Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reccomendations on ways to learn how to drive better
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
anthony
Yeah, but it was so much fun kicking 914 butt in a big, heavy wine and cheese car! biggrin.gif

With the new motor next year I'll be more likely to autocross the 914 next year.
PatW
[quote name='Joe Ricard' date='Nov 2 2006, 09:56 AM' post='807971']
After I figured out I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I got a hot shoe co-driver to teach me what fast looked like.
My 1st ride with him in my car was like "holy shit" his hands were moving in a blur his feet were even faster. He was also saying "holy shit" with this car is faster than he was.

I "heard or read" somewhere that your hands control the car in feet on the track and your feet control the car in inches. Or was it the other way around?.
914z
Tony,
There is nothing better than seat time, seat time, seat time!
But, Vic Elfords' book "PORSCHE HIGH PORFORMANCE DRIVING HANDBOOK"is a real good start. I always tell my students to read the book to understand the concepts.

Study the track you are going to be on with somebody you can trust to show you the correct procedures and will stay with you until you get the hang of it.

By the way, On January 26 and 27, 2007, PORSCHE OWNERS CLUB [email=porscheownersclub.org]porscheownersclub.org[/email]will be on the Streets of Willow @ Willow Springs Intenational Raceway. We have a drivers' school on Sat and a full day of racing on Sunday all for the measley price of approx. $200.00 for the weekend. Satruday is all instruction and lead and follow. Sunday they give you an instructor for your (5) run sessions or for as many sessions as you need. You will go home tired, Happy and a lot better driver. I f you make it thru your 1st weekend and are willing to stick with it (3) events latter you could get issued a STS racing license. driving.gif

This is a real high quality event and we have turned out some pretty assume talent out of the club.

Anyway, I drive a dead stock 74 914, I currently hold the track record for my class at Streets, I mix it up with 911s, 944s, 996s, BMWs(breakmywallet) Lotus's, Comaros Mustangs, etc. just about anything that comes around. I may not have the power (100 bhp DIN(Deutschland Invented Numbers), but I sure do enjoy the look in their eyes when I'm riding their perverbial butts thru the turns. Yeah, they run away on the straights but they have a hard time running away in the twistys.

As always I'm willing to help I've learned from some of the best.
I have also instructed at the 2005 WCC at Willow.

Please feel free to contact me and we can talk more.
213)251-9530 hm.
213)725-0059 cell(not on when I'm driving, anywhere!)
949)297-1413 wk.(it's ok to call me here)
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.