabilities that open up doors for extreme component development.

Thanks for the R&D you do on the type 4 maybe if a 2270 turn key motor was possible for say $5k for 165hp I'd consider it, the numbers just don't exite me.To spend $10k for a type 4 and another $1k for tangerine headers and still be behind a 3.0 six on the interstate would piss me off.Keep doing what you do maybe someday all of your R&D will pay off and the price will come down.I'm a retailer and in a service business, when selling 1or 2 here and there becomes selling 2 a day and the R&D is long since paid for maybe we will all have motors by Jake.I hope your dad is doing well keep the faith. LaDon.
Jake Raby
The R&D keeps giving more benefit for the same cost. I have no intention of dropping the price of my complete engines, they have too much time in them.

A good example is the fact that this time last year my strongest 2270 is now weaker than my least powerful 2270 combo- we gained 30HP in one year from the same sized engine with the same CR and did it through development! That same engine now is the exact same base price as it was a year ago.

What people don't look at is the cost after the install. My engine is initially expensive, but parts at rebuild time or when/if something does fail are drastically reduced from a six. Most six conversions are done with used engines, while the six lasts a long time the engine is still used and that can be a basket case from the beginning. That basket case can cost 10K to rebuild stock... The TIV parts at that point are much cheaper and since the engine is much simpler the repair may cost 25% of that of the six.. The added benefit is you don't have to spend thousands of dollars in tools to repair the TIV yourself and you are not dependant upon a Porsche mech to work ont he engine- a VW person is the best man for the job...

Yes, my complete engine is expensive- each one gets at least 80 hours + of effort into it, do the math that most Porsche shops charge 65.00 per hur just for tune up work and you'll see that my labor, especially at the level it is at is very cheap and I'm doing one hell of a lot more than a tune up.

If I was in this for huge masses of engines that were less developed then m prices would be less per engine. I would most certainly rather build less engines with better results for those that appreciate my work more. This year we won't even build 18 engines if we stay on the current course- most mass producers build that many per week and they don't do a damn bit of development.. I quit trying to justify prices long ago-

I have contemplated opening another division of my shop specializing in lesser developed engines for cheaper prices, (while still keeping the custom shop open as well for those who expect more and are willing to pay for it) but don't want the headaches associated with people cutting corners during install and the isues with having customers that are numbers in a book, not a name in my head and a voice that I recognize. With volume comes cheaper prices, but less quality and more bullshit.

If these engines were more forgiving I would consider volume more, but its easy to lose a reputation when volume goes up. I have learnbed that people on a budget seem to spend the money in the wrong place and they do incomplete hasty installs that can kill the best engine fast. Those guys are the ones that cause the issues that I hate to deal with. The way my current engine program works those guys deal with others and the residual are the guys that will wait 10 months for a developed engine, not cut corners during the install and respect what they paid good money for me to create.

FYI- My engine kits have dropped in price with volume increases. Engine kits are now cheaper than I sold them in 1999 and make as much as 40HP more than they did then for 500-1500 bucks more!

I'd be perfectly happy if we built as little as 10 engines per year and with some of the crazy projects I have for 2007 and also 2008 engines already scheduled I can see this becoming the way of the future. We'll keep building kits and supporting the kits so the customer can build them at home even better. My new video series will aid in this extremely..

Oh well, it was a good day at the hospital today so I wandered off typing, overlook me as always :-) My dad **might** be home tomorrow!
Bleyseng
Yep the $10k six includes a 3.0L IF YOU CAN luck out and find one for $4500 that doesn't need work.

Add $3000 for a top end refresh

A Raby kit 2270 runs about $5.5+with now 170hp and is a kit that you do to rebuild your engine with mostly new parts.
and it weighs 100lbs less

2200lbs/170hp=12.95hp per lb
2350lbs/180hp=13.05hp per lb (3.0)

thats why guys are using 100k 3.2's or 3.6's now running $5k to $10k to save on topend costs but it costs a bit more to install so more than $10k.

just so many varibles but the news is NOW it is possible to get high hp fours that install cheaper and last more than six months.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 25 2006, 08:50 PM) *

owned.gif ohmy.gif
I think Jake is winning! I think his point about most 6 conversions are old engines is really something to think about. Rebuilding a 6 is so expensive, some people just swap in another used SC motor and hope for another 50k miles. The motor Jake delivers IS rebuilt and if not flogged on irresponsibly could go 100-200K. I like the idea of saving my OG 914 parts so I could swap them back to have the car very original (i.e. wheels, door panels, fog lights). Unless I have to move and loose my garage then it's all going to the classifieds!! biggrin.gif
My 0.02 = a car is only worth what someone will pay.... beerchug.gif

p.s. Jake, great news about your Dad getting out of the hospital soon...make each day count cause the wind can switch directions at any moment.
anthony
Thanks for the R&D you do on the type 4 maybe if a 2270 turn key motor was possible for say $5k for 165hp I'd consider it, the numbers just don't exite me.To spend $10k for a type 4 and another $1k for tangerine headers and still be behind a 3.0 six on the interstate would piss me off.

I don't know who 914rat is or what axe he has to grind with Jake but I fail to understand why the 4 versus 6 bench racing discussion can't be done without personal put downs. After all we are only talking about engines here.

To each his own, pay your money and buy what you want. Feel free to intelligently debate the merits of each motor.

To put some stuff in perspective, call up your mechanic and get a quote for a full rebuild on a stock 90hp type IV. Also get a quote on rebuilding your 3L six at the same time.

Jake's business caters to the high end. It's a unique product and most of us can't afford it. If you want a price comparison, call up Jerry Woods and ask about a high performance build on a 911 engine. I bet his prices make Jake's look inexpensive.

McMark is doing turnkey 2056es with RAT parts for those that want a turn-key solution for around $5K. Jake also sells kits at various price points if you want to do it by yourself cheaper or if you want more power than a 2056.

I've wanted more power for a long time. I've done the math many times. A medium mileage 3L goes for around $4-5K and are hard to find in excellent running condition with no broken head studs. 3.2 have shot up in price. Try and find a nice one for less than $6K. On top of that add $4K for 4 to 6 conversion parts and maybe a hundred hours of conversion time for a first timer. Call a 914 guru and ask how much a turn-key big six conversion will cost. I was quoted $12K for a 3.2 conversion 2 years ago.

When I look at it, sometimes a six makes the most sense and then sometimes a hot type IV makes the most sense. It depends on your price point, how much work and fabrication you are willing to do, how much risk you are willing to take, and what your end goal is.

grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 26 2006, 04:44 PM) *

What people don't look at is the cost after the install. My engine is initially expensive, but parts at rebuild time or when/if something does fail are drastically reduced from a six. Most six conversions are done with used engines, while the six lasts a long time the engine is still used and that can be a basket case from the beginning. That basket case can cost 10K to rebuild stock... The TIV parts at that point are much cheaper and since the engine is much simpler the repair may cost 25% of that of the six.. The added benefit is you don't have to spend thousands of dollars in tools to repair the TIV yourself and you are not dependant upon a Porsche mech to work ont he engine- a VW person is the best man for the job...

Just wanted to present fair and balanced used six story in the wake of this calumniatory posting toward the Porsche flat six. I bought my running 2.4 six engine with weber carbs for $2000. I have driven the car for a full season and the engine is still running strong. Just listen to $2000 of vintage Porsche power pulling my car around Laguna Seca. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQIeGJDK490. ...and that unknown white car in front of me has a $1500 2.0 six with webers that seems to be doing just fine too! biggrin.gif

I know of several other six conversions with engines that were purchased under $4000 that are still running strong years after conversion. I just dont buy the "used six motor is expensive" scare tactics of some fervent T4 builders.

T4 is a great little motor and serves its purposes for some. Small bore six conversions are a heck of a lot of fun and just suit these cars so nicely. And want to talk about resale values of a 914-6 conversion compared to a big bore T4? givemebeer.gif
anthony
Grant, I don't see how that is "fair and balanced". Super deals like your engine don't really come along every day. 911 webers alone are worth $1200 so a whole engine for $2000 is a smoking deal that is not duplicated for than a couple times a year by the lucky few who find them.

The downside of a used engine is TurtleGirl's bad luck. People don't talk about that scenario as much when telling us about their smoking deals on a six.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=61242

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 21 2006, 06:57 PM) *

Bleyseng
Or there is Eddie914 a local guy to me, who blew up his old 2.7l then found another "good" 2.7l to install. Total POS that wasn't even worth rebuilding.

Found a 3.2 that needed work but paid the money to have it done. I haven't heard the total cost but it wasn't a cheap road to follow.....

Sixes are expensive and fixing a six is really expensive

A Raby kit is decent and you have to put it together to get big hp.

A six conversion is something most guys do themselves for the $10-12k. Parts are getting to be over $5k. Factory parts, like oil tanks etc....

The point I am making is its harder and more expensive to do a six than it was and its finally a good option to install a hipo 4.

I also see Turtlegirls six holed a piston. mad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 26 2006, 08:52 PM) *

Or there is Eddie914 a local guy to me, who blew up his old 2.7l then found another "good" 2.7l to install. Total POS that wasn't even worth rebuilding.

Found a 3.2 that needed work but paid the money to have it done. I haven't heard the total cost but it wasn't a cheap road to follow.....

Sixes are expensive and fixing a six is really expensive

A Raby kit is decent and you have to put it together to get big hp.

A six conversion is something most guys do themselves for the $10-12k. Parts are getting to be over $5k. Factory parts, like oil tanks etc....

The point I am making is its harder and more expensive to do a six than it was and its finally a good option to install a hipo 4.

Or.....you could just leave it alone, take the top off, hit the back roads & listen to the songs of a simple 4.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 26 2006, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 26 2006, 04:44 PM) *

Just wanted to present fair and balanced used six story in the wake of this calumniatory posting toward the Porsche flat six. I bought my running 2.4 six engine with weber carbs for $2000. I have driven the car for a full season and the engine is still running strong. Just listen to $2000 of vintage Porsche power pulling my car around Laguna Seca. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQIeGJDK490. ...and that unknown white car in front of me has a $1500 2.0 six with webers that seems to be doing just fine too! biggrin.gif

I know of several other six conversions with engines that were purchased under $4000 that are still running strong years after conversion. I just dont buy the "used six motor is expensive" scare tactics of some fervent T4 builders.

T4 is a great little motor and serves its purposes for some. Small bore six conversions are a heck of a lot of fun and just suit these cars so nicely. And want to talk about resale values of a 914-6 conversion compared to a big bore T4? givemebeer.gif

yeah a six makes sense to me these days....

car is worth Maybe $10k as it sits
add $12k of six parts

sell for maybe $15k

or

do a Raby kit for $6k

maybe sell for $13k
Katmanken
Jake ,

I wish the best for your dad's speedy recovery. He is one tough old goat.

As for the other stuff, I really enjoy reading your posts and your opinions. I may not always agree with you, but there is never a dull moment.

In fact, I appreciate your coming over to this site and preaching the TIV religion- because that is what it is to you- a religion. Regardless of everybody's bitching about my engine choice is better, that fervor of yours has given us more reliability and more power for TIV's at a not too bad price.

A lotta guys think that 10K+ is a lota money for a built engine, and it is. But on the other hand, I'm enough of a geek engineer to know that the small runs of parts are expen$ive (low volumes), aircooled parts are getting fewer, and quality has declined over the years. So, for that built engine, Jake buys the best parts that he can find (that's $$$ for the best parts and he's tried them all to find them), has them cleaned and treated and machined up to his high standards, then he fanatically balances the parts, and goes into an engine building trance in a clean room to build the customer's beast. Once it is built he then tests the crap outta it on the dyno to break it in and find the best settings, jettings, etc. for that combo o' parts. Did I mention all the parts and combo's he built and tested on his nickle to find something he felt good enough about to sell? That style beats the crap outa almost all of the other rebuilders.

You don't just buy a Raby engine, you pay money to adopt one of his kids, and he won't let just any one adopt one. If it does fail, Jake will want to know what happened to his baby and one of two things will happen, treat him like an ass and you get nothing, treat him like a person and he will bend over backwards.

So Reverend Raby of the Church of the Aircooled, keep the faith and keep making things happen.

Sure ya don't want to bring Vanagon engines into your fold? They are flat opposed fours and have a lot of redeeming features?? happy11.gif

Build or buy what you like, I'm glad we have Jake. Without him, TIV quality would be way down...

Ken
Jake Raby
Kwales, Thats a most excellent post and I really appreciate it !!

Now- I just feel sorry for the guys that started this thread as we totally abused it and got it off into la la land from the beginning and for that accept my apologies..

I continue to develop, the new dyno gets here tomorrow and the construction of the test cell begins ASAP upon my dads return from the hospital.. I bought a second dyno so one of the two could constantly house a development project for long term periods and not hamper our testing of customers engines. With the CNC capabilities I'll have by Spring and more R/D gadgets the envelope will be pushed farther.

I'll do my best not to be as much of an ass either, its my nature to get so caught up in the topic not to care how its presented or what the reader feels after reading it. Too often the topic supercedes everything else and people get mad at me when all I am trying to do is make a point... Some of the intensity needs to stop and I'm working on that!
grantsfo
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 26 2006, 05:46 PM) *

Grant, I don't see how that is "fair and balanced". Super deals like your engine don't really come along every day. 911 webers alone are worth $1200 so a whole engine for $2000 is a smoking deal that is not duplicated for than a couple times a year by the lucky few who find them.

The downside of a used engine is TurtleGirl's bad luck. People don't talk about that scenario as much when telling us about their smoking deals on a six.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=61242

And people dont talk much about common failures in big T4 motors much either. I would challenge the assumption that there arent affordable sixes out there. I passed up some very nice $3000 and $4000 motors during my search. I'm curious if Turtlegirls motor will require that $12K rebuild?
Bleyseng
We all know about the common failures of old skool t4's, they didn't have nickies or brandnew heads!

I bought a sold a decent 2.4 as I just couldn't pour all that cash into a 130hp six/

Looked at a few, tried to buy a few 3.0's and a 3.2 but shit happens.

I hope turtlegirls six is cheaply fixable. sad.gif Eddie914 wasn't alfred.gif
914rat
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 26 2006, 05:29 PM) *

Thanks for the R&D you do on the type 4 maybe if a 2270 turn key motor was possible for say $5k for 165hp I'd consider it, the numbers just don't exite me.To spend $10k for a type 4 and another $1k for tangerine headers and still be behind a 3.0 six on the interstate would piss me off.

I don't know who 914rat is or what axe he has to grind with Jake but I fail to understand why the 4 versus 6 bench racing discussion can't be done without personal put downs. After all we are only talking about engines here.

To each his own, pay your money and buy what you want. Feel free to intelligently debate the merits of each motor.

To put some stuff in perspective, call up your mechanic and get a quote for a full rebuild on a stock 90hp type IV. Also get a quote on rebuilding your 3L six at the same time.

Jake's business caters to the high end. It's a unique product and most of us can't afford it. If you want a price comparison, call up Jerry Woods and ask about a high performance build on a 911 engine. I bet his prices make Jake's look inexpensive.

McMark is doing turnkey 2056es with RAT parts for those that want a turn-key solution for around $5K. Jake also sells kits at various price points if you want to do it by yourself cheaper or if you want more power than a 2056.

I've wanted more power for a long time. I've done the math many times. A medium mileage 3L goes for around $4-5K and are hard to find in excellent running condition with no broken head studs. 3.2 have shot up in price. Try and find a nice one for less than $6K. On top of that add $4K for 4 to 6 conversion parts and maybe a hundred hours of conversion time for a first timer. Call a 914 guru and ask how much a turn-key big six conversion will cost. I was quoted $12K for a 3.2 conversion 2 years ago.

When I look at it, sometimes a six makes the most sense and then sometimes a hot type IV makes the most sense. It depends on your price point, how much work and fabrication you are willing to do, how much risk you are willing to take, and what your end goal is.

I personally don't have an ax to grind with Jake anymore than he has an ax to grind with 6 or 8 conversions.He has done a remarkable job with his R&D on type 4 engines .I have owned air cooled cars since the early 70's and 914's since early 90's,I love these cars,I love working on them,polishing them,vacuuming them,cleaning the windows and finally driving.gif them.In a world where you can buy a HiPo Chevy or Ford crate engine from a quality rebuilder for $4000 turn key with 300-400hp I just couldn't pull the trigger on a Type 4 for $10k plus.Thats not an attack on Jake just my take on why most of us choose other options.I own 6 914's ,a restored 74 2.0 (2056) Low rust Calif. car that is my driver.A 71 that has been cosmetically restored and has 911 5lug conversion waiting for a drivetrain.A running 73 2.0 rusty in need of restoration,a 74 2.0 project with steel gt fenders,a running 73 1.7 project,and a 74 parts car that is just a shell.In my humble opinion the 914 deserves more than a type 4 can give for the $ spent at this time.Nothing personal. As far as I'm concerned there are no bad options, if Jake only wants to build 10 motors a year most of us would have to stand in line to plunk down the $10 k anyway.I'm leaning towards a V8 in my 71 not necessarily because it's cheaper ,but because it's twice the power for half the money.As far as resale who cares I'm building it to driving.gif .When its done I have 3 more to tinker with.As for the the put downs read Jakes first post on this thread,he asked for it and I think he revels in it,I also think he has the balls to back it up,and the shoulders to carry it.See ya in the rearview.LaDon.
thomasotten
As far as value goes, it all depends on the quality of the final product. If you have a big four that you and a "VW guy" slapped together based on guesswork, and what "he knows" and it runs so-so, but overheats, etc., then it will show in the other areas where corners were cut with the car. One thing Jake has going for him is reputation, and that translates to value - a 914 with one of Jake's engines is automatically worth more money. I saw one for sale somoewhere here in Texas with a 2056 and I was considering buying it just for the engine. Luckily, I got in on the 20% off special on a 2056 engine kit, so I will be going that route. So, I don't think that it is fair to say that cost wise it doesn't make sense to build a big 4. It made the most sense for me. I was really considering a six, but it was just something that would delay my project several years. Find a six, hope it runs good, buy conversion parts, get it running, figure out all the plumbing, brace for a possible rebuild. It is a lot of work to go through when you could be driving.

Oh, and one last thing. Listening to Jake, and talking to him on the phone, and reading his website and posts, one thing that has made this purchase easier for me is trust. I can say with a lot of confidence that I trust I am going to get the best engine for my money, and that I am not getting crappy parts. I sent my money away and haven't worried about it at all, because I know I am not going to get screwed, and I trust that the engine kit will be quality, and has his R&D to back it up.
Jake Raby
I sent my money away and haven't worried about it at all, because I know I am not going to get screwed, and I trust that the engine kit will be quality, and has his R&D to back it up.

Thats what I shoot for and all that makes me ultimately happy..

I will say that if someone doesn't trust me- i refuse to sell them a complete engine..

BTW- Two weeks ago one of my engines was on the Samba that I built in 2001. The customer was selling it because he pulled it from his VW Thing to install the original engine back into, to sell for more money. When the car sold, he then posted the engine on the samba..

He paid me about 6K for the engine in 2001, he sold it 5 years later for 5K!

Go buy a car for 6K and see if you can sell it 5 years later for 5K- that shit don't happen!

I have had customers start build projects with me, get half way through and go broke leaving an open tab with me not being too happy about it. In one of these instances the customer sold the engine as soon as I finished it for 1500 bucks MORE than he PAID ME FOR IT!

I have always serialized my engines, non consectutively due to imposters. Its a common occurence for me to get at least one email a month from someone looking at a car with "Jake's engine" and come to find out it does not have a serial number, or it has a fake one that doesn't match the parameters.... People do that to help the value of their cars and do it very dishonestly! (It is a huge compliment to me though!)
Mark Henry
My /4 will have it's numbers matching engine sitting on a shelf. I will cut no holes in the car anywhere.

In Canada there is no way in hell you can buy a "good" /6 engine for under 6k...unless it's hot, worn out or a wimpy small /6.

I just built a 2.6 /4 for a 356, first dyno runs we got 150rwhp.
Mark Henry
One thing I've always wondered on a CSOB /6 convertion...doesn't the engine balance go out the window? Or does engine balance mean squat on a /6?

How many of you have had an engine balance whan installing the new fly and PP?
Or do you just shrug and cross every finger and toe you can?
Steve Thacker
Damn this is a touchy subject for some people. I sit here and think who the hell just pissed on the electric fence? Or has their tampon in crooked? gezzz

Look....old car and a bunch of us dumbasses who throw our money into something that doesn't pay a tinkers damn in resale. Whoopie shit! Welcome to the ownership of classic cars, don't matter which one, just pick something. Throw what you wish in the sucker and get it down the road. When something breaks "and it will" its back up on those purdy jackstands. Oh well such is life.

I really appreciate the hard work anyone throws into something. Jake and others like him here on the site are the ones who reach for the stars. I think it is shameful to put these people down...period. Cheap ass sumbitches like me appreciate the hell out of these stars, but I do admit trying to get a dime out of us is like trying to get blood from a turnip. I kind of think of us as the Rambler owners of classic Porsche cars, OK so we aren't that cheap but damn near.

God knows I already spent too much bastardizing my car already and when the motor goes, then I'll be looking for anything I can shoehorn in, just so I can drive it. And yes the John Deere tractor out in the backyard is fair game! Why?! Because my ole lady is not about to let another silver dime slip out between her fingers for this old car.

And I quote the ole lady and gump who said..."and thats all I got to say about that".....
anthony
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Sep 27 2006, 10:19 AM) *

Look....old car and a bunch of us dumbasses who throw our money into something that doesn't pay a tinkers damn in resale. Whoopie shit! Welcome to the ownership of classic cars, don't matter which one, just pick something. Throw what you wish in the sucker and get it down the road. When something breaks "and it will" its back up on those purdy jackstands. Oh well such is life.

Well said Steve!

I find it interesting that people get so tweeked by the thought of spending $5 or $10K on an engine. Maybe it's because of the entry level price of the 914 chassis?

Most people go and buy a new car every 4 or 5 years and lose more than that in depreciation. I've met tons of guys with six conversions that have $25-35K into their car. Why are they any more correct that the guy that buys a custom engine from Jake for $15K? I know guys that have $$$$ into a track car and spend $1K for a weekend of racing several times a year. Nobody tells them they are fools for pissing their money away. In the end it's just money and you can't take it with you. Spend it how you like.
Mark Henry
Well said guys.

Reminds me of how I got my teen in the first place. I was going to put $5k into a Gene Berg 5-speed tranny for my bug and along came my teen. Needless to say I don't have a 5-speed in the bug, but I got a whole car and guess what...it has a 5-speed.

Anything that approaches $10-20K I better get a whole car or the wife would shoot me.

drewvw
well said.....now you have me thinking about a 914 /John Deere in all green and yellow. lol

Deersche
WRX914
I think the "Peel" sold for around $20k and it is a V8...

Blow up a Subie and spend $1500.00 and swap the entire engine. Not just the short-block, but the whole damn thing! That is the best part of the Subies... The engines if harmed are virtually disposable. I don't know about the rest of you, but there is something nice about being able to flog the shit out of your engine without the worries of costly repair bills.

Subies rule!

poke.gif

btw: Good to hear your dad is getting better...

Jake Raby
I did a Suby swap into a VW Bug in 1994...

I have contemplated several different ways to expand business, more six work, more 356 work, higher volume TIV work and even Suby work.... I just can't do the suby thing, if I did the entire world would probably come to an end.. :-)

I have built the engines and know I could make them do insane things. They just don't have the aircooled character, though..
WRX914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 27 2006, 02:29 PM) *

I did a Suby swap into a VW Bug in 1994...

I have contemplated several different ways to expand business, more six work, more 356 work, higher volume TIV work and even Suby work.... I just can't do the suby thing, if I did the entire world would probably come to an end.. :-)

I have built the engines and know I could make them do insane things. They just don't have the aircooled character, though..

Right on Jake!

perfect candor... much respect...

grantsfo
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 27 2006, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Sep 27 2006, 10:19 AM) *

I've met tons of guys with six conversions that have $25-35K into their car. Why are they any more correct that the guy that buys a custom engine from Jake for $15K? I know guys that have $$$$ into a track car and spend $1K for a weekend of racing several times a year. Nobody tells them they are fools for pissing their money away. In the end it's just money and you can't take it with you. Spend it how you like.

But how about us guys who have those under $6,000 six conversions? There are more than just a few of us who have gone this route successfully and I did mine paying a mechanic to do the conversion.

I dont think people are fools for doing a T4. I'm likely to do a T4 car in the future! My biggest gripe is with this Raby guy and his quasi religious herd of sheep putting out disparging and untruthful information related to six conversions. I dont go around saying a Raby T4 will ruin your car. This Raby character has no problem going on his radio show and public forums telling people in the market for 914's that conversions ruin the car. Maybe if he spent more time just focusing on making his products better and less focused on bashing his competition there would be less emotion around this subject. But I dont think that fits Jakes business model.
DNHunt
Grant, who the hell kicked your cat. I really resent your statement about "a quasi religious heard of sheep" In fact, I'm glad we're 1200 miles apart. Sheep I'm not. I spent a lot of time deciding what to do with my car and I didn't blindly follow Jake like he's the Pied Piper. You have a beef with Jake fine, deal with him about it but, don't start insulting the rest of us cause you can't accept there's more than one way to enjoy these little cars. KMA.gif

Dave
Jake Raby
Maybe if he spent more time just focusing on making his products better and less focused on bashing his competition there would be less emotion around this subject.

Oh man, what fun would that be??

But I dont think that fits Jakes business model.

Hell, I don't even have a business model. I dream up shit, make it work and sell it... I don't put much time at all into business planning and haven't had to and hope I never do...

As long as the bottom line puts food on the table and allows me to play with toys all day long I could care less! The "red Line" concerns me much more than the bottom line!
G e o r g e
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 27 2006, 03:54 PM) *

But how about us guys who have those under $6,000 six conversions?

This Raby character has no problem going on his radio show and public forums telling people in the market for 914's that conversions ruin the car.

Grant,

i'm glad you were able to get your six conversion for under 6000k,

and i'm sure it is possible to do, but if your 1.8 would have grenaded on you 2 years ago you would have paid alot more than 6 k to put a six in it and get it back on the road quickly.

you had the luxury of time to find the parts need at your leisure.

but what's with the never ending hostility towards jake, confused24.gif

if he post some where you are sure to follow, let it go beerchug.gif
anthony
Grant, how much shop time on top of that $6000 to finish your conversion? We know you got a screaming deal of an engine for $2K and then you needed $4K in conversion parts. How much was the total bill with installation?

My biggest gripe is with this Raby guy and his quasi religious herd of sheep putting out disparging and untruthful information related to six conversions.

I honestly haven't seen that. There aren't even that many guys in the Raby herd around here.

To me, the sad thing is that there isn't any other engine builder out there advancing the type IV cause like Jake is. If they are, they must be keeping it a secret because they don't post here, they don't share information, and they don't market to 914 owners.

If I wanted to buy a 2270 kit, where else could I comparison shop for one? Where could I even buy the parts and know they would fit together?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 27 2006, 04:57 PM) *

To me, the sad thing is that there isn't any other engine builder out there advancing the type IV cause like Jake is. If they are, they must be keeping it a secret because they don't post here, they don't share information, and they don't market to 914 owners.

If I wanted to buy a 2270 kit, where else could I comparison shop for one? Where could I even buy the parts and know they would fit together?

There are two other builders that work with these engines quite a bit, one of them is stuck in the 70s and won't change a damn thing about the offerings, the other is more into watercooled cars these days.

The Type 4 was/is uncharted ground and thats the main reason why i started working with them. I find it absolutely no fun at all to have the same products/engines as everyone else.

What a lot of people don't realize is the fact that we are not just making big developments in the TIV world, but developing an engine that used to be thrown away into something thats getting nabbed up by people all over the world. If you compare other more exotic engines to what we are doing you'll see that this kind of development is not going on that much even in other types of engines- at least not at the rate of progression we have.

I'm not slowing down at all... This Bus doesn't wait on the slow kid to make it to the bus stop, we leave his ass!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.