Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Jury Duty
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Elliot_Cannon
Jury duty tomorrow morning 07:45. So when the judge asks, "is there any reason you should be excused from serving on this jury?" I say...? Any ideas?
Elliot
TINCAN914
Guilty !!!!!
Off with their heads!!!!

The little voices tell me no....

confused24.gif
Mrs. K
Tell him you belong to this club lol3.gif

Seriously, tell them you have a lot of personal friends who are in law enforcement wink.gif

PS........what court do you have to report to?

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Mrs. K @ Oct 15 2006, 09:49 PM) *

Seriously, tell them you have a lot of personal friends who are in law enforcement wink.gif

Lisa
mrs.K.gif

Superior Court of California. Orange County. It's up in Santa Ana. Been there many times.
Mrs. K
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2006, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Mrs. K @ Oct 15 2006, 09:49 PM) *

Lisa
mrs.K.gif

Superior Court of California. Orange County. It's up in Santa Ana. Been there many times.

You must know some OC law enforcement people, right?
Plus you can always tell then you don't thing you could give an unbiased opinion especially if it's a gang trial or something like that thumb3d.gif
anthony
Just don't show up if you don't want to do it. How are they going to prove that you received the summons? I bet 30% of those that get jury duty summonses never show up. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting arrested for evading jury duty?

Elliot_Cannon
Maybe I'll just wear my 914world.com hat and T shirt. Quoteing or carrying a Bible will also get you excused. Or I could just tell them I hang with Clayton and Joe Sharp. That otta do it!

night night, Elliot
jimtab
Tell em you know Z....that outta do it.....
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 15 2006, 10:04 PM) *

Just don't show up if you don't want to do it. How are they going to prove that you received the summons? I bet 30% of those that get jury duty summonses never show up. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting arrested for evading jury duty?

They know you got it cause ya gotta fill out a part of the summons and send it back. I already postponed it twice so a ran outa excuses. I just hope I can stay awake.
KaptKaos
You're retired! What else ya got to do? laugh.gif
So.Cal.914
Tell them you would be glad to do it because it is your civic duty, but due to

your multiple personality dis-order you will need 3 out of the 12 seats...maybe 4.

wacko.gif
Twystd1
You have a opportunity to exonerate the innocent.

And an opportunity to hold someone accountable.

In this day and age. Thats a rare opportunity.

C
Joe Bob
They cut me loose all the time.....I just tell what I do for a living and I think the DA is a Schmuck.....

Oh and Tabby..... bootyshake.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 15 2006, 11:07 PM) *

your multiple personality dis-order you will need 3 out of the 12 seats...maybe 4.

wacko.gif

laugh.gif Thats a good one
STL914
QUOTE(Mrs. K @ Oct 15 2006, 08:49 PM) *

Lisa
mrs.K.gif

That sure didn't work or me years ago back in Wisconsin. I have two cousins in the Sherrif's dept and another who was a Milwaukee cop plus a very close friend also a cop in Milwaukee. THis was a federal case, armed bank robbery and I thought I'd be excused too. NOT!
Gint
Actually serving on a trial jury is a pretty cool experience. Just do it.
ClayPerrine
I just carry a hardback copy of Tom Clancy's book "Without Remorse". I make sure the defense attorneys can see the covers. Works every time....

For those of you who don't know this book.... The main character is a ex-seal who starts vigilante killing drug dealers..... Good Book.

smontanaro
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 16 2006, 07:10 AM) *

Amen to that. I got called to jury duty for the first time a few months ago.
It turned out to be a first degree murder case. Gave me a new perspective
on the justice system.

Skip
BMartin914
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 15 2006, 10:24 PM) *

You have a opportunity to exonerate the innocent.

And an opportunity to hold someone accountable.

In this day and age. Thats a rare opportunity.

C

agree.gif
tat2dphreak
you already think he's guilty...

do you best alfred/hitler impersonation...

serving may be a great and noble act, but the pay sucks shit...

the 2 times I've been called, I was completely honest and still didn't have to serve... if I was picked, I'd serve and do my best... so, unless you REALLY can't do it, just roll with the punches, and see what happens
spare time toys
get in the middle of the pack when they let you in. Every time I go thats what I do. When they choose they start taking from #1 and may skip 1 or 2 folks but I have never seen them make it past #18. I go and sit in the back and am out at lunch time get my $7 from the balif and a full days pay from work and am home by 12 beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 16 2006, 05:16 AM) *

I just carry a hardback copy of Tom Clancy's book "Without Remorse". I make sure the defense attorneys can see the covers. Works every time...

Or a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" and John Lennon's last album.
smontanaro
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Oct 16 2006, 09:07 AM) *

get in the middle of the pack when they let you in. Every time I go thats what I do. When they choose they start taking from #1 and may skip 1 or 2 folks but I have never seen them make it past #18.

You've apparently never had jury duty in a large metro courthouse. At least in Chicago, selection for jury candidates for a given case is all done randomly.

Skip
Cap'n Krusty

Yes. In California, where many of us live, there is a bigtime statewide campaign to "correct the attitude" of people who don't show up for Jury duty. You might know of it if you read the newspaper. BTW, it's one of the VERY small prices we pay for the country we live in. Why would you want to shirk it? Elliot's retired, what could he possibly have to do that's more important than serving his country at the grassroots level? If you don't like serving on a jury, you always have the option of moving to a country where they don't have civilian juries, or even need them .......... The Cap'n
slapshot914
Just do it. You may get lucky and get to put some scum bag away. Last time I served on a jury, the guy was busted for selling drugs out of his apartment. When the cops came in the front door, he was shoving his 8 year old kid out the back door with his stash. Course the cops were already there and picked up the kid before he got 2 steps. When they searched the apartment, they found a loaded .357 mag behind the coach. Two little kids in the house with loaded weapons and he invovles the oldest one with his smack. Great Dad. I was more than happy to put him away. Do your job!
Aaron Cox
do it old man...

promise you wont fall asleep tho

AA
Air_Cooled_Nut
On my first jury duty summons everyone at work was really negative so I was really apprehensive. Wouldn't you know it, I became a juror! In the deliberation room everyone voted ME as the Jury Foreman! And we debated. And debated. And debated. Thanks to one bit..er, woman, we didn't get a majority vote on one of the three offenses. So the slim ball got nailed for two at least. I was out of work for one day of trial/deliberation, then the next 1/2-day of deliberation. And you know what? IT WAS FUN! It was a neat experience and I'll gladly do it again.

I don't understand why people don't want to do it confused24.gif Although, I'm one of those geeks who likes all of the "Law & Order" and "CSI" shows on TV.
anthony
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 16 2006, 08:02 AM) *

In California, where many of us live, there is a bigtime statewide campaign to "correct the attitude" of people who don't show up for Jury duty. You might know of it if you read the newspaper. BTW, it's one of the VERY small prices we pay for the country we live in. Why would you want to shirk it? Elliot's retired, what could he possibly have to do that's more important than serving his country at the grassroots level? If you don't like serving on a jury, you always have the option of moving to a country where they don't have civilian juries, or even need them .......... The Cap'n

John,

You read between the lines and extrapolate too much. I never said I wanted him to shirk his duty. He said he wanted to get out of it. I've always done my jury duty and always found it an interesting experience to say the least. Still, I think more people should have an out. I've been in jury sessions where the judge rips the people a new a-hole because he didn't like their flimsey excuse. I personally do think it's a hardship for people that may not have day care for their children, self employed people, or have low wage jobs that don't pay them while they are at jury duty.

Howard
Have never served on a jury. I keep showing up, but they just don't seem to like my attitude. Maybe not shaving for a few weeks and carrying a copy of the Koran has had something to do with it. blink.gif

Seriously, it is a duty and an honor. Marianne did 7 months on a murder jury. Really changes your perspective on many things. But I do agree with Anthony. It isn't fair to put certain people thru the hassle.

At least out here, the courts are getting smarter. In Ventura, the jury 'room' has a cafeteria, patio, Starbucks, and WiFi. No sitting in a stuffy courtroom waiting to be called. I don't mind a bit, but hey, I'm mostly retired.

ptravnic
I had grand jury duty earlier in the summer. 2 full weeks of hearing about NYC's finest busting cocaine & heroin dealers. It's a small price to pay for the liberties we receive. Plus, it was one hell of a lesson in group dynamics!

I can honesly say that I hope to never be judged by a jury of my peers.
Allan
Just have your employer fill out the hardship section and send it in.

Oh, wait av-943.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2006, 10:10 PM) *

They know you got it cause ya gotta fill out a part of the summons and send it back. I already postponed it twice so a ran outa excuses. I just hope I can stay awake.

I usually go to jury duty, but you know if they dont serve you in person with the summons you dont have to show as long as you dont send it back. You only get in trouble if you awknowledge the summons that is sent via mail and dont show.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 16 2006, 11:00 AM) *

I usually go to jury duty, but you know if they dont serve you in person with the summons you dont have to show as long as you dont send it back. You only get in trouble if you awknowledge the summons that is sent via mail and dont show.

Maybe in YOUR county, but not Santa Barbara County, and REALLY NOT LA County. They send people out to get you, and the judge has already heard all the stories. The Cap'n
Lou W
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Oct 16 2006, 06:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 16 2006, 07:10 AM) *

Amen to that. I got called to jury duty for the first time a few months ago.
It turned out to be a first degree murder case. Gave me a new perspective
on the justice system.

Skip

Im curious, your new perspective was it good or bad?
smontanaro
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 16 2006, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Oct 16 2006, 06:32 AM) *

Gave me a new perspective on the justice system.

Im curious, your new perspective was it good or bad?

I don't know if it could be called good or bad. A couple of things come immediately to mind:
  • You really don't want to be a poor person in the grips of our criminal justice system
  • No way in hell does all the evidence get presented (much of it is suppressed beforehand)
Brando
A jury of my peers? I couldn't imagine how it would be with 12 assorted flavors of the peanut gallery determining my fate popcorn[1].gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 16 2006, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 16 2006, 11:00 AM) *

Lots of barracks lawyers here. I'm surprised to get so much response from this post. I tried to do this as somewhat of a joke. Maybe we need a tongue in cheek smilie here. I don't mind serving jury duty although I would rather not. I have served 6 times in the last 20 years! I know many who have never been called. I've served my County and served my Country. My last jury was a two week murder trial. Not the most pleasant of times. As it turns out, I have to go back tomorrow and may be picked to serve on a jury in a civil trial. Asbestos. The trial is expected to last till Dec. 6th. Like the guy said, "He's retired. What else does he have to do!!" Thanks for all the input. We have a wonderfully diverse group here. I enjoy all the opinions and attitudes.

Cheers, Elliot

Maybe in YOUR county, but not Santa Barbara County, and REALLY NOT LA County. They send people out to get you, and the judge has already heard all the stories. The Cap'n

tdgray
QUOTE(Brando @ Oct 16 2006, 04:47 PM) *

A jury of my peers? I couldn't imagine how it would be with 12 assorted flavors of the peanut gallery determining my fate popcorn[1].gif

I just got this mental image of a jury made up of 914club people. blink.gif

SHIT... you'd be fried, shot and had the needle in the arm before the bailif says "come to order" biggrin.gif
JPB
av-943.gif
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 16 2006, 02:07 AM) *

wacko.gif

av-943.gif Excellence!!
JPB
My turn, I give you three options:

1. Just do it and post a daily on this forum as to the goodies if you can. happy11.gif

2. A way out is to just beg to be accepted to do this in the most honest way but keep one hand in your pants and cuped around your testicles. Wear a pair of sweet pants with a dress shirt and don't forget to act humble and sooo intersted to do your civil duty. smile.gif

3. Just be a good citizen and do the best you can.

beer.gif Let God sort them out in the end.
hmeeder
Well, I'm serving right now (not at this very moment, but you know what I mean.)

In San Diego Court the initial jury pool is chosen randomly by computer, as are the folks chosen to fill seats after people are excused.

The trial is tedious and the words "sense of urgency" is lost on the process. As they say, the wheels of Justice grind slowly, very slowly.

Having said that, I'm willing to serve and do it with all the seriousness it deserves. It is one of the things we need to do to earn the right to live and breathe in a somewhat, kinda, mostly free country.

Also, I neglected to show up the last time I got a summons (just spaced it. Had the day free and everything) and was nailed with a $200 fine. I wouldn't advise just "skipping it."
spare time toys
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Oct 16 2006, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(spare time toys @ Oct 16 2006, 09:07 AM) *

get in the middle of the pack when they let you in. Every time I go thats what I do. When they choose they start taking from #1 and may skip 1 or 2 folks but I have never seen them make it past #18.

You've apparently never had jury duty in a large metro courthouse. At least in Chicago, selection for jury candidates for a given case is all done randomly.

Skip

Nope just in this podunk town called DALLAS TX chair.gif I have been called in at least a dozen times and served on 2 jurries flag.gif
Crazyhippy
What else do you have to do Elliot....

You're RETARDED...errr Retired, well maybe both biggrin.gif

BJH
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Oct 16 2006, 06:00 PM) *

What else do you have to do Elliot....

You're RETARDED...errr Retired, well maybe both biggrin.gif

BJH

Someone finally gets it right!!! av-943.gif
MattR
"They need me down at WalMart to greet all the nice people"
Aaron Cox
hahahahha!!!!

+1 matt....

BTW - why do they swab the guys arm prior to lethal injection? last second infection or what?
Brando
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 16 2006, 06:23 PM) *
hahahahha!!!!

+1 matt....

BTW - why do they swab the guys arm prior to lethal injection? last second infection or what?

I have always wondered that as well... Why not stick 'em with the dirtiest, rustiest AIDS-infected used needle from a coke whore?
Howard
Kamikaze pilots wore helmets. blink.gif
Allan
They also have braille writing on drive up atm's.
GTPatrick
You can always try the old " I have a medical condition " reason if you want to get out of the jury duty gig . Get a Dr.'s written excuse .

But then again, it's like voting . If you don't vote don't bitch about the outcome . So if you don't participate at least once in the legal/court jury system , then you can't gripe about how how jurys screw things up .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.