Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Jury Duty
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 16 2006, 08:58 PM) *

They also have braille writing on drive up atm's.

And those same ATMs have CRT screens that blind people can't read anyway...

WTF.gif
Joe Bob
I would wear a fresh set of Depends, have a good book along with a six pack of coke and a hip flask.....I be fine....as long as the flask is big enuff....I can alwyas get more coke and re-read the book.....but that flask needs to be big...or have a couple of re-fills...

Fuckem...he's guilty.....big tits....maybe guilty....my ex wife....def-guilty....my momz....have to listen harder to the evidence....Jim Tab....GUILTY......
jimtab
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 16 2006, 06:58 PM) *

They also have braille writing on drive up atm's.

I think I drive to work with those guys....oh and Z...bite me...were all guilty...now if only we were all HUNG!!! Ha! biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jimtab @ Oct 17 2006, 10:46 PM) *

now if only we were all HUNG!!! Ha! biggrin.gif

You mean everyone is NOT??

zymurgist
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 16 2006, 09:50 PM) *

Kamikaze pilots wore helmets. blink.gif

But Roethlisberger didn't.

Oh yes. I went there.
STL914

I don't know if it could be called good or bad. A couple of things come immediately to mind:
  • You really don't want to be a poor person in the grips of our criminal justice system
  • No way in hell does all the evidence get presented (much of it is suppressed beforehand)

agree.gif

The case that I was a jurer for, the defendant was charged with 12 counts of armed bank robbery. The jury consisted of two men, the forman and myself, and ten women. After hearing the "evidence", we took an informal poll to see how people felt; 2 not guilty [us guys] and 10 guilty [the women]. We each expressed why we voted as we did. Now this gets scary. Image you are the defendant, and people deciding your fate think you are guilty because:

The police don't arrest innocent people

You had $400 in you pocket when stopped by the police

You look quilty

Sick and tired of people getting away with crimes. Someone has to pay and it might as well be you.

The police found a pair of Hush Puppy shoes in your closet, it doesn't matter that they do not match those in the picture from the bank's survelliance cameras.

It took the two of us fthree days to convince these women that the evidence was crap. A photo of the "suspect' was taken in January, in Wisconsin, shows someone wearing a down hooded parka, a ski mask and gloves. All you could see were lips and eyeballs. Piss poor evidence.

One more point. The defendant was in fact an FBI informant who actually called the FBI and local police to stake out the bank in question. The other robbers cut a deal with the DA saying that he was the brains behind the robberies.

Based on this experience, I would ask for a jugde to hear my case if I was ever taken to trial. At least he/she would have some intelligence.
tat2dphreak
my B-law professor told horror stories like that from when he was in criminal practice...
he siad the most basic questions were the ones he base his jury picks on... he said when asked "do you believe this person is guilty, and that's why he was arrested?" about 1/2 the room would say "yes": that eliminated 1/2 of the room right there... since they don't even understand the basis of our judical system: innocent until PROVEN guilty... he said after that he was ask a few more questions pertaining to basic law knowledge, and would usually only be left with a handful of people who could even possibly be considered...

scary to think about...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2006, 09:36 PM) *

Jury duty tomorrow morning 07:45. So when the judge asks, "is there any reason you should be excused from serving on this jury?" I say...?

i would actually have liked to do jury duty.

i got a letter two weeks ago, but unfortunately, i'm not a US citizen, so i'm not eligible ...
sad.gif Andy
jhadler
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 15 2006, 10:24 PM) *

You have a opportunity to exonerate the innocent.

And an opportunity to hold someone accountable.

In this day and age. Thats a rare opportunity.

C

agree.gif

I have only been summoned twice, niether time have I even made the selelction process. 1st, as a student, I was on break when summoned, and as a result did not even know about it untill it was too late. The second time, I already had travel plans that would have interefered, and was excused. I would like the privilege of serving. [having said that, I'll probably find a summons in the mail tonight when I get home...]

I do know that scientists and engineers are often excused by the lawyer that has the weakest case. Empirically oriented people tend to focus more on the hard evidence than the emotional issues involved. Makes it harder to sway by emotional or irrational arguments. I had a friend that was excused because he was asked if he knew how a breathalyzer works and after his response, the lawyer figured he probably knew more about it than the "expert" that was going to testify...

-Josh2
Kargeek
Just do it - it's a great experience. Been there, done that on a jury.

Next time though, reschuedle for a friday or Monday. On Monday's the case loads are low as a lot of cases get plea barganed on Friday so, most of the time- your excused- done for at least a year.

DH
Elliot_Cannon
I got picked to be on the jury. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday every week with Thanksgiving week off. Expected to last till Dec. 6th. "Happy to be here." "Proud to serve." Some guy is suing 3 different companys. He settled with one while we were being selected. Be nice if he settled with the other two before the trial starts. The good news is the chairs in the jury box swivel and rock. I hope I can stay alert. At least awake.
Elliot
TonyAKAVW
Wow, what a nice retirement gift!

No 914world.com I imagine.

-Tony

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 18 2006, 05:21 PM) *

I got picked to be on the jury. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday every week with Thanksgiving week off. Expected to last till Dec. 6th. "Happy to be here." "Proud to serve." Some guy is suing 3 different companys. He settled with one while we were being selected. Be nice if he settled with the other two before the trial starts. The good news is the chairs in the jury box swivel and rock. I hope I can stay alert. At least awake.
Elliot

Howard
Elliot,

Have you been selected, ie been thru voir dire and accepted by both sides? If not, say things like:

1] Personal responsibility
2] Buyer beware
3] Tired of frivolous law suits
4] Carry a copy of 'Runaway Jury'

happy11.gif happy11.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 18 2006, 06:10 AM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ Oct 17 2006, 10:46 PM) *

now if only we were all HUNG!!! Ha! biggrin.gif

You mean everyone is NOT??

I didn't mean like a 3 year old.... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.