Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !!! NEW CLUB SERVER !!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
ok, the NEW club server is running. smilie_pokal.gif
please report any bugs and unusual behavior right here in this thread!

thanks,
Andy
Qarl
Bugs and errors...

You get some sort of SMTP Mail Script error when posting messages. Users think you are not able to post and therefore submit a second time.... generating a duplicate post...
redshift
Unreachable all day, even for members.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(kellzey @ Nov 6 2003, 06:04 PM)
Bugs and errors...

You get some sort of SMTP Mail Script error when posting messages. Users think you are not able to post and therefore submit a second time.... generating a duplicate post...

yepp, i'm on that one ...
SirAndy
grrrrr, where is it still getting that old email from ?????

argh fighting19.gif
Mark Henry
Getting a lot of "this page cannot be displayed"

And it was a total bitch logging on. ( ya, I know, great day to dump my net temp files and cookies)
TheCabinetmaker
Andy, I have to log in every time I visit, and when I click on the first unread post icon it always sends me to the first post on topic, then the unread post icon doesn't go away. confused24.gif
ThinAir
This is a new behaviour, but a welcome one. It used to be that if I looked at a topic and used the back button to go back to the list I would get different behaviors depending upon which browser I was using. IE6 would go back and show me the previous page just the way I left it. Mozilla would go back, but always go back to the top of the page. Now Mozilla remembers how far down the page I was. That's nice! boldblue.gif
redshift
Keeps crashing it seems, every couple minutes.

lMnop
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 6 2003, 06:21 PM)
Andy, I have to log in every time I visit, and when I click on the first unread post icon it always sends me to the first post on topic, then the unread post icon doesn't go away. confused24.gif

hmmmmm.

1) i think it now actually jumps to the last post you read in a thread, not just the very last one in line.

2) i get that too. i'll have to look into that.

anything else? smash.gif smash.gif
Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 6 2003, 06:40 PM)
Keeps crashing it seems, every couple minutes.

i was still stopping/restarting the service ...

should be stable now,
Andy
redshift
You are evil then, Evil doer.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 6 2003, 06:51 PM)
You are evil then, Evil doer.

happy11.gif i don't disagree ...
Jon Hirst
Jeepers - I just joined yesterday and I couldn't even get on today to have a look around with my newly anointed "registered member" powers of enhanced BBS display ! sad.gif

Ahhh - but now the site is on the new server and all is well. clap56.gif

Now if you will excuse me I have 3 more pages of the "members cars" posts to go over and a Mr. Gints "rust-oration" thread to study.

The Admin and members are to be congratulated on both your great site and the entertaining conversations.

Thanks.

Jon (rookie confused24.gif but glad to be here mueba.gif )
krk
Andy,

First, my alternator still doesn't work. You probably need need a new server. Check with Brad on this -- he's probably forgotten.

Secondly, I had to put in almost a full day at work. Let's not make a habit of this "outage" thing, eh?

Other than that, it seems fine.

kim.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jon Hirst @ Nov 6 2003, 07:35 PM)
Jon (rookie confused24.gif but glad to be here mueba.gif )

welcome jon, you've come to the right place! smilie_pokal.gif

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(krk @ Nov 6 2003, 07:53 PM)
First, my alternator still doesn't work. You probably need need a new server. Check with Brad on this -- he's probably forgotten.

didn't you read the fine-print when you signed up? confused24.gif
krk
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 6 2003, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE(krk @ Nov 6 2003, 07:53 PM)

didn't you read the fine-print when you signed up? confused24.gif

Nah, I just figured that when you switched to the new server, many wrongs (and failed alternators are definitely in the "wrong" category) would be righted. laugh.gif

Glad to see the new gear is running well! I'm sure the switch was more fun than you're letting on.... :-)

kim.
Jeroen
Lessee if this posts... biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Works like a charm!!!

Great job Andy clap56.gif

Make sure you have a couple of beer.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
I'll be buying him those beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Thanks Andy. I think you know how important this place is to me. clap56.gif

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 6 2003, 08:21 PM)
Make sure you have a couple of beer.gif

working on it as we speak.

beerchug.gif beer3.gif icon8.gif
GWN7
After I have read a thread and then click on the forum bar (either top or bottom of the page) it takes me back to the forums listings. There is a red box at the begining of each the threads. (Not the envelope one) This used to change colour, indicating (to me ) that I had read that thread. Now it stays red?? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 6 2003, 10:01 PM)
After I have read a thread and then click on the forum bar (either top or bottom of the page) it takes me back to the forums listings. There is a red box at the begining of each the threads. (Not the envelope one) This used to change colour, indicating (to me ) that I had read that thread. Now it stays red?? confused24.gif

yepp, i get that too. confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Andy, it's still doing the same thing. If I click on the red unread post box it takes me to the first post in the the thread only if it's one page. If it's a two page thread it goes to the first unread post. When I hit my back button the red box is still there.

I still have to log in everytime fighting19.gif
Rusty
Andy,

Thanks for your work on this.

Servers & software cost money. Do you need any to help defray club costs?

-Rusty
Mark Henry
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 7 2003, 04:36 AM)

Same here, sometimes more than once.

Plus the envelopes don't work for me as well.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Nov 7 2003, 06:51 AM)
Andy,

Thanks for your work on this.

Servers & software cost money. Do you need any to help defray club costs?

-Rusty

Yes Andy, Thanks for all your work on the site all the time. smilie_pokal.gif Ok, thanks to the rest of you admin guys too!

Sorry, I can't help with cash at this time
Jeroen
Andy,

I think you need to look into the e-mail...
I no longer get "subcription e-mails"
And the e-mail function on the classifieds doesn't seem to work either

cheers,

Jeroen
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 7 2003, 06:55 AM)

Same here, sometimes more than once.

Plus the envelopes don't work for me as well.

Yep, just took five times to log in.
Bruce Allert
Looks like the calendar is advancing slow. At 7 AM it says it is the 6th of Nov when it's the 7th.
bruce
fiid
boldblue.gif Looks pretty good to me. Awesome work guys!

beerchug.gif
airsix
Andy,
You I see you closed up the SMB ports, but you you've got some other open ports that really should be closed on the public side.
You've got unencrypted X11 open on ports 6000 and 6001. I'd definitely close those. Also, the mysql server is open on port 3306. You can close this on the external interface since apache accesses it via the localhost, not the public interface (same for X windows, though I wouldn't even have X on a server like this - use ssh for everything). Sunrpc is open on port 111, and you should probably just kill that service as well. VNC is unencrypted and open on 5801 and 5901. Like I said about X - I'd kill these services and just use ssh for any remote work. I don't have any experience with redhat's webmin (on your port 10000) so I can't really comment on it, but basically I close up eveyrthing but ssh, http, and https.

I hope this analysis is usefull and doesn't offend. smile.gif

-Ben
fiid
I would close everything except HTTP, HTTPS and SSH - unless you are running a mail server. I have more different advice on that.

Fiid.
SirAndy
Andy, it's still doing the same thing. If I click on the red unread post box it takes me to the first post in the the thread only if it's one page. If it's a two page thread it goes to the first unread post. When I hit my back button the red box is still there.

it will take a few days to figure this out ...

huh? the cookie works for me! anyone else has that problem?
do you have cookies turned off? too strict IEe security settings? didn't check the "keep my login info" checkbox?

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 7 2003, 06:00 AM)

idea.gif hmmm ...
TheCabinetmaker
cookies are enabled
security settings are where they always have been
checked the keep my log in box
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ Nov 7 2003, 10:02 AM)
I hope this analysis is usefull and doesn't offend. smile.gif

i know i know, no offense taken. thing is, while setting this thing up, i don't care about holes and open ports. i use the X and remote VNC to finish the setup of the box. same with mySQL, i remotely log in. same with webmin etc etc.

once the damm thing works right, i'll be closing it down.

see, you can't really (well, not with our time and budget restrains anyways) set up the box compeltely until it's in place at the colo.

so, just look at it as work in progress ...
Andy
SirAndy
ok, on the remeber login problem,

make sure you delete ALL old 914club cookies, then close ALL browser windows, open your browser again and log in.

this worked fine for me.
what OS/Browser combo are you cookie-problem guys running?

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 7 2003, 06:00 AM)

i think that's because the main DNS (including MX records) has not yet been switched to the colo. still runs off brads box at home ...

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Nov 7 2003, 10:35 AM)
unless you are running a mail server. I have more different advice on that.

yes we will/do.
advice please ...

Andy
Andyrew
Dont know if anyone said this before, but the "New" threads have the main wording in the center and not on the left, the words under them are fine though..

Andrwe
Brad Roberts
DNS is done.

Soon everything will break...LOL

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 7 2003, 12:11 PM)
Dont know if anyone said this before, but the "New" threads have the main wording in the center and not on the left, the words under them are fine though..

huh? confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 7 2003, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 7 2003, 12:11 PM)

huh? confused24.gif

I've seen this happen on rare occasions before, I just exit and reopen and it fixes itself.

Andy, I've deleted all cookies and temp int files, relogged in. no change.
Brad Roberts
Reboot the machine...LOL

Mine works fine. I actually havent seen ANY of these issues... (I"m lucky I guess)

B
Jeroen
Yep, I've got log-in trouble NOW...
I clean my computer from some unwanted crap and cleared all cookies too
Now I need to log-in every time I visit this site (we had this issue in the very early days)
Weird, cause BEFORE I cleaned my cookies, it worked fine...

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
it wont "fade" the psts that i just read wink.gif
Qarl
New problem...

search for all posts by a user displays results in an unusual order... it's not chronologically.

I think it searches at first, for the most recent post by the user, THEN, it scans through that thread and displays all results from that thread... and then goes to the next most recent post.

I think it should display posts in chronological order only.
dsmeyer
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 7 2003, 08:41 PM)
Yep, I've got log-in trouble NOW...
I clean my computer from some unwanted crap and cleared all cookies too
Now I need to log-in every time I visit this site (we had this issue in the very early days)
Weird, cause BEFORE I cleaned my cookies, it worked fine...

I've got this same problem now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.