Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 bolt 914 rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jasons
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Oct 31 2006, 02:48 PM) *

Handmade one off wheels (bought them off some guy in Florida)

Pedrini centers mated to Enkei aluminium 8" rims. The guy who built them had some skills.

Super light and they look awesome.

I have the big brothers to yours. From the same seller as yours on ebay. Actually they are half sold to a clubmember.

8" & 9.5" x 16"

IPB Image
grantsfo
Keizer

IPB Image
carr914
These were like minilites with different offsets F&R. Like a dumbass I sold them to Automobile Atlanta in 1997. That reminds me, we haven't had a AA bashing lately.

T.C.
mskala
Never knew there were so many different types.

I still haven't seen a pic of the type I used to have (on a parts car 20 years
ago so no pics). They were aluminum, with dozens of very thin spokes, and
had 'Western' name hub caps that stuck out a couple inches, you could have
used them for coffee mugs.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(mskala @ Nov 1 2006, 09:05 AM) *

They were aluminum, with dozens of very thin spokes, and
had 'Western' name hub caps that stuck out a couple inches

Western Turbos maybe?
IPB Image
BMartin914
QUOTE(jasons @ Oct 31 2006, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(hmeeder @ Oct 31 2006, 02:48 PM) *

Handmade one off wheels (bought them off some guy in Florida)

Pedrini centers mated to Enkei aluminium 8" rims. The guy who built them had some skills.

Super light and they look awesome.

I have the big brothers to yours. From the same seller as yours on ebay. Actually they are half sold to a clubmember.

8" & 9.5" x 16"

IPB Image

Those are very nice.
mudfoot76
HRE 2-piece wheel, I have 205-60/15 tires on them right now and no clearance issues.

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Scott-thundercat @ Oct 24 2006, 09:48 AM) *

IPB Image

these are mine- havent seen any pics of em anywhere yet- any idea what type?

When I worked at the dealership in 73/74, those were known as McAffee wheels, and were also available as a brand known as P/S wheels. Made in So Cal (like all the good stuff!).

The Cap'n
mskala
QUOTE(RockinOldSchool @ Nov 1 2006, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mskala @ Nov 1 2006, 09:05 AM) *

They were aluminum, with dozens of very thin spokes, and
had 'Western' name hub caps that stuck out a couple inches

Western Turbos maybe?
IPB Image

Rockin',
I don't think those are them. I'm remembering more spokes, thinner ones,
and the curve was opposite to your pic. Wish I had a pic. This was in the
80's.

JMPVW73
Bump
I nominate this topic to be "nailed" because it has turned out to be a pretty good wheel guide.
teen914
here are the rims that were on my dad's car. they are bug wheels, so they dont fight the best. but now they're on my bug
Scott-thundercat
thanks captn, i think i remember reading "p/s" on the hubcaps- but since im 3 hrs away i cant check it! thanks!
Bigbohr
Also bug wheels ...
DNHunt
QUOTE(teen914 @ Nov 4 2006, 10:57 PM) *

here are the rims that were on my dad's car. they are bug wheels, so they dont fight the best. but now they're on my bug

Ya, and one of these days you're gonna have to pay me for them too. biggrin.gif

Dad
Mueller
uncommon wheels for a 4 lug 914....17x8 Revolution with 245's....

IPB Image
Michael J
Centerlines on a car I was looking at in Oregon.
Someone else bought it - hope they're a member.
914rrr
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 31 2006, 04:29 PM) *

These were like minilites with different offsets F&R. Like a dumbass I sold them to Automobile Atlanta in 1997. That reminds me, we haven't had a AA bashing lately.

T.C.

I remember those, TC. I think they were made by a company called "Superior". They were 7" wide x 15" and would fit up to 225's under stock fenders. George probably still has 'em. I'd bet he'd sell 'em, for $1000.....EACH!!!!! av-943.gif
914rrr
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 31 2006, 09:06 AM) *

Cone seat not ball seat. I had the same question and didn't look too hard because the solution to go to cone seat was common: the cone seat used a 1" wide, cobolt steel, 60 deg, single flute countersink bit in a drill press with a nice depth stop...having the tire off would have been better but I was needing a low budget solution and having the tires on/off was not cheap.

Also, I am selling my 12 old lug bolts in sets of 4....one set gone. Let me know if you'd like some. Good luck! beerchug.gif

I may be interested in 2 sets of 4. I just picked up a set of fake 5.5x15 centerlines (by American Eagle?) and I only got 8 lugs total. Got any pics of the lugs?

Rob
yarin
Good old panasports...
Derek.ks
They were white, but I repainted them.
cnavarro
ATS and the black minilites are my favorites.
MoveQik
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Oct 24 2006, 04:57 AM) *

Just got these yesterday. Revolutions. I love the way these look..
Sorry not a great picture....

Whoa! The chatter box from RRC stepped up his wheels! Looks great thumb3d.gif
tat2dphreak
this is a classic thread if I ever saw one!
Joe Bob
4x130 wheels

Try this link
jwalters
biggrin.gif Cookies, 8 1/2" wide all four , repainted centers and polished lips on BlackSabbath - -

Need to get the center caps still tho , been on the car over 1 1/2 years now >>>

carr914
I like Cookie Cutters, but wasn't this a 4 bolt thread?

T.C.
Mueller
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 10 2006, 03:02 PM) *

biggrin.gif Cookies, 8 1/2" wide all four , repainted centers and polished lips on BlackSabbath - -

Need to get the center caps still tho , been on the car over 1 1/2 years now >>>

try 7" wide......unless you had those custom made....
jwalters
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 10 2006, 06:43 PM) *

I like Cookie Cutters, but wasn't this a 4 bolt thread?

T.C.

biggrin.gif I have four bolt adapters!! So these are in spirit 4 bolt wheels!! nah, nah, nah, nah bootyshake.gif

biggrin.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 10 2006, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 10 2006, 03:02 PM) *

dry.gif Man, are you going to question my every statement or what?? flipa.gif

headbang.gif I built the car from the ground up -you KNOW that - jeesh! bootyshake.gif

poke.gif poke.gif laugh.gif

Mueller
[quote name='jwalters' date='Nov 10 2006, 04:59 PM' post='813771']
[/quote]

dry.gif Man, are you going to question my every statement or what?? flipa.gif

headbang.gif I built the car from the ground up -you KNOW that - jeesh! bootyshake.gif

poke.gif poke.gif laugh.gif
[/quote]

fine, let some poor bastard buy a set of those thinking they are 8.5" wide only to find out he got screwed in the deal......... screwy.gif

jwalters
confused24.gif Did you miss a few doses of happy pills?? Are you really this "serious" all the time, <or> are you really just screwing with me.

Cause honestly I cannot tell, dude - confused24.gif

ph34r.gif
blabla914
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 10 2006, 07:45 PM) *

confused24.gif Did you miss a few doses of happy pills?? Are you really this "serious" all the time, <or> are you really just screwing with me.

ph34r.gif

I think he's just trying to tell you that factory cookies are either 6" or 7". An 8.5" cookie would be a custom made wheel. Did you have the wheels custom made?

Kelly
jwalters
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Nov 11 2006, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 10 2006, 07:45 PM) *

ph34r.gif

I think he's just trying to tell you that factory cookies are either 6" or 7". An 8.5" cookie would be a custom made wheel. Did you have the wheels custom made?

Kelly

Yea I know, guess the humor got "lost in translation" -

Nope, I did not do it. I found them in the local U-pull-it junkyard. Two were still mounted to a 944 turbo, found one 75 yards away in one direction. Found the other being used as a jackstand for a BMW 1600 (wish I snapped that car when I had the chance!) The check out girl did not have a clue as to what they were. The PO had sprayed them bright silver. She thought they were run of the mill metal rims. Charged me 9 dollars apeice...........Still wish I got the 1600 beemer , oh well dry.gif
hmeeder
Forgot these wheels I have in the side yard.

They are 5.5 inch wide and have a traditional US mag seat.

To use them I used to use those cheese ass 14mm-1/2" screw in conversion studs.

Someone once told me that they are"Haney Wheels" but I haven't been able to substantiate that.

They looked pretty good on the car, I thought. Just couldn't get enough meat under the fenders.

Didn't Dave Darling used to have a 4 lug page over on the bird? I can't seem to find it now.
jwalters
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Nov 11 2006, 09:06 PM) *

Someone once told me that they are"Haney Wheels" but I haven't been able to substantiate that.

They looked pretty good on the car, I thought. Just couldn't get enough meat under the fenders.

Didn't Dave Darling used to have a 4 lug page over on the bird? I can't seem to find it now.

Those are nice! I like them...
bernbomb914
ATS I have 6" rears and 5.5 Ft, they are my favorite
Bernie
SGB
I would like to know those lug dimensions for the bolts that Chnis and The Capt have. What up, Mannen (I live in "Das Hood"). you guys got similar nuts? Haw haw.

Really. I'm still looking for lugs for the western wheels I bought a while ago. They neeedd that crazy "washer and bolt" combo w/ 19mm head. Any input? Between the two partial sets and the need reflected above to buy 8 of 12, if the size is right I'll take the rest! 12+15-8=19. Lets see if it will work. Post descriptions/ dimensions for the bolts mentioined as "available" please.
jwalters
QUOTE(Scott-thundercat @ Oct 24 2006, 12:48 PM) *

IPB Image

One of my parts cars had a set of these on it -I still have them. I saw a factory magazine ad for the 914 circa 1971, I believe. They were on the car on the ad -

I thought these were a factory wheel -

Can anybody elaborate??
hmeeder
QUOTE(Scott-thundercat @ Oct 24 2006, 12:48 PM)

One of my parts cars had a set of these on it -I still have them. I saw a factory magazine ad for the 914 circa 1971, I believe. They were on the car on the ad -

I thought these were a factory wheel -

Can anybody elaborate??

I have heard them called alternately "Western Wheels" and "Gurney Wheels" and they are definitely not a stock wheel.
mskala
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 10 2006, 05:32 PM) *

4x130 wheels

Try this link

Yes! Heckuva link.

Now I found the ones I used to have on my parts car.
Joe Bob
See.....admins are worth what they pay us.....
Dave-O
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Nov 9 2006, 12:24 PM) *

ATS and the black minilites are my favorites.

An excuse for more pictures!

JPB

Me likes!! smilie_pokal.gif Gonna have to do the same on my Westerns thumb3d.gif
JMPVW73
QUOTE(JMPVW73 @ Oct 25 2006, 02:15 AM) *

This link has the largest wheel guide I have found for 5x205, 4x130 and 5x130(?).
http://www.runtrod.com/gallery/main.php

QUOTE(mskala @ Nov 12 2006, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 10 2006, 05:32 PM) *

4x130 wheels

Try this link

Yes! Heckuva link.

Now I found the ones I used to have on my parts car.

I know, that's why I posted it. I try not to post unless I have something to contribute and it bothers me when people post in a thread they havent read.
bernbomb914
Amen
jwalters
Do any companies widen aluminum rims?? I remember seenig it done years and years ago for crotch rockets.
Joe Bob
More than a few....Weidman was in Excellence recently...he offered to do my Mahles.....for mucho $$$....and they are magnesium.....
SGB
QUOTE(JPB @ Nov 12 2006, 03:30 PM) *

Me likes!! smilie_pokal.gif Gonna have to do the same on my Westerns thumb3d.gif

Man I like that too. I'm gonna have to try to duplicate that idea as well. Hope you don't mind (like that would stop me...)

Oh- not "Haney" but "Gurney" as in Dan Gurney- he sold his name for a bit of easy $. I would too.
jwalters
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 12 2006, 07:01 PM) *

More than a few....Weidman was in Excellence recently...he offered to do my Mahles.....for mucho $$$....and they are magnesium.....

idea.gif hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks!
hmeeder
Oh- not "Haney" but "Gurney" as in Dan Gurney- he sold his name for a bit of easy $. I would too.

Last time I posted these wheels someone had said that they were Gurney's but I think that may be a result of the face-on photo.

The ones that I have always seen referred to as Gurney's (or Westerns) have curved ribs (see phot from Scott-thundercat), whereas these have flat ribs.

Maybe a different shot will make it clearer. Of course, that doesn't mean that they are not a different Gurney wheel.

I just checked what I had in my records and it was "Hannis Wheel." Not Haney. He's the guy from Green Acres.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.